ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should All Cops Wear Cameras?

I would much rather all politicians wear cameras all day so we can see and listen to their interactions.

Originally posted by HallofFame:
I would much rather all politicians wear cameras all day so we can see and listen to their interactions.
I'm OK with that, too. Maybe not in the bedroom or bathroom, but pretty much everywhere else.

They would find ways to circumvent the intended benefits, of course, but we would notice it. So some good could come out of it.

We also probably wouldn't need term limits. Who would vote for those farting fornicators a second time?

Originally posted by gonegolfing:
They are not free. The extremely rare situation where their feed would be useful doesn't justify the wasting of funds.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
They are (or could be) dirt cheap. Think about it for a minute. You can buy an off-contract smart phone of older vintage with a perfectly good camera in it for $20-30. How expensive is that?

Even if they were expensive, keeping our cops honest, preventing harm from abusive cops, and weeding out the bad cops is pretty much in the "priceless" category.

This should be a no-brainer.

Originally posted by What W...us Do?:
They are not free. The extremely rare situation where their feed would be useful doesn't justify the wasting of funds.
They are (or could be) dirt cheap.  Think about it for a minute.  You can buy an off-contract smart phone of older vintage with a perfectly good camera in it for $20-30.  How expensive is that?

Even if they were expensive, keeping our cops honest, preventing harm from abusive cops, and weeding out the bad cops is pretty much in the "priceless" category.

What about the cost of file maintenance and freedom of information act requests? Not saying I wouldn't support it, but curious if those costs have been figured?

Originally posted by What Would Jesus Do?:

They are (or could be) dirt cheap. Think about it for a minute. You can buy an off-contract smart phone of older vintage with a perfectly good camera in it for $20-30. How expensive is that?

Personally, I see it as being a good idea for all involved. Price? It wouldn't be cheap at all Parser. That information has be stored somewhere, with a staff and equipment to maintain it. Having a camera that would be on at least 50% of a shift, would definitely cost money.

It's not nearly as simple as it sounds.

Additionally, it keeps good cops from being falsely accused of brutality or inappropriate behavior. I think if you could add some type of FOIA exemption for certains situations (cops telling somebody of a death for example) then it is a good idea.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:
Libertarians are more left than right by the way Parser. You're slipping buddy.
Sorry. There are plenty of left libertarians in the world. Hardly any in America. Only 3 on HTOT. I'm one of them. And you're not.

Personally, I see it as being a good idea for all involved. Price? It wouldn't be cheap at all Parser. That information has be stored somewhere, with a staff and equipment to maintain it. Having a camera that would be on at least 50% of a shift, would definitely cost money.

The cameras probably would be cheap, but the infrastructure to effectively support them and have reliable copies of all relevant video wouldn't be cheap. That said, while they wouldn't make sense for every area, it would make a lot of sense in some areas. I wonder what a good, reliable camera system would do to insurance rates for police departments. I think it would seriously reduce both the incident rates of excessive force and the complaints/lawsuits accusing a PD of use of excessive force.

That said, there would definitely be some real challenges to work out when officers have to turn them on/off and how to handle privacy concerns. Here's a scenario: A couple years ago, my house was robbed while we were away over Thanksgiving. Home alarm system fail (hopefully now fixed) and when we got back, we called the police. An officer and a detective came and took some pictures, checked for prints and we filed a report. Nothing ever came of it and we really only lost a couple cheap laptops, but if the officers had cams, how much of the video of them walking through my house would be public record? Could someone troll the video to see where alarms and such are?

All-in-all, I think cams would be a good thing for a lot of PDs around the country, but the expense and the privacy issues make this more complicated than just buying some old GoPros and strapping them on the beat cops.

Originally posted by hawkifann:

The cameras probably would be cheap, but the infrastructure to effectively support them and have reliable copies of all relevant video wouldn't be cheap. That said, while they wouldn't make sense for every area, it would make a lot of sense in some areas. I wonder what a good, reliable camera system would do to insurance rates for police departments. I think it would seriously reduce both the incident rates of excessive force and the complaints/lawsuits accusing a PD of use of excessive force.

That said, there would definitely be some real challenges to work out when officers have to turn them on/off and how to handle privacy concerns. Here's a scenario: A couple years ago, my house was robbed while we were away over Thanksgiving. Home alarm system fail (hopefully now fixed) and when we got back, we called the police. An officer and a detective came and took some pictures, checked for prints and we filed a report. Nothing ever came of it and we really only lost a couple cheap laptops, but if the officers had cams, how much of the video of them walking through my house would be public record? Could someone troll the video to see where alarms and such are?

All-in-all, I think cams would be a good thing for a lot of PDs around the country, but the expense and the privacy issues make this more complicated than just buying some old GoPros and strapping them on the beat cops.
Questions like that are legit and would have to be worked out, but shouldn't be deal breakers.

Originally posted by HallofFame:
Or just ask the NSA for a copy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT