ADVERTISEMENT

Portal needs for 2023

obfuscating

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2016
Iowa HAS to go to the portal for some WR. We have exactly, zero WRs committed...

QB, with none of our backups that will be here next here, getting ANY reps we need to look for a vet to come in and give 1 good year.

RB we r stacked, OL should be solid with who we have coming in.

Not worried about the D to any great extent.

Iowa has a WR commit that is listed as an athlete. Looks like there is a fair chance they are going to get a couple more WR commits, but I agree, they could go to the portal for another WR or two. Especially if they lose any to the portal?

I do think they could probably use an OL in the portal. Maybe the next months will change my mind?

Iowa HAS to go to the portal for some WR. We have exactly, zero WRs committed...

QB, with none of our backups that will be here next here, getting ANY reps we need to look for a vet to come in and give 1 good year.

I'll just say this about "the portal". People seem to think we haven't been trying to bring players in. That simple isn't factual. We have struggled to land many, no doubt. You also have to remember that its a free agent market, and the really good players have a lot of choices. We decide we need a STUD OL tackle for next year. Believe me, a good one will have 50 offers. Even then you bring the guy in it may not work out. We landed Coy Cronk from Indiana to solidify a tackle spot. He was a three year starter at Indiana and was well thought of as an NFL prospect. Kid gets hurt and never plays any significant time for us. Just bad luck. I'm not against working the portal at all, I'm just saying It's not nearly as easy as just putting out a shopping list of what you want, and thinking your going to get all your needs filled. Pretty much everybody is looking for help as well, and mostly in the same key areas....

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
False, Mota is an ATH, here are links to recruiting sites that all list him (including Iowa) as an ATH (Athlete).

He spent time with the dback group at his visit.
He and the coaches have said he was recruited as a WR. I guess you know more than them?

False, Mota is an ATH, here are links to recruiting sites that all list him (including Iowa) as an ATH (Athlete).

He spent time with the dback group at his visit.
“(Iowa) did recruit me on the defensive side, but I told them I wanted to play offense,” Mota said. “When Iowa said I could play receiver there, I knew I was gonna go to Iowa.”

How much are the Iowa NILs offering?

How big was the check you wrote to help with NIL? My guess is zero.

I'd like a portal QB. Probably a field stretching WR too, I'd be open to searching the JUCO's for a guy like that. Not overly concerned about a portal OL. We'll return every starter, and expecting a large amount of improvement there.

Defensively I'd be open to a corner for depth at that spot. Not worried anywhere else now that we have Terio at DT, and Higgins has come along nicely at LB.

Maybe it was directed at me for asking how much NIL money is being promised to players? I don't give to NIL, but how much anyone one person gives or doesn't give, doesn't change that some schools are promising 10's of thousands of dollars every year and Iowa is competing against those schools for players.

Does anyone know what the Iowa NIL payout amounts?

For instance, SMU Boulevard collective announced 36k a year for every football and basketball player.

I doubt they are going to bring in OL unless there is just an absolute no-brainer stud they can pick-up being that they have so many young guys that are already playing and getting reps/better and what they have coming in.

Someone mentioned TE but I don't see it - Lachey will be ready to step-up into the starring role, they obviously are high on Ostrenga and he can be eased into Lachey's current role, and they have Stillianos who has experience and will have opportunity to move into that 3rd TE. And that doesn't include 2 other Freshman TE getting acclimated this year.

I imagine they will look at a QB, WR, and maybe LB (which will be dependent on how they feel about the young guys like Montgomery, Sullivan, Harrell, Sharar, and Twedt).

Maybe it was directed at me for asking how much NIL money is being promised to players? I don't give to NIL, but how much anyone one person gives or doesn't give, doesn't change that some schools are promising 10's of thousands of dollars every year and Iowa is competing against those schools for players.

Does anyone know what the Iowa NIL payout amounts?

For instance, SMU Boulevard collective announced 36k a year for every football and basketball player.
I haven't seen anything publicly, but I believe A&M was in the hundreds of thousands for each player in their last 2 recruiting classes. And Ryan Day was on the record at a OSU booster function saying that Buckeyes would need $13M annually to "keep the roster intact." If that is divided evenly, it's a bit over $150k for each scholarship player. I have no idea how it's distributed at OSU.

On the basketball side, I've heard rumblings at many major programs that the going rate for most any player coming in is $100k minimum, per year. And the blue bloods the figures go way higher than that. If you are surprised at why guys that Fran is in on, and Iowa represents a great chance at PT and a good roster, and then that guy chooses Mississippi State or some other outpost, that is why. Not always why, but the best players expect to get guaranteed NIL money. Period. Not that they are sharing with the women's team, but to them.

I get that there is some sorting that needs to take place as NIL rules are figured out. But at some point, Iowa will have to come off its perch of sanctimony and do what is legal, even if the powers that be are not that enamored with it.

Reactions: Mccusk34
Depends on if the staff believes KJ (the WR) is coming back and will play next year. If so the group of KJ, Vines, Brecht, and Bruce is a nice core to build around with Bostick, Wetjen, Wick and Mota growing and building depth. But losing Laporta is gonna be tough and will impact the WR group imo.

If KJ is gone, they absolutely need to bring in a WR that can not only contribute immediately but can be a consistent threat.

Proctor coming and should start. I know he is coming in January. The Lauck kid who is a big OT (4 star) coming in will see how ready for prime time he is right away. Has the size.

Proctor coming and should start. I know he is coming in January. The Lauck kid who is a big OT (4 star) coming in will see how ready for prime time he is right away. Has the size.
Counting on two true freshmen to be anchors on your OL is not the way Iowa should go into next season. They need at least 1 transfer to come in.

On an entire side note, Arlen Harris Jr is in the portal from St. Louis at RB, had an offer from Iowa. I wonder if they are going after him.

Reactions: littlez
Counting on two true freshmen to be anchors on your OL is not the way Iowa should go into next season. They need at least 1 transfer to come in.

On an entire side note, Arlen Harris Jr is in the portal from St. Louis at RB, had an offer from Iowa. I wonder if they are going after him.
We should have our injured guys back also. If we get a guy to come in, he ain't gonna be some All American coming in.

We don't need a RB.

We should have our injured guys back also. If we get a guy to come in, he ain't gonna be some All American coming in.

We don't need a RB.
Our injured returners, unless you are talking about Davidkov, aren't going to be a starting OT. We don't need an All American just someone that is serviceable.
With regards to the RB position, depth is never a bad thing, and I'll let the coaches decide what we need and what we don't.

I know this was pre-NIL but didn't we get a 5th year guy from IU on the offensive line a few years ago? While Mota shows being a WR, we are dangerously thin again at WR. IF Johnson comes back, and I see that as a big if, that would clearly be huge for us. That would leave him, Vines and Bruce as our starters. However, behind them we have nobody who has contributed. And we are counting on true freshmen to step in. Of course getting a receiver in the portal will not be easy with the offense we had this year. And we will be breaking in a new QB.

ADVERTISEMENT