ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Presser

Spencer has tears in his eyes? I was sitting in front of him and I never noticed that. Was he emotionally frustrated? You bet.

Iowa never has coordinators after games. Kirk speaks for the coaches. Always has been that way under Kirk. We will get coordinators on Tuesday this week during the bye week so we can talk to Brian.
And then we wonder why KF gets softball questions.

The fallout from this disastrous season will be seen before signing day in December, with or without the current staff calling the shots.

If they stay... you'll see guys decommit. If they leave, you'll get some leaving as well.

Barta/KF have put the program in a short term "no win" situation.

Just another illustration of a coaching staff staying a few years too long.

Kinda weird he won't answer which assistant the personal foul was on. Player getting paid peanuts gets his number called but assistant making 100s of thousands remains anonymous
He was asked at least three different times and wouldn't say who the assistant was. I was unable to watch that time of the game. Who was the assistant in question?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Spencer has tears in his eyes? I was sitting in front of him and I never noticed that. Was he emotionally frustrated? You bet.

Iowa never has coordinators after games. Kirk speaks for the coaches. Always has been that way under Kirk. We will get coordinators on Tuesday this week during the bye week so we can talk to Brian.

Apologies. My view was 1080p on a 70” screen. His eyes were watery and outlined in red.

That is true they are available….but let’s be honest….certain situations require different actions. Running a guy out in front of the media who is a whipping boy is setting a player up for failure. What good came out of Petras going in front of the media compared to what the message would have been sent to that locker room if Brian went out there instead?

He was asked at least three different times and wouldn't say who the assistant was. I was unable to watch that time of the game. Who was the assistant in question?
I'm going to wager it was probably Brian as he has shown he can't control his temper before... but then again with him laughing after we lose and his responsibility played atrocious...IDK maybe it was Phil showing frustration... I would certainly understand where he is coming from.

Reactions: yippeehawks
I'm going to wager it was probably Brian as he has shown he can't control his temper before... but then again with him laughing after we lose and his responsibility played atrocious...IDK maybe it was Phil showing frustration... I would certainly understand where he is coming from.
I think the question that some gutsy reporter needs to ask Brian at a PC this week is, “What was so funny on the sideline.”

Petras addresses the media with tears in his eyes.

Brian Ferentz is no where to be found.

Say what you want about Petras and anyone else on the offense.....but the OC not being out in front of the camera is ridiculous.

Brian is the quarterbacks coach. First year!

Apologies. My view was 1080p on a 70” screen. His eyes were watery and outlined in red.

That is true they are available….but let’s be honest….certain situations require different actions. Running a guy out in front of the media who is a whipping boy is setting a player up for failure. What good came out of Petras going in front of the media compared to what the message would have been sent to that locker room if Brian went out there instead?
That's a question for Iowa athletics to answer. No one on the Iowa beat requested Spencer. We were not asked for players requests after the game, so Iowa made that decision. And we all knew Brian was going to be speaking early in the week as is tradition during a bye week.

Why can't the media follow up his 10 games response with our offensive ranking last year and point out that we win despite our poor offense not because of it? That would be the obvious follow up question to that response

Petras addresses the media with tears in his eyes.

Brian Ferentz is no where to be found.

Say what you want about Petras and anyone else on the offense.....but the OC not being out in front of the camera is ridiculous.
Why would you lie and make things up?

Why can't the media follow up his 10 games response with our offensive ranking last year and point out that we win despite our poor offense not because of it? That would be the obvious follow up question to that response
And you’ve only scored 6 offensive touchdowns this season. Defense got four turnovers vs Illini and knocked out the starting qb. What more do you want the defense to do for your offense?

Oh, by the way tOSU scored seven offensive touchdowns today vs MSU. Good luck in that game KF.

I tried to watch the post game press conference, but I had to shut it off. Just the same old "that's the way it goes sometimes" crap that doesn't take responsibility for losses.

• Sad
Reactions: HFan1981
That's a question for Iowa athletics to answer. No one on the Iowa beat requested Spencer. We were not asked for players requests after the game, so Iowa made that decision. And we all knew Brian was going to be speaking early in the week as is tradition during a bye week.

@TomKakert reading the room of the other beat reporters, is there a sense that this year is different from any of the other years where the Hawks have performed poorly? Different as in more deflated, angry, etc...

By the way, I know how incredibly hard it has to be to ask questions of guys you all have worked so hard to gain trust from to answer questions honestly. Plus, you guys actually know the players personally and they seem like good guys. Rough year...

Reactions: rfgiowa and haightt
@TomKakert reading the room of the other beat reporters, is there a sense that this year is different from any of the other years where the Hawks have performed poorly? Different as in more deflated, angry, etc...

By the way, I know how incredibly hard it has to be to ask questions of guys you all have worked so hard to gain trust from to answer questions honestly. Plus, you guys actually know the players personally and they seem like good guys. Rough year...
I don't get that feeling that it's really any different, but it has to be frustrating for the defense. Two games this year they gave up 10 and 9 points and that wasn't good enough for a win. They are allowing 9.8 points per game as a defense and this team is 3-3. With a somewhat below average offense they should be 5-1 this year. A historically bad one gets you to 3-3.

This. Just because it's always been done one way does mean it's the right way. (That applies to our offense approach too)

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I don't get that feeling that it's really any different, but it has to be frustrating for the defense. Two games this year they gave up 10 and 9 points and that wasn't good enough for a win. They are allowing 9.8 points per game as a defense and this team is 3-3. With a somewhat below average offense they should be 5-1 this year. A historically bad one gets you to 3-3.
Are the Ferentz's aware that it IS historically bad? And that it's directly a result of questionable coaching choices and lack of addressing the offense in any meaningful way?

Are the Ferentz's aware that it IS historically bad? And that it's directly a result of questionable coaching choices and lack of addressing the offense in any meaningful way?
I'm sure they are well aware. It's not like they have their head in the sand. I know some of you think that's the case, but they know the offense is a mess right now.

I know folks don't like it, but Kirk revealed how he views things and it's the way I have been tell folks from years how he views things. His response to the question last night about changes was essentially, "We won 10 games last year." I get that last year was last year, but the bottom line is coming into this season Iowa was 26-9 the last three years. They were 19-8 in Big Ten games and won the Big Ten West last season. From Kirk's perspective going into this season what was broke? Football is a bottom line business and he's hired to do three things, win football games, run a clean program, and win games...ok that's two, but you get my point. Winning matters above all else. Always has an always win. Winning isn't a beauty contest either. Many times it's ugly. Again, I am just sharing an alternate viewpoint. Not making any sort of case or excuses or taking up for Kirk. I completely get why fans are frustrated because right now this offense is hard to watch and that's probably being kind.

From a parent of a contributing defensive player. They said the offense was bad after camp. I held out hope that things would not be as bad as it sounded.

It is worse.

Regardless of what is put out at interviews and how everyone is saying the right things….tensions are high towards the offensive side.

It's not something I carry around in my back pocket to pull out at a post game presser. Kirk's right. Winning matters. It's the ultimate trump card. Plenty of offensive wizards who coach teams that put up points get fired if they don't win.
I mean, this is HISTORICALLY bad offense - coached by Kirk's son!!

Why would the media NOT want to remind the head coach that his son runs one of the worst offenses on the planet and isn't even remotely responsible for the ten games won last year??

Seems like a follow-up question regarding Brian's awful performance(s) is common sense.

Reactions: wxhawk
I'm sure they are well aware. It's not like they have their head in the sand. I know some of you think that's the case, but they know the offense is a mess right now.

I know folks don't like it, but Kirk revealed how he views things and it's the way I have been tell folks from years how he views things. His response to the question last night about changes was essentially, "We won 10 games last year." I get that last year was last year, but the bottom line is coming into this season Iowa was 26-9 the last three years. They were 19-8 in Big Ten games and won the Big Ten West last season. From Kirk's perspective going into this season what was broke? Football is a bottom line business and he's hired to do three things, win football games, run a clean program, and win games...ok that's two, but you get my point. Winning matters above all else. Always has an always win. Winning isn't a beauty contest either. Many times it's ugly. Again, I am just sharing an alternate viewpoint. Not making any sort of case or excuses or taking up for Kirk. I completely get why fans are frustrated because right now this offense is hard to watch and that's probably being kind.
Hard to watch and developing more and more apathy every week. By Nebraska, not many people will truly be “in to it.” Just an excuse to day drink. Like golf. Or fishing.

he would just say you win as a team complimentary football, etc so what's the point. We all know what he will say.

‘Coach, are you aware that 101 FBS receivers have caught more touchdown passes than your entire offense?’

or 153 have the same or more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT