ADVERTISEMENT

Portal targets

I see Jordan Mosley from NW in portal, 3 star WR who didn't play much at all however had Oregon and PSU offers out of high school.

True but you will be hard pressed to find worse QBs at those schools than Iowa has right now in Petras and Padilla but on the other hand their offenses are probably more QB friendly.
IMO, only one of our QBs has proven to qualify as "worse". But the key as you suggest, is that our offense is among the very least QB friendly offenses in the country and that makes evaluation more difficult. That's why I think the jury is still out on our other QB.

Interesting offer. Stanford had a terrible offensive line so hard to tell how good Peat is but have to wonder if he is any better than the Williams bro's? Pac 12 defenses were also terrible this year. That 87 yd run against USC was terrible defense. Iowa needs a RB that can slug it out between the tackles. Last thing the offense needs is more stretch run plays to a finesse RB. Those were drive killers all year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Wow. Alot of musical chairs with a bunch of folks with No where to sit..... o_O
FirstAncientAfricanfisheagle-size_restricted.gif

Interesting offer. Stanford had a terrible offensive line so hard to tell how good Peat is but have to wonder if he is any better than the Williams bro's? Pac 12 defenses were also terrible this year. That 87 yd run against USC was terrible defense. Iowa needs a RB that can slug it out between the tackles. Last thing the offense needs is more stretch run plays to a finesse RB. Those were drive killers all year.
He seems to be a good fit for a zone scheme.

His long TD run against USC was literally the exact same outside zone play, even down to the personnel and formation, that Goodson ran for a big gainer against Nebby.

He seems to be a good fit for a zone scheme.

His long TD run against USC was literally the exact same outside zone play, even down to the personnel and formation, that Goodson ran for a big gainer against Nebby.
The only bad part is a majority of those stretch runs went for negative 5 yds to 1 yd gains this past year. It was one of the least productive plays on a very unproductive offense. I know we all expect the OL to be better next year but I doubt they take a big step especially if they lose Linderbaum. We already lost Schott. Those two were our most productive run blockers. If Iowa faces similar issues blocking next year they would be better served with a bigger back that takes shorter handoffs and hits a single to two gap hole.

For Peat he faced similar issues at Stanford where for most of his runs he was bottled up but he did break a couple long runs which helped get his avg back up to 5.1. The defense in the Pac 12 is nothing compared to the B1G. Iowa needs to get to 3rd and short as we saw this last season the offense doesn't do so well when its 3rd and 6 or longer.

The only bad part is a majority of those stretch runs went for negative 5 yds to 1 yd gains this past year. It was one of the least productive plays on a very unproductive offense. I know we all expect the OL to be better next year but I doubt they take a big step especially if they lose Linderbaum. We already lost Schott. Those two were our most productive run blockers. If Iowa faces similar issues blocking next year they would be better served with a bigger back that takes shorter handoffs and hits a single to two gap hole.

For Peat he faced similar issues at Stanford where for most of his runs he was bottled up but he did break a couple long runs which helped get his avg back up to 5.1. The defense in the Pac 12 is nothing compared to the B1G. Iowa needs to get to 3rd and short as we saw this last season the offense doesn't do so well when its 3rd and 6 or longer.
Third and short against Kentucky was ugly and that is being kind.

I really wish Iowa would go after a 6'4 or 6'5 WR who can go up and high point 50-50 balls. They don't have any one, future, current or otherwise who is remotely close to a player with that capability.
Not proven, but Brecht might be that guy.

I agree they should like for a guy in the portal. I disagree there isn’t a guy remotely close to those capabilities on campus. In fact, that is who Brecht is. Remains to be seen if he can do it in the B1G?

I really wish Iowa would go after a 6'4 or 6'5 WR who can go up and high point 50-50 balls. They don't have any one, future, current or otherwise who is remotely close to a player with that capability.
There are a TON of talented WRs currently in portal 6'1 and taller, wish we would take a look at a few.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
Nebraska LB Will Honas in transfer portal, IIRC we offered out of JUCO, not sure we would have much PT there this fall anyway.
Fun fact, Honas will be in his 7th year so Jbo no longer the most tenured athlete, we can retire "Grandpa" Settles too...:)

Scoop on the other site says Iowa is going to have an in-home visit with a grad transfer TE. Will try to find out who that is.

Taking a shot on it and saying Steven Stilianos out of lafeyette. Has offers from Virginia and Pitt to name a few.
yeah that is who it is. Seems they want to get some depth there with really only 3 scholarship guys left and two developmental TEs coming in as Freshman

Reactions: BigOHawk
ADVERTISEMENT