• Keagan Johnson
  • Arland Bruce
  • Josh Volk
  • Gavin Williams
  • Reggie Bracy
  • Jestin Jacobs
  • Terry Roberts
Am I missing anybody?

All things considered, that number (8) seems a little lower than I expected. Certainly lower than the doomsday "Black Monday" that some were predicting. But I suppose it is possible that more are still to come.

Also, I think it's interesting that Padilla, Kumm, and Volk have all already been removed from the team's official roster. The others (K. Johnson, Bruce, Jacobs, Bracy, and G. Williams) are still listed.

EDIT: Added Terry Roberts. Removed Jordan Kumm (I'm not going to count walk-ons in this list.)

Last edited:
So, as far as I can tell, at the moment, our portal losses include:
  • Alex Padilla
  • Keagan Johnson
  • Arland Bruce
  • Josh Volk
  • Gavin Williams
  • Reggie Bracy
  • Jordan Kumm
  • Jestin Jacobs
Am I missing anybody?

All things considered, that number (8) seems a little lower than I expected. Certainly lower than the doomsday "Black Monday" that some were predicting. But I suppose it is possible that more are still to come.

Also, I think it's interesting that Padilla, Kumm, and Volk have all already been removed from the team's official roster. The others (K. Johnson, Bruce, Jacobs, Bracy, and G. Williams) are still listed.
I think the average is around 10-12 per team

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
  • Alex Padilla
  • Keagan Johnson
  • Arland Bruce
  • Josh Volk
  • Gavin Williams
  • Reggie Bracy
  • Jordan Kumm
  • Jestin Jacobs
Am I missing anybody?

I didn't even know who Kumm was. Are we including non-scholarship players now???

I didn't even know who Kumm was. Are we including non-scholarship players now???
Yeah, I had never heard of Kumm before either. But I saw a tweet and a post about him, so I put him on the list. But I suppose it's never been unusual for unknown walkons to quietly disappear in the past, so I have no problems removing him from the portal scoreboard. We'll call it 7 portal losses at the moment.

Reactions: BBHawk
I would like to see a statistic on transfers from teams before the portal and immediate eligibility and before NIL. As far as Iowa is concerned, it doesn't seem like the number of players transferring is much greater than any other season. The timing of the transfers is different due to portal deadlines and those deadlines make things more dramatic. I'd go as far to say that the portal or NIL only contributed to two transfers that wouldn't have taken place in pre-portal/NIL college football. Guys like Johnson, Bracy, Williams, and Padilla were all in situations that likely would have led to transferring in the past as well.

Thought I heard on Murph and Andy, Bama has 19 players in the portal. That’s basically a quarter of their roster.

• Alex Padilla
  • Keagan Johnson
  • Arland Bruce
  • Josh Volk
  • Gavin Williams
  • Reggie Bracy
  • Jordan Kumm
  • Jestin Jacobs
Am I missing anybody?

Terry Roberts?

So far, the portal has been a big win for Iowa.

Cade >>>> Jacobs, Keagan, etc.

The defense makes you a little nervous with Jacobs hitting the portal. If Van Ness and Lee end up going pro the D will end up losing a lot of talent. Question marks at DB, LB and DL. We would still have a lot of talent on D but there could be some holes.

We all know the dumpster fire the offense was this year. Through the portal Iowa potentially picked up its best QB since Beathard. They likely have Johnson at RB getting an increased load. TE with Lachey and Ostrenga will be tops. WR still needs some talent. Not a lot of bodies and average talent at best right now. The OL is a major issue. Not only is there absolutely no depth right now but the starters were terrible this year. They really didn't improve. Iowa needs transfers bad or all the above positives really won't matter much.

• Alex Padilla
  • Keagan Johnson
  • Arland Bruce
  • Josh Volk
  • Gavin Williams
  • Reggie Bracy
  • Jordan Kumm
  • Jestin Jacobs
Am I missing anybody?

Terry Roberts

If a player can get dollars now, then getting dollars now is a good move.
Good enough to go in round 2, maybe even 3, or better then go to the draft.
Good enough to get 50k rather than 5k NIL, make the move to another program.
Football playing days can be over in one play.

I suspect that the places with the NIL collectives who treat it like a business and pay players at a differential based on market value will be more successful than the ones paying all equally. And of course it won't hurt if they have billionaire donor(s) coughing up obscene amounts of money.

Keegan and Jacobs (when healthy) are good players. Those are loses. The rest are players that Iowa could probably upgrade from.
Problem is, this is no easy task for thee Iowa Hawkeyes. When we lose depth, we suffer tremendously. Example: DeJean hurt - Insert Jameson Heinz? Yikes.

Unless there have been quiet commitments in the last couple days that we'll soon hear about, i'm extremely worried about our WRs (per usual) and CBs.

I think the average is around 10-12 per team
That’s definitely high based on the national list out there today that probably has scooped up 95+% of those in the portal. I know Maryland had 12 which was about the highest for the Big 10 then Michigan had only 3.

Teams like alabama (top tier) are going to get hurt a bunch of 4 and 5 star players riding the pine hit the portal.

Reactions: frydaze
Teams like alabama (top tier) are going to get hurt a bunch of 4 and 5 star players riding the pine hit the portal.
They will typically get hurt more than anyone else. Just look at the blue bloods who usually finish year after year towards the very top of the recruit rankings tree. They’ll always be most hurt for the very reason you mentioned.

Reactions: cmhawks99
They will typically get hurt more than anyone else. Just look at the blue bloods who usually finish year after year towards the very top of the recruit rankings tree. They’ll always be most hurt for the very reason you mentioned.
Hit is a better word than hurt............unless you think Alabama is gonna suffer the most as far as in-season success because of offseason departures.

Some stats from April of this year:

Overall success rate for transfers​

When taking the total number of college transfers into consideration, only around five in 10 players are actually finding a new school to play for.

• 54% reported enrolling at a new school
  • 41% have not found a new school, are still looking, transferred to a non-NCAA school, or left their sport completely
  • 59% of scholarship transfers found a scholarship at a new FBS school
  • 8% left their scholarships and became walk-ons at a new school
  • 33% of players remain without a destination
  • 18% of walk-ons that transferred found a scholarship at a new school
  • About one-third of FCS transfers land a scholarship at a new school
  • 36% of FCS transfers find a new school to sign with at all

Reactions: nu2u
Why do you think Iowa is immune to this? It's happening to everyone.
I doubt anyone thought Iowa is is immune.....we lost Charlie Jones last year. The bigger issue is Iowa seems to be losing more than the big boys. Are Michigan or OSU losing starters to portal?

If MIchigan or OSU loses a 4-star washout, it just frees up them scholarships to recruit 4-star replacements or steal a good starter from a less advantaged program.

If Iowa loses a few starters caliber players, Iowa has to go out and offer a bunch of 3-star development players with poorer chance of making it and wait a couple years for them to develop. Or steal someone from the MAC or directional school.

I would say Roberts, Jestin Jacob and keegan Johnson were starting material and are big losses. Volk, Arland Bruce, Gavin Williams, Brace, Padilla...not big losses. Good news is we have plenty of scholarships, so can give one to the Freshman Place Kicker.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT