Votes: 60 20.4%
  • Other - Please list below

Votes: 7 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
DarlingShoddyAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

Hoping Fidone becomes a Hawk, but I don't think he'll commit anytime soon. Not sure we'll take two more WR, I think it will be Johnson committing before Bell's May announcement.

Hoping Fidone becomes a Hawk, but I don't think he'll commit anytime soon. Not sure we'll take two more WR, I think it will be Johnson committing before Bell's May announcement.

I think Johnson projects at DB? Plus, Iowa loses three WR next year in Smith-Marsette, Smith, and Cooper - so I wouldn't be surprised if they sign four in Bruce, Brecht, DeJean, and Bell when Bruce has versatility to end up somewhere else.

Not sure about Fidone, but he has been giving the new Iowa commits a bunch of love on Twitter lately. Let's hope.
Unfortunately, he also made the same type of twitter comments when Cunningham committed to Minnesota. I was hopeful as well, but I really don't think it means much. But definitely keeping fingers crossed!

With Brody Brecht now in the fold, who's next for the Hawkeyes?

I have to admit, I have never heard of Michael Myslinski. How is he only a 2 star with all of those reported offers? That would be a big get.

Does this mean Mbow is no longer being recruited/considered?

I have to admit, I have never heard of Michael Myslinski. How is he only a 2 star with all of those reported offers? That would be a big get.

247 has him as top 500 3*

Reactions: MWardT

Think he is a center

Reactions: Earn898
It seems like the public announcements are scheduled so each payer has their day in the spotlight, but can you imagine what would happen to the west of us if they both committed on the same day?

Melt down of epic proportions on their rivals and 247 site. Melt downs on the talk radio as well.

There doesn't seem to be a good reason for Fidone to wait if he's going to Nebraska. The longer this drags on... the less likely he goes West, imo.

I think Frost ends up firing several assts next fall if the Huskers don't qualify for a bowl game. So there's a really good chance Fidone's position coach likely won't even be on staff by the time he hits the field as a RS Freshman.

I think we would happily take both Johnson and Bell. Johnson is a versatile athlete would could play in the secondary as well as WR, and since Arland Bruce could be used as either a running back or a receiver we certainly have room for both.

Reactions: millhawk
I think we would happily take both Johnson and Bell. Johnson is a versatile athlete would could play in the secondary as well as WR, and since Arland Bruce could be used as either a running back or a receiver we certainly have room for both.
And that is why we’re seeing more versatile recruits being signed over the past few years. It just gives you options to fill out the roster and depth chart in a way that maximizes recruits abilities to play early and show.

If I’m Fidone and I’m doing my pro/con list here’s what it looks like:
Neb Pro: Close to family, childhood favorite, open depth chart, potential to rise
Neb Con: Losing program, questionable coaching, TE not a premium position (~4 touches less per game), poor history placing TE in the NFL.

Iowa Pro: Stable family atmosphere, solid coaching (BF position coach), TE premium position, If you make the depth chart TE1/TE2 you’re almost assured of going to the NFL. TE U (Fant, Hock, Kittle...), Doyle maximizes physical output.
Iowa Con: Distance, competitive depth chart (TE3/4 to start)

I mean when T.Fidone lands in Iowa City athletically he’s probably as or more gifted than ALL of our TEs on roster. Obviously there’s a huge mental and competitive component that plays into it as well, but I can see his time on campus playing out like this (and I don’t think this is any stretch):

2021: Shows early in Jan, in great shape, on the depth chart behind everybody. In the first couple weeks of practice he soldifies that he’s just more gifted than FR* Lachey and on par with SO* Miamen — but behind SO Yelverton and JR LaPorta. So that puts him at TE 3/4. He splits reps with Miamen. Laporta catches 35 passes, Yelverton 15, Miamen and FR Fidone catch 5 each. That’s more TE output than 2019, but less than 2018.

2022: Hard work pays off over the offseason as JR LaPorta along with RB Goodson declare [EARLY] for the NFL Draft. Now, as a SO Fidone is battling to keep his position over JR Miamen and working towards JR Yelverton’s top spot. The coaches elect to play 2 TEs primarily knowing that the running game will be in development. Production jumps this year — it looks like a Fant, Hockenson year. Yelverton 38 receptions, Fidone 32 receptions.

2023: JR Fidone overtakes the top spot on the depth chart. He plays the TEY due to his physicality. He’s completely Doylized at this point. 6’5” 245 owns the squat record at TE, comes in as a second team preseason All-American. Destroys it in his junior year 45 catches, 800 yard, 6 TDs. Physically dominant in the run game. “Better than Hockenson” is the NFL Draft consensus. “And with the 6th overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select [EARLY], Thomas Fidone, TE, Iowa.”

Welcome to the family.

Last edited:
And that is why we’re seeing more versatile recruits being signed over the past few years. It just gives you options to fill out the roster and depth chart in a way that maximizes recruits abilities to play early and show.

If I’m Fidone and I’m doing my pro/con list here’s what it looks like:
Neb Pro: Close to family, childhood favorite, open depth chart, potential to rise
Neb Con: Losing program, questionable coaching, TE not a premium position (~4 touches less per game), poor history placing TE in the NFL.

Iowa Pro: Stable family atmosphere, solid coaching (BF position coach), TE premium position, If you make the depth chart TE1/TE2 you’re almost assured of going to the NFL. TE U (Fant, Hock, Kittle...), Doyle maximizes physical output.
Iowa Con: Distance, competitive depth chart (TE3/4 to start)

I mean when T.Fidone lands in Iowa City athletically he’s probably as or more gifted than ALL of our TEs on roster. Obviously there’s a huge mental and competitive component that plays into it as well, but I can see his time on campus playing out like this (and I don’t think this is any stretch):

2021: Shows early in Jan, in great shape, on the depth chart behind everybody. In the first couple weeks of practice he soldifies that he’s just more gifted than FR* Lachey and on par with SO* Miamen — but behind SO Yelverton and JR LaPorta. So that puts him at TE 3/4. He splits reps with Miamen. Laporta catches 35 passes, Yelverton 15, Miamen and FR Fidone catch 5 each. That’s more TE output than 2019, but less than 2018.

2022: Hard work pays off over the offseason as JR LaPorta along with RB Goodson declare [EARLY] for the NFL Draft. Now, as a SO Fidone is battling to keep his position over JR Miamen and working towards JR Yelverton’s top spot. The coaches elect to play 2 TEs primarily knowing that the running game will be in development. Production jumps this year — it looks like a Fant, Hockenson year. Yelverton 38 receptions, Fidone 32 receptions.

2023: JR Fidone overtakes the top spot on the depth chart. He plays the TEY due to his physicality. He’s completely Doylized at this point. 6’5” 245 owns the squat record at TE, comes in as a second team preseason All-American. Destroys it in his junior year 45 catches, 800 yard, 6 TDs. Physically dominant in the run game. “Better than Hockenson” is the NFL Draft consensus. “And with the 6th overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins select [EARLY], Thomas Fidone, TE, Iowa.”

Welcome to the family.
Quite the writeup!:p:p

But my concern would be if his measurables are correct, he needs to add 20lbs to play because Iowa TEs have to be able to block, also. I don't see him playing as a true freshman.

Would that make him the top TE as a RS Soph?

Rashaun Benny is a 4 star OT that has his choice of many schools but Mich and Iowa are the faves. I think I saw where Iowa wanted him on the D Line. I don't know anything about him, anybody here know anything?

Reactions: squeezebox
There doesn't seem to be a good reason for Fidone to wait if he's going to Nebraska. The longer this drags on... the less likely he goes West, imo.

I think Frost ends up firing several assts next fall if the Huskers don't qualify for a bowl game. So there's a really good chance Fidone's position coach likely won't even be on staff by the time he hits the field as a RS Freshman.
He won't even know who his teammates will be. Probably more transfers that get tired of frosty dogging them in front of media!

Is Alt still a take for Iowa?
Yes, I don't think anything has changed there. However with 4 OL already committed, realistically whomever commits next may be the last OL taken in this class. So it could be Myslinki or Alt by how things are trending. But the Director of Recruiting at Iowa Tyler Barnes has stated publicly that OL was the focus of this class. So it's possible they'll actually take on a big class of 6. Not really certain at this point.

Reactions: Iliketrees
Yes, I don't think anything has changed there. However with 4 OL already committed, realistically whomever commits next may be the last OL taken in this class. So it could be Myslinki or Alt by how things are trending. But the Director of Recruiting at Iowa Tyler Barnes has stated publicly that OL was the focus of this class. So it's possible they'll actually take on a big class of 6. Not really certain at this point.
Iowa lost Wirfs early ... we lost Miller early to back issues ... Jenkins left football ... and we're also set to graduate a few guys too (Jackson, Cronk, and Banwart).

Thus, I'd at least anticipate that they take 5 guys on the OL ... and given how attrition works out ... I could definitely see it as a possibility that the Hawks take 6 O-linemen in the class.

Another consideration is that the Hawks could be targeting Alt as an in-line TE who could potentially grow into an OT too. Thus, he might be on their board as a guy who they like first ... and they'll work out the positioning later.

Reactions: TJFant
Easy, easy...it's just my guess on the next commit! Blair asks to "Please List Below" when you select "Other." Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT