ADVERTISEMENT

Post bowl game quote by KF says it all . . .

You don’t think we should wait to applaud them to see if they improve their team over the next two or three years?
No.

For those that fired the O coordinator after apparently having a bottom 15 offense, it doesn’t get much worse (obviously) - Applaud them now for not allowing those staff members to continue in their role any longer.

They deserve a lot of credit for recognizing the problem and making an attempt to fix it.

Again…Applaud them now, regardless of how the next coordinator performs.

Long story short, fire Brian now regardless of not knowing what the future holds.

You don’t think we should wait to applaud them to see if they improve their team over the next two or three years?
So based on your logic, no one should ever get fired because they should always get two or three more years. Seems reasonable. 😊

No.

For those that fired the O coordinator after apparently having a bottom 15 offense, it doesn’t get much worse (obviously) - Applaud them now for not allowing those staff members to continue in their role any longer.

They deserve a lot of credit for recognizing the problem and making an attempt to fix it.

Again…Applaud them now, regardless of how the next coordinator performs.

Long story short, fire Brian now regardless of not knowing what the future holds.

We don’t have to have the Brian discussion…

I’m not sure if you’re actually ignorant enough to believe I don’t think the offense is piss poor but I’ve said it no less than 20 times… And if you still Harbor that thought process, then let’s make a deal to not ever talk again, because that literally makes you ignorant and stupid…

With that said Nebraska is an example of a program you’re talking about, one that recognizes they need to fire somebody and they keep doing it and keep doing it and keep doing it and now here they are…

Not smart, but it is the trend from professional on down!

Reactions: Bishop1971
Because Riley and his teams famously lack toughness and discipline, and he clearly doesn't give a shit about defense.

. . . about his coaching philosophy.

“I’m not the smartest guy in the world,” Ferentz said. “One thing I’ve learned: If they can’t score, then you got a shot that you’re not going to lose. I know that. So if we could’ve written the script, it was perfect. Just really happy.”​
It's not: "If we can score, then we got a shot at winning." It's not geared towards scoring and winning, but not losing by giving up too many points.

And it's not that it was described as something merely good, and makes him content, but this script is described as "perfect" and not losing that way makes him "very happy."

I'm not even really knocking it. It just shows his super risk averse philosophy of doing whatever it takes to not lose, versus doing what it takes to win.

It's the Ferentz Fear Factor at its finest.
At least he didn't mention how well the oline performed, did he?

Reactions: cmhawks99
So based on your logic, no one should ever get fired because they should always get two or three more years. Seems reasonable. 😊

I’d like to take a moment to really break down your comprehension skills & my posting ability… Pull up the post where you got the feeling that is what I said.

I feel like we should start there because until we fix that it’s gonna be hard for us to communicate!

While are you doing that? I think we should talk about teams that continually fire guys after 2,3, 4 years and 20 years later still suck… But we’re not gonna address that until you pull up the post where I said we should continue to wait.

We don’t have to have the Brian discussion…

I’m not sure if you’re actually ignorant enough to believe I don’t think the offense is piss poor but I’ve said it no less than 20 times… And if you still Harbor that thought process, then let’s make a deal to not ever talk again, because that literally makes you ignorant and stupid…

With that said Nebraska is an example of a program you’re talking about, one that recognizes they need to fire somebody and they keep doing it and keep doing it and keep doing it and now here they are…

Not smart, but it is the trend from professional on down!
They probably shouldn’t have fired their head coach that was providing 9-win seasons. It backfired, but, I DO credit their program for wanting more and having bigger aspirations.

Back to answering your question - applaud those schools NOW for their recognition and openness to change.

They probably shouldn’t have fired their head coach that was providing 9-win seasons. It backfired, but, I DO credit their program for wanting more and having bigger aspirations.

Back to answering your question - applaud those schools NOW for their recognition and openness to change.

Well, to be fair, and I mean this, with all love intended, that is your life philosophy, change is good… And everybody always hears how us “old men“ don’t like change, but that’s not fair. I’ve changed many things in my career, but change becomes the easy answer to everything. It “buys you” time…the hard work is digging in and fixing what was wrong.

Firing Brian Ferentz, although cathartic & needed doesn’t “fix” anything.

Nebraska ****ed it up badly most programs **** it up badly & I stress again, “****ed it up badly”…so change is an easy out!

Now, does that mean I don’t think we need to change our I-coordinator, absolutely not. We needed to change last year and I’m on board with that!

But this is the kind of philosophical thought process that I am talking about when I challenge you guys… You could go through the Annuals of coaching changes and shit turns bad way more often than it turns good in situations like this, meaning head coach of course…

And for those of you that are thinking oh sure 60% of the time it doesn’t work 40% of the time it does… hell no, I will say again hell no and in fact, I’m gonna say one more time he’ll no!!!

Texas hasn’t been relevant since Mac Brown was sent down the road. I don’t remember when that was but it’s been a long time same with USC & Pete Carroll and I could name 50 to 100 programs historically.

. . . about his coaching philosophy.

“I’m not the smartest guy in the world,” Ferentz said. “One thing I’ve learned: If they can’t score, then you got a shot that you’re not going to lose. I know that. So if we could’ve written the script, it was perfect. Just really happy.”​
It's not: "If we can score, then we got a shot at winning." It's not geared towards scoring and winning, but not losing by giving up too many points.

And it's not that it was described as something merely good, and makes him content, but this script is described as "perfect" and not losing that way makes him "very happy."
answering
I'm not even really knocking it. It just shows his super risk averse philosophy of doing whatever it takes to not lose, versus doing what it takes to win.

It's the Ferentz Fear Factor at its fin
Making too much of probably an answer to a media question*.

Reactions: hawkhockey
Not what he or anyone else is saying.

He's saying that they should be carefully considered and definitely shouldn't be done because of the outrage of idiot fans online.
So it should be based on the performance on the field right? Not the last name of the person involved?!?

If BCS poll is the measuring stick, which in 2002, it was. Iowa would have been in a 4 team playoff with a BCS ranking of 3rd on December 8th of that year. The four teams would have been (1) Miami (FL) (2) Ohio State (3) Iowa (4) Georgia. DAMN! Iowa would have played Ohio State that year after all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_rankings

With all due respect, did you even look at the link you provided? It shows right there that Iowa was 5 behind Georgia and USC in the final BCS standing.

Iowa was 3rd in the A.P

• Haha
Can't we At least acknowledge that kf has/is doing really well at fixing the offense. Plus the repeated conversations about opening up our offense and being more explosive. I think that bf probably should have been put back on oline coach if we had found a good oc. But i truly believe that bf is definitely on a short leash now with the offensive upgrades. I expect a giant step forward next season on offense and we'll need it because i see a regression in defense coming.

Yes?

Nobody is saying the opposite of that either. But acting like they're black and white situations isn't correct.
It just seems perfectly clear to a lot of us what needs to be done. It’s not straightforward because the three people involved in this mess, created this mess. So they shouldn’t be able to hide behind, “It’s complicated,” because they in fact were the ones who made it so.

It just seems perfectly clear to a lot of us what needs to be done. It’s not straightforward because the three people involved in this mess, created this mess. So they shouldn’t be able to hide behind, “It’s complicated,” because they in fact were the ones who made it so.
"A lot of us" doesn't really hold much weight in my mind considering how little the average football fan actually knows and how much more to these decisions there are than just on the field performance.

Can't we At least acknowledge that kf has/is doing really well at fixing the offense. Plus the repeated conversations about opening up our offense and being more explosive. I think that bf probably should have been put back on oline coach if we had found a good oc. But i truly believe that bf is definitely on a short leash now with the offensive upgrades. I expect a giant step forward next season on offense and we'll need it because i see a regression in defense coming.

I also NOW expect a regression on D, if Van Ness goes Pro. I wasn’t expecting that & any of you that have followed me for a while, I am always high high high on our defense!

Seems like they are working pretty hard to get out of that mess. And appears to be going well.

Respectfully, I don't see he has done anything to "fix the offense." The consensus opinion, especially among those who defended KF's sticking with Petras for three years, was that it wouldn't matter who was QB with the line being what it is. I have not seen news of a new O line coach or any accomplished O linemen coming in. McNamara SHOULD be an upgrade at QB. All may or may not replace LaPorta's productivity at TE. Both those guys are coming off significant injuries and it isn't unreasonable to wonder about their durability over the course of an entire season.
I haven't seen any huge splash at WR. For all the talk about Anderson, which other schools were competing for his services? GT, App St, James Madison. I still don't see an X-type receiver that is 6'2 or taller with the speed to take the top off the defense. I will be slightly more optimistic if Teslaa comes aboard.
And none of any of that will matter with all the same coaches in place.

Reactions: littlez
With all due respect, did you even look at the link you provided? It shows right there that Iowa was 5 behind Georgia and USC in the final BCS standing.

Iowa was 3rd in the A.P
With all due respect. Did you look at the date they were ranked 3rd? The last regular season BCS poll? That's what would have determined the four teams.

I also NOW expect a regression on D, if Van Ness goes Pro. I wasn’t expecting that & any of you that have followed me for a while, I am always high high high on our defense!
And with the lb issue and x maybe having some difficulty occasionally because he's just young. I dont think we are as deep in dbs. But losing Campbell, van ness, moss, Merriweather, Robers, Jacobs, Seth, and who am i forgetting? Just last years defense was one ill reminisce about in 10 and 20 years. I think we'll be really good but not as good as this years team. We do have some studs though.

I do get that, however the number one culprit, KF still fields very good teams!

He now needs to figure out how to “fix it” or tarnish his legacy!

That’s a powerful need too, in my mind! He does care, making his son money is meaningless in this equation. If he is to the point he gets that, he’ll figure something out, buuuutt, I’m not sure he’ll figure the O out to any of these guy’s satisfaction!

He is still going to play “football” as he sees it…

I honestly thought he’d give BF more rope?! Maybe he did and BF failed, but that is we’re it lies for me!

That’s a powerful need too, in my mind! He does care, making his son money is meaningless in this equation. If he is to the point he gets that, he’ll figure something out, buuuutt, I’m not sure he’ll figure the O out to any of these guy’s satisfaction!

I honestly thought he’d give BF more rope?! Maybe he did and BF failed, but that is we’re it lies for me!
I agree. I still think we get up 21 or 28 to 0 we're going to go conservative although I'd rather it be like when i play on Playstation. I run the score up. That used to be a thing. Hayden did it in some games, lol.

I don’t want to see Kirk go. He’s been good for iowa. But this Brian “reports” to Barta thing, comes from an athletic department, that has given us the women’s field hockey discrimination lawsuit, racial issues with the football team, and the cutting of sports and then uncutting of certain teams. How much faith do we have this will be handled correctly???

I don’t want to see Kirk go. He’s been good for iowa. But this Brian “reports” to Barta thing, comes from an athletic department, that has given us the women’s field hockey discrimination lawsuit, racial issues with the football team, and the cutting of sports and then uncutting of certain teams. How much faith do we have this will be handled correctly???
And don't forget the title 9 issue with the rowing team. Embarrassing. I expect more from our administration.

Meh…. I get that, I think the Iowa HR department has a major “documentation problem”… With that said, you’re rarely going to win a discrimination lawsuit, and I’m actually surprised the football team has pushed this out so far, it makes me feel like they must not think they have a very good case at all… But I digress.

Back to the point of hand, I’m focused on KF & his legacy, and that does appear to be something important to him! Right now his legacy is still fine, but we can’t have another year of offensive ineptitude like we’ve had these last two!

Meh…. I get that, I think the Iowa HR department has a major “documentation problem”… With that said, you’re rarely going to win discrimination lawsuit, and I’m actually surprised the football team has pushed this out so far, it makes me feel like they must not think they have a very good case at all… But I digress.

Back to the point of hand, I’m focused on KF & his legacy, and that does appear to be something important to him! Right now his legacy is still fine, but we can’t have another year of offensive ineptitude like we’ve had this last two!
100 percent agree. I remember the field hockey lawsuit really came down to lack of documentation. Football lawsuit seems like there’s been a lot of backtracking and he said against what someone else said. But it’s still out there so who knows.

100 percent agree. I remember the field hockey lawsuit really came down to lack of documentation. Football lawsuit seems like there’s been a lot of backtracking and he said against what someone else said. But it’s still out there so who knows.

Good convo, and this may surprise you, but this kind of give and take is fun and rewarding for us both. I am reasonable and more than being reasonable. I will say this, KF made a horrific mistake thinking he could coach up the offensive line and one of his quarterbacks would eventually “work“… I’m willing to say that out loud…

I think he grossly misunderstood his offensive roster and the ability of the portal to make it healthy…

With that said this back room, cade, McNamara situation, literally shocked me… I mean, shocked me “he doesn’t fix all our problems” but if the offensive line is just better because of a years worth of growth and coaching, we automatically have a better team next year!

PS…Excuse me, I need to add Brian Ferentz still needs to go!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Good convo, and this may surprise you, but this kind of give and take is fun and rewarding for us both. I am reasonable and more than being reasonable. I will say this, KF made a horrific mistake thinking he could coach up the offensive line and one of his quarterbacks would eventually “work“… I’m willing to say that out loud…

I think he grossly misunderstood his offensive roster and the ability of the portal to make it healthy…

With that said this back room, cade, McNamara situation, literally shocked me… I mean, shocked me “he doesn’t fix all our problems” but if the offensive line is just better because of a years worth of growth and coaching, we automatically have a better team next year!

PS…Excuse me, I need to add Brian Ferentz still needs to go!
I’m with you on this! It’s fun to go back and forth. It’s good banter and never personal. At least I don’t mean it to be!

Last edited:
Meh…. I get that, I think the Iowa HR department has a major “documentation problem”… With that said, you’re rarely going to win a discrimination lawsuit, and I’m actually surprised the football team has pushed this out so far, it makes me feel like they must not think they have a very good case at all… But I digress.

Back to the point of hand, I’m focused on KF & his legacy, and that does appear to be something important to him! Right now his legacy is still fine, but we can’t have another year of offensive ineptitude like we’ve had these last two!
Agreed 100%. I think kf is really feeling it too despite his responses to media. He'll never give out very exciting quotes. Can't believe this quote made a thread.

With all due respect. Did you look at the date they were ranked 3rd? The last regular season BCS poll? That's what would have determined the four teams.

Look, this really isn't important to me, so you go ahead believing whatever you like, but It shows right there, in the link you provided, that Iowa was 5th in the final BCS standing. We were never up to 3 in the BCS. We got to 3rd in the AP, which your post does show.

Here is another link that shows Iowa finished 5th in the BCS.

Have a good night.

I’m with you on this! It’s fun to go back and forth. It’s good banter and never personal. At least I don’t mean it to be!
Yes…. And I say again, although maybe many of my detractors don’t understand this, we have major problems, I mean MAJOR problems on offense!

You don’t understand this because I don’t share it often but I set in my couch and I watch the same ****ing games you guys do, and our offense blows, Blows, BLOWS, It is a major ****ing problem for every serious Iowa fan!!

I just understand the intricacies of college football, and I don’t want to end up with 3, 4, 5 years in a row of uncompetitive football!

We need to make good decisions, not decisions, because we “think” it will help!!

Last edited:
Look, this really isn't important to me, so you go ahead believing whatever you like, but It shows right there, in the link you provided, that Iowa was 5th in the final BCS standing. We were never up to 3 in the BCS. We got to 3rd in the AP, which your post does show.

Here is another link that shows Iowa finished 5th in the BCS.

Have a good night.

Thanks for the link. I've been wanting to see all the top 10 kf has had at the end of the season. I'm terrible at researching, lol.

Respectfully, I don't see he has done anything to "fix the offense." The consensus opinion, especially among those who defended KF's sticking with Petras for three years, was that it wouldn't matter who was QB with the line being what it is. I have not seen news of a new O line coach or any accomplished O linemen coming in. McNamara SHOULD be an upgrade at QB. All may or may not replace LaPorta's productivity at TE. Both those guys are coming off significant injuries and it isn't unreasonable to wonder about their durability over the course of an entire season.
I haven't seen any huge splash at WR. For all the talk about Anderson, which other schools were competing for his services? GT, App St, James Madison. I still don't see an X-type receiver that is 6'2 or taller with the speed to take the top off the defense. I will be slightly more optimistic if Teslaa comes aboard.
And none of any of that will matter with all the same coaches in place.
I think All only needs to replace Lachey's productivity from this year. I think Lachey will be just as good as LaPorta if not better. The biggest concern for offense is the o-line whether they get a new o-line coach or not. If the line doesn't get any better, they will have the same issues next year.

What’s the deal with Barnett still being on…thoughts anyone? Do he and Kirk go ‘way back’? Does Kirk owe him something?

Serious question.

ADVERTISEMENT