ADVERTISEMENT

Post Nebraska

fufighters

HR MVP
Nov 13, 2009
In the decades I've been going to CHA wrestling meets it hard to say I've seen a team that absolutely looked drained. I'm not taking anything away from Nebraska because they came into town believing they could win.
Remember this is a team that won CKLV out pointing Ohio st and Arizona. Was at one time ranked in the top 3 and has an awful lot of talent.
Iowa won all but 2 matches and looked as flat as I've seen them. If we look this flat against PSU we will lose.

I think Nebraska has a good team and didn't really have any fish. Hard fought matches and I thought hawks looked strong. A numb3r of matches where neb scored the first takedown and hawks came back to win. Hopefully these "close" wins are just what Iowa needs to keep them moving forward.

Nebraska came ready to wrestle and had a plan. They executed that plan well. Controlling hand fighting and keeping distance are not only going to slow down Iowa’s offense but also frustrate them. I wouldn’t say that I saw anyone and thought that Iowa was training through the meet.

Was at the meet last night & watching again this morning. Nebraska wrestled as good a meet as Manning could have expected in CHA. Disappointed in Murin but Red is just too good an athlete and the better wrestler. Murin needs to find added offense, especially in space. Warner the big disappointment. Coach needs to help him find some confidence. It’s all between the ears for Jacob and sadly no reason for it. Other than these two, I thought the Hawks looked solid. Lovett did nothing in 3rd, just ride with leg & arm bar until 15. Sec left. Want Lugo to do more but he is who he is. He wrestled more like Nebby was trying to do, get a lead & force your opponent to find offense. He’s difficult to score on, so works for him. P. Robb looked great for a

White is tough, so no shame in Marinelli’s close match; especially when White did little, just wanting to keep it close. Kemerer looked “off” and clearly dealing with more than we know but again a tough opponent. Worried about Michael’s inability to finish shots. I hope he can get/stay healthy. If we can get our mental game squared away at a number of weights, we’ll be okay but some small red flags with seemingly lack of confidence. We were due for a few ”letdowns”.

Up through 197 (I missed the last match), your guys looked flat/worn to me (except Lee and Assad).

Not a bad sign that it wasn't a problem for any but two.

Murins style is not a good matchup for a good athlete. Lugo will win as close as possible no matter the opponent. Young has ability to give more. White is always tough no surprises there. Warner is Warner, flat footed mental issues with all the tools tho. Desanto is the only concerning one, he looked human in his conditioning. Why?!

Reactions: Hawky42
Murins style is not a good matchup for a good athlete. Lugo will win as close as possible no matter the opponent. Young has ability to give more. White is always tough no surprises there. Warner is Warner, flat footed mental issues with all the tools tho. Desanto is the only concerning one, he looked human in his conditioning. Why?!
This is what I've been saying, these guys are human. DeSanto might have had a bad weight cut, under the weather, wrote a paper late in the night. No one doubts his desire to win, but I agree that he looked tired in the second and that's not AD. Remember Kemmer at Indiana and then he looked far better against Purdue. He didn't improve that much in a day and it's a fact that sometimes your body is just not responding. AD will be fine. Warner will put it together when it counts and the good news is we hammered a very good team that I can't believe lost to Wisconsin.

White is tough, so no shame in Marinelli’s close match; especially when White did little, just wanting to keep it close. Kemerer looked “off” and clearly dealing with more than we know but again a tough opponent. Worried about Michael’s inability to finish shots. I hope he can get/stay healthy. If we can get our mental game squared away at a number of weights, we’ll be okay but some small red flags with seemingly lack of confidence. We were due for a few ”letdowns”.
I don’t know about Kemerer still struggling with injury. I thought he just looked a little sluggish/was Wrestling a tough opponent. What makes you say that he is dealing with “more than we know”?

I was more impressed with NE game plan and grit than disappointed in Iowa.
This is what I've been saying, these guys are human. DeSanto might have had a bad weight cut, under the weather, wrote a paper late in the night. No one doubts his desire to win, but I agree that he looked tired in the second and that's not AD. Remember Kemmer at Indiana and then he looked far better against Purdue. He didn't improve that much in a day and it's a fact that sometimes your body is just not responding. AD will be fine. Warner will put it together when it counts and the good news is we hammered a very good team that I can't believe lost to Wisconsin.
I don’t know about Kemerer still struggling with injury. I thought he just looked a little sluggish/was Wrestling a tough opponent. What makes you say that he is dealing with “more than we know”?
He was in deep a number of times & didn’t finish, even backing out after a seemingly goo shot. “Felt” to me like it was “physical” but just my take, not aware of anything more.

Reactions: Fair Child
I hated the way Nebraska wrestled. Tie up an arm and hang on. The official was the worst I've seen regarding calling stall calls. I think he called one stall all night. The right official creates action by calling stalling and he swallowed his whistle.

We looked beatable against a team that won cklv tournament and has alot of good wrestlers. But again they only won 2 bouts. Maybe it's a little fatigue or to much hype. After all we've pretty much destroyed every team.
We've faced at the time #8 ISU #6 Wisconson #12 Priceton #18 Purdue #7 Nebraska (was as high #2 in some poles until Wisconsin loss) plus Midlands.
Unfortunately when Iowa destroys a team they drop bad and then it's on to the next.

Reactions: AFHawk86
Not a fan of the style they wrestled but as much as I dislike Manning, it was effective in CHA. More so a moral victory but they kept matches closer than we expected, so give them some credit.

Reactions: Muscles1989
I hated the way Nebraska wrestled. Tie up an arm and hang on. The official was the worst I've seen regarding calling stall calls. I think he called one stall all night. The right official creates action by calling stalling and he swallowed his whistle.

He called stalling until Manning and his staff got in his face 2nd warning and then only called 1 the rest of the night.

Reactions: andegre
Luckily Iowa was able to win most of the close matches or that score would’ve been a lot closer. Happy to see the guys gut out close wins, will help come March.

I agree. Desanto's guy even though behind entering the 3rd period just wanted to stall out the entire period by applying a leg lock and arm bar and and laying on him doing nothing...should have been called for stalling and was no...he just wanted to keep score close...not win.

Reactions: caseyballzz
He called stalling until Manning and his staff got in his face 2nd warning and then only called 1 the rest of the night.

Manning was yelling like a lunatic throughout each match....strange but yet I consider the source....Huskers and that's the norm.

Though Warner lost late, it didn't look really like he completely gassed (relative to Schultz).

He took two shots with under 30 seconds, and got to a leg on the second one. I think he let up thinking Schultz was prepared to take it to OT and got caught unprepared.

Also, mentioned this in the other thread, but here's Schultz's celebration. I hope Warner can get payback one or two times this year

In the decades I've been going to CHA wrestling meets it hard to say I've seen a team that absolutely looked drained. I'm not taking anything away from Nebraska because they came into town believing they could win.
Remember this is a team that won CKLV out pointing Ohio st and Arizona. Was at one time ranked in the top 3 and has an awful lot of talent.
Iowa won all but 2 matches and looked as flat as I've seen them. If we look this flat against PSU we will lose.

Honestly, I think we say this about five times each year. We said it last week against Purdue. I'm of two minds. Sometimes I think Cael has the right idea and does not work the guys hard in season, keeping them fresh and injury free. Sometimes I think we're looking at it too closely -- lots of good wrestlers have several unimpressive wins against lesser wrestlers during the season; we just don't see those matches because we aren't holding them under a microscope the way we do our own guys.

But bottom line is, we always have several matches a year where the team looks flat.

Though Warner lost late, it didn't look really like he completely gassed (relative to Schultz).

He took two shots with under 30 seconds, and got to a leg on the second one. I think he let up thinking Schultz was prepared to take it to OT and got caught unprepared.

Also, mentioned this in the other thread, but here's Schultz's celebration. I hope Warner can get payback one or two times this year

Nothing new, just acting like the football team. Down by a ton and makes a routine play and defender "throws the bones"

They had nine chances for an upset and were successful twice. We only had one opportunity and pulled it off. That's the (nice) problem with having so many studs -- the potential for losing to lower ranked wrestlers goes up. Plus now every team has us in their sights.

Last edited:
In a perfect world we'd see more offense. I guess a positive is if you disclude 141 we didnt give up many takedowns. Hat's off too RedJr. and Schultz.

I thought Nebraska's 133, 149, 157, 174 and Hwt wrestlers wrestled very tight almost just too keep it close. Not sure if I saw a single td attempt from most of those guys.

Kemerer and Warner sometimes appear too be physically weaker then opponent. Also Lugo being a 5'5 149er hes used too this but still struggles with lenghthy guys sometimes.

Sitting right by Nebraska bench I gotta ask,, whats up with the Mark Manning hate?

"Sit down Manning"
"Stalling on Manning"
"If it wasn't for Burroughs no one cares about you Manning!!"

Reactions: Descat1
When the announcer says that the Hawkeye is undefeated at Carver should there be an asterisk added?

Honestly, I think we say this about five times each year. We said it last week against Purdue. I'm of two minds. Sometimes I think Cael has the right idea and does not work the guys hard in season, keeping them fresh and injury free. Sometimes I think we're looking at it too closely -- lots of good wrestlers have several unimpressive wins against lesser wrestlers during the season; we just don't see those matches because we aren't holding them under a microscope the way we do our own guys.

But bottom line is, we always have several matches a year where the team looks flat.

I wouldn't go as far as to say Cael does not work his guys hard in season. We see flatness with PSU periodically, and fans conclude "training-through" as an explanation.

That celebration was after Big Bob was in the chair after the Bull’s match. From TV it appeared he was trying to stare down the Iowa bench (ala the 157 Kem used to wrestle) and give back the towel waiving.

As far as Kem, Gibbons was talking about him not used to finishing those shots in 174 guys just yet. Said he was a 149 his true freshman season and just needs more mat time against these bigger guys and missing Midlands hurt him. Was a new viewpoint on Kem and figure he’d be getting this bigger guys in the room, but maybe his finishes aren’t as crisp with them so he doesn’t feel comfortable being underneath. Maybe the thought of an open one weekend really helps his confidence again with finishes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT