ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: who tries to shut down free speech the most?

Which group is the most intolerant of free speech from their opponents?

• Conservatives

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Liberals

Votes: 45 61.6%

• Total voters
One only gets to be a liberal when one acts like a liberal. When you oppose free expression, you are acting as a conservative.

No, you are acting as a Facist. The left has gone way left and along with the media are doing this to anyone who disagrees with their dialogue.

Conservatives didn’t create safe spaces. Conservatives on campus aren’t protesting and preventing liberals to speak on campus.

As Bill Maher points out, todays liberals are not like the ones in the past. It used to be about progressive ideas and lots of choice...now it’s my way or you are a racist nazi

No, you are acting as a Facist. The left has gone way left and along with the media are doing this to anyone who disagrees with their dialogue.
Yes, fascism is conservative. You have that much right. And where the media or anybody acts like a fascist, they are behaving as a conservative. It’s good that you champion the liberal ideals of free expression. You have a little liberal inside you.

Yes, fascism is conservative. You have that much right. And where the media or anybody acts like a fascist, they are behaving as a conservative. It’s good that you champion the liberal ideals of free expression. You have a little liberal inside you.

So, you are admitting that you are a conservative?

Name one example where POTUS shut down free speech.
That’s not what the question asked. The question asked was which side is most intolerant. The answer for me is very simple, the President is intolerant of any opposing view and he shares this be calling the press the ‘enemy of the people’ and creating the term ‘fake news’. That’s intolerance.

The choices in your poll are invalid. The people on the left who are shutting down free speech are not classic liberals. They are radical leftists and are not interested in liberty for anyone with whom they disagree.
There are so few on the right who are doing the same thing that they hardly are worth acknowledging.

So, you are admitting that you are a conservative?
In many ways. I like parades, incrementalism and I like to see people earn their way in life. I believe in conservation and protecting our heritage for generations I will never meet. I believe in paying for things we want. I believe in American exceptionalism and patriotism. There are certainly things from the conservative side that I value. Just as you value the liberal idea of free expression. What else do you like about liberalism?

In many ways. I like parades, incrementalism and I like to see people earn their way in life. I believe in conservation and protecting our heritage for generations I will never meet. I believe in paying for things we want. I believe in American exceptionalism and patriotism. There are certainly things from the conservative side that I value. Just as you value the liberal idea of free expression. What else do you like about liberalism?

I believe in the constitution of the United States. If we follow the constitution, we stay great and exceptional. If not, we will become the country what all these people are running from.

I believe in the constitution of the United States. If we follow the constitution, we stay great and exceptional. If not, we will become the country what all these people are running from.
This is a great point. I too value our liberal form of government. So let’s not conflate it with conservative forms of authoritarianism.

Does everyone (or anyone?) realize that there is more to this country than just left and right? The extremists are the loudest of the loud, but they don't define all D or R's. It's interesting, and sad, that so much attention is paid to the intolerant jackasses in this country that have no interest in dialogue or compromise.

Does everyone (or anyone?) realize that there is more to this country than just left and right? The extremists are the loudest of the loud, but they don't define all D or R's. It's interesting, and sad, that so much attention is paid to the intolerant jackasses in this country that have no interest in dialogue or compromise.
Completely agree. I don’t like the thought that it’s all or nothing. Radicalism on both sides really bothers me. The feeling of two political parties working together for the greater good is almost gone. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing, but many are choosing that path and unfortunately taking many others with.

That’s not what the question asked. The question asked was which side is most intolerant. The answer for me is very simple, the President is intolerant of any opposing view and he shares this be calling the press the ‘enemy of the people’ and creating the term ‘fake news’. That’s intolerance.

The thread title:
Poll: who tries to shut down free speech the most?

You have colleges shitting themselves and stopping conservatives from speaking on campus.

IMO that is the tie breaker.

They aren’t stopping conservatives. They are trying to handle celebrity provocateurs like Milo who the administration knows may elicit a violent response from the antifa groups. And the administration has entire student body to protect. It’s the proverbial rock and hard place

FYI - try having an abortion right rally at Liberty University

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
Both are more than comfortable shouting down or using social stigma to try to end speech they're not in agreement with, but neither have done much to codify Orwellian style regulations against speech... which is pretty essential to limiting speech.

Both are more than comfortable shouting down or using social stigma to try to end speech they're not in agreement with, but neither have done much to codify Orwellian style regulations against speech... which is pretty essential to limiting speech.

I may be wrong, but I believe Trump is the only president to advocate for stricter libel laws and is looking at suing twitter because he can’t figure IOU’s how it works. I’m going to suggest Trump GOP owns this one.

LOL. He was just found guilty of a Constitutional Right to Free Speech violation THIS WEEK. That’s just his latest. But thanks for dispelling the “myth” that Conservatives are “low information” voters ;):

That was his private account before he became president. It needed clarification by the courts. But to suggest that illustrates your point is quite silly.

President Donald Trump had a lot to say at the White House Social Media Summit on Thursday, including offering his take on what does and does not constitute free speech....

He talked about how Silicon Valley is admired for their technology and how smart they are, but that they aren’t “using that brilliance” fairly. “They have to do that.”

“And we don’t want to stifle anything, we certainly don’t want to stifle free speech. But that’s no longer free speech,” said Trump. “See I don’t think that the mainstream media is free speech either, because it’s so crooked, it’s so dishonest.”

“So to me, free speech is not when you see something good and then you purposely write bad, to me that’s very dangerous speech, and you become angry at it,” said Trump. “But that’s not free speech.”
https://crooksandliars.com/2019/07/...=social&utm_medium=facebook&utm_content=18069

Reactions: naturalmwa
That was his private account before he became president. It needed clarification by the courts. But to suggest that illustrates your point is quite silly.

Do you need more, Mr. Intellectually Challenged? From noted liberal rag, Forbes:

The second irony is the notion that Donald Trump is a defender of free speech. As to the president’s record on the First Amendment, recall that he:

• Called the New York Times “a true ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE;”
  • Threatened the press credentials of reporters who criticize him;
  • Tweeted “With all of the Fake News coming out of NBC and the Networks, at what point is it appropriate to challenge their license? Bad for country!”
  • Demanded that NFL owners fire players who protested during the playing of the national anthem;
  • Ranted that it was “disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write and people should look into it.”
  • Blocked critics from following his Twitter account.
The list could be longer, but it’s not necessary to make the point: Trump doesn’t treasure the First Amendment; he trashes it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...s-free-speech-executive-order-oh-the-ironies/

They aren’t stopping conservatives. They are trying to handle celebrity provocateurs like Milo who the administration knows may elicit a violent response from the antifa groups. And the administration has entire student body to protect. It’s the proverbial rock and hard place

FYI - try having an abortion right rally at Liberty University

Could have used same lame rationalization to justify racial segregation of southern schools in 1960s. Same threats of violence.

Could have used same lame rationalization to justify racial segregation of southern schools in 1960s. Same threats of violence.

You going to have to walk me through that analogy. The delay in integrating had nothing to do with the potential threat of violence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT