ADVERTISEMENT

Polling shows record-low confidence in Supreme Court

More likely that Congress at some point strips the Court from reviewing certain types of cases.
Now this is a more honest solution with an existing constitutional basis, though picking what cases to divest jurisdiction of would be an interesting exercise. For example, I'd think that, say, abortion providers, would very much want federal jurisdiction to challenge state laws.

Now this is a more honest solution with an existing constitutional basis, though picking what cases to divest jurisdiction of would be an interesting exercise. For example, I'd think that, say, abortion providers, would very much want federal jurisdiction to challenge state laws.

It's a path to eventual disaster, but it's there ...

I prefer we not go down it.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Looking at the Gallup poll the numbers shake out like this
'
Great deal of confidence 11%
Quite a lot of confidence 14%
Some confidence 43%
Very little confidence 30%
No confidence 1%
No opinion 1

Kind of puts a different spin on it if you include the bolded....

By contrast....Gallup presidential polling goes like this

June 22

Approve 41%
Disapprove 57%
No Opinion 3%

Really can't compare Biden's polling with the Supreme Court as the questions aren't even the same....

Some confidence could be 20%...so no, it doesn't put a different light. And comparing two things with different scales is laughable

Reactions: globalhawk
A new poll from Gallup has found confidence in the U.S. Supreme Court has reached a record low as the branch’s conservative majority continues to pass down controversial rulings.
In a survey released Thursday afternoon, Gallup found that only 25% of Americans have "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in the Supreme Court.

Biden's numbers looking pretty good by comparison. LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/news/polling-shows-record-low-confidence-in-supreme-court-210643021.html
They don't think the court can legislate very well?

I'm not surprised. People get their opinions from guest commentators on cable news, bloggers, and tweeters, and never try to understand actual rulings. There are quite a few posters here who have strong opinions without any good basis.
I read this and I see a guy who would have supported King George III over the rabble in the streets.

In step with the public? That's the same thing as polling.

In step with the law is the correct answer. If the public doesn't like the law, then elect legislators to change the law.
Exactly, i will be casting my votes for my granddaughters and 2 great granddaughters in 22 and 24, that they have the same choices their mothers did.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
This really can't stand. They're making obvious political decisions that aren't based on any kind of consistent judicial philosophy or reasoning, they're explicitly doing the "legislating from the bench" that the conservatives pretended they abhorred for decades and decades.

We're probably at the point where nullification has to be an option, 6 unelected judges, several with dubious legitimacy because of the way they were placed on the court can't determine the political direction of the country against the wishes of the vast majority of the population.
Actually, they undid legislation from the bench with Roe V Wade. The 2A ruling this week was also totally within reasonable interpretation of the constitution.

People still have access to abortion, and now the the lawmakers can make real laws to govern abortion instead of hoping the courts keep it intact.

Meanwhile, the right is upset about the new gun control measures passed this week, but thats real law. Law the court (all courts) will uphold.

Gun control and abortion meaningfully impact very few people in reality.

Let's pretend abortions were really banned...It would be a coup for tmz to have all those celebrities' and politicians' illegitimate children be born...

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
That means you liked the 2A ruling. It was just as much legislating from the bench as Roe.
It wasn't though, it was a fair interpretation of the constitution, and it superceded state law. I couldn't care less about the 2A decision actually. As far as I'm concerned it isn't all bad to make people give a reason they need a gun. That could be admissible in court should the gun owner prove irresponsible.

I don't have guns, NRA stickers and ADT signs are all I need.

It wasn't though, it was a fair interpretation of the constitution, and it superceded state law. I couldn't care less about the 2A decision actually. As far as I'm concerned it isn't all bad to make people give a reason they need a gun. That could be admissible in court should the gun owner prove irresponsible.

I don't have guns, NRA stickers and ADT signs are all I need.
It was entirely dependent on a line of 2nd and 14th Amendment jurisprudence developed in the last fifteen years.

Looking at the Gallup poll the numbers shake out like this
'
Great deal of confidence 11%
Quite a lot of confidence 14%
Some confidence 43%
Very little confidence 30%
No confidence 1%
No opinion 1

Kind of puts a different spin on it if you include the bolded....

By contrast....Gallup presidential polling goes like this

June 22

Approve 41%
Disapprove 57%
No Opinion 3%

Really can't compare Biden's polling with the Supreme Court as the questions aren't even the same....
If you say so. Lol.

Exactly, i will be casting my votes for my granddaughters and 2 great granddaughters in 22 and 24, that they have the same choices their mothers did.
And if their mothers had made that choice you wouldn't have 2 granddaughters. We all started the same way.

hahahahahaha. I have to say, I honestly don't think I've ever heard of anybody in my entire life advocating for Marbury v. Madison to be overruled.

Oh, and Brown v. Board of Education says hi.
You are going to be in the future. The idea of a court giving itself a power that was not given to it in the constitution and unchecked by the other branches is, frankly, pretty absurd, and can only last while it aligns with the majority of the country.

Here is one article discussing legislative remedies, such as restricting the court's authority to only certain cases (ironically what the constitution actually does), or requiring super-majority votes in others.

Judicial Review is Unconstitutional

Not sure your argument here.
Thought it was a little misleading to leave the answer that got the most responses out of the write up in the linked article. Wouldn’t have seen it if I didn’t look at the source document.

Anyway…took a statistics class on polling years ago and I just look for those kinds of things….kind of my pet peeve.

Thought it was a little misleading to leave the answer that got the most responses out of the write up in the linked article. Wouldn’t have seen it if I didn’t look at the source document.

Anyway…took a statistics class on polling years ago and I just look for those kinds of things….kind of my pet peeve.
Get it. However, some confidence is a very poor number. 43% with just some. That is a sad state in American govt.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
You know, there's some appeal to that "panel" approach, but even in our courts of appeals, panel decisions are subject to en banc review to avoid the issues that arise from random generation of a panel that is clearly out to lunch. If you're going to have that feature (and maybe you're not), you haven't really added much. having cases decided by the same group of judges does increase the consistency of decisionmaking on the whole. Imagine, for example, a case being decided by a random panel of Kagan, Soto, and Jackson, and then the next similar case is addressed by a random panel of Alito/Thomas/Kav. or vice versa.
I don't get your point at all. Is the goal for "consistency" or is the goal justice? Having a random court helps to eliminate cases that are advanced because of a strong bias of the court, as we have now. It helps to isolate the Justices who are influenced by political advocacy. It brings more fairness to the court and, with the age limits, renewed legitimacy.

It is much better in your hypothetical as well knowing that a similar decision has been made will influence the court toward maintaining precedence again (vs. being ignored today).

A new poll from Gallup has found confidence in the U.S. Supreme Court has reached a record low as the branch’s conservative majority continues to pass down controversial rulings.
In a survey released Thursday afternoon, Gallup found that only 25% of Americans have "a great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in the Supreme Court.

Biden's numbers looking pretty good by comparison. LOL

https://www.yahoo.com/news/polling-shows-record-low-confidence-in-supreme-court-210643021.html

You don't say....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT