ADVERTISEMENT

"Positionless" Basketball and the Hawkeyes....some thoughts.

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Obviously I am not an expert, and in fact something far less when it comes to basketball experience and coaching/building a team.

So, big picture. Quite some time ago, I don't believe it was right when Fran took the job, but at some point he talked about wanting a team make up that allowed them to play "positionless" basketball. I don't think that we are quite there yet, and I don't know if it is completely possible to have a team that is 100% positionless, but here are some thoughts.

I think it's easy to see the 2-3-4 positions manned with guys who are 6' 3" or 4" to guys who are 6' 9" or 10" and really athletic. I think the main trait there is guys who have good lateral quickness along with good ball handling and passing skills. Being able to shoot reasonably well from the outside and being able to get to the rim are important on the offensive end.

The parts of positionless that I struggle with are primarily at the PG and a little bit at the center position.

So, how does our current team look under those needed attributes? I think pretty good....but mostly lacking in the post. I am a pretty positive fan and I don't make critical statements lightly...so, I say this more from the prospective of being analytical/objective know that I could be wrong...that statement is this, at this point I see Rebraca more as a backup at the PF position than I do as the starting post. Could he get where he needs to be to fill that front line position adequately? Maybe. I think FR can run pretty well and could develop enough offensively that he can hit shots often enough that it pulls a defender away from the basket.....but, he doesn't appear to have the length or leaping ability to effectively defend big guys in the post.

PG....I think we have the type/size of PG coming in next year that can fit the team of "positionless" players that we need. Bowen looks fairly long and appears to be an athletic 6' 3" PG....then with Tony and a fully recovered Josh Dix at the 2G I think we are really getting close to what my guess is Fran's vision of this concept...

Sorry for the rambling and I think this concept of "positionless" is a very general description that allows for variations....

I will end with this. I think Fran has tried to recruit to this type of team for some time...and we had that class with Moss and Maishee D that was an effort for this type of transition, but that class fell apart. When you look at the 2023 commit and the other players we are reportedly pursuing I think (my guess) is that this is the type of team Fran continues to want to be the program identity. I think that in recruiting, you sometimes just take the best player available when your chances at the "positionless" guys start to diminish.

Other opinions welcome.

Throw a 6'3" Ulis in there as well, along with Sandfort. Both have the ability to handle the ball well, guard bigger opponents, and rebound. Give each an off-season to get stronger and they'll fill out the rotation.

Throw a 6'3" Ulis in there as well, along with Sandfort. Both have the ability to handle the ball well, guard bigger opponents, and rebound. Give each an off-season to get stronger and they'll fill out the rotation.
Agreed...there could be a whole different conversation about how this team could look next year in just that context. Both guys you mentioned have a place on that type of team.

Reactions: BBHawk
The Murrays are a perfect example of this. With their athleticism they can guard 2-5 (although they will struggle somewhat with 7' physical specimens). They are a big mismatch on the offensive end because they are too big/long for guards and too quick and skilled for bigs. Sandfort fits the mold as well. Patrick should fit that mold with his offensive skills but I don't know that he has the lateral quickness and physicality of the others.

The Murrays are a perfect example of this. With their athleticism they can guard 2-5 (although they will struggle somewhat with 7' physical specimens). They are a big mismatch on the offensive end because they are too big/long for guards and too quick and skilled for bigs. Sandfort fits the mold as well. Patrick should fit that mold with his offensive skills but I don't know that he has the lateral quickness and physicality of the others.
7 foot specimens will also struggle with them.
I would guess Kris brings Kofi outside more than a few times Sunday night.

ADVERTISEMENT