ADVERTISEMENT

Portal targets

Without scrolling through all the comments in search of my answer:

Somebody please tell me our staff has contacted some of the portal QBs!

?

Sad thing is, besides maybe OT, QB was by far our weakest position and we aren’t looking at the portal with all the QBs in it. Even with both guys coming back we should be but this is a case of KF’s loyalty being a detriment to the team.
just a purely antiquated though process. Not using the portal right now is ridiculous. There have been plenty of options for Iowa to go after, hell at least feign interest in. Jaxson Dart and Michael Trigg appear to be a package for either Oklahoma or Ole miss. That would have been one hell of a snag for Iowa.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Sad thing is, besides maybe OT, QB was by far our weakest position and we aren’t looking at the portal with all the QBs in it. Even with both guys coming back we should be but this is a case of KF’s loyalty being a detriment to the team.
Unfortunate, but not surprising.

The amount of time which seems to be required by this staff to learn the complicated offense means that even if a qb was brought in he wouldn't be seeing the field until next season. Most transfers come in with an implicit understanding they'll be getting PT right away. Hard to see how there would be any interest on either end for a qb transfer.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
just a purely antiquated though process. Not using the portal right now is ridiculous. There have been plenty of options for Iowa to go after, hell at least feign interest in. Jaxson Dart and Michael Trigg appear to be a package for either Oklahoma or Ole miss. That would have been one hell of a snag for Iowa.
Unless there’s NIL involved, we have no chance.

Any idea who the competition is for Stillianos?

edit: Just scrolled through his Twitter. Pitt, Virginia, Rutgers, Syracuse, etc.
I remember seeing Rutgers, Virginia, Syracuse and a couple smaller schools. I would imagine they get him in for a visit next week. He said he will make a decision by the end of January.

Yeah, if location isn’t a huge deal, Iowa should have a great shot.
Got this quote from one of the Rivals articles which seems good for Iowa.

“Honestly the biggest thing is who’s gonna prepare me for the next level, and where I can fit within a scheme. Someone that’s gonna utilize the tight end position, and somewhere where I can get in and make an impact,” he explained. “Whoever has the best combination for me is where I’m going to end up.”

Got this quote from one of the Rivals articles which seems good for Iowa.

“Honestly the biggest thing is who’s gonna prepare me for the next level, and where I can fit within a scheme. Someone that’s gonna utilize the tight end position, and somewhere where I can get in and make an impact,” he explained. “Whoever has the best combination for me is where I’m going to end up.”
Well, if he is honest about saying honestly, he should probably commit to Iowa yesterday.

Reactions: David1979
Bock tweeted: "Iowa a big factor and are expected to visit him later this week." Always shaky about posting tweets basically from TOS.
If it’s a tweet, I can’t imagine there is any issue.

Thanks for the info.

Hunter Nourzad committed to PSU today. Don't understand people wanting to play for Franklin. They haven't exactly been known for the OL lately either.
Ugh, thought Iowa was a logical landing spot, probably the 'closer to home' got us here + maybe NIL and Franklin promising things he can't keep.

Well that's an unfortunate swing and a miss on Nourzad. It's the area of biggest need that KF was willing to go after a player who looked to have solid potential.

Wonder if the staff have any other significant options. Maybe they'll take this as the opportunity to say "see, we tried" at leave it at that.

For the gambling degenerates out there...

Baily Zappe

QB from Western Kentucky. Likely transferring after the season. He will set the single season TD record this year if he throws 3 more TD's in their bowl game. Him and the WK offense are so fun to watch.

I'm sure he would love to come and play in our up tempo offense! A man can dream.

Great reference here (see above) ...

ADVERTISEMENT