ADVERTISEMENT

Post Game Presser

I mean, this is HISTORICALLY bad offense - coached by Kirk's son!!

Why would the media NOT want to remind the head coach that his son runs one of the worst offenses on the planet and isn't even remotely responsible for the ten games won last year??

Seems like a follow-up question regarding Brian's awful performance(s) is common sense.
He's been reminded about it many times by the Iowa media this season with stats. The answers he gives are not going to change.

Bottom line, the thing that gets coaches fired it losing games, not just bad offense alone.

Pappy is the problem.
The shit obsolete "complex" offense is squarely on him.
I honestly wonder if Junior would be that abysmal in a MODERN SPREAD OFFENSE anywhere else but here?

From a parent of a contributing defensive player. They said the offense was bad after camp. I held out hope that things would not be as bad as it sounded.

It is worse.

Regardless of what is put out at interviews and how everyone is saying the right things….tensions are high towards the offensive side.
How could there not be? We've given away 2 losses that were entirely the fault of the offense, and which would've been wins if we had even a mediocre offense.

I'm sure they are well aware. It's not like they have their head in the sand. I know some of you think that's the case, but they know the offense is a mess right now.

I know folks don't like it, but Kirk revealed how he views things and it's the way I have been tell folks from years how he views things. His response to the question last night about changes was essentially, "We won 10 games last year." I get that last year was last year, but the bottom line is coming into this season Iowa was 26-9 the last three years. They were 19-8 in Big Ten games and won the Big Ten West last season. From Kirk's perspective going into this season what was broke? Football is a bottom line business and he's hired to do three things, win football games, run a clean program, and win games...ok that's two, but you get my point. Winning matters above all else. Always has an always win. Winning isn't a beauty contest either. Many times it's ugly. Again, I am just sharing an alternate viewpoint. Not making any sort of case or excuses or taking up for Kirk. I completely get why fans are frustrated because right now this offense is hard to watch and that's probably being kind.
Great post Tom. Sometimes people (me) need to be reminded the why of someone's behavior. I've been chalking it up to pure stubbornness, but the way you framed it from his point of view is very good. I just dislike very much where that viewpoint has gotten us.

Phil Parker I’m sure has had to swat down head coaching and $$$ offers from other schools, probably yearly… does anyone believe any D1 program would hire Brian as their OC? How about D2 programs?

My follow up would be....if the goal is really to win games... why wouldn't you fix your offense years ago? The ceiling of this program would be significantly higher. Look how high it has gotten consecutively despite an offense
Bingo. Follow up question, do you think you would win more or fewer games, even aside from this year with a more effective offense? You haven’t been in the 50th percentile since, 2002, maybe?

Phil Parker I’m sure has had to swat down head coaching and $$$ offers from other schools, probably yearly… does anyone believe any D1 program would hire Brian as their OC? How about D2 programs?
I don’t think he has aspirations of being a HC, but I could absolutely see him being sick of carrying this much water and leaving for a more equitable situation.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Great post Tom. Sometimes people (me) need to be reminded the why of someone's behavior. I've been chalking it up to pure stubbornness, but the way you framed it from his point of view is very good. I just dislike very much where that viewpoint has gotten us.
I know some call it being stubborn. There's probably some of that. I say this as a middle aged man, guys in their 60's tend to be creatures of habit. :) Look, I get why folks are frustrated. It's a hard watch this season. But, from Kirk's point of view, his style of football has served him well in his tenure at Iowa and basically every time it's hit a rough patch he has responded and done so by not doing what many wanted him to do, which was send his style of offense packing. Is that finally catching up to him this time around? We shall see. Perhaps it has. Going to be an interesting second half of the year and potentially an interesting off-season if this doesn't turn around.

Last edited:
Yes, but this offense should get BRIAN fired.

Why is Brian not being shown the door, Tom?
Because Kirk doesn't think he needs to be fired and his direct report, Gary Barta said this week he still has full faith in him. You are certainly entitled to disagree with them and their viewpoint. I am simply sharing their viewpoint since they make the call on his employment.

Because Kirk doesn't think he needs to be fired and his direct report, Gary Barta said this week he still has full faith in him. You are certainly entitled to disagree with them and their viewpoint. I am simply sharing their viewpoint since they make the call on his employment.
I hear you Tom, you are just the messenger. But what freaking reality are these guys living in?

Reactions: coorsoriginal02
Sure would be nice to have Texas-type boosters right now so Barta and Brian could be run out of town and Kirk could be pressured to retire.

I appreciate your responses. Have a nice night.

FWIW after the game last night our group was walking away from the stadium and gave a “Go
Hawks” to a group of people in Iowa jerseys. A couple of the guys in their group responded “You mean go Defense”. As we passed them I noticed they all had the same name on their jerseys, and I realized it was the family of one of the defensive starters. Their group was clearly not happy. I don’t think we’re far from having a divided locker room.

FWIW after the game last night our group was walking away from the stadium and gave a “Go
Hawks” to a group of people in Iowa jerseys. A couple of the guys in their group responded “You mean go Defense”. As we passed them I noticed they all had the same name on their jerseys, and I realized it was the family of one of the defensive starters. Their group was clearly not happy. I don’t think we’re far from having a divided locker room.

From my understanding it already is.

I saw Shannon’s, Craig’s, Schulte’s parents and a few more. Now that I think about it, I don’t remember one offensive player’s parents wearing their kid’s jersey. Maybe Stephens, but I wouldn’t swear to it. My memory isn’t good.

We were sitting several rows behind the parents but moved closer to the 25 yard line as it was pretty empty under the mezzanine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT