ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: If You ________ You Might Just Be a Deist. Are You?

Are you a Deist? A Christian Deist?

• Apparently I am a Deist, but I never realized it until now.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
America was historically founded by deists. Not Christians. Culturally speaking deism has always been our primary religious culture.

Deism is the belief in the existence of God (often, but not necessarily, a God who does not intervene in the universe after creating it), solely based on rational thought without any reliance on revealed religions or religious authority.

Deism emphasizes the concept of natural theology—that is, God's existence is revealed through nature.

Christian deism ... refers to Deists who believe in the moral teachings—but not the divinity—of Jesus. Corbett and Corbett (1999) cite John Adams and Thomas Jefferson as exemplars.

I've softened from atheist to agnostic. God could exist and equally not exists in my opinion. I don't have any evidence for the existence, I just try to live a moral and good life without religion. Christian Deism seems more up my alley. I've always felt compelled to Jesus's moral teachings, (along with other religions) but not the magical power/prophecy stuff. I'll do some more reading on it.

I've softened from atheist to agnostic. God could exist and equally not exists in my opinion. I don't have any evidence for the existence, I just try to live a moral and good life without religion. Christian Deism seems more up my alley. I've always felt compelled to Jesus's moral teachings, (along with other religions) but not the magical power/prophecy stuff. I'll do some more reading on it.

Good answer and excellent video. I had to open it in YouTube just so I could like it.

In my opinion, if you agree with Neil, you should call yourself an atheist. Yeah, yeah, you may be only 99.9% atheist, but get off the fence.

Any good atheist will acknowledge that facts can change his position. So if you want to leave the door open to those highly improbable facts, be my guest; but don't hold the door open.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT