ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Wearing a costume in the office on Halloween...

Well?

• Cool

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Tool

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters

ThamesHawk

HR Heisman
Mar 16, 2013
Just curious on HROTs thoughts on coworkers wearing Halloween costumes in the workplace.

There's a level. Is it a completely obnoxious spectacle and getting in the way of their and others' work duties? Tool. It it something easy where people say "oh cute" and move on with their day? Cool.

Reactions: hawkcub
Personally, I don’t dress up. But my company has a costume contest every year for $$$$ so I don’t blame the people that do dress up.

Before our company went casual we had a costume contest each year. The rule was if you didn’t wear a costume you had to dress professional as always. I used it as an excuse to go casual. One year I wore jeans and a black t-shirt: Steven Jobs. Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt: Don Ho.

No way I was going to wear a costume to work.

No, I don't work with any losers that would even think of such a thing, nor would any of our leadership here accept such a thing.

I really wonder what some of you guys do for a living. We're in totally different worlds, that's for sure.

No, I don't work with any losers that would even think of such a thing, nor would any of our leadership here accept such a thing.

I really wonder what some of you guys do for a living. We're in totally different worlds, that's for sure.

A lot of it depends on what you do. Are you public facing? If you interact with people outside the company, are you dealing with business execs or is it in an environment where it's more casual or even festive?

Once, the office's biggest beotch came in one Halloween dressed as a witch.

We had locked horns a few times through the years. I asked her why she didn't dress up for Halloween. That did not go over very well in "certain circles".

The news traveled up 3 different floors eventually. Hell, I got several high 5's when it was all said and done.

Worth it? Damn right it was.

In my 20's, yeah, now? Not so much.

I wore this one once, which MOST people really appreciated (they especially liked grabbing my boobs, our office was cool like that):
61our-smJYL._SY355_.jpg

One woman was bigger than the costume, and it really bothered her. She didn't say anything, but I could tell. She was a really nice lady and I felt a little bad. So if you're going to be a fat person for halloween, make sure you're fatter than the fattest person you'll actually run across in person. That's the lesson.

In my 20's, yeah, now? Not so much.

I wore this one once, which MOST people really appreciated (they especially liked grabbing my boobs, our office was cool like that):
61our-smJYL._SY355_.jpg

One woman was bigger than the costume, and it really bothered her. She didn't say anything, but I could tell. She was a really nice lady and I felt a little bad. So if you're going to be a fat person for halloween, make sure you're fatter than the fattest person you'll actually run across in person. That's the lesson.

Maybe she was just pissed because nobody grabbed her boobs

No thanks.

Wear a costume when you take your kids out trick or treating. Wear it if you go to a Halloween party. Shoot wear one in the bedroom with your partner if that's what your into.

Work? Nah

Reactions: QChawks
A lot of it depends on what you do. Are you public facing? If you interact with people outside the company, are you dealing with business execs or is it in an environment where it's more casual or even festive?

The trouble that most companies seem to run into is that there's always a person or two who ultimately ruins the fun for everything else. Whether it's something that's insensitive, veers a little too close to being "rated R", etc.

I think it can be fine, especially to allow everyone to relax a little. Way too easy to abuse though.

The trouble that most companies seem to run into is that there's always a person or two who ultimately ruins the fun for everything else. Whether it's something that's insensitive, veers a little too close to being "rated R", etc.

I think it can be fine, especially to allow everyone to relax a little. Way too easy to abuse though.

Agreed....there are also people who can't separate home humor from work humor. While sometimes people do ruin the fun for everyone else, there are also people who have no sense of, say, the idea that blackface won't play well in most modern office settings.

I’ve been frustrated with my job lately, so this AM I momentarily contemplated going to work in blackface.

I wore an orange tie today.

Not neon "Gator" orange.

More of a burnt, fall leaves sort of orange.

I stuck with scrubs. Some people wear this as a costume, so I guess you could say it's a costume.

I would never dress up at work myself. But if our leadership decides to boost morale by letting those who wish to dress up and have a little fun at work for the day do so, then good for them for not thinking it's beneath them to do so. And I work in finance and no clients actually physically enter our location so I don't really see it as a big deal.

Personally, I don’t dress up. But my company has a costume contest every year for $$$$ so I don’t blame the people that do dress up.

Before our company went casual we had a costume contest each year. The rule was if you didn’t wear a costume you had to dress professional as always. I used it as an excuse to go casual. One year I wore jeans and a black t-shirt: Steven Jobs. Jeans and a Hawaiian shirt: Don Ho.

No way I was going to wear a costume to work.
I had a similar situation at my first job out of college. I wore jeans, flip flops, and a polo tucked in. I was either a douche or a frat boy— could never decide.

Reactions: artradley
I had a similar situation at my first job out of college. I wore jeans, flip flops, and a polo tucked in. I was either a douche or a frat boy— could never decide.
Makes no difference for me. My company has a real chill dress code. Basically as long as you don’t dress like a whore, you’re good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT