ADVERTISEMENT

Portillo brothers?

CatCoach

HR All-State
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Just saw where they r leaving SDS and wanting to come back to the state of Iowa. R the Hawks interested?

Just saw where they r leaving SDS and wanting to come back to the state of Iowa. R the Hawks interested?
Imagine they could walk- on but don't see them getting $. Iowa would be the only D1 team in state they could transfer to.They were released to any non big 12 school.

Seems as though they would be a fit at ICCC, Grandview, Wartburg type. Maybe I'm shooting to low for them. They wrestled for Kurt Morgan in Clarion (Kurt's dad was my coach). So, I followed them a little bit in HS from afar and they were good, just didn't seem D1 material to me. Anyone who saw them up close think differently?

Reactions: OneRoughneck
And Flo shows Josh as the starter at 125 tonight against MN. Where did you see the news?

Seems as though they would be a fit at ICCC, Grandview, Wartburg type. Maybe I'm shooting to low for them. They wrestled for Kurt Morgan in Clarion (Kurt's dad was my coach). So, I followed them a little bit in HS from afar and they were good, just didn't seem D1 material to me. Anyone who saw them up close think differently?
I agree. I have always seen them as Grandview kids or good d3 schools. I personally don't think they are D1 material but could be really solid room guys

Reactions: DirkTang1
Either one of these guys a realistic option at 25/33 for Iowa?

No. Or, at least, they shouldn't be.

I saw one of them posted something on twitter about a big change coming up or something like that. I followed them when they were recruited to my old high school.

Don't tell this to the local C-G idiot on the Predicament boards. He's adamant everything is on the up and up and wrestlers just magically appear there, even from out of state.

would love to see them head to Decorah...Luther has a very young team as it is but tired of seeing all the D1 transfers go to Wartburg...

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I was also under the impression that they are gone and will wrestle somewhere else 2nd semester. We will see.

No. Or, at least, they shouldn't be.

Don't tell this to the local C-G idiot on the Predicament boards. He's adamant everything is on the up and up and wrestlers just magically appear there, even from out of state.

I moved away several years ago, but my cousin told me what happened while we were heading to Iowa City for the Wyoming game. The Portillo family didn't just magically appear.

I think they are legitimate D1 guys. They're every bit as good, if not better, than a lot of guys currently on the team. Not AA level at this point, but still solid guys.

I think one of them would be a great guy/backup to have at 125, or possibly develop into a 33. Not sure what is making anyone think Stickley is head and shoulders better than these guys. If they want to come back to Iowa and they'd consider the Hawks for a minimal scholarship (books or some similar amount) Iowa should try.

Reactions: MVPFAN
Aren’t they wrestling at the same weight. I imagine they split if their choice of school is at the higher end for wrestling competition . If a lower end school they can stick together. I think Justin is the better of the two

Can’t see Iowa coughing any money whatsoever to these two kids

Hearing one has been knocking on Dressers door and wants to go there, but won't get a release. The other to GV. Agree with some above- not D1 level wrestlers.

One of them just lost to the younger Mckee kid who is still in HS at the Daktronic. They don't seem like 133 pounders and I don't see them wanting to knock down our door to get ripped apart by Lee in practice for the next four years.

I don't think people really are saying that. They likely put them on the same level as these guys.
3 people have specifically said that they're not D1 material/not D1 level. If what they meant was that they're not Iowa starter/scholarship level I can go along with that. I think they'd definitely be solid backups/developmental guys in the Iowa room and good enough to start for plenty of D1 programs.

One of them just lost to the younger Mckee kid who is still in HS at the Daktronic. They don't seem like 133 pounders and I don't see them wanting to knock down our door to get ripped apart by Lee in practice for the next four years.
Hey — somebody’s gotta do it!

Reactions: bman546 and el dub
Unless they are walking on I'd take a Strong Pass. There not gonna come to Iowa anyway to be back ups. Next topic.

3 people have specifically said that they're not D1 material/not D1 level. If what they meant was that they're not Iowa starter/scholarship level I can go along with that. I think they'd definitely be solid backups/developmental guys in the Iowa room and good enough to start for plenty of D1 programs.
I am 1 of the 3 people you are referring to. I say "not D1 material" as in they shouldn't be getting money to be a starter for a top shelf or middle of the road D1 team.. If they are willing to walk on or take very little or no money, then yes everyone would be all for that.

Because someone can walk on and be a practice room guy doesn't make them d1 material in my mind. That phrasing is what you use for recruits that should legitimately be considered a threat to make starting lineups.

These guys wouldn't sniff the lineup at Iowa

Didn't everyone but Lizak get beat my McKee at Daktronic?

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I think they’d be at least 50/50 to start for Iowa at 125 on Friday. Definitely would have starts for ISU on Sunday.

Yeah there are circumstances for everything.. Just because someone can fill a hole (because no one else is there)..still doesn't mean they are D1 material..unless of course you keep not understanding what I mean when I say D1 material and what that means in my mind...

Jakob Allison started for ISU on Sunday..doesn't make him D1 material..

Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
recruited to your high school:eek:? That can't be good, can it?

That's what Clarion does. They are from Ohio and shipped them in and gave his Dad a job a i believe. Another family was there last year from like Oregon but left before year started

That's what Clarion does. They are from Ohio and shipped them in and gave his Dad a job a i believe. Another family was there last year from like Oregon but left before year started
I need to start doing that for my boy's HS. Got any 132-138-145 lb guys you can send my way? Even know where some jobs are.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I need to start doing that for my boy's HS. Got any 132-138-145 lb guys you can send my way? Even know where some jobs are.

Sad but true my friend. See it all the time from Southeast Polk. They've been stealing Waukee studs for years. Clarion is 2A and in a remote area but they've managed to do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT