ADVERTISEMENT

Pope says priests can bless same-sex unions, requests should not be subject to moral analysis

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Pope Francis has formally approved allowing priests to bless same-sex couples, with a new document explaining a radical change in Vatican policy by insisting that people seeking God’s love and mercy shouldn’t be subject to “an exhaustive moral analysis” to receive it.

The document from the Vatican’s doctrine office, released Monday, elaborates on a letter Francis sent to two conservative cardinals that was published in October. In that preliminary response, Francis suggested such blessings could be offered under some circumstances if they didn’t confuse the ritual with the sacrament of marriage.

The new document repeats that rationale and elaborates on it, reaffirming that marriage is a lifelong sacrament between a man and a woman. And it stresses that blessings should not be conferred at the same time as a civil union or even with the clothing and gestures that belong in a wedding.

But it says requests for such blessings should not be denied full stop. It offers an extensive definition of the term “blessing” in Scripture to insist that people seeking a transcendent relationship with God and looking for his love and mercy should not be subject to “an exhaustive moral analysis” as a precondition for receiving it.

“Ultimately, a blessing offers people a means to increase their trust in God,” the document said. “The request for a blessing, thus, expresses and nurtures openness to the transcendence, mercy, and closeness to God in a thousand concrete circumstances of life, which is no small thing in the world in which we live.”

He added: “It is a seed of the Holy Spirit that must be nurtured, not hindered.”

I'm not Catholic and I couldn't care less what a human pope says or thinks, but I have to imagine God wouldn't change His views based on outcry from the public like this:

That document created an outcry, one it appeared even Francis was blindsided by even though he had technically approved its publication. Soon after it was published, he removed the official responsible for it and set about laying the groundwork for a reversal.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
The Pope probably has forgotten how real life is at the parish or diocese level. Individual priests now have permission to bless same sex unions, but for most priests, that won't change what they actually do. If those priests were already inclined to do a blessing, now they can just do it openly. If a priest doesn't want to do the blessing, he still won't be doing it. Parish priests often make up their own rules.

Reactions: goldmom
The Pope probably has forgotten how real life is at the parish or diocese level. Individual priests now have permission to bless same sex unions, but for most priests, that won't change what they actually do. If those priests were already inclined to do a blessing, now they can just do it openly. If a priest doesn't want to do the blessing, he still won't be doing it. Parish priests often make up their own rules.
Yep. The collection basket depends on it.

I wonder how many gay couples even lose sleep over the fact that the Catholic Church wasn’t “blessing” their legal union?
For those who might, good for them. I wish them congratulations and continued happiness. 🥰
I have some Catholic friends who I’m sure would be happy with this but they long got over losing any sleep, I think.

I personally don’t care what any religion thinks about my family but where I take issue is when they push for (or against) laws that impact how the law views my family.

Pope Francis has formally approved allowing priests to bless same-sex couples, with a new document explaining a radical change in Vatican policy by insisting that people seeking God’s love and mercy shouldn’t be subject to “an exhaustive moral analysis” to receive it.

The document from the Vatican’s doctrine office, released Monday, elaborates on a letter Francis sent to two conservative cardinals that was published in October. In that preliminary response, Francis suggested such blessings could be offered under some circumstances if they didn’t confuse the ritual with the sacrament of marriage.

The new document repeats that rationale and elaborates on it, reaffirming that marriage is a lifelong sacrament between a man and a woman. And it stresses that blessings should not be conferred at the same time as a civil union or even with the clothing and gestures that belong in a wedding.

But it says requests for such blessings should not be denied full stop. It offers an extensive definition of the term “blessing” in Scripture to insist that people seeking a transcendent relationship with God and looking for his love and mercy should not be subject to “an exhaustive moral analysis” as a precondition for receiving it.

“Ultimately, a blessing offers people a means to increase their trust in God,” the document said. “The request for a blessing, thus, expresses and nurtures openness to the transcendence, mercy, and closeness to God in a thousand concrete circumstances of life, which is no small thing in the world in which we live.”

He added: “It is a seed of the Holy Spirit that must be nurtured, not hindered.”

This is the worst Pope in history, he needs to step down.

Religion is turrrrrible.

turrible-charles-barkley.gif

I think Pope Francis is setting things up for his successor to allow gay marriages and go full Episcopalian but that's just speculation on my part.

I think Pope Francis is setting things up for his successor to allow gay marriages and go full Episcopalian but that's just speculation on my part.
Did he get new guidance from God? Or we’re just adding a little self-interpretation in there?

I’m all for equal rights but I’m curious as to the change from the church.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The Catholic Church is all about the Benjamin’s.
I was raised catholic and remember being told I would go to hell for eating a hamburger on Friday,I smugly replied “show me that in the Bible”.
The church stands for nothing.
The current pope is a cafeteria catholic.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
1. This is correct, though it will not surprise me in the slightest when 'may' turns to 'must' in some dioceses.
2. The summary of the action is ok as far as it goes. A 'blessing' is not a sacramental act in the Catholic church, while a marriage is. So, for example, priests routinely bless people and things in all sorts of context (including, citing my own pre-conversion experience, non-catholics who present themselves as such during the distribution of communion hosts, dogs on St. Francis of Assisi day, and creches yesterday). And in that respect, there's no particular reason that gay people should not be blessed. But where this is a little limited and theologically squishy in a typically francis sense is that the article could be construed to suggest that it is the "act" or the "union" that is being/may be blessed, rather than the persons.
3. Brianole - Despite my fairly conservative nova parish, i've been participating in the georgetown/holy trinity rcia program at the request of a friend because they need sponsors for catechumens. We're supposed to be covering some core outlines of mariology tomorrow night, but i swear to god if the lay lady who's running the program does her usual 'current events' thing and pivots to this instead, i'm going to giver her all the jesuit 'reflection' she can handle.

Reactions: BrianNole777
If we had Jesus DNA, what would it look like?

What would his 23andMe show? 98% Aramaic? Lol.

This feels like not much of a thing at all. They aren't allowed to perform same sex marriages. As others have said Catholic priests bless all sorts of things including easter baskets, pets, etc.

1. This is correct, though it will not surprise me in the slightest when 'may' turns to 'must' in some dioceses.
2. The summary of the action is ok as far as it goes. A 'blessing' is not a sacramental act in the Catholic church, while a marriage is. So, for example, priests routinely bless people and things in all sorts of context (including, citing my own pre-conversion experience, non-catholics who present themselves as such during the distribution of communion hosts, dogs on St. Francis of Assisi day, and creches yesterday). And in that respect, there's no particular reason that gay people should not be blessed. But where this is a little limited and theologically squishy in a typically francis sense is that the article could be construed to suggest that it is the "act" or the "union" that is being/may be blessed, rather than the persons.
3. Brianole - Despite my fairly conservative nova parish, i've been participating in the georgetown/holy trinity rcia program at the request of a friend because they need sponsors for catechumens. We're supposed to be covering some core outlines of mariology tomorrow night, but i swear to god if the lay lady who's running the program does her usual 'current events' thing and pivots to this instead, i'm going to giver her all the jesuit 'reflection' she can handle.
While I think Bianole is sincere within himself, he wears his religion on his sleeve. Because he supports abortion, he may not be the expert on the Church he advertises.

When one gets away from all of the rules and proclamations, the Catholic Church tries to walk a fine line between hating the sin and loving the sinner. That said, it still depends on the parish priest and the diocese bishop.

My son was supposed to get married by his parish priest in 2022. He and his bride went to the required pre cana sessions with the priest. Second session the priest wants to see a picture of the wedding gown. The gown was modest, but didn't cover the bride's shoulders. The priest said the gown had to be changed, or some other covering of the shoulders was required. Without that, not only would he not perform the wedding, but it also couldn't be done by anyone else. My son had been a member of that parish for 16 years, and in the KoC for 8 years. There was nothing disrespectful or provocative about the gown. The Church can be really ignorant at times, but that's nothing new.

While I think Bianole is sincere within himself, he wears his religion on his sleeve. Because he supports abortion, he may not be the expert on the Church he advertises.

When one gets away from all of the rules and proclamations, the Catholic Church tries to walk a fine line between hating the sin and loving the sinner. That said, it still depends on the parish priest and the diocese bishop.

My son was supposed to get married by his parish priest in 2022. He and his bride went to the required pre cana sessions with the priest. Second session the priest wants to see a picture of the wedding gown. The gown was modest, but didn't cover the bride's shoulders. The priest said the gown had to be changed, or some other covering of the shoulders was required. Without that, not only would he not perform the wedding, but it also couldn't be done by anyone else. My son had been a member of that parish for 16 years, and in the KoC for 8 years. There was nothing disrespectful or provocative about the gown. The Church can be really ignorant at times, but that's nothing new.

I don't support abortion. Lol

Read my post history.

The Catholic Church is all about the Benjamin’s.
I was raised catholic and remember being told I would go to hell for eating a hamburger on Friday,I smugly replied “show me that in the Bible”.
The church stands for nothing.
The current pope is a cafeteria catholic.
Major churches ones that have assets in the 100 of millions are corporations. Scripture has taken a back seat to entertainment.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

I think they try to walk the line between staying true to scripture (as interpreted over the first several centuries AD) and not being left behind as society progresses beyond those archaic and ignorant notions. Mankind progresses, and The Church gets dragged along kicking and screaming.

As for your son, I hear stories like this and just can't get my arms around why somebody would even want to be involved with an organization like that, or be wed by someone so ludicrous in their demands.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Anybody else think it's kinda funny that protestants think they're theologians cause they finally learned how to kinda read a frequently self-contradicting book that almost nobody could read for centuries

As for your son, I hear stories like this and just can't get my arms around why somebody would even want to be involved with an organization like that, or be wed by someone so ludicrous in their demands.

Eternal bliss, as Jesus promised. :)

Anybody else think it's kinda funny that protestants think they're theologians cause they finally learned how to kinda read a frequently self-contradicting book that almost nobody could read for centuries

Yeah.

That's part of the reason there are 20,000+ protestant denominations.

I usually defend the pope even though I'm not Catholic but this seems odd.

The church still considers the partnerships to be in sin but is willing to "bless them" anyways. Blessing them seems to be an endorsement on the partnership. I don't see how it can be anything other than an endorsement.

I don't believe in the church passing moral judgement on every person they see or pass. But some moral judgement should be required when it involves a church action such as a blessing.

I think this is a step too far and it's almost ensured a right wing backlash whenever Francis dies or decides to retire.

What did they do?
Tell the priest to get lost and then they got married elsewhere?

I usually defend the pope even though I'm not Catholic but this seems odd.

The church still considers the partnerships to be in sin but is willing to "bless them" anyways. Blessing them seems to be an endorsement on the partnership. I don't see how it can be anything other than an endorsement.

I don't believe in the church passing moral judgement on every person they see or pass. But some moral judgement should be required when it involves a church action such as a blessing.

I think this is a step too far and it's almost ensured a right wing backlash whenever Francis dies or decides to retire.

This video helps explain it.

The same sex unions are not being blessed, only the individuals in hopes they will live a holy life.

I don't see this happening. I think it will take 50 years of progression... I guess that could be his successor if they bring in a young Pope...

I don't see this happening. I think it will take 50 years of progression... I guess that could be his successor if they bring in a young Pope...

There probably won't be a Pope under age 50 because they don't want them in office for decades.

Also, the younger clergy are much more orthodox than the baby boomers and Francis generation. :)

Reactions: NoleATL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT