ADVERTISEMENT

Portillo brothers?

bbwretler was also correct about Young. He has put on muscle, but has struggled to put on enough weight. He probably could have made 157 last year. Those bitching about him not being full sized 174 need to ship some of Carls and David Taylors muscle in a bottle to IC or shut the hell up. KY has been doing whatever is best for the team. He will be a lot of fun to watch at 165 on Friday.

bbwretler was also correct about Young. He has put on muscle, but has struggled to put on enough weight. He probably could have made 157 last year. Those bitching about him not being full sized 174 need to ship some of Carls and David Taylors muscle in a bottle to IC or shut the hell up. KY has been doing whatever is best for the team. He will be a lot of fun to watch at 165 on Friday.
Doesn't Iowa have strength and conditioning Coaches? Training tables and nutritionists to call upon? Or are we just going to recruit multiple kids to man the same weight classes for four years running? Maybe Young has some special reason for not being able to put on weight, which would make him an extremely rare individual. It would be one thing if he were the only case, unfortunately he isn't. Good to know we'll have him to back up Kemmerer and Marinelli for the next several years though. Assuming he's only getting book money sounds like a great deal.

So two or three years ago, your buddy from Coe College was head hunting some random guy from PA to come to Coe and be their Vice President of Facilities and Operations. Yeah Ok!!

I believe he came and got a job in IA after Spencer came to IC and Cheif, your story is pretty sweet, but BB is full of shyt half the time.

Give me a couple minutes, I'll find some more of your "facts".

IAChief32 is far more right than wrong. I know this story well and the facts are all verifiable if someone does the research rather than just assuming the worst as so many have done on the Penn State forum, since Spencer Lee committed to Iowa. Why is it so easy to assume the worst or think that there was something sinister or wrong rather than believing that something is good or right. Some of the comments on the PSU forum have been scathing toward Mr. Lee and those comments are entirely wrong. Here are the facts and I know them as facts as I know the family very well. Dr. David McInally was the Senior Vice President at Allegheny College and he hired Mr. Lee from the University of Denver to become the Director of Athletics and Recreation at Allegheny College. Mr. Lee moved to PA to be near his father who had been diagnosed as terminally ill or he might not have ever moved to PA to become his father’s primary caretaker. Mr. Lee’s father passed away a few years after he joined Allegheny and during his tenure at Allegheny he was promoted several times and eventually Dr. McInally promoted him to Vice President and Mr. Lee stayed at Allegheny for 12-years working directly for Dr. David McInally. Dr. McInally accepted the job at Coe College as the President four years ago and yes, he did ask Mr. Lee to join him in Iowa multiple times, because he trusted him, (obviously not a random guy, since they worked together for 12-years), but Mr. Lee did not want to uproot his family while the kids were in high school, but he did tell me it was very hard to say no, because he enjoyed working with and for Dr. McInally. He was also enjoying his new role at Carnegie Mellon University. A job he accepted after Dr. McInally had left for Coe College. He enjoyed his role at Carnegie, but he told me that he did miss the small private college feel of a school like Allegheny College.

I know this for a fact. Mr. Lee nor his wife never mentioned the job offers to his children—not one time. He told me that it was important to him that the kids picked their schools for their own reasons and he didn’t want them and specifically Spencer to know about the potential of the position at Coe. It was after Spencer picked Iowa that the Lee’s came out to visit Iowa City and their daughter visited the University of Iowa and then Coe College as part of her college search during their trip. She had already visited multiple other schools including Penn State. She fell in love with Coe on her visit and told her parents that there was no need to look any further and she had found her school of choice. It was after his daughter also selected Coe as her school of choice that Mr. Lee told his kids about the opportunity at Coe to become the Vice President for Facilities and Operations a role very similar to the role he had at Allegheny College. These are the facts and they are all verifiable.

It is also a fact that Spencer visited Penn State far more times than he did the University of Iowa simply because of proximity and the parents stayed entirely out of the decision. Ask Spencer some time at a Saturday workout if his father helped him with his decision and he will tell you “no, and I was frustrated, because I kept asking him what he thought and he kept saying, it’s your decision, I’m not getting involved.” He stated this fact in an interview on FLO. Rather than make false assumptions or cast negative shadows, if you want to verify any of this information why don’t you call Mr. Lee at Coe College. His number is easy to find on-line or is that not as fun as assuming the worst and making negative aspersions behind an anonymous screen name?

I simply grew tired of reading this negative banter over the last 6-months and thought it was time to set the record straight.

IAChief32 is far more right than wrong. I know this story well and the facts are all verifiable if someone does the research rather than just assuming the worst as so many have done on the Penn State forum, since Spencer Lee committed to Iowa. Why is it so easy to assume the worst or think that there was something sinister or wrong rather than believing that something is good or right. Some of the comments on the PSU forum have been scathing toward Mr. Lee and those comments are entirely wrong. Here are the facts and I know them as facts as I know the family very well. Dr. David McInally was the Senior Vice President at Allegheny College and he hired Mr. Lee from the University of Denver to become the Director of Athletics and Recreation at Allegheny College. Mr. Lee moved to PA to be near his father who had been diagnosed as terminally ill or he might not have ever moved to PA to become his father’s primary caretaker. Mr. Lee’s father passed away a few years after he joined Allegheny and during his tenure at Allegheny he was promoted several times and eventually Dr. McInally promoted him to Vice President and Mr. Lee stayed at Allegheny for 12-years working directly for Dr. David McInally. Dr. McInally accepted the job at Coe College as the President four years ago and yes, he did ask Mr. Lee to join him in Iowa multiple times, because he trusted him, (obviously not a random guy, since they worked together for 12-years), but Mr. Lee did not want to uproot his family while the kids were in high school, but he did tell me it was very hard to say no, because he enjoyed working with and for Dr. McInally. He was also enjoying his new role at Carnegie Mellon University. A job he accepted after Dr. McInally had left for Coe College. He enjoyed his role at Carnegie, but he told me that he did miss the small private college feel of a school like Allegheny College.

I know this for a fact. Mr. Lee nor his wife never mentioned the job offers to his children—not one time. He told me that it was important to him that the kids picked their schools for their own reasons and he didn’t want them and specifically Spencer to know about the potential of the position at Coe. It was after Spencer picked Iowa that the Lee’s came out to visit Iowa City and their daughter visited the University of Iowa and then Coe College as part of her college search during their trip. She had already visited multiple other schools including Penn State. She fell in love with Coe on her visit and told her parents that there was no need to look any further and she had found her school of choice. It was after his daughter also selected Coe as her school of choice that Mr. Lee told his kids about the opportunity at Coe to become the Vice President for Facilities and Operations a role very similar to the role he had at Allegheny College. These are the facts and they are all verifiable.

It is also a fact that Spencer visited Penn State far more times than he did the University of Iowa simply because of proximity and the parents stayed entirely out of the decision. Ask Spencer some time at a Saturday workout if his father helped him with his decision and he will tell you “no, and I was frustrated, because I kept asking him what he thought and he kept saying, it’s your decision, I’m not getting involved.” He stated this fact in an interview on FLO. Rather than make false assumptions or cast negative shadows, if you want to verify any of this information why don’t you call Mr. Lee at Coe College. His number is easy to find on-line or is that not as fun as assuming the worst and making negative aspersions behind an anonymous screen name?

I simply grew tired of reading this negative banter over the last 6-months and thought it was time to set the record straight.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I don't read the PSU forum, and given the garbage posted on themat forums by PSU fans, I can imagine some of it is toxic. I've come to see PSU fans in a very negative light.

I realize this isn't fair, and the majority of PSU fans are probably decent folks, and probably not posting. Sat next to a PSU fan at one ncaa tournament, a very decent fellow.

But the active posters on themat, and a few trolls who come over here... rather loathsome characters. Don't care for Cael either, given what happened at ISU.

Thanks for clarifying although it never needed an explanation to Iowa fans. We are happy to have the Lees as they have become a big time asset to our program. As for Mr. Lee...he is likeable, approachable and likes to talk wrestling like any of us.

Me either, but Portillo is not that kid. He is a 3x state champ who was nationally ranked and recruited to multiple D1 schools and eventually signed a letter of intent and had a scholarship at one. The. He has a solid record as a true fresh and wins 2 open tournaments. Sure he’s not an AA contender right now but there are 69 D1 guys who won’t AA at each weight. Certainly more than 10-20 guys at ach weight are “D1 material”.
Okay, he's D1 material. I hope TnT gives him some money and he becomes a starter in the lineup.

Anybody who can’t understand how a well qualified individual was able to get a job in a targeted location, has never been well qualified themselves. The amount of idiots in this world is amazing.

And it's even more dumb that someone actually thinks Coe college hired him to a high level position to get his son to wrestle at the U of I. That's other world stupidity.

The twins are decent D1 talent but haven't shown to be at the level Iowa ,ISU or UNI is looking for. Now, considering who Iowa and ISU has at 125 this year, the twins could probably help them. I do believe SDSU has a talented true freshman at 125 who just may be beating the twins. I imagine this has something to do with them wanting to transfer. Personally, I believe they are better suited for NAIA, DII or DIII. I am sure they will land somewhere. Best of luck to them!

SDSU has Connor Brown a top 50ish overall recruit from Missouri. He looked good, in a losing effort, against Lizak and MN's backup Petry.

Reactions: Jaybird319
I only seen Brown wrestles once and it was at NOC 2. On that night he was the most electrifying participant, similar to Thomsen the year before.

He was hitting all kinds of transitions against Aden Reeves . Caveat, he looked a lot heavy the Aden.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT