ADVERTISEMENT

Portal and the NIL

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: IRONBIRD
You are trying to tell someone that they didn't mean what they meant. Quit arguing semantics.
I am? Go back and look he is the one that asked ME a question. I answered it and he whined about my answer.

If you are putting Pepe La Beau at 25%??? Then every guy from IOWA he mentioned is well above that right?
Not sure how you define “well above” but Spencer is of course is well above by anyone’s metrics. I think Warner and Cass’s chances are better as well. Woods I may say same as Bartlett or possibly slightly less. Don’t see much concern here about his injury but imo I drop his chances a bit because of it.

there was creative editing. You said I said "true contender" - I absolutely stated "true finalist contender". I already did answer your question/comment about percentages. And for the sake of sanity, you've got el dub siding with you. That in itself is a strike against you with your argument with me here. And I'm not debating what you think - I'm simply saying if you are going to argue with me and call me out, them be accurate with what I said.
Ok, how about this?

I only meant true finalist contender. Sorry if I didn’t type finalist at some point and made it confusing.

With that said, I ONLY think Lee and a healthy Woods are “true finalist contenders” and the arguments I listed were only for finalist contenders. If we were going for true contenders I would drop Warner and Cass’s percentages by quite a bit from what they had and would probably drop Woods a bit as well.

Hopefully that ends our disagreement.

Ok, how about this?

I only meant true finalist contender. Sorry if I didn’t type finalist at some point and made it confusing.

With that said, I ONLY think Lee and a healthy Woods are “true finalist contenders” and the arguments I listed were only for finalist contenders. If we were going for true contenders I would drop Warner and Cass’s percentages by quite a bit from what they had and would probably drop Woods a bit as well.

Hopefully that ends our disagreement.
Fair enough - we can just agree to disagree with our opinions. Neither will be right or wrong until March.

Just when I agree to end our debate I get a "he whined about my answer"?
I apologize. Whine was too harsh. I rescind that. But, to be fair, you did throw me into the dreaded "what is wrong with you people" category!

Piffle…1
Fair enough again - el dub brings out the worst in me.
Sounds like a personal problem. Lol

But I’ve got my big boy pants on, so feal free to fire at will. (If it makes you feel better.)

Who are you, anyway?

Piffle…1

Sounds like a personal problem. Lol

But I’ve got my big boy pants on, so feal free to fire at will. (If it makes you feel better.)

Who are you, anyway?
Who am I? Who the F are you? See if you can figure that reference out. I don't need to fire away at you. You do enough on your own.

Reactions: el dub
Who am I? Who the F are you? See if you can figure that reference out. I don't need to fire away at you. You do enough on your own.
When I ask who you are, it means here in the cesspool. Nothing personal. (I see you’re a Hawk fan, at least.)

141 is ranked 3rd now so definitely an AA threat. 149 is a grade A blue chip so the talent is there, just doesn't have the resume built yet as a freshman. 165 is the same as 149 but a tougher weight class and hampered with an injury. So 125 is the only hole and that is because a grade A blue chip recruit is out injured. Haines has been going last last few matches so he seems to be the guy and will probably be a good bet to AA. Unless PSU gets caught in a bit of a turnover year with some injuries thrown on top I agree a couple champs and mid to low AAs added in won't cut it and getting the couple champs in the same year hasn't been common for us lately. Not only are they getting stud blue chips but they have been getting them in the room as HS seniors quite a bit so they usually have a lot of the growing pains worked out.
Exactly. A "hole" in the PSU lineup typically means putting in a highly sought after blue chip recruit - a HS top 10 p4p and #1 in his weight class. Howard, Bartlett, Facundo, and Van Ness and Haines all fit this description. Unless injured, they are likely AA's within a year or 2, if not immediately. Most schools would be overjoyed to have those kind of "holes."

I won't get into the semantics of true contender, finalists and winners, and just stick to the records so far...

PSU
133 2x national champ
171 2x national champ
184 2x national champ
197 1X national champ

Iowa
125 3x national champ

Assuming Lee's bilateral knee surgeries don't cause a problem, that's a still a huge gap.

Also, PSU has #1 ranked 285 and #3 ranked 141, plus a slew of ranked fr superstars, who'll likely move higher up in rankings as the season progresses.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but PSU will be the heavy favorite in March. Iowa and the rest will battle for 2nd.

Agree, the four are contenders. That said, at most 2 make the finals imo.
I concur...I think 2 is the number and anything above that would be a pleasant surprise in my opinion. Cass has looked good, but still has an obstacle or two to overcome, and I think it's safe to say that at 197 JWAR is one of about 8 that has a 10-20% chance of making the finals. Heck, you can even dip down as far as 13 on InterMat and find Tanner Sloan, who at times shows signs of taking it to that level. In the end, I think 2 finalists and 2-3 semi-finalists would be successful for Iowa this year. I think PK, even with the talent at 65 has as good or better chance of doing better than any Hawks outside our top 4 guys. Murin's been tearing it up, but I need to see that same aggression when he faces top 10 talent. As for Assad, Brands, and the rest, I would be really shocked to see any of them make the podium...more pleasant surprises.

Ok thank you. Just trying to get an overall feel for what or who you feel is a true finalist contender. I say yes as well although I put his chances at reaching the finals at around 25% give or take a few.
I think Bartlett is like Murin in that he can definitely get there, but will he get there when it matters. Like Murin he's going to have to show me in the Big Tens that he really belongs in the NCAA finals discussion. If he makes it to the finals and looks good against whoever joins him in the finals, I'll be a believer. He's wrestled well so far, but really hasn't faced the the first or second tier talent just yet. Let's see how it goes. Regardless PSU is rocking it this year...and that freshman talent will only get better. Our young horses that have still yet to race this year better come on in a big way next season and beyond!

Not sure how you define “well above” but Spencer is of course is well above by anyone’s metrics. I think Warner and Cass’s chances are better as well. Woods I may say same as Bartlett or possibly slightly less. Don’t see much concern here about his injury but imo I drop his chances a bit because of it.
Let the gambling begin. Johnstown Steel, I'm not sure if you're a rich man, poor man or somewhere in between, but since you're assuming that Woods may be the same as Bartlett or slightly less, let's put some money on it. All proceeds go to the other's wrestling club. If they meet at Penn State then that's the bet; if they don't then whoever wins when/if they face off at B10s; if they don't face off there then whoever gets the better placing at NCAAs. And to be fair, let's say an injury voids the bet unless the injury happens during the match between them (see ADS vs. RBY). Are you in? I'm good for anything from $5 to $50. The gambling is going to start sooner or later so why not now? :)

Let the gambling begin. Johnstown Steel, I'm not sure if you're a rich man, poor man or somewhere in between, but since you're assuming that Woods may be the same as Bartlett or slightly less, let's put some money on it. All proceeds go to the other's wrestling club. If they meet at Penn State then that's the bet; if they don't then whoever wins when/if they face off at B10s; if they don't face off there then whoever gets the better placing at NCAAs. And to be fair, let's say an injury voids the bet unless the injury happens during the match between them (see ADS vs. RBY). Are you in? I'm good for anything from $5 to $50. The gambling is going to start sooner or later so why not now? :)
@johnstownsteel: Or if I'm at Happy Valley for the meet and the win or loss happens there we can buy the other a beer and call it at that. :)

I rarely bet but sure… I’ll go 50 dollars on it. I would like to give you the chance to accept that the bet is on what happens at Nationals instead of at PSU meet. With match being at PSU I think you’re giving me a better shot to win. I’m one who believes in home mat advantage and not having to travel. Also hope I can meet you when you come in for the match. :)

Last edited:
I rarely bet but sure… I’ll go 50 dollars on it. I would like to give you the chance to accept that the bet is on what happens at Nationals instead of at PSU meet. With match being at PSU I think you’re giving me a better shot to win. I’m one who believes in home mat advantage and not having to travel. Also hope I can meet you when you come in for the match. :)
That sounds good...we'll go NCAAs (head to head or if that doesn't happen best placement). And yes, looking forward to the meet and hope to meet a couple of you fellas there! :)

Reactions: Goathead88
ADVERTISEMENT