ADVERTISEMENT

Pork Butt on the Pit Barrel Cooker!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Oh, wow.... this has been a great cook so far.

I had an 8 pound pork butt in the freezer and that bad boy is the star of the holiday weekend.

After thawing, I dry brined it yesterday.

Bright and early this morning, I did a heavy dusting of Meat Church's "The Gospel" rub and then went in with a light coat of Meat Church's "Holy Cow" rub.

Threw that dude on the PBC at 6:30 a.m. and let her rip.

Now, I do have a hack for the PBC. It tends to run hot and doesn't have any real way to control the air flow (and thus the cooking temp). For years I just let it do whatever, but then I discovered this great hack.

And that hack is: Aluminum foil!

Simply fold up a piece of foil and wedge it between the barrel and the barely-functioning air damper.

4W1neSO.jpg

Now you can absolutely dial in a temperature and it works great.

It took six hours to get into the stall, and then I wrapped with butcher paper and the "foil boat" method.

That's where we are now. 7+ hours in and that thing is still rocking.

Stay tuned for updates!

I had an 8 pound pork butt in the freezer and that bad boy is the star of the holiday weekend.

Bright and early this morning, I did a heavy dusting of Meat Church's "The Gospel" rub and then went in with a light coat of Meat Church's "Holy Cow" rub.

Now, I do have a hack for the PBC. It tends to run hot and doesn't have any real way to control the air flow (and thus the cooking temp). For years I just let it do whatever, but then I discovered this great hack.

Simply fold up a piece of foil and wedge it between the barrel and the barely-functioning air damper.

4W1neSO.jpg

It took six hours to get into the stall, and then I wrapped with butcher paper and the "foil boat" method.

Stay tuned for updates!
Just starting the lump now for baby back ribs. Probably have a bout 4.5 hours before consumption

Reactions: The Tradition

4W1neSO.jpg

Stay tuned for updates!
I’ve done this with brisket but found I haven’t had the need to with anything else especially pork butt. Those are sit and forget. Super easy in the PBC.

10 hours in, you must be close to done. What temp is it running now and when do you pull it.
I've been smoking for only 2 years and a few have been awesome and a few have been just good.

Always looking for pointers.

10 hours in, you must be close to done. What temp is it running now and when do you pull it.
I've been smoking for only 2 years and a few have been awesome and a few have been just good.

Always looking for pointers.

The Pit is still running 275 like a rock. The meat is around 190 degrees right now. When it gets to 195 I'll start checking for tenderness with a Thermopen.

The Pit is still running 275 like a rock. The meat is around 190 degrees right now. When it gets to 195 I'll start checking for tenderness with a Thermopen.
I typically end cooking at 202 and wrap in a towel and put in a cooler for 30 min.
Is that too long?

Brought the pork out of the cooler to rest on the counter and the PBC is STILL rocking at 250 after 12 hours. Freaking incredible!

Chicken hind quarters on the pit boss now. Wife is baking some boneless "wings" for the kids. I'm a smoker newbie. 3 makers/cokes down. Need to slow down.

I always make Malcolm Reed's coleslaw to go along with my PBC pulled pork or ribs.

1 pkg coleslaw mix
1/2 C mayo
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp celery seed

What did you do for sides?

I always make Malcolm Reed's coleslaw to go along with my PBC pulled pork or ribs.

1 pkg coleslaw mix
1/2 C mayo
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp celery seed

What did you do for sides?

Mrs. Trad (no pics) made some homemade slaw, but we're reheating the leftover pork for tomorrow, when we'll also have corn, smoked baked beans, potato salad, burgers, hot dogs, watermelon, pineapple....

ADVERTISEMENT