ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should gun safety be taught in elementary schools?

Should gun safety be taught in elementary schools?

• Yes

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • Don't know/No opinion

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
I voted no, seems impractical, although maybe some very basic education could be included with the active shooter drills?

No, but high school maybe, like drivers ed. I could have skipped my square dancing PE class for gun safety.
If it were high school kid's finding loaded guns and shooting people I could get your point, but it's the 8 year old's
Gun safety needs to start with the owner, pure and simple. but kids need to be taught to leave the area and get an adult. That should be the gun safety lesson, and it needs to be taught early and often.

ee12010_1.jpg

Impractical how?

I figured you'd need qualified people to come in and teach such a course. I also figured there's more worthy topics to teach. But I do realize that gun violence in a quintessential part of American life, so if some basics can be taught incorporation with active shooter drills, it might be practical and make sense.

I figured you'd need qualified people to come in and teach such a course. I also figured there's more worthy topics to teach. But I do realize that gun violence in a quintessential part of American life, so if some basics can be taught incorporation with active shooter drills, it might be practical and make sense.

As @Gimmered just shared, there are programs in place with qualified instructors.

I would imagine the resistance comes from the general liberalness of public school educators and administrators.

For most kids this would be all they need. For others, the curiosity needs to be satisfied. Programs could also be in place that would teach these kids how destructive guns are and how to safely handle them.

When I was about seven years old, my dad took me out into the woods with a shotgun and a piece of plywood.

He set the board up against a tree and we shot at it. Pretty much destroyed it after a few shots.

Then he said, "Imagine what that would do to you."

Gun safety training. Booyah! That made an impression.

Kids are far more likely to stumble across a gun than be involved in a school shooting.

Some basics of what to do if you find one would make sense.

Kids are far more likely to stumble across a gun than be involved in a school shooting.

Some basics of what to do if you find one would make sense.

I agree. Basics do make sense. I was envisioning a more in depth safety course when I voted no, but what gimmered posted makes sense to me.

Reactions: RocknRollface
When I was about seven years old, my dad took me out into the woods with a shotgun and a piece of plywood.

He set the board up against a tree and we shot at it. Pretty much destroyed it after a few shots.

Then he said, "Imagine what that would do to you."

Gun safety training. Booyah! That made an impression.
A dad in AZ took his eight year old daughter to a gun range. He wanted her to shoot an Uzi. The instructor agreed. She lost control of it and killed the instructor. Stupid people shouldn't have access to guns.

Because it shouldn't be fuggin necessary. Why don't we teach them to drive at that age while we're at it?!
Yeah. Why don’t we also teach them how to drive a tank, fire off some APG’s and disarm Improvised Explosive Devices?
Stoop. Clean up gun culture. Eliminate the over saturation promoted by gun proponents who somehow think allowing every dick access makes us all safer.

Reactions: seam and DFSNOLE
That's incredibly illogical.

The reality is what it is, not what you wish it to be.
The reality is that the arms industry has flooded the world with weapons and convinced folks like you that it is a good result...what will you tell your grandkids when they ask why did we do this to the world in which they live? (Clue... the kids are rejecting the stoopid actions of our society).

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
The reality is that the arms industry has flooded the world with weapons and convinced folks like you that it is a good result...what will you tell your grandkids when they ask why did we do this to the world in which they live? (Clue... the kids are rejecting the stoopid actions of our society).

:rolleyes:

You're sounding like @Nat Algren with this post.

Reactions: billanole
If it were high school kid's finding loaded guns and shooting people I could get your point, but it's the 8 year old's
Gun safety needs to start with the owner, pure and simple. but kids need to be taught to leave the area and get an adult. That should be the gun safety lesson, and it needs to be taught early and often.
Ok, I acquiesce to your experience.

:rolleyes:

You're sounding like @Nat Algren with this post.
So, honestly... Are you in favor of the proliferation of guns that has accelerated in the last several decades?
Not hunting guns like families owned before, but man killing weoponry.
The sales of .22 caliber rifles or .410 shotguns is not the issue. Pure and simple, the danger to US society and culture worldwide is arms meant to maim and kill humans. The NRA and their members have been co-opted by weapon merchants of death.

Reactions: seam
So, honestly... Are you in favor of the proliferation of guns that has accelerated in the last several decades?
Not hunting guns like families owned before, but man killing weoponry.
The sales of .22 caliber rifles or .410 shotguns is not the issue. Pure and simple, the danger to US society and culture worldwide is arms meant to maim and kill humans. The NRA and their members have been co-opted by weapon merchants of death.

A .22 or a .410 will shoot you just as dead as an "assault rifle" will.

A .22 or a .410 will shoot you just as dead as an "assault rifle" will.
Sure Trad. Think about what you just posted. And, think about it as a father, citizen, and proponent of civil interaction.
Since a .410 or .22 will kill you, we should also be cool with widespread sales of “assault rifles”.
Something is different. Why not figure out a poll to understand what the difference in maiming of humans could possibly be...

Last edited:
Reactions: seam
ADVERTISEMENT