Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Portal QB who is TBD

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Cade McNamara?

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
It all depends who wants it most, Does Hill put in the work on his body and agility? Is McNamara going to limit his movement because of poss reinjury. How is Marco arm? Who is best suited for what Lester wants to do .

It all depends who wants it most, Does Hill put in the work on his body and agility? Is McNamara going to limit his movement because of poss reinjury. How is Marco arm? Who is best suited for what Lester wants to do .
Hill could have the agility of Vick and it would not matter as he has no pocket awareness and a slow release

Brian is not there anymore. He was the one choosing Hill after Cade went down.
I believe Kirk will give Lester the control over choosing the QB of his choice. Offense might be the same but with a different QB.

Honest question. Not a flame or anything, I promise.

Are you sure that was Brian picking him? I don't think it was all him. I actually think Budmary had his prints on that since we brought him in. KF has also done this several times where he is very reluctant to make a change. Hill was a literal detriment to the offense and he stuck with him the whole rest of the season.

Are you sure that was Brian picking him? I don't think it was all him. I actually think Budmary had his prints on that since we brought him in. KF has also done this several times where he is very reluctant to make a change. Hill was a literal detriment to the offense and he stuck with him the whole rest of the season.
One thing Kirk will never do is start a TR freshman. The conversation that determined Deuce was going to transfer illustrated that.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Camps are going to be interesting all offseason. Let me go on record that the coaches would do well to hit the portal, and move Hill along if they can bring in a G5 starter/backup, or a guy with ideally multiple years of starting experience at an FCS program. But, who knows? Maybe part of Lester taking the OC job is that he likes the QB room and the coaches are comfortable rolling with who they've got next season.
All things being equal I'd like to see another QB transfer in after spring ball - the trick is that Iowa is ~ 7?8? over the scholarship limit currently, so that will likely play a factor.

Do expect to see a wave of transfers after spring ends and everyone sees where they are.

Is nobody else thinking they’re going to be even more pissed when watching the Hawks this fall than we were last year?

And let’s be honest, Hill had 8 picks and a number of fumbles (we lost 11 as a team, cannot seem to find Deacons share)

Given how few passes he threw and how few times he ran with the ball, not exactly stellar ball security. Kirk?
He had at least 7 of those fumbles

I think Iowa recruits a QB every season. Last year, we had two portal QB's as #1 & #2.
None of their recent recruits even played a down until the last two minutes of the Citrus Bowl.
If these recruits are unable to beat Hill and/or Kirk does not feel they are B10 caliber players, why were they recruited?

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
I think Iowa recruits a QB every season. Last year, we had two portal QB's as #1 & #2.
None of their recent recruits even played a down until the last two minutes of the Citrus Bowl.
If these recruits are unable to beat Hill and/or Kirk does not feel they are B10 caliber players, why were they recruited?
They could be head and shoulders above Hill yet not play, due to the simple fact KF does not play true freshman QBs. That is the one thing I can say confidently had not changed much if at all over 25 years.

Reactions: squeezebox
They could be head and shoulders above Hill yet not play, due to the simple fact KF does not play true freshman QBs. That is the one thing I can say confidently had not changed much if at all over 25 years.

I believe you are 100% correct with your statement. At the same time miraculously somehow Deacon Hill learned the offense in one year too. He was just older as well!

At the same time miraculously somehow Deacon Hill learned the offense in one year too
Yeah...not sure how much of the offense he or even McNamara actually grasped going into Week 1. It's been pointed out that the two of them hardly if ever audibled, that seems significant to me. I think we can all agree that whatever offense they run next season, it is in dire need of being simplified.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
I believe B

I believe Brian was making the final decision, but you could be right on Budmeyer inputing since he was hired to consult. Im my opinion Lester not being Kirks son so with his hire he will have a different thought on things.
Lester I hope will be given the choice on the better QB

What if who we want isn't who we think it will actually be?
Exactly.

Honestly, at this point, Lainez would be who I start simply to get going with what appears to be our future QB. McNamara is fine but one season as opposed to the next three. Let's get it going with Lainez now. It'll be McNamara starting though and I'm fine with that too under the condition that if he can't cut it, play Lainez. KF won't do that. In no way shape or form should Hill play for us again and he most certainly shouldn't be our QB2. He's worse than Petras and I can't remember ever having watched a worse QB than him...until I saw Hill play.

For KF - QB2 is Hill and he's very close to being the ideal #1.

It's crazy stuff. I don't even think Hill should be an FBS player at this point, yet, he's apparently not only a legitimate option as a QB2, he deserves a shot at competing for the starting role according to our coach.

I believe B

I believe Brian was making the final decision, but you could be right on Budmeyer inputing since he was hired to consult. Im my opinion Lester not being Kirks son so with his hire he will have a different thought on things.

I hope so too.

I can only hope it's Lainez. With Lester's success and history as a QB, we can only pray that he 1. works with Marco and improve his passing game and 2. recognizes that Deacon just isn't it. We cannot trot Deacon out there week 1 if Cade isn't ready to go. Marco gels so much more with Lester's RPO scheme. And Deacon gave up so many points throughout his time as QB, we just can't tolerate that kind of play if we want to improve as an offense.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Yeah...not sure how much of the offense he or even McNamara actually grasped going into Week 1. It's been pointed out that the two of them hardly if ever audibled, that seems significant to me. I think we can all agree that whatever offense they run next season, it is in dire need of being simplified.
After watching a video of Lester breaking down the offense, I don't think it will be. In fact it may be more complicated.

The thing we don't see really is how the QB (and the OL and WR's) is able to read the defense and make the correct call. Hill obviously wasn't very good at it, but he might have been better than Marco.

I think the only QB's in contention for playing time are the one's that will be here for spring ball.

Well, it SHOULD be Lainez IMO but knowing Kirk, I have to wonder if it isn't still going to be Hill.

I just threw up in my mouth a little, typing that.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Exactly.

Honestly, at this point, Lainez would be who I start simply to get going with what appears to be our future QB. McNamara is fine but one season as opposed to the next three. Let's get it going with Lainez now. It'll be McNamara starting though and I'm fine with that too under the condition that if he can't cut it, play Lainez.
I wouldn't mind this at all. Yeah, I'm sure the #1 will be McNamara, and I'm fine with that, but he needs to be healthy. If he's hobbling around out there again, and not very effective, then get Marco on the field and look to the future.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Kirk Ferentz has always prioritized practice achievement and ability to follow the script when it comes to deciding who plays on Saturdays.
Whoever Kirk Ferentz feels the most comfortable with using these criteria will be QB1.

Who the #2 QB will be (McNamara will be #1) will depend on whether Kirk or Lester makes the decision. If it's Kirk....it will be Hill. If it's Lester, it will be someone else.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes

I believe it was a combo of all 3.

I believe B

Head coach makes the call on who is playing QB.

Talking about ball control and time of possession here is something to think about.......Start at the 25 yard line and get a couple of First downs to the 50.
Several minutes come off the clock compared to a 3 & out then punt scenario. Ball is on the 50 yard line run a few more runs to have ball control and then throw a 20 yard pass interception to the 30 yard line. What's the difference between 3 & out Punt or an interception after several first downs? Food for thought?

Head coach makes the call on who is playing QB.
I have never heard that quoted so I don't know for sure if what you say is true or not.
Are you that close to Kirk or OC in previous staffs? I would think he would make the choice based on the opinions of the offensive coaches suggestions. But again I am not there to listen to the commentary. Unless you are one of the coaches?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT