ADVERTISEMENT

Post game thoughts.....

I’m no expert, so let me preface what I’m about to say with that, but I don’t think Iowa’s system is that archaic. If Iowa had a stout offensive line and a couple wide receivers who could stretch the field, I don’t think we’d be talking about the style of offense.

It’s looked bad because our OL has been terrible and has only allowed QBs time to throw quick, short routes. So that’s first and foremost. Second, Iowa doesn’t have speed at WR. You can’t have explosive plays in the passing game without it.

So, no, I don’t agree the system needs a complete overhaul. Iowa needs an upgrade in players. Iowa also plays in the B1G Ten. They need to be balanced and they need to run the football. If Iowa can drastically improve the OL, add a receiver or two via the portal, and bring in an OC who’s halfway competent, the offense will be fine.
You forgot to note that they started one of the worst QB's in College Football for 3 years, that had a large impact

Labas was ok not special. Offensive game plan was to utilize him without putting him in situations where he had to throw the ball over the middle or down field…one all game. Don’t see anything being said about the game planning….we did win the game and that was the objective.
The game plan was set up based on what Kirk said after the game, they were nervous about Labas starting the game. Little praise for Labas, just noted he was glad he made no critical errors. Shows how Ferentz feels about the QB position

True, but remember when the defense scores 2 TD's they go right back on the field. The offense loses two opportunities with the ball. With a team that limits both sides possessions, that also puts the offense behind the 8 ball including the stats of the game for the offense. People bring up Iowa winning games with 206 yards on less on offense. I'd bet the defense scored in those games and limited the offenses possessions. Our offense is not good without question, but this is also a factor in some of those games.
Amazing that someone would post these thoughts, the offense just didn't have enough opportunities to show how good they can be!

The game plan was set up based on what Kirk said after the game, they were nervous about Labas starting the game. Little praise for Labas, just noted he was glad he made no critical errors. Shows how Ferentz feels about the QB position
that’s exactly what I said. young inexperienced QB. game plan was set accordingly. pretty sure we are all glad Labas followed the game plan. missed some open receivers, missed a couple reads but did not turn the ball over.

I can't believe anyone would look at what Barnett has put out the last 2 years and come to the conclusion that this is all his predecessor's fault, and that his predecessor was a bad hire.
His predecessor had a ridiculous amount of attrition and began the decline of interior line play. Barnett and Polasek can both be bad, they're not mutually exclusive positions.

So explain this so called limiting possessions. We had 13 possessions yesterday, punted 8, 1st possession ended on downs, end of half was 1 play and we had a TD on one. Also the end of game possession just ended. So I’m honesty we really had 11 possessions and scored 1 TD. No matter how you slice it that’s terrible. Being able to move the ball has nothing to do with limiting possessions. While you certainly play the game differently yesterday (especially the 2nd half up 21-0) as @Hawk-A-Doodle-Doo says in multiple games, Illinois, Iowa State, at some point your offense needs to be able to win a game for you. I’m not sure you could say they did that all season.
I'm not saying, nor have I ever that the offense doesn't need an overhaul. Specifically, the OL. All I'm saying is that IF the defense scores twice thats still two less times you have the ball, and that its a fact that it will effect offense's stats. And your correct, that having a 21-0 lead in the second half did effect play calling, as it always does under KF.

Oh? So if I say your post is ignorant, does that make me right? o_O Look, your dealing in probabilities. The fact that Iowa struggled doesn't mean if they had it two more times that they might not hit a big play like the one Labas just missed TWICE to Lachey. This effects both the score and certainly the offense stats, which is all I said.
1) FACT, the offense can't score on ANY possession they don't have. 2). FACT. The offense can't add to their stats on any possession they don't have. Those are the only facts. There is however a high probability that if the defense doesn't score 14 points that the 2nd half play calling is different then what we saw.

Reactions: Bishop1971
This! Your offense should not have a goal of limiting possessions. The goal of the offense should be to move the ball however it may be. 8 of our possessions were 3 and out. That’ running zero time off the clock and giving the other team MORE possessions. Which in turn puts even more pressure on them. Which makes what they do even more incredible.
Absolutely, which has nothing to do with what I said earlier. All I said was if they don't have the ball then they can't gain yards or score, and as you pointed out earlier its possible that we take more shots if the D doesn't score 14 points. Lets say Labas hits Lachey or Nico or Vines on the next one. Do we not score more points and add to the stats? I don't see how this is not something worth considering. We did take several shots down field. One great catch by Nico, and several misses. Maybe the next ones a TD.

Absolutely, which has nothing to do with what I said earlier. All I said was if they don't have the ball then they can't gain yards or score, and as you pointed out earlier its possible that we take more shots if the D doesn't score 14 points. Lets say Labas hits Lachey or Nico or Vines on the next one. Do we not score more points and add to the stats? I don't see how this is not something worth considering. We did take several shots down field. One great catch by Nico, and several misses. Maybe the next ones a TD.
Well of course the more possessions you have you hope you are able to do something/anything with them. Again, we had 11 possessions not counting the end of the 1st half and 8 of them were 3 and out. We basically scored on less than 10% of our possessions. So even if we had 20 possessions in probability we get 1 more score. It was that way all season. The offense had plenty of possessions per game. We did nothing with them all season.

I don't know where to get this stat, but I would like to see yards per possession for Iowa and a few others, like ISU, Purdue, and Ohio. For those talking about limiting possessions, that would be the best comparison.

If you still think Padilla should have been given more time you weren't actually paying attention.

As bad as he was, SP could at least complete over half his passes.
How many times was Padilla given the full reigns in practice to be QB1? It’s been reported that he didn’t even get reps with the 1’s very often. I wasn’t there so no idea if this is True or not. Even this year he was thrown into the OSU game down what 34 to 0 or so. Nebraska game, Petra’s gets injured and in he comes again with little to no practice time. Bottom line is we don’t know how good he could have been if given all the first team reps for a month or the entire season. Thanks Alex and Spencer for choosing Iowa and your time here.

How many times was Padilla given the full reigns in practice to be QB1? It’s been reported that he didn’t even get reps with the 1’s very often. I wasn’t there so no idea if this is True or not. Even this year he was thrown into the OSU game down what 34 to 0 or so. Nebraska game, Petra’s gets injured and in he comes again with little to no practice time. Bottom line is we don’t know how good he could have been if given all the first team reps for a month or the entire season. Thanks Alex and Spencer for choosing Iowa and your time here.
Those reports were completely incorrect. Not only did Padilla get time with the ones prior to the NW game, he got them through fall camp, spring, and for several weeks straight last season, and still was worse than Petras.

Padilla started the second half against OSU in what was a clear benching, and the score was 26-10, not 34-0. A deficit, but still just a two-score game. He proceeded to turn the ball over twice in 3 plays and still managed to finish with a lower QBR than Petras.

The idea that "we don't know what Padilla could have done with more reps" is beyond wrong at this point. He threw 155 passes in an Iowa uniform, and not only completed less than half of them, but still managed a worse overall QBR and YPA than Petras. I'm sure he was a great teammate but way too many Iowa fans cling to the idea that he was something that he clearly isn't.

I'm not saying, nor have I ever that the offense doesn't need an overhaul. Specifically, the OL. All I'm saying is that IF the defense scores twice thats still two less times you have the ball, and that its a fact that it will effect offense's stats. And your correct, that having a 21-0 lead in the second half did effect play calling, as it always does under KF.
Our defense also gives the offense the ball at mid field probably more than any team in the country. That normally affects offensive stats in the form of lots of points.

It's because KF isn't a great coach on either side of the ball. The D is obviously the Parker show. Last 2 years OLine was a glaring problem and KF/BF had no ability to coach them up. The Oline hasn't been that good for years so those wanting BF to stay there have lost their minds.

I do agree with this post.....Parker is the defense and KF is the offense and offense has been poor more years than not. The OL being poor with KF/BF supposedly being OL guru's doesn't compute. The Captain Kirk making BF the QB coach + doubling down on Petras/Padilla the past season made no sense. The result of an offense ranked 130 out 131 ranked is a real black mark against KF. It really takes a special level of incompetence to be at a P5 school and put together those type offense numbers.

Reactions: littlez
Those reports were completely incorrect. Not only did Padilla get time with the ones prior to the NW game, he got them through fall camp, spring, and for several weeks straight last season, and still was worse than Petras.

Padilla started the second half against OSU in what was a clear benching, and the score was 26-10, not 34-0. A deficit, but still just a two-score game. He proceeded to turn the ball over twice in 3 plays and still managed to finish with a lower QBR than Petras.

The idea that "we don't know what Padilla could have done with more reps" is beyond wrong at this point. He threw 155 passes in an Iowa uniform, and not only completed less than half of them, but still managed a worse overall QBR and YPA than Petras. I'm sure he was a great teammate but way too many Iowa fans cling to the idea that he was something that he clearly isn't.
So let’s keep throwing the kid under the bus, is that better Frosty

Wow. Really flailing.

Reactions: hoythawk
1. Labas played well considering it was his first action, and against a quality defense. It is glaringly obvious he should have been given a chance early this season.

2. Defense.......'nuff said!

3. Castro, X-man, and Cooper......the future looks bright!

4. I know the Sunshine Club won't like this, but I have to say it. Brian needs to go. Period. End of story. He is a terrible, terrible, terrible OC. His playcalling today was awful. Yeah yeah yeah.....the o-line is bad. But Labas proved today there are ways to minimize that.
Watching Castro in HS, I LOVED how he hit. Good to see him carry that attitude/mentality to D1.

Next year's defense shouldn't be much of a drop off. The DL will still be deep and talented. Campbell made a couple plays each game that virtually no one else makes, but Higgins looks solid. I would feel great if Jacobs had stayed to play the Will. Just need to fill Moss's spot at CB and develop depth in the defensive backfield. Hall obviously had a rough time when he was thrown into the fire vs. Nebraska, but it's far too early to give up on him. (It looked like he just went deer-in-the-headlights instead of trusting his keys and fundamentals.)

Maybe we still pick up Washington in the portal. We just need more scholarships. Really want 2 o line players

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Campbell is a huge loss. Absolutely leader and warrior. Yes, Higgins looks like the real deal. Hopefully others are ready to step up.

His argument is the most far reaching lame attempt of coddling the offense that I've seen on here. And that's really saying something.
I'm not coddling a damn thing. Not one thing I said was false. It is possible they could have done something with those two possessions. You saying they didn't in their other times with the ball has nothing to do with two times they never had it. Its also a fact that when we get a decent lead KF sits on the ball. You know thats true, and it happened again yesterday. We had some nice plays in the first half, and threw the ball down field several times. Labas missed Lachey on both Nico made a great play on the other. Yes, our offense has been poor, Should we just punt on first down?

Reactions: sober_teacher
That first QB that Kentucky rolled out there was just awful.. Had he ever played the position before? He looked like a 5th grade flag football player. Run it into the line or throw a predetermined pass not really worrying about if they are open.
4* 6A Tennessee player of the year. (Largest school class) Far better pedigree than any Iowa QB. Give Iowa Defense credit. Remember the days Iowa fans fretted about facing athletic QBs?
Iowa D made him look like crap.

4* 6A Tennessee player of the year. (Largest school class) Far better pedigree than any Iowa QB. Give Iowa Defense credit. Remember the days Iowa fans fretted about facing athletic QBs?
Iowa D made him look like crap.
You do have to love the twisted logic that nearly everyone agrees we had a great defense this season, but somehow when a player doesn’t play well against that D, he’s just awful.

we’ll just ignore that defense made a lot of guys look ordinary the last couple years.

You do have to love the twisted logic that nearly everyone agrees we had a great defense this season, but somehow when a player doesn’t play well against that D, he’s just awful.

we’ll just ignore that defense made a lot of guys look ordinary the last couple years.
No doubt. We used to be concerned about getting burned by running QB's. How often has that happened in the last several years? PP has evolved, with both the cash position and we've had LB's that can run and defend the field sideline to sideline....

Post game thoughts:

It’s a bowl game. Final year guys had fun, Coach cried and team got the dubb. Stop investing so much and go enjoy celebrating NYE.
I think Ferentz cried about the death of Jack Campbell' s grandfather dying in a car crash in Memphis before the game. The family didn't tell Jack about his death until the game was over.
l

Thank god the season is over and the schedule and bowl was vs a bunch of garbage teams with awful qbs. 8-5 but really a 4-9 team. Same garbage different year.

th

Reactions: Lindemann
1. Labas played well considering it was his first action, and against a quality defense. It is glaringly obvious he should have been given a chance early this season.

2. Defense.......'nuff said!

3. Castro, X-man, and Cooper......the future looks bright!

4. I know the Sunshine Club won't like this, but I have to say it. Brian needs to go. Period. End of story. He is a terrible, terrible, terrible OC. His playcalling today was awful. Yeah yeah yeah.....the o-line is bad. But Labas proved today there are ways to minimize that.
Sorry, not glaringly obvious on #1. He performed like a backup who got a month of #1 reps all to himself. Nothing more based on the results. In no way saying come next fall he won't be better though.

Sorry, not glaringly obvious on #1. He performed like a backup who got a month of #1 reps all to himself. Nothing more based on the results. In no way saying come next fall he won't be better though.
I said it was obvious he should have been given a chance. His mobility alone is a massive improvement over Petras. Given how abysmal Petras's play was, there was no reason not to give him a few series against SDSU or Nevada. If he can perform as well as Spencer in his first game as Spencer did after 3 years, who's to say he won't continue to improve?

There is no "downside" to trying something different when you have the second worst offense in college football.

So let’s keep throwing the kid under the bus, is that better Frosty
Well stop suggesting that Padilla is or could have been good. No, he's not. Stats don't lie....and neither do my eyes.

By the way....who picked up Padilla and put him on scholarship to be their QB?

I'm not coddling a damn thing. Not one thing I said was false. It is possible they could have done something with those two possessions. You saying they didn't in their other times with the ball has nothing to do with two times they never had it. Its also a fact that when we get a decent lead KF sits on the ball. You know thats true, and it happened again yesterday. We had some nice plays in the first half, and threw the ball down field several times. Labas missed Lachey on both Nico made a great play on the other. Yes, our offense has been poor, Should we just punt on first down?

He’s going to die on that hill of offensive smoke and mirrors.
Yep. Stubborn, angry and easily triggered is no way to go through life.

ADVERTISEMENT