ADVERTISEMENT

Poor offensive play is 99% on the coaches.

hawkod

All-Conference
Apr 6, 2007
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the recruiting profile of our defensive players and our offensive players is the same.
Not like the D gets 4 and 5 star recruits and the O is signing 2 and 3 star prospects. How does it end up that our defense is in the top 10% nationally and our offensive is in the bottom 10%?
Anyone?....

You’re right about one thing, it’s on the coaches. You’re overly simplified version of the problem isn’t accurate. I think it’s recruiting as much as anything at this point. OL sucks, QB’s suck and we’re fielding 1 legitimate WR. You can’t have that many misses for a developmental program.

It's the coaches job to put players into the best position to succeed based on their abilities. That means being willing and able to adjust.
It seems like KFz's method is to force a square peg into the round hole hard and long enough until (by the end of the season) it fits. If you lose some games along the way...well, that's football.

I’ve said this many times. Our O line has very few guys that look,play or act they belong. Same can’t be said about our defensive players.
Dont get it,,,we should be getting DUDES but we aren’t for whatever reason…Don’t get it.
They either don't want, or are convinced by cork-socking negative recruiting coaches not to come to Iowa to help them win a national championship.

.........except for Kadyn Proctor.

He made the right choice. He'll never leave us............ :)

The problem is it's self perpetuating. No top shelf skill position players will come to this mess. So, with poor player development, no one stands out and few have "breakout" seasons.

It appears things won't improve until KF/BF leave. And as we saw towards the end of the Hayden era, it's really difficult to hire great assistants when they know the HC might be gone soon.

Without PP, this would set up like the 96/97 seasons. PP is the savior for now.

It's the coaches job to put players into the best position to succeed based on their abilities. That means being willing and able to adjust.
It seems like KFz's method is to force a square peg into the round hole hard and long enough until (by the end of the season) it fits. If you lose some games along the way...well, that's football.
I think BF & KF are stubborn if to think that. I think they thought week 1 just like NW last year when they trotted out an injured Petras they thought they could just run it majority of game with few high risk pass and win a 10-14 pt game score around 20. But you need some semblance of a passing game and why Padilla came in that opened up the running game for Goodson in NW game last year after he made a few throws. Because this team is not one yet that can just bully a lesser team like so many Iowa teams had done in the past to FCS, non P5 and weaker Big 10 teams and win those games where it's first one to 20.

The problem is it's self perpetuating. No top shelf skill position players will come to this mess. So, with poor player development, no one stands out and few have "breakout" seasons.

It appears things won't improve until KF/BF leave. And as we saw towards the end of the Hayden era, it's really difficult to hire great assistants when they know the HC might be gone soon.

Without PP, this would set up like the 96/97 seasons. PP is the savior for now.

We had two first round tight ends and a fifth round wideout, hell even a qb who was drafted 4 years ago.

I’ve said this many times. Our O line has very few guys that look,play or act they belong. Same can’t be said about our defensive players.
Dont get it,,,we should be getting DUDES but we aren’t for whatever reason…Don’t get it.
Because our offense is the bottom 30 of 130 teams...we will get the occasional local guy, but who wants to play for this offense? Until KF relinquishes complete control of the Offense, we will continue this groundhog day.

Reactions: jhawk23
Other than under sized Jackrabbits pushing our 300 # OL into the backfield on most plays, just like last year. Doyle loss was Yuge…
Yep. Just because a lineman goes from 270 LBs to 310LBs doesn't necessarily mean it was good weight added.

99% on the coaches is an exaggeration. They do need to shoulder a lot though. Are fumbles and dropped passes on the coaches? Certainly play calling is.

ADVERTISEMENT