ADVERTISEMENT

Post for QC Pizza aficionados . . .

Just had Frank's for the first time. What a giant pile of greasy awfulness
I don't understand why if someone is going to eat pizza and all of its calories, why they would allocate those calories to Franks or QC-style. I mean it is IS pizza so all kidding aside it is not horrible. It just isn't very good and there are more pleasing ways to get fat.

Reactions: QChawks
I don't understand why if someone is going to eat pizza and all of its calories, why they would allocate those calories to Franks or QC-style. I mean it is IS pizza so all kidding aside it is not horrible. It just isn't very good and there are more pleasing ways to get fat.
exactly....after years of attempting to understand this I've come to the realization that QC locals have bad pizza taste. that's it.

That typically is a good sign -- usually means it is hand-ground, local sausage.
I'd agree with this, Leonardo's in Cedar Rapids makes their own stromboli sausage which has a little bite but is normally not terribly hot. It's very good. Their pizza is my favorite around the CR/Marion area although there are some really good pizza pies around here.

Reactions: torbee
exactly....after years of attempting to understand this I've come to the realization that QC locals have bad pizza taste. that's it.
Geez guys, it's almost as if different people have different tastes. What a crazy concept!!

For the record, Roots (the QC style place in Chicago) has proven so popular they've gone from 1 single location to 4 total in South Loop, Lincoln Square, West Town and Old Town. And my (no pics) daughter says most locations require reservations due to how busy they are:

REAP IT.

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
I'd agree with this, Leonardo's in Cedar Rapids makes their own stromboli sausage which has a little bite but is normally not terribly hot. It's very good. Their pizza is my favorite around the CR/Marion area although there are some really good pizza pies around here.
In that area I have had Leonardo's and Need. Leonardo's was very good but I would say Need is better.

Geez guys, it's almost as if different people have different tastes. What a crazy concept!!

For the record, Roots (the QC style place in Chicago) has proven so popular they've gone from 1 single location to 4 total in South Loop, Lincoln Square, West Town and Old Town. And my (no pics) daughter says most locations require reservations due to how busy they are:

REAP IT.
I will says this looks pretty good and better than the crap you get at Harris pizza and the like

I will says this looks pretty good and better than the crap you get at Harris pizza and the like

It is literally the recipe from the guy at Wise Guy's, who had it handed down from Harris:

"Every time I bring people back, we try different places, whether it's Jim's Ribs or Wise Guys or Harris Pizza. Everyone always commented on Wise Guys Pizza, so it became a thing that whenever we'd go back, we'd go there."

He consulted Marv Wise, the owner of Wise Guys Pizza in Davenport and a former boss at Harris, who gave Mohr the recipe.

The recipe itself is easy to reproduce, Mohr said. It's the style that makes the difference.

"I could hand this recipe to someone, and they wouldn't be able to produce it," he added.

That's why Wise is staying in Chicago for six weeks, overseeing the pizza production and teaching the cooks how to roll and toss the dough in the air for customers who can look through a window into a mirrored kitchen.

"It takes a long, long time to get into doing the things that I thought every pizza place did," Mohr said.

It is literally the recipe from the guy at Wise Guy's, who had it handed down from Harris:

"Every time I bring people back, we try different places, whether it's Jim's Ribs or Wise Guys or Harris Pizza. Everyone always commented on Wise Guys Pizza, so it became a thing that whenever we'd go back, we'd go there."

He consulted Marv Wise, the owner of Wise Guys Pizza in Davenport and a former boss at Harris, who gave Mohr the recipe.

The recipe itself is easy to reproduce, Mohr said. It's the style that makes the difference.

"I could hand this recipe to someone, and they wouldn't be able to produce it," he added.

That's why Wise is staying in Chicago for six weeks, overseeing the pizza production and teaching the cooks how to roll and toss the dough in the air for customers who can look through a window into a mirrored kitchen.

"It takes a long, long time to get into doing the things that I thought every pizza place did," Mohr said.

One of these does not look like the others

Wise guys:
o.jpg

4Vj7e1o.jpg

Roots:
SyisZcP.jpg

9LA2mam.jpg

Ptmgucb.jpg

LOL

Well, the Wise Guy pics are taken by some jabroni moron who took the cheese off, apparently with a shitty cell phone.

The other pics are clearly professionally shot for marketing purposes.
Both came from their pages on tripadvisor. Wiseguys apparently DGAF what their product looks like while Roots took the effort to put their best foot forward.

Both came from their pages on tripadvisor. Wiseguys apparently DGAF what their product looks like while Roots took the effort to put their best foot forward.
Well everyone who would eat Wise Guys (Quad Citians) already knows how awesome QC style pizza tastes and the guys at Roots (Chicago) have to sell to a new market. :)

ADVERTISEMENT