ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Mandatory Church Attendance?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
State Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, brought it up during a committee meeting Tuesday while lawmakers were debating a gun bill concerning concealed weapons permits, not religion.

Allen explained that without a "moral rebirth" in the country, more people may feel the need to carry a weapon.

"I believe what's happening to our country is that there's a moral erosion of the soul of America," she said.

"It's the soul that is corrupt. How we get back to a moral rebirth I don't know. Since we are slowly eroding religion at every opportunity that we have. Probably we should be debating a bill requiring every American to attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to having a moral rebirth," she told the committee.

Link

Beyonce said the same thing, she had a different prescription however.

fc0ad305a39def83bf44eed8f57f494f.jpg

If this passes I'm so starting my own church.

Originally posted by bdg8:

because no conservative, god fearing man carries a gun. This might be one of the stupidest ideas I have heard
Setting aside her absurd attempt to equate religion with morality, she does make a good point. Why are we so determined to guarantee gun rights to people who may lack moral values? Sure, just making people go to church won't guarantee they have a moral compass. But the idea of keeping guns out of the hands of those without a moral compass does have a certain appeal.

Mandatory weekly church attendance at the church of your choice. Good idea?

JHFM&J!!! Sylvia, you are bat-crap crazy!!!

If mandatory, I will continue to attend the Church of Mother Nature every Sunday as I have been doing for the last umpteen years...nothing soothes the soul like a long hike in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado.

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

because no conservative, god fearing man carries a gun. This might be one of the stupidest ideas I have heard
Setting aside her absurd attempt to equate religion with morality, she does make a good point. Why are we so determined to guarantee gun rights to people who may lack moral values? Sure, just making people go to church won't guarantee they have a moral compass. But the idea of keeping guns out of the hands of those without a moral compass does have a certain appeal.
How about a bill that mandates all guns must be kept locked up at church? You can get them out after communion. I was watching an episode of that TV show "Turned" about the revolutionary war. In it the town had a central depository for guns which coincidently was the town church. Of course the church was occupied by the British, but that doesn't fit my narrative so lets leave that bit aside.
uzi.r191677.gif

Mandatory Church Attendance is a bad idea and
a legalistic form of sectarianism.

Voluntary Church Attendance is the norm for a
healthy Christianity. It comes from a heart of
love and thanksgiving for Jesus Christ who is our
Lord and Savior.

Bottom Line: Christians attend church worship
services out of loving gratitude for the blessings
which Christ has given us.

Depends what church they are to mandatorily attend. If it were mine, would probably be a good thing for most people. If it were many others, it would just make them more judgmental and backward-thinking than they already are.

But no. 100x no. Terrible idea.

We cannot even make mandatory attendance
for elementary and high school education.
Kids are skipping out and flunking out everywhere.
Public education is available, yet not everyone
takes advantage.

Originally posted by LuteHawk:

We cannot even make mandatory attendance
for elementary and high school education.
Kids are skipping out and flunking out everywhere.
Public education is available, yet not everyone
takes advantage.
Is this a vote for national boarding school?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by BondHawk:
Depends what church they are to mandatorily attend. If it were mine, would probably be a good thing for most people. If it were many others, it would just make them more judgmental and backward-thinking than they already are.

The first part of this is is so swell. Not sure if you get why, but it's delightful.
This post was edited on 3/27 8:31 PM by JWolf74

Originally posted by JWolf74:

Originally posted by BondHawk:

The first part of this is is so swell. Not sure if you get why, but it's delightful.
This post was edited on 3/27 8:31 PM by JWolf74
Delicious, isn't it?

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

How about a bill that mandates all guns must be kept locked up at church? You can get them out after communion. I was watching an episode of that TV show "Turned" about the revolutionary war. In it the town had a central depository for guns which coincidently was the town church. Of course the church was occupied by the British, but that doesn't fit my narrative so lets leave that bit aside.
uzi.r191677.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Turn is a good show. Jesus makes a good point, it would be nice to keep guns out of the hands of the most dangerous people, the mentally ill and "those without a moral compass." I'm not sure how we could realistically go about doing that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT