ADVERTISEMENT

Post your 2007 predictions here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2003
Tom's annual football forecast is now available on the front page and linked below.

Fearless football forecast for 2007

Now what we want to hear are your game by game predictions. Here is the 2007 schedule. If you can, please break down each game as a win or loss to get your overall record and then try to predict what bowl game the Hawkeyes may end up with.

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field)
9/8 - Syracuse
9/15 - at Iowa State
9/22 - at Wisconsin
9/29 - Indiana
10/6 - at Penn State
10/13 - Illinois
10/20 - at Purdue
10/27 - Michigan State
11/3 - at Northwestern
11/10 - Minnesota
11/17 - Western Michigan

10-2 and the Capital One Bowl. We lose at Wisconsin and at home to MSU. I have a feeling we'll win one of the tough road games and lose what should be a win at home.
This post was edited on 7/18 8:50 AM by HawkOptimistif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field) - W 24-21 (1-0) Novaks team is tricky and young offense tries to find itself
9/8 - Syracuse - W 31-14 (2-0) First home game, night game big noisy crowd
9/15 - at Iowa State - W 28-14 (3-0) - ISU doesnt have the talent to fit their new system yet
9/22 - at Wisconsin - W 14-13 (4-0) - Toughest game so far, but the Hawks had a lot of opportunities to win last season too.
9/29 - Indiana - W 42-24 (5-0) - Indiana has a Hawk killer offense, but cant stop the run on D and will see all they want of Albert Young
10/6 - at Penn State - W 13-3 (6-0) Tough game for two teams who havent seen each other in a while, KF continues to dominate JoePa
10/13 - Illinois - W 24-23 (7-0) Zook has continually talked about Iowa and how they should be able to be at least as good, this will be their one big game a la Dan McCarney
10/20 - at Purdue - W 38-3 (8-0) Wilford is on his last leg at PU
10/27 - Michigan State - L 35-24 (8-1) New coach will have this team ready to play
11/3 - at Northwestern - W 42-28 (9-1) - Hawks have some payback and will bounce back after the loss
11/10 - Minnesota - W 35-7 (10-1) - Gophers are another team that doesnt have the talent to match their scheme yet
11/17 - Western Michigan - W 21-14 (11-1) - Broncos want to shock the world and Hawks want to get out with no injuries

Capitol One Bowl berth - If Iowa goes 11-1 they will likely share the conference championship with Michigan. I think that since Iowa misses both OSU and Michigan they will have a tough time cracking the BCS with a really weak schedule.

I really can't see anything but 10-2 or better being accetable this year with no OSU or Michigan on the schedule...even that puts Iowa as the 5th best team in the big 10...

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field) - W
9/8 - Syracuse - W
9/15 - at Iowa State - W
9/22 - at Wisconsin - L
9/29 - Indiana - W
10/6 - at Penn State - L
10/13 - Illinois - W
10/20 - at Purdue - W
10/27 - Michigan State - W
11/3 - at Northwestern - W
11/10 - Minnesota - W
11/17 - Western Michigan - W

Bowl, well depends as I see 4 other big teams being picked before the HAwks this year...so most likely no New years day bowl game again...

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field)-W
9/8 - Syracuse-W
9/15 - at Iowa State-L
9/22 - at Wisconsin-L
9/29 - Indiana-W
10/6 - at Penn State-L
10/13 - Illinois-L
10/20 - at Purdue-W
10/27 - Michigan State-W
11/3 - at Northwestern-W
11/10 - Minnesota-W
11/17 - Western Michigan-W

8-4 with a trip to the Champs Sports Bowl
This post was edited on 7/18 9:25 AM by sandiegohawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

10-2 with those two losses (@Wisky and PSU) is my guess as well. We'll be in Cap One again.

This post was edited on 7/18 9:29 AM by JimHawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 7/18 9:30 AM by JimHawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Originally posted by Carolina Hawk:

Originally posted by IO-wuh:
10-2 losing at Wisconsin and Penn State.

Ditto

Pretty much agree. Although, I think we could pull off a win on one of those projected losses & lose one we shouldn't.

call me crazy but i feel 11-1 with a loss at penn state...one loss could still give us a share of the Big Ten title this year, which would definitely put us in a January bowl game. but if 9-3 happens, thats not too shabby

9/1 - Northern Illinois W
9/8 - Syracuse W
9/15 - at Iowa State W
9/22 - at Wisconsin L
9/29 - Indiana W
10/6 - at Penn State L
10/13 - Illinois L
10/20 - at Purdue W
10/27 - Michigan State W
11/3 - at Northwestern W
11/10 - Minnesota W
11/17 - Western Michigan W

9/8 - Syracuse W
9/15 - at Iowa State W
9/22 - at Wisconsin W
9/29 - Indiana W
10/6 - at Penn State L
10/13 - Illinois W
10/20 - at Purdue L
10/27 - Michigan State W
11/3 - at Northwestern W
11/10 - Minnesota W

9/8 - Syracuse W
9/15 - at Iowa State W
9/22 - at Wisconsin W
9/29 - Indiana W
10/6 - at Penn State L
10/13 - Illinois W
10/20 - at Purdue L
10/27 - Michigan State W
11/3 - at Northwestern W
11/10 - Minnesota W

My picks below show 10 - 2. Somehow I feel 9-3 is more likely.

W 9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field)
W 9/8 - Syracuse
W 9/15 - at Iowa State (but tougher and closer than most expect)
L 9/22 - at Wisconsin
W 9/29 - Indiana
L 10/6 - at Penn State
W 10/13 - Illinois (but tougher and closer than most expect again)
W 10/20 - at Purdue
W 10/27 - Michigan State
W 11/3 - at Northwestern
W 11/10 - Minnesota
W 11/17 - Western Michigan

I'm thinking the Purdue game (KF teams have seemingly always struggled against Tiller teams) and the MSU and Minny games are kind of toss-ups, mostly because of new coaching staffs/philosophies. So, I think one of those 3 could be another L replacing one of my W's.

I'm thinking a return to a January bowl game and probably in Florida is likely.

Last year, Iowa finished with a string of L's. I'm liking my picks above showing Iowa finishing out with solid string of W's. Hope that proves true.

This post was edited on 7/18 11:11 AM by Harrierif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 7/18 11:13 AM by Harrierif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

The predictions of Illinois beating the Hawks in Kinnick are shocking to me. Are you serious?! Their '07 recruiting class is going to make that much of a difference immediately? If that's the case, they should win the NC in a few years!

Meanmachine, I was just looking for a 3rd loss truthfully. I figured Illinois might beat Iowa this year similar to Indiana beat Iowa last year. Do I think Illinois is going to beat Iowa, prob. not but I think 3 losses is more probable than 2 losses. I don't see Iowa losing to ISU b/c I think all those Juco's will really struggle early on. I don't see Iowa losing to MSU or Minnesota this year w/ new coaches and I think Purdue has been on the way down for a couple years now and will struggle big time.

BlackHawk - Understood. They will probably, but hopefully not, lose one they should win. But I don't see it happening to Illinois. Looking at the schedule, it would be very disappointing to lose any of the home games this year. If we do, we still have a ways to go to get back to the level we were at before the two year skid.

There are so many variables in this season that it is difficult to get an accurate read on the type of team that we will have. The questions that are out there are based on several factors.
1) Will this team be able to get pressure on the QB from the front four?
2) Are the LB's and Safeties going to be able to help in run support or are they going to have to take on blockers like last yr due to the D-line problems?
3) Will the O-line get to the point of quality that the class of 05 shows in promise?
If those three things are yes, I think Iowa is poised for a run at the BCS. The components are in place for a tremendous yr.

I can't remember a time that Iowa had a better set of skill players. The WR corps is the deepest and fastest that I have seen at Iowa. Young and Sims are as good a 1-2 punch in Iowa history. These two combined could have over 6,000 yds by the time they leave Iowa. Jake will play just fine at QB. Yes, he is young, but he has still been in the program for three yrs now and he has a great foundation from his dad on how to play the game. He also has a ton of talent. Iowa has won big with new QB's, and all three of them had less time in the Iowa offense than Jake before they took over.

The defense will be solid if they stay healthy on the D-line. Although they lost Merrick and Paschal, I don't think we will see much of a drop off in production. Moylan is back for SS and Paschal played hurt most of last season. Godfrey and Shada are a solid set of corners and I would expect Godfrey to play better this season. Even though Texas had good wr's in the bowl game, you did not see too many plays going to them. Iowa had all kinds of prob's covering the slot and te last yr because of the lb's. Their lack of speed and skill was exposed with a lack of pass rush. Hopefully, Humpal will stay healthy and Edds will be better in coverage and open field tackling than Miles.

Iowa Vs Northern Ill. Iowa 42 No Ill 10
Iowa 27 Syracuse 10
Iowa 27 Iowa State 14
Wiscy 24 Iowa 17
Iowa 24 Ill 17
Iowa 24 PSU 10
Iowa 37 Indy 17
Iowa 42 NW 14
Iowa 35 Mich St 24
Pur 42 Iowa 38
Iowa 42 Minn 14
Iowa 52 W Mich 14

Some of the scores are based on Iowa having a lot of nastiness for what happened last yr and wanting revenge. Iowa has no OSU and Mich which means that the focus will not be looking ahead, but playing week by week.

A different way to do it:

9/1 - Iowa 75% over NIU
9/8 - Iowa 90% over SYR
9/15 - Iowa 60% over ISU
9/22 - Iowa 25% over WIS
9/29 - Iowa 90% over IND
10/6 - Iowa 40% over PSU
10/13 - Iowa 80% over ILL
10/20 - Iowa 50% over PUR
10/27 - Iowa 80% over MSU
11/3 - Iowa 70% over NW
11/10 - Iowa 80% over MINN
11/17 - Iowa 90% over WMU

Add up the percentage based probabilities: 8.3 wins vs 3.7 losses

I do think Iowa will win one of: WISC, PUR, PSU and go 10-2, however.

FINAL ANSWER: 10-2 (losses to WIS and PUR)

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field) W-great opening day win
9/8 - Syracuse W-Cuse coming outdoors is good for us
9/15 - at Iowa State W-very close if not a loss
9/22 - at Wisconsin L-Iowa leads late and Wisky makes comeback
9/29 - Indiana W-"last year" need I say more?
10/6 - at Penn State W-get on them early
10/13 - Illinois W- I will be there so we will win :)
10/20 - at Purdue L- they remember getting spanked last season.
10/27 - Michigan State W-Not enough talent
11/3 - at Northwestern L-here is our loss that shouldnt have happened
11/10 - Minnesota W-senior day
11/17 - Western Michigan W easy blow out

We go to the Alamo Bowl hopefully to play some good competition like Texas or Nebraska or Oklahoma. Win that game and gets us geared for 08. 9-3

8-4, with losses to Iowa State, Wisconsin, PSU and Purdue. Possible Champp Sports Bowl.

I see this as a momentum season... we have a lot of questions and the overwhelming one (in the players' minds as well) will be "was last year a fluke or are we mediocre?" As such, it will be all about proving ourselves early.

In my mind, if we make it unscathed through the first 3 (which I think we will), we'll have a great chance at beating wiscy. I think, then, that we'd go 11-1. If we falter in clown town, we could be looking at 8-4 or worse.

I feel less able to predict this year than any year since i've followed the Hawks seriously. It just seems like such an either / or.

But we ARE under the radar again...

9-3, losses at Wisconsin, PSU, and Purdue. We seem to lose one that we should win, and this year it's Purdue. But we should win every home game this year. 9-3 might possibly get us to the Outback, or we could end up back in San Antonio.

O.K., hate to do it but here goes, I'll predict 6-6.

Not sure which games win win or lose since we seem to be unpredictable in that area anyway but my concerns are as follows:

1. The B10 will be a tougher conference this year.
2. We need to be free of any major injuries because our depth in the trenches is questionable at best.
3. We have a new, mostly unproven QB while most of the beatable teams in the conference have a returning QB and a lot of starters.
4. Special teams have been anything but the last several years.
5. The coaching in the B10 has gotten much better over the last several years. Our normal edge there has been trimmed.
6. The defense needs to improve greatly and create some turnovers which is not our strong suit. (we were -11 in T.O. ratio last year)

I know this is pretty pessimistic compared to most others on here but I have had my confidence shaken over the last 2 years. I hate to be labeled as doom and gloom because I do think we can turn things around and have a great season but we have a lot of questions right now. We have already lost 2 players in the 2 deeps in the trenches and those are areas that we cannot afford to lose people. Our DB's seem to running into problems off the field. Who knows who and how many we will have there.

We have a new punter and placekicker - the list just goes on and on. I do think Signor will be fine but it normally takes a while for a new punter to find consistency.

We go 11-1,losing at wisky (absolutely hate this). The Hawks tie Michigan for the Big 10 title and go to the Cap One bowl. Our record schedule will prevent us from a BCS bowl.

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field) w
9/8 - Syracuse w
9/15 - at Iowa State w
9/22 - at Wisconsin l
9/29 - Indiana w
10/6 - at Penn State l
10/13 - Illinois w
10/20 - at Purdue w
10/27 - Michigan State w
11/3 - at Northwestern w
11/10 - Minnesota w
11/17 - Western Michigan w

Capital One Arkansas

11-1 with a loss to Wisconsin. I have a feeling that the Hawkeyes swagger will be back and we will see some hard hitting Iowa football. The only reason I am giving the win to the Badgers is because this game is early in the season.

8-4 losses to ISU, Wiscy, PSU, and Purdue.

Hope I'm terribly wrong. 10-2 is certainly a very, very realistic goal.

Here's how I'd define the season
11-1 - Excellent
10-2 - Very good (won every game we were supposed to, so it's not great or excellent)
9-3 - Good
8-4 - Fair/Mediocre
7-5 - Poor

last year I tried the reverse jinx and went with 8-5 (getting blasted by many by the way).

so screw that I'm saying we go 12-0, our closest game is a 24-10 manhandling of the badgers and we have the greatest overall team performance since northwestern in '02 with a 49-3 beat down of penn st.

by the way I'll be in happy valley that day.

I'll also be in Pasadena to see us crush Cal 31-13.

But LSU beats USC bad to win the NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT