ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should the NFL change this rule?

Should the NFL change the fumble-out-of-the-end-zone rule?

• Yes

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Don't know/no opinion

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I've fumbled out of OP's mom's end zone a few times....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
It’s the worst rule in football. And perhaps it will be changing.

NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent told reporters on Wednesday that the league will look at the current rules regarding fumbles out of the end zone.

It unreasonably punishes the offense. It unfairly rewards the defense. It happens when a player loses control and the ball goes out of bounds after entering the end zone. If the ball trickles out of bounds just before the goal line, the offense keeps possession at the spot of the fumble. If the ball nicks the pylon, it’s a touchback, with the defense getting the ball at the 20.

Chris Simms and I have argued about this for years. He regards the end zone as protected territory. He calls it “North Korea.” Lose possession in forbidden land, and there’s a price to pay.

The rule harkens back to a time when the rules were even more bizarre. At one point, a forward pass that fell incomplete in the end zone resulted in a touchback for the defense.

Looking at it and changing it are two different things. The league has looked at it in the past. The league hasn’t changed it. After all, for every team that it screws, it helps another.

That doesn’t make it make sense. It also doesn’t result in enhanced scoring. It ends possessions for no good reason.

I’ve believed it would change only after it happens in a Super Bowl, when millions of casual fans watching the game become perplexed by the counterintuitive rule and a real push to change it emerges. Maybe the NFL will be proactive, for a change.

Until the rule changes, players need to act accordingly, protecting the ball even more zealously near paydirt. Some do, some don’t. Some, like quarterback Derek Carr, have reached the ball for the goal line, losing his grip just before breaking the plane and, in turn, turning the ball over to the defense. (Carr did it TWICE.) Earlier this year, Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson lost control while preparing to reach the ball for the end zone. The ball crossed the goal line and went out of bounds, turning a potential touchdown into an actual touchback for the Eagles.

Yes, the rule is the same for both teams. That doesn’t make a rule a good one. And, again, this rule doesn’t result in more points. It results in fewer points.

At a time when the NFL is trying to maximize scoring, this rule becomes an impediment to the broader objective. As a result, it’s time to liberate North Korea.

Yeah, I don't know about this. What say you, GIAHORT?

I would be okay with the offense retaining possession if the fumble was caused by contact. But in cases where a guy has a clear path to the end zone and casually flips the ball into the air just before crossing the goal line, the defense should get the ball simply because he’s an idiot.

Yes you should reward effort. You shouldn't be punished for trying to reach the ball across the goal line. Anywhere else it goes out of bounds you get to keep the ball except the end zone? It's a stupid rule.

Yes you should reward effort. You shouldn't be punished for trying to reach the ball across the goal line. Anywhere else it goes out of bounds you get to keep the ball except the end zone? It's a stupid rule.
Anywhere you punt a ball out of bounds it gets marked at a spot except the opposite teams end zone. It’s a Touchback. The end zone has different rules (and some stupid ass ones as it relates to a “catch”).

The only compromise I could envision on a fumble through the zone is that offense loses possession to a free kick from the 20 by the defense, same as a safety but no points lost.

No. Protect your end zone at all costs. I can’t fumble the ball through my own end zone and get it back. It costs 2 points and possession on a fielded/recovered kicked ball afterwards.
That’s a completely different thing then, innit?
Anywhere you punt a ball out of bounds it gets marked at a spot except the opposite teams end zone. It’s a Touchback.
That’s because a punt, by its very nature, is a change of possession. As opposed to, for example, a fumble out of bounds on second down.

I’m beginning to wonder if you’ve ever watched football before.

Ok, what if you get to keep the ball, but you reset on your own 1 yard line…

Ok, what if you get to keep the ball, but you reset on your own 1 yard line…
So like a 98 yard penalty? lol sounds excessive. Again I don't think you should be penalized for trying to score a td. Put the ball where they lost control and play on like if it went out of bounds anywhere else.

So like a 98 yard penalty? lol sounds excessive. Again I don't think you should be penalized for trying to score a td. Put the ball where they lost control and play on like if it went out of bounds anywhere else.
I disagree. I think the rule is fine as is. Jmo

I’m fine with it. Helps decrease purposeful fumbles near the end zone.

Keep it how it is. How is it much different then a player trying to reach the ball across the goal line and a defender punch the ball loose and recovering it in the endzone.
If you change the rule, runners will dive at the pylon throwing the ball out there knowing it doesn’t matter if it goes out of bounds in the endzone.

If they want to change a fumble rule, why don’t they make it whoever touched the ball last after a fumble whether they did or didn’t have possession of it before it went out of bounds gets possession of the ball.

Reactions: tarheelbybirth

That’s because a punt, by its very nature, is a change of possession. As opposed to, for example, a fumble out of bounds on second down.

I’m beginning to wonder if you’ve ever watched football before.
A safety is a different thing but points out that the end zone has different rules than the rest of the field.

Maybe a punt was a bad comparison. How about a kickoff, which is a change of possession after the receiving team fields the ball, or it goes out of bounds (penalty to the kicking team), or goes into the area which has a different set of rules which is a touchback. Different set of rules in HS but a missed FG that crosses the goal line is also a touchback. Point is, end zone has different rules.

I can’t fumble the ball through my own end zone and get it back. It costs 2 points and possession on a fielded/recovered kicked ball afterwards.

Actually, it's exactly the same thing. Fumble it out of bounds inches in front of the pylon and you keep the ball. Fumble it out of bounds six inches further back and the defense is awarded two points and they get the ball punted to them.

So an even bigger penalty, actually.

I can't even imagine how you could change the rule one way and not the other. As others have said, the end zone is a special place - there's no reason to change the rule.

Actually, it's exactly the same thing. Fumble it out of bounds inches in front of the pylon and you keep the ball. Fumble it out of bounds six inches further back and the defense is awarded two points and they get the ball punted to them.

So an even bigger penalty, actually.

I can't even imagine how you could change the rule one way and not the other. As others have said, the end zone is a special place - there's no reason to change the rule.
Losing your grip on the ball inches before hitting the pylon to score a touchdown is most definitely not the same thing as fumbling it out of your own end zone. Not even close.

Losing your grip on the ball inches before hitting the pylon to score a touchdown is most definitely not the same thing as fumbling it out of your own end zone. Not even close.
LOL...the rationale for changing the rule is exactly the same...but for a few inches...

You have to reward the defense for causing a fumble, the offense should not be granted the ball back for losing the ball.

We protected our endzone, we should get the ball.

This.

The goal of the game is to get the ball WITH POSSESSION into the opponent's end zone. You legally give up possession of the ball through the opponent's end zone, it should be treated exactly like a punt.

People are asking "is it unfair for the offense?" Hell, ask yourself this. Is it unfair for the defense to have to give the offense what amounts to be a do-over?

I say hell yes, that's unfair TO THE DEFENSE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT