ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should gun safety be taught in elementary schools?

Should gun safety be taught in elementary schools?

• Yes

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • No

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • Don't know/No opinion

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Did they talk about finding a handgun in a random place, like in jeep at an event, during the hunter safety class?
Put the owner of the firearm who left it available to minors in jail. No tolerance. Penalize stupidity and lax control. Do not defend those who in a roundabout way allow death.
Or, leave drunk drivers and drug dealers alone.
What is the difference in death tolls?

Reactions: DFSNOLE and rchawk
Did they talk about finding a handgun in a random place, like in jeep at an event, during the hunter safety class?

Lulz. No, that's stupid. They taught us that all guns are deadly, all guns should be assumed to be loaded and never to point it at anything unless you intend to kill it. Situation drills don't matter if you follow these guidelines.

You should ask some trauma surgeons their opinion on this. Suffice to say it's a hell of a lot harder to be put back together when you catch a round from a high powered rifle.

Not a trauma surgeon, but probably the closest thing in this board.

I'm sure you'd be shocked to hear Trad is incorrect. Although he is correct that a well placed 22 or .410 could cause death.

Not a trauma surgeon, but probably the closest thing in this board.

I'm sure you'd be shocked to hear Trad is incorrect. Although he is correct that a well placed 22 or .410 could cause death.

Then how the fvck am I incorrect?

A gun is a gun is a gun.

Then how the fvck am I incorrect?

A gun is a gun is a gun.
Define a gun if they are all the same. Some would say small arm versus high caliber...
Perhaps a moped and a semi would also cause the same hurt if you get run over by a motor powered vehicle.
Responding in circular fashion seems to be one way to gain an insane post count. Wow.
Where are you staying on the road tonight? Bored, it seems.
You do the board a better service with quality music links and posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: seam
No. They're not. Just stop. I have shot since I was 10. I'm well aware of what I'm talking about.

That doesn't explain your position at all.

You admit that a shotgun or a .22 is deadly if "placed right".

Well, an "assault rifle" isn't going to kill you if the bullet isn't "placed right" either.

That doesn't explain your position at all.

You admit that a shotgun or a .22 is deadly if "placed right".

Well, an "assault rifle" isn't going to kill you if the bullet isn't "placed right" either.

Dumb. Tissue responds differently to the speed of the round. A .30 ar will typically cause a hell of a lot more trauma as it passes through you than a smaller caliber round.

Reactions: seam
I replied to 2 of your posts in another thread which you could not defend and you chose not to reply. But, you tag me in this thread which I have chosen not to join. That's just weird and lazy.

There's no point in debating your crazy conspiracy theories. I'm not going to change you mind.

Sometimes I can't tell if Trad is just being a contrarian or if he's that stupid.
He is both.

The guy brings a WW II jeep to an event where little kids will climb on it pretending to drive it and leaves a loaded gun under the seat.

I would charge him so that he can no longer own or possess a gun legally.

Last edited:
I think it would be a good idea if it’s like that pamphlet the poster attached. Have it be along the lines of “what to do if you find a gun”. Have it be part of the drug awareness programs. At a young age you just want the kiddo to not touch the damn thing.

We do a safety presentation on how to ride an elevator and and escalator every year to a local elementary school. The parents are sometimes there and they are very appreciative of the quick class. That little 20 minutes of fun we do might help prevent an accident

ee12010_1.jpg
If this is what you mean by gun safety it's not a bad idea. But elementary kids handling guns would make a lot of people uncomfortable, even if OP wants to scapegoat liberals. I know a lot of conservatives who are for reasonable gun regulation (just none in office getting lobbied by the NRA). Do we really need a trained pro to tell kids to get away and tell an adult?

Reactions: win1forthe
So, honestly... Are you in favor of the proliferation of guns that has accelerated in the last several decades?
Not hunting guns like families owned before, but man killing weoponry.
The sales of .22 caliber rifles or .410 shotguns is not the issue. Pure and simple, the danger to US society and culture worldwide is arms meant to maim and kill humans. The NRA and their members have been co-opted by weapon merchants of death.
I'm an NRA member and can assure you no weapon merchants of death have approached me about anything.

I'm an NRA member and can assure you no weapon merchants of death have approached me about anything.
Maybe not personally, but your dues help promote gun merchants who approach the NRA and profit from your organization’s efforts on their behalf.
Y’all started out so differently... why not stand up and turn the tide back to a group promoting gun safety and responsible ownership?
Why pretend that elementary teachers need to carry for the protection of their charges? Stop promoting proliferation.

The reality is that the arms industry has flooded the world with weapons and convinced folks like you that it is a good result...what will you tell your grandkids when they ask why did we do this to the world in which they live? (Clue... the kids are rejecting the stoopid actions of our society).

No, that's an opinion.

The reality is that guns are all over and that knowing something about that reality would be beneficial.

If this is what you mean by gun safety it's not a bad idea. But elementary kids handling guns would make a lot of people uncomfortable, even if OP wants to scapegoat liberals. I know a lot of conservatives who are for reasonable gun regulation (just none in office getting lobbied by the NRA). Do we really need a trained pro to tell kids to get away and tell an adult?
We don't wait till high school to teach kids not to run out in front of a car and we don't teach 1st graders how to drive. We don't use driving instructors to teach kids to look both ways before they cross the street. The all or nothing approach to gun safety seems a bit stupid to me.
The Eddie Eagle program was created by the much hated NRA to help kids learn what to do if they find a gun.

So, honestly... Are you in favor of the proliferation of guns that has accelerated in the last several decades?
Not hunting guns like families owned before, but man killing weoponry.
The sales of .22 caliber rifles or .410 shotguns is not the issue. Pure and simple, the danger to US society and culture worldwide is arms meant to maim and kill humans. The NRA and their members have been co-opted by weapon merchants of death.

This isn't true. You've fallen for propaganda.

People have always owned guns capable of killing men. Rifles, shotguns, pistols ect. They've always been there.

There is absolutley nothing special about an AR platform. Its just like any other rifle but on the smaller side. One pull one bullet.

Again, there is nothing that makes killing with these weapons easier, in fact no one with a brain would choose a rifle over a pistol or shotgun if they wanted to kill unarmed people.

The reality is the number of murders in America with guns are steadily going down and both hands and knives account for more deaths than rifles.

Reactions: Rushesright
This isn't true. You've fallen for propaganda.

People have always owned guns capable of killing men. Rifles, shotguns, pistols ect. They've always been there.

There is absolutley nothing special about an AR platform. Its just like any other rifle but on the smaller side. One pull one bullet.

Again, there is nothing that makes killing with these weapons easier, in fact no one with a brain would choose a rifle over a pistol or shotgun if they wanted to kill unarmed people.

The reality is the number of murders in America with guns are steadily going down and both hands and knives account for more deaths than rifles.
I grew up with single shot fire arms and then got a .22 with a 5 or 6 shot capacity when chambering rounds. A little hunting gun or more likely for me, target plinking. My best buddy inherited his granddad’s pump action 12 gauge. I bought a single shot 30.06 as a 20 something in order to target shoot at more range. My old man kept a .22 revolver at the house that he sometimes brought out to pop water moccasins that scared the scat out of mom. Those are the guns civilians were comfortable with prior to the advent of the “ modern age” of weapons.
No high capacity magazines, bump stocks, or silly AR clones that are meant for hunting humans. The weapons I grew up were not designed for hunting humans. For you to say that killing with the modern AR type with all of the available upgrades is no easier is BS.
You know that the growth of man killing weapon sales is promoted by NRA backers, if not the organization.

I grew up with single shot fire arms and then got a .22 with a 5 or 6 shot capacity when chambering rounds. A little hunting gun or more likely for me, target plinking. My best buddy inherited his granddad’s pump action 12 gauge. I bought a single shot 30.06 as a 20 something in order to target shoot at more range. My old man kept a .22 revolver at the house that he sometimes brought out to pop water moccasins that scared the scat out of mom. Those are the guns civilians were comfortable with prior to the advent of the “ modern age” of weapons.
No high capacity magazines, bump stocks, or silly AR clones that are meant for hunting humans. The weapons I grew up were not designed for hunting humans. For you to say that killing with the modern AR type with all of the available upgrades is no easier is BS.
You know that the growth of man killing weapon sales is promoted by NRA backers, if not the organization.

Lever actions like 30-30 have been around for 150 years.

Tommy guns were available to be bought by the public almost 100 years ago.

M1s were available post ww2.

What you're suggesting is ludicrous and historically inaccurate by any standard.

Americans have always had guns. Guns that could kill big animals are guns that could kill people. And they did. Much more frequently in the past than now, which destroys your argument.

An AR in .223 isn't even big enough to deer hunt with. It's a target/varmint gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gimmered
Chicken and egg.
Why do I need protection? Because everybody is packing. Why are they packing? Because they need protection.
I feel so protected.
Totally wrong! You as a citizen are left on an island so to speak regarding protection, modern day law enforcement basically investigate violent crime after it is committed, rarely do the prevent it. You are left on your own to defend yourself and your family.

Dear Heaven, NO!

I don't want religion taught in school nor do I want gun safety taught in school. I'll handle both on the home-front, thank you very much.

Now, I wouldn't mind some basic finance being added; investments, check writing, etc.

Lever actions like 30-30 have been around for 150 years.

Tommy guns were available to be bought by the public almost 100 years ago.

M1s were available post ww2.

What you're suggesting is ludicrous and historically inaccurate by any standard.

Americans have always had guns. Guns that could kill big animals are guns that could kill people. And they did. Much more frequently in the past than now, which destroys your argument.

An AR in .223 isn't even big enough to deer hunt with. It's a target/varmint gun.
Of course the AR is not a deer hunting gun, tho many argue that is why it is sold.
Oh, but the .223 AR is perfect to hunt the animal with the biggest brain. Trick it out with better accessories and it is a perfect killing weapon.k
Please remind me the last time the tommy gun was available to you or me.
The world has been flooded with guns since approx. the ‘70s. Third world countries are awash in them... as are our communities.
Big gun has produced and distributed at an amazing pace. For some reason, many citizens think that is good.

Totally wrong! You as a citizen are left on an island so to speak regarding protection, modern day law enforcement basically investigate violent crime after it is committed, rarely do the prevent it. You are left on your own to defend yourself and your family.
Why are you oK with us having to protect ourselves from kids with guns?

Of course the AR is not a deer hunting gun, tho many argue that is why it is sold.
Oh, but the .223 AR is perfect to hunt the animal with the biggest brain. Trick it out with better accessories and it is a perfect killing weapon.k
Please remind me the last time the tommy gun was available to you or me.
The world has been flooded with guns since approx. the ‘70s. Third world countries are awash in them... as are our communities.
Big gun has produced and distributed at an amazing pace. For some reason, many citizens think that is good.
You do realize they aren’t free? People pay a premium to buy them like sports cars that go 150 mph when the speed limit is 75 or less. Get over it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT