ADVERTISEMENT

Portal losses

I doubt anyone thought Iowa is is immune.....we lost Charlie Jones last year. The bigger issue is Iowa seems to be losing more than the big boys. Are Michigan or OSU losing starters to portal?

If MIchigan or OSU loses a 4-star washout, it just frees up them scholarships to recruit 4-star replacements or steal a good starter from a less advantaged program.

If Iowa loses a few starters caliber players, Iowa has to go out and offer a bunch of 3-star development players with poorer chance of making it and wait a couple years for them to develop. Or steal someone from the MAC or directional school.

I would say Roberts, Jestin Jacob and keegan Johnson were starting material and are big losses. Volk, Arland Bruce, Gavin Williams, Brace, Padilla...not big losses. Good news is we have plenty of scholarships, so can give one to the Freshman Place Kicker.
Yes.
Certainly a potential loss of depth issue for the likes of tosu and bama.
But the loss of a starter caliber player at Iowa can hurt more as the quality fall off is likely greater to the back ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: frydaze
Recruiting is so easy for some of the blue bloods that benchwarmers are starters most anywhere else and their the ones hitting the portal I suspect.

Recruiting is so easy for some of the blue bloods that benchwarmers are starters most anywhere else and their the ones hitting the portal I suspect.

I agree. And this is where the portal hurts schools like Alabama. They still don’t want those bench players going anywhere else and making other teams they might play better.

Coaching ability is going to become more important in college football. I think it’s going to get to a point where a lot of teams aren’t just going to be able to out athlete other teams.

Top programs have always had transfers every year. Look at the SEC teams over the years. Limit of 85 schollys. But every year, they had 30 plus HS players sign LOI. That math never worked unless there were 8-10 transfers or medicals. Now every school has those transfers.
There are only so many full rides.
130 FBS programs 85 scholly limit per team (11,050)
123 FCS programs 63 scholly limit per team (7,749)
The only opportunity for many of these young men to get college degrees was only through football scholarships. The business of college football has sucked many of these kids in. And not in a good way. Not everyone get NIL $$$. The college degree with "no debt" is worth more than most D-1 roster football players get in NIL cash.
And only 1.6% of D-1 players make it to NFL. These young men are missing the Big Picture here. I am not against them taking the money or looking for the money where possible. But they are missing the value of getting a degree, playing football at the highest level they can and getting some NIL cash if it is there. The college degree and the alumi connections for future employment should never be over looked.
Iowa has 89% graduation rate for football players and it would higher if they took the guys that leave for NFL early out of equation.

The original portal

cMD4a4.gif

Yeah, I had never heard of Kumm before either. But I saw a tweet and a post about him, so I put him on the list. But I suppose it's never been unusual for unknown walkons to quietly disappear in the past, so I have no problems removing him from the portal scoreboard. We'll call it 7 portal losses at the moment.

i hate it when they Kumm and go

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT