ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Nikki Haley or Mike Pompeo?

If the next President had to be either Haley or Pompeo, who would you prefer?

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
These 2 presidential hopefuls are at odds over a claim in Pompeo's new book that Haley was engaged in a plot to dump Mike Pence and assume the Vice Presidency herself.

Nikki Haley accuses Pompeo of ‘lies and gossip to sell book’ after vice-president plot claim

Former UN ambassador hits back at former secretary of state as jockeying for Republican presidential primary hots up

Nikki Haley said the former secretary of state Mike Pompeo’s claim that she plotted to replace Mike Pence as Donald Trump’s vice-president was “lies and gossip to sell a book”.

The former United Nations ambassador spoke to Fox News on Thursday evening, after the Guardian obtained a copy of Pompeo’s forthcoming memoir, Never Give An Inch, and reported his comments about Haley.

Haley resigned from the Trump administration in October 2018. Before that, Pompeo says, she set up a personal meeting with Trump in the Oval Office without checking with him.

Pompeo writes that John Kelly, then Trump’s chief of staff, thought Haley had in fact been accompanied by Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner as they presented “a possible ‘Haley for vice-president’ option”.

Pompeo also writes unfavourably of Haley’s performance as UN ambassador and criticises her resignation.

Speaking to Fox News, Haley said: “I don’t know why he said it, but that’s exactly why I stayed out of DC as much as possible, to get away from the drama.”

She also pointed out that Pompeo says in his book he does not know if the story is true.

Haley and Pompeo are among possible contenders for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024, a contest in which Trump remains the only confirmed candidate.

But Haley seems set to run.

She told Fox News: “We are still working through things and we’ll figure it out. I’ve never lost a race. I said that then I still say that now. I’m not going to lose now.”

Haley turns 51 on Friday. In a remark seemingly directed at Joe Biden, who is 80, but also Donald Trump, who is 76, she said: “I don’t think you need to be 80 years old to go be a leader in DC. I think we need a young generation to come in, step up and really start fixing things. Can I be that leader? Yes, I think I can be that leader.”

The former South Carolina governor has attracted support from Kushner’s family. She told Fox News Kushner and his wife were her friends, though she expected they would support Ivanka’s father.

She said: “May the best woman win.”

Pence, the senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley and even the former national security adviser John Bolton are among other possible candidates for the Republican nomination. But two men, Trump and the Florida governor, Ron DeSantis, dominate polling so far.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/oct/02/confidence-man-review-maggie-haberman-donald-trump
On Thursday, Ben Rhodes, a former foreign policy adviser to Barack Obama, wrote: “Pompeo and Haley poised for a real battle to see who can crack 1% in a Republican primary.”

Pompeo’s description of Haley’s supposed meeting with Trump chimed with reports that in 2019 prompted Trump to deny considering replacing Pence as vice-president.

On Thursday, Maggie Haberman, the New York Times reporter and author of the bestselling book Confidence Man: The Making of Donald Trump and the Breaking of America, noted that Kushner and Ivanka Trump “insisted to disbelieving colleagues and Pence allies that they had no role in the Haley/VP rumors”.

When do these wannabes start flocking to Iowa for actual events? State Fair Straw poll?

Not a lot of support for Pompeo, so far, from either left or right.

I'd be curious to hear why those few Pompeo supporters picked him over Haley, if you'd care to share. Is it more something you like about Pompeo, or something you dislike about Haley?

Not a fan of either. I suppose, between the two, I'd choose Haley if a gun was pointed to my head. I used to hold Haley in higher regard, before she bowed down to Trump. I thought she had some scruples........naive on my part, I know. She is a politician, after all.

Yuck… both are very unappealing to me. With Pompeo… Would I have to be the top or the bottom?

Not a lot of support for Pompeo, so far, from either left or right.

I'd be curious to hear why those few Pompeo supporters picked him over Haley, if you'd care to share. Is it more something you like about Pompeo, or something you dislike about Haley?
I chose Pompeo because I dislike Haley and her flip-flopping, lack of courage displays more than Pompeo's suddenly found spine. It's like the choice of being hit in the head with a framing or ball peen hammer.

I chose Pompeo because I dislike Haley and her flip-flopping, lack of courage displays more than Pompeo's suddenly found spine. It's like the choice of being hit in the head with a framing or ball peen hammer.
Pompeo is a disgrace. These are both Hell No options like 99% of current GOP members.

Reactions: MitchLL
Redneck Republicans won't vote for a woman.

Pompeo is even more boring than Pence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT