ADVERTISEMENT

Pool vs back yard space

Should I get a pool?

• Hell yes. Pools are awesome.

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • Absolutely not. Poops are a PIA and your yard is too small.

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • “‘Eff yo momma!”

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters

nolesincebirth

HR Legend
Apr 15, 2003
I posted this on Soundoff but wanted to get opinions here too.

I live in NJ. I grew up in Florida and had a pool as a kid. I have a relatively small back yard here in NJ; it’s currently about 50 x 25 total grass space plus a patio paver sitting area and grill.

I HATE summers here. I always have. I lived in the NE for 12 years and always feel trapped during the summer. It’s hot AF and the Jersey shore is too crowded and expensive to get to regularly. I don’t have a boat. I’m just stuck without access to water. I’m miserable and I feel bad that my kids aren’t getting the same experiences I had with a pool. Summers were always full of pool and bbq get together all summer long. We’ve thought about joining a pool club which isn’t a bad idea but I’m not thrilled about it. But it is an option and about 10 min away.

So here’s my dilemma. I can fit an approximate 16 x 28 pool plus surrounding cool coat/pavers. But it would essentially remove any grass area in my back yard. I can shift the current patio and fence a bit a create about a 36 x 14 grass area on the other side of the yard.

My kids are 12 (boy) and 9 (girl) so they’ve outgrown just playing in the yard. But they’re perfect age for a pool. So I’m inclined to say eff the grass and get the pool. But I’m worried that it could be problematic from an aesthetic standpoint and resale to have such small grass area. And I can really only use if from late May to early September.

So, I’m looking for feedback. How important is a yard vs having a pool?

My neighbor basically made their entire tiny back yard a pool. Looks ridiculous and due to our neighborhood being built pre-zoning in the 1920s, their pool is like 2 feet from my house. It’s pretty annoying.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Our “across the hayfield“neighbors put one in when the kids were about the same age as yours. It gets a lot of use. One of my brothers has a similar story. Later on, maybe it becomes a drag, who knows.
If you make the most it, you would prolly enjoy having it around.

I live in NJ. I grew up in Florida and had a pool as a kid. I have a relatively small back yard here in NJ; it’s currently about 50 x 25 total grass space plus a patio paver sitting area and grill.

I HATE summers here. I always have. I lived in the NE for 12 years and always feel trapped during the summer. It’s hot AF and the Jersey shore is too crowded and expensive to get to regularly. I don’t have a boat. I’m just stuck without access to water. I’m miserable and I feel bad that my kids aren’t getting the same experiences I had with a pool. Summers were always full of pool and bbq get together all summer long. We’ve thought about joining a pool club which isn’t a bad idea but I’m not thrilled about it. But it is an option and about 10 min away.

So here’s my dilemma. I can fit an approximate 16 x 28 pool plus surrounding cool coat/pavers. But it would essentially remove any grass area in my back yard. I can shift the current patio and fence a bit a create about a 36 x 14 grass area on the other side of the yard.

My kids are 12 (boy) and 9 (girl) so they’ve outgrown just playing in the yard. But they’re perfect age for a pool. So I’m inclined to say eff the grass and get the pool. But I’m worried that it could be problematic from an aesthetic standpoint and resale to have such small grass area. And I can really only use if from late May to early September.

Without considering anything else, I would opt for the pool. Once kids are not playing in the yard it is basically useless.

However, if you ever sell your house that’s a lot of money down the drain, if you will. I wouldn’t do it unless you intend to be there for a long, long time. Because it’s a very expensive endeavor.

And in NJ you really want to heat it.

Twenty some years ago, my wife really wanted a pool; I was opposed, figuring she would use it all the time, and I would never use it but would get stuck maintaining it. Of course, she won out and we got the pool.
I love having it; I am in it for at least a few minutes almost every day (other than a month or so in the dead of winter, but even then I still jump in regularly. It’s Florida, it doesn’t get that cold).
I would get the pool. Only way I might think differently is if you know you plan to sell it within the next few years & you really think it would hurt when trying to sell. If your concerns about selling are something in the distant future, forget that nonsense, get the pool, and enjoy it while you and your kids are still young.

Twenty some years ago, my wife really wanted a pool; I was opposed, figuring she would use it all the time, and I would never use it but would get stuck maintaining it. Of course, she won out and we got the pool.
I love having it; I am in it for at least a few minutes almost every day (other than a month or so in the dead of winter, but even then I still jump in regularly. It’s Florida, it doesn’t get that cold).
I would get the pool. Only way I might think differently is if you know you plan to sell it within the next few years & you really think it would hurt when trying to sell. If your concerns about selling are something in the distant future, forget that nonsense, get the pool, and enjoy it while you and your kids are still young.
We’re here and in this house for AT LEAST 10 more years. After that, it’s unknown.

But is a pool up here that detrimental to resale? @artradley might know. I really have no idea.

We’re here and in this house for AT LEAST 10 more years. After that, it’s unknown.

But is a pool up here that detrimental to resale? @artradley might know. I really have no idea.

Do you know anyone in your area who works in the real estate business - either a realtor , home builder, or developer? That’s who I would be asking. Obviously don’t ask a pool contractor, because I think I know how he’d answer.

We love our pool. Who cares about resale....you are living there so go ahead and live there and stop worrying about some magical person in the future that might not want a pool assuming you want to sell someday

You have a small yard. What the hell are the kids going to do back there anyway? Too small to do anything...unless you have a pool.

Assuming you don’t have a dog, I would go for it. We put one in last year and we love it. My wife and I actually use it more than the kids, and we don’t plan to ever move. It adds up though. After running electric and gas, putting in the pool/pump/heater, automatic pool cover, proper fence with self-closing doors, decking, and then stuff like the robotic vacuum (worth every penny), etc, you are probably looking at $150k.

They used to be I think but now I notice the houses that come on the market with pools are quickly snatched up.

Assuming you don’t have a dog, I would go for it. We put one in last year and we love it. My wife and I actually use it more than the kids, and we don’t plan to ever move. It adds up though. After running electric and gas, putting in the pool/pump/heater, automatic pool cover, proper fence with self-closing doors, decking, and then stuff like the robotic vacuum (worth every penny), etc, you are probably looking at $150k.
I do have a dog. She’s high energy and our current yard really isn’t big enough for her. I take her on a run or walk daily. Sometimes multiple times. But she’s half lab and the damn thing loves to swim! When she’s near a pool, she’s in it. That’s part of the appeal. She’ll wear herself out swimming around.

As for cost, based on the size I’m looking at, I’m estimating around $100k but I really have no idea. We already have the fence and the yard is relatively flat but will need some grading. So I could be way off. We’ve started calling to schedule appointments for quotes but this is still very preliminary.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We love our pool. Who cares about resale....you are living there so go ahead and live there and stop worrying about some magical person in the future that might not want a pool assuming you want to sell someday

You have a small yard. What the hell are the kids going to do back there anyway? Too small to do anything...unless you have a pool.

But if you’re going to spend $100k, and only intend to be there four or five years, you need to understand you have not added value to your home. So you have to decide if you want to spend $100k and give the next owner a free pool? Because the $20-$25k a year you have in it could be used for some damn nice beach vacations with money left over.

But if you’re going to spend $100k, and only intend to be there four or five years, you need to understand you have not added value to your home. So you have to decide if you want to spend $100k and give the next owner a free pool? Because the $20-$25k a year you have in it could be used for some damn nice beach vacations with money left over.

If you have 100k to dump into a pool then this isn't really an issue. You can afford both. If you can't then don't spend 100k on a pool and that is a different conversation.

Anyone who says they are staying in a house for 10 years, will be out in 5. A 2 year wait for a pool and you are only getting a few years use. Also, if you “think” it will be around $100k, then add $30k, unless you got a written bid for $100k.

• Haha
If you have 100k to dump into a pool then this isn't really an issue. You can afford both. If you can't then don't spend 100k on a pool and that is a different conversation.

Someone might be able to rationally afford $5k a year for a pool, but not $25k. That’s the difference between living in the house another 20 years versus another four years.

From a quantitative analysis perspective, that is part of the decision process. Just because you have $100k liquid, doesn’t mean you can afford to spend it on something without consideration for how long you will use it.

I do have a dog. She’s high energy and our current yard really isn’t big enough for her. I take her on a run or walk daily. Sometimes multiple times. But she’s half lab and the damn thing loves to swim! When she’s near a pool, she’s in it. That’s part of the appeal. She’ll wear herself out swimming around.

As for cost, based on the size I’m looking at, I’m estimating around $100k but I really have no idea. We already have the fence and the yard is relatively flat but will need some grading. So I could be way off. We’ve started calling to schedule appointments for quotes but this is still very preliminary.
Judging by the experience of a couple of neighbors that have put in pools, if you have started scheduling appointments you should be able to enjoy your pool by early 2023.

Love having a pool. Interesting thing is they have flipped over last decade where conventional thought was buying a with a house with a pool was a bad choice because people viewed it as decreased value of house since many people do not want pools = harder to sell. Not anymore. Everyone wants them. Definitely help sell your house.

We have an above ground, 29’x17’x48” and our deck runs along the 29’ length. Absolutely love it. We can only use it 3 months out of the year in Iowa, but by the time the school year rolls around, we are pretty much done with it for the summer. We’ve had it now for 7 years. Spent $10k on the pool and $10k on the deck. Just ordered sew winter cover for it today so we know the season end is near.

I say say go for it but it would drive me nuts to not be able to let the dogs out to do their biz in the morning or late at night in a fenced yard

Had one when we were kids. Loved it. I don't like public pools so I swam a lot more once we got it. As we got older became a hassle and my Dad filled it in. I was also a concrete one from the 70s so the maintenance/construction needs started to become more than it was worth.

I will add that on this perfect summer day in iowa, after spending the afternoon in and around the pool, I have that sun soaked satisfied feeling you get going somewhere warm on spring break when it is cold back home. Imagine have that feeling 100 times per year, and the fun you will have hosting parties, if that helps with your calculus on how to proceed.

I will add that on this perfect summer day in iowa, after spending the afternoon in and around the pool, I have that sun soaked satisfied feeling you get going somewhere warm on spring break when it is cold back home. Imagine have that feeling 100 times per year, and the fun you will have hosting parties, if that helps with your calculus on how to proceed.
This is what I’m talking about!

My wife wants a pool. For all the dadgum trees we have, we honestly need the additional $15K built-in floor scrubbers so that makes for a $100K pool.

A. I don't want the payment
B. I don't want the extra chore
C. I want to enjoy the pool, BUT someone else needs to pay for it and clean it. Where do I sign up for that?

Pools are like boats; it’s better to have a friend with one than to own one yourself.

Reactions: thewop
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT