ADVERTISEMENT

Post Helene better news

billanole

HB Legend
Mar 5, 2005
The big hurricane thread is focused on upcoming worries, so I wanted to shine to a bright light or two on recovery efforts.
I know many Florida peeps are looking towards Milton, but if you have any feel good recovery bits, post them.

Tony Hancock was passing through Hot Springs on his thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail when Hurricane Helene hit. Hancock, who is from Marion, Virginia, has been helping out at the elementary school since efforts first began Sunday, Sept. 29. Hancock was scheduled to do a work-for-stay with Terry Thirion, owner of Gallery339, across the street from the school. Thirion was organizing the Hot Springs Art Trail, which was scheduled for the weekend of Oct. 5.

"They've helped me out more than I've helped them," Hancock said. "This town's been good to me."

Tony Hancock, from Marion, Virginia, was thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail when Hurricane Helene came through and devastated Western North Carolina. Hancock, on a work-for-stay with Gallery339 owner Terry Thirion, has been assisting with relief efforts.

'There's going to be a book written about this town'​

Hot Springs Town Board member Wendy Stancil has been at the elementary school assisting with efforts on the ground since Sunday, Sept. 29.

"Anyone is welcome here," Stancil said. "We've got groups coming in from Mississippi, Arizona.

The chaos of Helene did not distract Haywood County residents enough for them to bypass group of hungry and stranded travelers Saturday.
A number of truck drivers found themselves stranded at the Pilot fuel station off exit 24 in the Crabtree community. Low on fuel, with Interstate 40 west shut down and power out to most of the region, they couldn’t afford to drive back east in search of another travel center that had power. So they waited.
Some waited for 24 hours — and they were hungry. Though the Pilot was well stocked with food, the staff said they could not sell to the drivers without their electrical system in place, not even on a cash and carry basis.

Several truck drivers started trying to spot motorists who looked like they were locals, offering to pay if they would bring back food.
“We’ve got plenty of cash, we just need to eat,” one driver said.

Enter Mark Sullivan. Sullivan, who lives in Crabtree near Presnell’s Produce, headed to the house for his propane stove, a portable table and some food. He also returned with the bacon donated by a neighbor. Growers donated produce, others donated bread, one motorist provided a stack of paper plates. Others brought chips and sandwich meat for later. Sullivan left his grill and a significant portion of hamburger meat and Ramen noodles for supper.
Sullivan was joined by Perry Karaha, a truck driver, who made pancakes, and Nick Stockton, a student at Western Carolina University as well as two Canadians, Anubhav and Manjet. The improv kitchen crew fed all who needed a meal, from drivers to stranded travelers.

Last edited:
Reactions: runkpanole
And a sad note.

I ventured down there today: the River Arts District.
The epicenter of the flood that has destroyed parts of Asheville, and on so many damn levels. I wanted to see it for myself. I wanted to stand there and simply look. Not to take photos or to gawk. But, to see what the landscape looks likes now. I was shocked and speechless.

The cultural heart of the city has been erased from the map. For someone like myself with a keen sense of direction, and who knows the RAD like the back of my hand, it was difficult to orient myself and figure out what buildings were what and where some once stood.

To note, for the last 12 years, I've called Western North Carolina my home. When I came here, I accepted the position of arts and entertainment editor for The Smoky Mountain News, which includes overseeing and writing all the innumerable stories for our WNC travel publications.

I've interviewed dozens of artists and small businesses all around the RAD in my tenure. I know their stories of hard work to achieve long-held dreams. I've championed their passion and purpose in my writing and stories that have been published over the years.

Many of which have become friends: Hi-Wire Brewing, The Wedge, Pleb Winery, The Grey Eagle (Outpost), Salvage Station, New Belgium Brewing, etc. All of which devastated by floodwaters.

“The whole [place] went down river,” said Russ Keith, owner of The Outpost. “If you had eyesight on the [French Broad] River, you’re probably not in good shape today — it’s going to be a long recovery.”
Not to mention the businesses I've frequented and supported, proudly: White Duck Taco, Smoky Mountain Supper Club, 12 Bones Smokehouse, etc. And all those days I'd go for a late afternoon jog along the French Broad River, starting at The Wedge and heading to Carrier Park and back.

At this moment, I remain stunned and saddened. Sick to my stomach. Windows down in my truck driving through the RAD. The pungent stench of thick mud and rotting debris, where those smells are forever etched in my memory from covering the devastating flood in Cruso in 2021.

• Sad
Reactions: runkpanole
@billanole , I’m an ahole for not asking before. How are you doing, brother? Did you make it through ok?
Yessir, thanks for checking in. We lost power and water for just over seven days. Without juice, we drained the hot water heater for terlet water and ate nearly everything perishable in both the freezer and fridge.
Lack of internet and cell for nearly that same amount of time sucked, but not life threatening. HORT was surely relieved to do without my posts…
Only real damage within a few miles to the East of us was an area on the Pigeon River that typically floods, although two miles to the West several people in the Jonathan Valley area were killed by flooding. Also not many miles away down in the Pigeon River gorge I-40 again got ripped up. The East bound lanes near the Tenn. border will likely take years to repair and Thatbis a major E-W corridor.
Other areas in our region suffered far greater damage.
Brother in Tally says that they fared well, how about your crew?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT