ADVERTISEMENT

Post bowl game quote by KF says it all . . .

LIV4GOD

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2020
. . . about his coaching philosophy.

“I’m not the smartest guy in the world,” Ferentz said. “One thing I’ve learned: If they can’t score, then you got a shot that you’re not going to lose. I know that. So if we could’ve written the script, it was perfect. Just really happy.”​
It's not: "If we can score, then we got a shot at winning." It's not geared towards scoring and winning, but not losing by giving up too many points.

And it's not that it was described as something merely good, and makes him content, but this script is described as "perfect" and not losing that way makes him "very happy."

I'm not even really knocking it. It just shows his super risk averse philosophy of doing whatever it takes to not lose, versus doing what it takes to win.

It's the Ferentz Fear Factor at its finest.

“I’m not the smartest guy in the world,” Ferentz said. “One thing I’ve learned: If they can’t score, then you got a shot that you’re not going to lose. I know that. So if we could’ve written the script, it was perfect. Just really happy.”​
It's not: "If we can score, then we got a shot at winning." It's not geared towards scoring and winning, but not losing by giving up too many points.

And it's not that it was described as something merely good, and makes him content, but this script is described as "perfect" and not losing that way makes him "very happy."

I'm not even really knocking it. It just shows his super risk averse philosophy of doing whatever it takes to not lose, versus doing what it takes to win.

I'd say that philosophy has worked pretty well for him over the years.

My apologies if this is asking for too much, but If we would have had just an average offense, Iowa would have finished at least 10-2 in the regular season and would have played in the B1G Championship game. Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred that over 7-5. ;)

Know your identity and use it in every way to your advantage. The conservative offense is 100% complementary to how the Iowa identity under Ferentz is built. If we get into a track meet, we are going to lose against teams that frankly do have superior playmakers. But make the game about execution, intelligence, and toughness, and we are now playing on our strengths as a program/identity. The more we frustrate opponents with our style, the more likely they’ll start to press and make a mistake.

When you dabble in things - without committing - rarely do you have a good outcome. I think Ferentz sticking to the established identity is completely fine. Having an offensive philosophy that aligns is completely OK by me.

I’m not defending the offensive output this year. It was poor - understatement - but I believe it was more because of personnel than anything else (QB and OL). But I am defending the philosophy. It won’t always work, but damn it often does - and precisely because we are so committed to it.

I sincerely doubt KF wants a poor offense. But he does want an offense that is successful based on what will tilt the overall game flow out way.

defense will always be first under KF

yep, a strong defense is very important to KF, and rightfully so.

but, when it comes to an offense with at least a pulse?

why-not-both-why-not.gif

And how many more wins were left on the table? The lack of even a below average offense is directly responsible for 2 losses this season alone.

Look.....I have nothing against having a great defense. But having a good offense or defense are not mutually exclusive. It is absolutely inexcusable for Iowa to have an offense ranked 130 out of 131. That is not a philosophy, that is a failure.

And how many more wins were left on the table? The lack of even a below average offense is directly responsible for 2 losses this season alone.

Look.....I have nothing against having a great defense. But having a good offense or defense are not mutually exclusive. It is absolutely inexcusable for Iowa to have an offense ranked 130 out of 131. That is not a philosophy, that is a failure.
This is what many apparently don’t care about. Why? Low expectations.

I'm pretty content with 71-30 the past eight seasons (2020 shortened COVID year). More wins would have been awesome but 71-30 is nothing to thumb your nose at. If we are being perfectly honest, after the 2014 debacle, every single one of us would have jumped at the prospect of 71 future wins.

If only he'd added, "and I know our defense can score, so we just need our offense to hold onto the ball until we can punt and start all over." That's really how it works for us, isn't it?

Reactions: grayhair81
Everyone has to keep in mind that there is a massive difference between being a development program that has a good/great/special season once out of every 4 or 5 years and a having a program that is good/great/special every year. Kirk achieved the development status pretty early on and that is a reflection of great coaching by him and his entire staff. While it is still that way to a certain degree, there is an obvious push the program to be good/great every year. Very hard to do. The last couple of years they have been hampered by poor recruiting, poor development, injuries, NFL defections, etc. on offense especially and they have still managed to win 10 and 8 games. It is part of the growing pains, but also shows how hard it is and why there are not many programs that can do it.

I don’t see how a coach of a team that had zero third down conversions was “very happy” about anything. Yeah, a win is great, but a coach so devoted to statistics should be at least bothered by 0-12 on 3rd down.

My apologies if this is asking for too much, but If we would have had just an average offense, Iowa would have finished at least 10-2 in the regular season and would have played in the B1G Championship game. Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred that over 7-5. ;)
An average offense and they probably beat Michigan at home.

Reactions: Franisdaman

I agree with Ferentz, not you

Fans should know by now not to read too much into a Kirk Ferentz quote.

would I love to see Iowa offense ripping off 35 or 40 points a game? you bet I would. But it's not reality in 2022. Maybe 2023 or 2024 I don't know.

I thought it was a humble quote and a perfect game as a shutout is fine. But he has obviously recognized our offensive struggles with attacking the portal and getting some great offensive players. Talking about opening up the playbook and being more explosive. Maybe we just fixed a lot of our offensive struggles over the last 2 years. For me anything short of big west championship and a truly competitive team for the big will not meet my expectations. 23 and 24 is an all in situation feel to it.

I thought it was a humble quote and a perfect game as a shutout is fine. But he has obviously recognized our offensive struggles with attacking the portal and getting some great offensive players. Talking about opening up the playbook and being more explosive. Maybe we just fixed a lot of our offensive struggles over the last 2 years. For me anything short of big west championship and a truly competitive team for the big will not meet my expectations. 23 and 24 is an all in situation feel to it.
Yeah, well, they might not be “great” wearing an Iowa uniform

As a staff you have to know how to allow your really, really good players to help your team. I don’t believe kirk and co. have a grasp on how to execute that on the offensive side of the ball.

But hey, who gives a shit about offense anyway?

There have been many great defenses in the Ferentz-era, and this year's was the best of the bunch, and we only went 8-5.

Ferentz is clearly a very good coach, and in general an 8-win season is nothing to complain about. However, it is pretty maddening to see him fail to even acknowledge glaring issues with the offense. The offensive production has been an issue for a long time, and it has now reached a catastrophic level. Even if we ignore the last couple years of putrid production, Iowa has not finished in the top 4 in the Big Ten in rushing yards since 2008. The Iowa coaching staff tells everyone that their offensive identity is predicated on running the football, and yet we are only 1 of 4 Big Ten teams that has failed to crack the top 4 in the conference in rushing since 2008 (Rutgers, Purdue, and Michigan State are the others).

I'm actually okay with a conservative offense. We have perhaps the best defensive coordinator in the country, and we don't need a high-tempo spread offense. But the run game has been an issue for well over 10 years now, and they have not changed anything to address it.

For all the great things Ferentz does/has done, he is way too reluctant to make changes. Like everything, there's a balance to be struck. Some coaches are way too quick to make changes just for the sake of making a change. But no head coach in the country would simply accept the results of a historically bad offense without making changes to the coaching staff. No other coach would have sat back and watched Petras play horrible football for 3 years without seeing what we might get from another QB. Ferentz is a far outlier in unwillingness to change, and that is extremely frustrating to watch when it is so clear that change is sorely needed.

This explains the ‘09 game at the Shoe with the outright Big Ten Title on the line. He needs to score to win and he’s on the sideline figuring out how not to lose.

I think, in retrospect, he knows that was one he screwed up. Look at him this year, with the crap offense we have, calling t.o with a minute to play trying to get the ball back before half vs Wisconsin. It came back to bite him as they got a long TD pass.

Watching some of the ridiculous, Playstation Hero calls I see some of these younger college and NFL coaches make have taught me that conservative play calling has a place in this game.

It's OK to punt. It's OK to rely on a good defense at times. Just win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT