ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Would You Comply With A National or State-Wide Mask Requirement?

How likely are you to comply with a national or state-wide requirement to wear a mask? (see comment)

• I like the idea, but I won't comply most of the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the idea, but I won't comply.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When otherwise reasonable people say they would pick and choose whether to comply, it reinforces the unreasonable people in their unwillingness.

When unreasonable measures are imposed, people resist the reasonable ones. I warned of that in April and here we are.

I am against stupidity, and mandated masks in uncrowded outdoor settings is stupid, and, ultimately, counterproductive. And I'm also against counterproductive measures.

If you impose mandates that are reasonable, you have a right to expect compliance. If you impose mandates that are unreasonable and unnecessary, you forfeit that right.

To be fair, Democrats and liberals were not trying to sell it that way, either. Their preferred method was panic, fear, and virtue signaling. Pretty much everybody has, imo, been stupid in their reaction, and that's why we're in such a pitiful position right now. Although, since Europe supposedly did everything right and now they're surging even worse than us, I suppose we'd be in a miserable position no matter what.
When Europe began the current surge, I said we're probably next. And so it seems.

We had a nice little lull, while it lasted.

Actually not so nice, if you were among those who died or were seriously affected.

I don’t think a national mask mandate would require you to wear a mask when you are outside. Most of the states that have enacted orders requiring masks outside only require them if social distancing is not possible.

I agree that there is typically no need to wear a mask outside. For instance, there’s no need to wear a mask when you are taking the dog for a walk around the neighborhood, and I find it unlikely that any mask mandate would require it.

Broward and Miami-Dade (Florida) require masks outside. I mentioned it in my post because it wasn't mentioned in the original post. That would be a factor for me. I'm not going to support anything stupid, and some politicians are both stupid and power hungry.

When unreasonable measures are imposed, people resist the reasonable ones. I warned of that in April and here we are.

I am against stupidity, and mandated masks in uncrowded outdoor settings is stupid, and, ultimately, counterproductive. And I'm also against counterproductive measures.
And yet you acknowledge both that its rarely required, and also that you complied when it was.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask Americans to err on the side of caution for a few weeks or months. It's a really small ask.

Broward and Miami-Dade (Florida) require masks outside. I mentioned it in my post because it wasn't mentioned in the original post. That would be a factor for me. I'm not going to support anything stupid, and some politicians are both stupid and power hungry.
Again, it's a tiny ask for a short period of time. Or at least it would be a short period of time if we had solid compliance.

I don't get why smart people like you and Art feel the need to sabotage such an effort.

And yet you acknowledge both that its rarely required, and also that you complied when it was.

Yes. And so the mandate should follow the common sense and effective recommendations: mandatory inside any public building, and outside if it's crowded.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask Americans to err on the side of caution for a few weeks or months. It's a really small ask.

A few weeks, come on man. That's what people were saying seven months ago. As I've said all along, our mitigation efforts should be sustainable and reasonable. If you propose mandates that are silly, you are asking to lose public acceptance. Erring on the side of caution can be more dangerous that being pragmatic.

Again, it's a tiny ask for a short period of time. Or at least it would be a short period of time if we had solid compliance.

I don't get why smart people like you and Art feel the need to sabotage such an effort.

It wouldn't be a short period of time. This will go on at least for one more year. Pretending any measures are short term are what gets you into trouble.

So you're willing to do something stupid and totally unnecessary because it's only a minor inconvenience? Wow.
Not because it is a minor inconvenience but because it's reasonable to think that widespread compliance will be easier to achieve if we stop having exceptions and personal opinions undermining public understanding about when to comply and when not to.

Just do it for a few weeks, for crying out loud, and let's see if we get the results some scientists think we will get.

Yes. And so the mandate should follow the common sense and effective recommendations: mandatory inside any public building, and outside if it's crowded.

A few weeks, come on man. That's what people were saying seven months ago. As I've said all along, our mitigation efforts should be sustainable and reasonable. If you propose mandates that are silly, you are asking to lose public acceptance. Erring on the side of caution can be more dangerous that being pragmatic.
All we need is a few weeks of solid compliance to test the hypothesis that behavioral immunity imparted by near-universal mask usage could have a big impact on spread.

If we don't see evidence, we can go back to being idiots on an individual basis and being stable geniuses who know more than the scientists.

I absolutely would comply, I already am and have been since April or so when the recommendations came down from the CDC. It should have been mandatory nationwide months ago when you are in a public place and social distancing should be observed as well. It's the easiest and most cost effective way of mitigating the spread and has been badly managed from the get go by our leaders.

It's well past the time that we all do this and reverse the infection trends we are seeing right now. It's the most patriotic thing we can do as a country unified to get through this together. The fact that this has been turned into a political football is one of our greatest failings as a society in modern times.

Art and I are more than willing to do something willingly, with or without a mandate, if it makes sense and is reasonable.

There's no science supporting transmission outdoors while at a distance. It's not just an inconvenience for me to wear a mask while mowing my yard, or kayaking, shooting hoops, etc.

Art is exactly right when he says people will resist reasonable requirements after having been burdened with unreasonable requirements.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
All we need is a few weeks of solid compliance to test the hypothesis that behavioral immunity imparted by near-universal mask usage could have a big impact on spread.

If we don't see evidence, we can go back to being idiots on an individual basis and being stable geniuses who know more than the scientists.

A few weeks? Are you sure? There has never been a finite timeline on any restriction so far.

Not because it is a minor inconvenience but because it's reasonable to think that widespread compliance will be easier to achieve if we stop having exceptions and personal opinions undermining public understanding about when to comply and when not to.

Just do it for a few weeks, for crying out loud, and let's see if we get the results some scientists think we will get.

I was simply responding, verbatim, to another poster. You post some scientific evidence that supports wearing a mask outdoors when not in close contact with anyone, and I'll consider it.

What could be more unreasonable than mandating what 100% of people do without a mandate.

What's next, mandating that you inhale and exhale?

You're a funny guy, hahahahahaha.

You should look into copulating with yourself sideways, that would be even funnier.

You really are an asshat. Take your freedumbs and your stupid arguments to a place where the feeble-minded like yourself will nod in agreement to your ridiculous notions.

Idaho would welcome you, you can probably join an active militia while you're there, so that's a bonus.

I already wear a mask when, necessary, useful or requested by businesses or facilities that I frequent,.. I'll comply with that.
I'm going out on a limb and say about 90% of Americans are already wearing masks everywhere, so it's not a big deal. It's getting so that I feel weird if I go to the store I feel weird if I don't have one on.
If I'm walking the dog and I'm alone I don't wear it. There's no one around!

Art is exactly right when he says people will resist reasonable requirements after having been burdened with unreasonable requirements.
This is just so obviously wrong that I can't believe you and Art keep saying this.

How often do you drive on the wrong side of the road or the wrong way on one-way streets.

We all obey lots of laws/rules when they aren't strictly necessary. And when some people don't, because they (rightly) think it's stupid or not supported by science, overall compliance doesn't go to hell.

You guys are basically pre-excusing non-compliance with a policy that could save hundreds of thousands of lives because you believe that some element of it goes a little too far.

Reactions: ping72
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I'm going out on a limb and say about 90% of Americans are already wearing masks everywhere, so it's not a big deal. It's getting so that I feel weird if I go to the store I feel weird if I don't have one on.
If I'm walking the dog and I'm alone I don't wear it. There's no one around!

Then you're doing better than most I think in your area. From what I'm hearing and seeing especially in pockets of rural and small town Iowa, compliance is not nearly that high. Maybe 50% on a good day. That's a problem.

You should look into copulating with yourself sideways, that would be even funnier.

You really are an asshat. Take your freedumbs and your stupid arguments to a place where the feeble-minded like yourself will nod in agreement to your ridiculous notions.

Idaho would welcome you, you can probably join an active militia while you're there, so that's a bonus.

If all goes in your favor, soon a government goon will tie your velcro shoes.

And if not, you've still got HROT dunce-posting to fall back on.

Reactions: Coach_Fry
If all goes in your favor, soon a government goon will tie your velcro shoes.

And if not, you've still got HROT dunce-posting to fall back on.

Sure, sure. I've heard it all before, going on decades now. Yet, nothing happens as predicted.

I pick my battles. You pick your nose.

This is just so obviously wrong that I can't believe you and Art keep saying this.

How often do you drive on the wrong side of the road or the wrong way on one-way streets.

We all obey lots of laws/rules when they aren't strictly necessary. And when some people don't, because they (rightly) think it's stupid or not supported by science, overall compliance doesn't go to hell.

You guys are basically pre-excusing non-compliance with a policy that could save hundreds of thousands of lives because you believe that some element of it goes a little too far.

Not at all. You are encouraging non-compliance by insisting on unreasonable requirements. Like I said, if you have science to support your requirement...

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Agree.

Shouldn't that logic also to extend to old and unhealthy people who are most at risk of dying?
I tend to think that vulnerable people still may need to get out. Plenty are single folks with limited options. As long as they are smart about it and doing their part, the onus is then on others to mask up and give distance. It just a’int that hard to do.
Not much different than avoiding the spread of the common cold. Common decency...

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Not at all. You are encouraging non-compliance by insisting on unreasonable requirements. Like I said, if you have science to support your requirement...
Now you're just abusing the "follow the science" mantra.

There's no science saying we need to wear masks in flower shops or Indian restaurants. But that doesn't mean it makes GOOD POLICY SENSE to have a mask mandate that exempts flower shops and Indian restaurants.

We're looking for a policy that's easy to understand, easy to comply with, and that has a strong likelihood of producing the desired results.

wtf? How is driving on one side of the road not reasonable or necessary? You make no sense.

We are saying we disagree with a measure that is unsupported by science.

Indoors? Sure

outdoors? Nope

Mainly this. ^^ BUT...if we are going to get serious with a national mandate, then first we need to get serious about what constitutes an effective mask AND the f****er's better be worn right AND clean.

A goodly percentage of the mask wearers now are accomplishing little to nothing since the mask is a scarf/turtleneck pulled from their neck, not any type of fabric that would repel an airborne virus, dirty as all get out, worn in such a way as to not cover their nose and sometimes their mouth, etc, etc.

A month ago or so I saw one lady confront another lady about not wearing a mask when she herself had her mask covering only her mouth, not her nose, as she was well inside of 6' giving the other lady the business. WTH?

I am not going to wear a mask just because.

Reactions: artradley
The next time you're right about anything, it will be the first occurrence. I'm not holding my breath, genius.

The next time you dunce-post on HROT will be yet another in your endless string.

Nobody ever told you losing hte gene pool lottery was going to be easy, did they?

Johnson County has had a mask mandate for almost two months. With strong compliance.
Cases are lower than other counties, but not low enough that you, Joe, Mitch, Riley and others would ever support lifting the mandate.
So, don't pretend it would only be for a few weeks.
It's potentially forever, until either the vaccine works, or the virus fizzles out.

Honestly, what makes you think such a mandate would last for just a couple weeks or months? To me, that makes NO SENSE.

The virus is not going to disappear in that time frame no matter how hard you lock down.

Reactions: artradley
Johnson County has had a mask mandate for almost two months. With strong compliance.
Cases are lower than other counties, but not low enough that you, Joe, Mitch, Riley and others would ever support lifting the mandate.
So, don't pretend it would only be for a few weeks.
It's potentially forever, until either the vaccine works, or the virus fizzles out.

Back last summer when New Yorkers were dropping like flies in the midst of a strict lockdown, Cuomo announced the results of a recent study showing that 66% of all new COVID hospital admissions came from those who had been sheltering in place and following all the mitigation guidelines.

Perhaps if we could just get one huge mask and mandate that all the pea-brains be wrapped up inside it, everyone could be happy?

Idaho ranks 12th in cases per million, but 37th in deaths per million.

Must be doing something right.

Mainly this. ^^ BUT...if we are going to get serious with a national mandate, then first we need to get serious about what constitutes an effective mask AND the f****er's better be worn right AND clean.

A goodly percentage of the mask wearers now are accomplishing little to nothing since the mask is a scarf/turtleneck pulled from their neck, not any type of fabric that would repel an airborne virus, dirty as all get out, worn in such a way as to not cover their nose and sometimes their mouth, etc, etc.

A month ago or so I saw one lady confront another lady about not wearing a mask when she herself had her mask covering only her mouth, not her nose, as she was well inside of 6' giving the other lady the business. WTH?

I am not going to wear a mask just because.

We are really dropping the ball in every area and at every level. Back when had nightly press conferences we should have been educating people on the best way to avoid the spread, which would have included how to wear a mask and how face shields could be used if you find masks uncomfortable.

We should have been selling compliance by explaining that while the risk to any one individual is low - so panic is unwarranted - the public health problem is significant - so we should consider it our civic and patriotic duty to try our best to avoid the spread.

It should have been education and PR. Instead we just had Fauci telling us how awful things are (not useful) followed by Trump telling us it was going to be fine (also not useful.)

As you point out, we are seven months into it and there is no coordinated effort to educate people on proper mask use.

If I’m a Democratic governor I don’t just complain about Trump. I do the things at my state that I believe Trump should be doing for the nation.

Bunch of f*cking lemmings in this thread. You want the government to hold your d*ck while you pee or wipe your vag when you're done peeing?

Well there's another useless argument against common sense. Your argument is about as compelling as a pile of dog crap. Idaho awaits, you should look into it.

I already wear my mask everywhere other than my desk, my car and on my property. I just wish everyone else would so I don't have to worry about their cooties.

We've participated in life since Charlotte came out of SIP orders and masks are fine. Even through some youth baseball tournaments and coaching my youngest in Little League this fall, it's been fine. I wear the mask when I'm out and about. If I settle into a spot at a baseball game where I'm distanced and not moving around, I can take it off if I want. I wore it throughout all games and practices coaching my kid. Sure, it was hot when coaching in 80+ degree weather, but somehow, I survived.

Let's be real about a mandate. We only need on because a subset of the populace is too stupid/selfish to take such a simple precaution.....and those people are generally not likely to comply.

Reactions: 3boysmom and SSG T
We are really dropping the ball in every area and at every level. Back when had nightly press conferences we should have been educating people on the best way to avoid the spread, which would have included how to wear a mask and how face shields could be used if you find masks uncomfortable.

We should have been selling compliance by explaining that while the risk to any one individual is low - so panic is unwarranted - the public health problem is significant - so we should consider it our civic and patriotic duty to try our best to avoid the spread.

It should have been education and PR. Instead we just had Fauci telling us how awful things are (not useful) followed by Trump telling us it was going to be fine (also not useful.)

As you point out, we are seven months into it and there is no coordinated effort to educate people on proper mask use.

If I’m a Democratic governor I don’t just complain about Trump. I do the things at my state that I believe Trump should be doing for the nation.

Very well said IMO. ^^ I particularly agree with the notion that really both parties have been ineffective in a coordinated, sensible, truly science based mitigation approach.

A mask mandate, probably a Dem thing v. a Rep thing, is nearly pointless if the masks are not worn properly, not constructed properly, etc. It seems one party is over done towards "mandating" behaviors and the other is over done towards resisting being told what to do. Where are the people in the middle ground?

ADVERTISEMENT