ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Netanyahu Compares BDS to Nazis - Do you Agree?

Do you agree with the comparison of BDS with early Nazi attacks on Jews?

• Total voters
I think it's funny that on an anonymous poll on an anonymous board people seem to be afraid to vote on an issue that might be perceived as critical of Israel. What does that tell us about the state of debate in America?

Talk about PC....

Reactions: moral_victory
I think it's funny that on an anonymous poll on an anonymous board people seem to be afraid to vote on an issue that might be perceived as critical of Israel. What does that tell us about the state of debate in America?

Talk about PC....
I think nobody ever heard of all of this stuff, bibi should have just said the Palestinians are Nazis or something

I've said it 100 times on this board. The only thing you can compare the Nazi's is Stalinist USSR, China until Mao died, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Papa Doc, and a few others. People urging divestiture may be annoying, but, until they start herding folks into gas chambers to compare them to the Nazi's is a pathetic attempt to garner attention and support. Not surprising Bibi is going this route.

Reactions: HallofFame
I've said it 100 times on this board. The only thing you can compare the Nazi's is Stalinist USSR, China until Mao died, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Papa Doc, and a few others. People urging divestiture may be annoying, but, until they start herding folks into gas chambers to compare them to the Nazi's is a pathetic attempt to garner attention and support. Not surprising Bibi is going this route.
While you raise very good points, my problem with this assessment is that it reflects a dangerous sort of revisionism about Nazi Germany. It leaves the impression that the main bad thing about the Nazis was the Holocaust.

I'm NOT saying that you, lucas, are taking that position. But I honestly believe that there are plenty of folks here who would have trouble explaining why we fought Hitler if not for 2 things. Obviously one of them is that Germany declared war against us. The other is the Holocaust. But we did NOT fight the Nazis because of the Holocaust. Not even slightly. Wasn't an issue.

We fought the Nazis for a bunch of perfectly good reasons and we opposed Nazi fascism because we (with the exception of some industrialists and racists) found fascist authoritarianism a threat. Not because we cared about what was happening to Jews. Sure, we should have cared about what was happening to Jews (and the other demographic groups the Nazis singled out), but we simply didn't.

Who was it that postulated a rule saying that the first person in a political argument to mention Hitler or the Nazis loses?

BDS, for those who don't know, is the movement to boycott, divest from, and sanction Israel - patterned after the successful movement against South Africa.

Here's an interesting LINK.

Not entirely sure why this is getting air play now. Netanyahu has been saying similar things for a while.

Possibly because Hillary just came out against BDS.
I didn't vote because I couldn't find any reference to him comparing BDS to Nazism. I may well have missed it. If he did that, I'm agin' it and I lean right. All I saw was a reference to similar treatment in the past preceding persecution, which seems obviously true.

Talk about PC....

Maybe your poll just wasn't good.

Actually, you seemed to have problems with why your poll wasn't popular. I gave you an answer, are you having trouble accepting it?
Why do you assume I care if my polls are popular? Is that because if you bothered to do a poll you'd be doing it to feel popular? I do it to learn what people think. Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't. It's an internet board.

Why do you assume I care if my polls are popular? Is that because if you bothered to do a poll you'd be doing it to feel popular? I do it to learn what people think. Sometimes it works out that way, sometimes it doesn't. It's an internet board.

You questioned why no one responded, deep down it just wasn't an interesting question to the members of this board. Nothing more and nothing less.

Except for those Arabs living in Israel and serving in the Knesset, right?
I heard that something like 1.2 million Arabs are Israeli citizens. Or maybe it was 1.2 million Muslims.

Some supporters of Israel worry that it could become a majority Arab nation if they don't take measures. But what measures?

There are those who see Netanyahu's demand that Israel be recognized as a Jewish state - and not merely recognized as a state - as signaling a future where Arabs and Muslims are treated as second class citizens by law to maintain the Jewishness of the state.

It is a little extreme to say that they Holocaust had no influence on our policy surrounding the war. It did eventually. I believe it is a mischaracterization. Early in the evolution of the Reich, the US raised less than even an eyebrow about the treatment of the Jews, but it became a more significant focus later.

I didnt vote as i am hoping that my abstention will lessen the number of polls on the board. I enjoy the discussion of the topics more.
Nazis were sort of the muhammad ali of genocide and rascism. Hard to compare others before and after. Nazis were great at propoganda. As was Ali. They also had staying power compared to the careers of other fascist despots. Some, as mentioned above were there in sympathy with the Nazis. Just not quite up to snuff.

The voting is somewhat interesting. A pretty clear but hardly absolute difference between Ds and Rs in the expected direction. But whereas our libertarians often look like Rs, they are evenly divided on this one, so far. Small sample caveat and all that, but still....

ADVERTISEMENT