ADVERTISEMENT

Post your 2007 predictions here

Status
Not open for further replies.
10-2

Losses to Penn State and a team like Indiana/Northwestern/Iowa State

12-0 and we will be behind OSU and another team again for the BCS championship game. We might even be behind Michigan in the rankings because we just don't play as tough a schedule with OSU-MICH off this year. Will make for some great griping at the end of the year.

My fall back position is 9-3 like Tom said.

9/1 - Northern Illinois W
9/8 - Syracuse W
9/15 - at Iowa State L
9/22 - at Wisconsin L
9/29 - Indiana W
10/6 - at Penn State L
10/13 - Illinois L
10/20 - at Purdue W
10/27 - Michigan State W
11/3 - at Northwestern L
11/10 - Minnesota W
11/17 - Western Michigan W

7-5

I'd take a loss against Northwestern or Minnesota to not lose the Wisconsin game. I really really dislike Wisconsin. I hate them as much as OSU hates Michigan.

9/1 - No. Illinois (Soldier Field - SOLD OUT!!!) Big W, Big Atmosphere, Great Scheduling to Roll Out our new QB and show off our Program! Huge recruiting tool.

9/8 - Syracuse (Night game - First Home Game - Great fans!) W

9/15 - at Iowa St. (We'll be tested early by Meyer and Blythe and the crowd. We'll see what our guys are made of here folks if we fall behind early. We need to score early and not let them believe for one minute that they can play with us. If they have early success, well, you know how they can then play way beyond themselves.) W

9/22 - at Wisconsin ( Our first 3 games have set us up tremendously for the kind of atmosphere we'll see at Madison. Our guys will not be shellshocked. Albert Young will go off bigtime in this game. I don't care who it is but please put our BEST DEFENDER(or Defenders) on Travis Beckum!!! Please start game planning for him NOW!! And the rest will take care of itself.) W

9/29 - Indiana (I can't believe that receiver is only a Junior - feels like he's played 5 yrs. already. He will be accounted for this time.) W

10/6 - at Penn St. (Coach always gets the guys up for Happy Valley) W

10/20 - Illinois (If you talk to Norm Parker, he'll tell you we won the battle last year in Champaigne, but lost the war. We were beat up physically in that game and lost Kanellis w/ the appendix, etc. The rest of the year was trying to get guys healthy-Walking wounded.) W

10/27 - at Purdue (Depending on how we get through last week healthwise, this could be a possible stumbling block, at their place. Painter, Sheets, and Bryant can be scary ) L

10/27 - Mich. St. (I like that this is a home game - New Coach & QB-No Drew Stanton) W

11/3 - at Northwestern ( Talk about a thorn in the side, Our guys will remember a couple years ago in Evanston when the game should have been over with 2 minutes left. Also, last years' game could possibly be the worst game I have ever watched) W

11/10 Minnesota (Senior Day - Last year still fresh on our minds) W

11-1 Record (The one loss will probably come on the road at Purdue, Wisconsin, or Penn St. - It just seems inevitable that we will have a hiccup somewhere)

Bowl game - Capital One - Orlando

Albert Young and Damien Sims are going to light it up this year. Tony Moeaki needs to become Jake's safety blanket go-to guy this year. No need to get flashy way up field, just the Dallas Clark type plays that get the job done that sometimes turn into huge plays. I also cannot wait to see AJ Edds giving these teams nightmares. Our pass rush with Mattison, Iwebema, King, and Clayborn will allow Edds to make huge plays the way Greenway did his soph. and junior years. Also can't wait to see what DJK, Cleveland, Bowman, Everson, Bernstine, Bulaga, and others can bring to the show. I don't want to see Albert Young or Damien Sims for that matter, returning kickoffs this year. They are both too valuable at RB for us this year and the guys mentioned above can handle it. I don't even like the idea of Brodell and Douglas returning punts. Again, way too valuable as Wide Receivers for them to get blown up on special teams. I'm predicting an exciting year for the Hawkeyes!!!

Unfortunately even if we don't really make any changes that some people would like to see we could still go 8-4 because of our schedule....and many Hawkeye fans would be happy with that, when really that would likely mean not beating anyone of significance and losing two games to the likes of ISU, Purdue, NW, etc.

Hopefully this won't be an issue and we can get back to Iowa Football....but I'm waiting to see it before I expect it.

Not Iowa related, but I predict ND gets blown out in their undeserving BCS bowl appearance.

Northern Illinois 24, Iowa 17 (0-1)
Iowa 24, Syracuse 10 (1-1)
Iowa State 23, Iowa 14 (1-2)
Wisconsin 28, Iowa 10 (1-3)
Iowa 31, Indiana 21 (2-3)
Penn State 24, Iowa 13 (2-4)
Iowa 31, Illinois 21 (3-4)
Purdue 38, Iowa 14 (3-5)
Iowa 26, Michigan State 17 (4-5)
Northwestern 31, Iowa 24 (4-6)
Iowa 21, Minnesota 17 (5-6)
Iowa 35, Western Michigan 10 (6-6)

6-6, Insight.com Bowl, party at Hime_Peterson's place.

No less than 10-2, I'm thinking more in the lines of 11-1. But, I'm very optimistic, I predict 12-0. The attitude will be back in full effect. Kirk's foot has been all in their butts since before the Alamo bowl last and it has not came out yet.

Granted the Northwestern game scares the crap out of me too and reading these predictions isn't making me feel much better.

But if we lose to them 3 years in a row, I don't care what else happens this year, Iowa football is NOT headed in the right direction.

Originally posted by ChipHilton:
4-8.

You must think Ferentz is on his way out. That type of season and outcome is my nightmare.
I will go 8 and 4 due to the mediocre schedule. A much better record would rebuild my belief in the program.

My prediction is 11-1!! I have good feeling about this team. Eventhough with recent distractions, I believe this team have some good qualities. Offensively we are experience at key positions that can help a young quarterback in the beginning. Jake will get better as the season get along. The Defense should improve with the experienced they got last year especially corners. Godfrey and Shada played pretty in Alamo Bowl hopefully it continues to this year. Special Team, I counting players like Bowman, Chaney or Everson to give us a boost in that area. We haven't had a good returner since Razor Ramon. We need a guy to make impact and change the field positon game.

Purdue has 18 returning starters including their QB. This is off a respectable 8-6 year. If Wilford doesn't screw it up - they should have a nice year.

With our talent and that schedule, we have to be at least 10-2. I will say 11-1, with the sole loss coming at Penn State. We will get Wisky and Purdue and don't even worry about the Clones. The only other potential road bump I see is the opener against NIU. Only because it's the opener and Jake might try to do too much playing so close to home and wanting to have a great showing in front of his friends and family and NIU is a solid team that rarely beats itself. As Coach Ferentz has said in the past, the greatest improvements are generally made between weeks one and two...so watch out Syracuse. It could get really ugly! (56-10)

I just really want to see an exciting brand of ball where we fully utilize our playmakers, whether it be running or throwing. We have playmakers all over the offensive side of the ball with AY, Sims, Douglas, Brodell and Moeaki. Not to mention some hope in DJK, Cleveland and Bowman. The defense will be very tight. I think if we hold opponents to 17 points per game we will be in the BCS. Penn State could be another 6-4 special, but more realistically 14-10 Lions. I am very excited for the season and can't wait until the Cuse come to town. Maybe we will win our first true night game in Kinnick after starting out 0-2 against Miami and OSU.

GO HAWKS!!!!
This post was edited on 7/19 1:26 PM by OlatheHawkIif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Re: Al Gore's picks

Iowa vs NIU; good B10 teams beat good MAC teams without much drama. Iowa 35-13
Syr vs Iowa; close for a half but defense carries us. Iowa 27-10
Iowa vs. ISU Major repair work on both ISU lines. Iowa 31-13
Iowa vs. Wis. Best foe on the schedule. Wisky 23-10
Ind vs. Iowa IU reeling from loss of TH. Iowa starting to gel. Iowa 38-21
Iowa vs PSU Very physical game with lots of defense. PSU 13-7
Ill vs Iowa Hawks struggle but win 24-21
Iowa vs Purdue. Iowa plays it's best game.. Tiller's last season. Iowa 34-17
MSU vs Iowa. Iowa pulls away late 23-10
Iowa vs NU Iowa exorcises NU demons. Iowa 45-10
Minn vs Iowa Floyd comes home. Iowa 42-13
WMU vs Iowa. MAC division champs hang around till 4th. Iowa 28-17

10-2

Originally posted by wlcsqd:
Not Iowa related, but I predict ND gets blown out in their undeserving BCS bowl appearance.
That actually COULD be Iowa related.....

x
This post was edited on 7/19 11:02 PM by HkFanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

x
This post was edited on 7/19 11:03 PM by HkFanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Northern Illinois - W 33-20
Good first game to get the offense into motion.

Syracuse - 42-7 W
Defense holds SU offense to >200 total yards.

Iowa State - 35-25 W
ISU puts up a garbage TD and a 2 Pt. Conversion to make it seem closer than it was.

Wisconsin - 23-21 L
Those pesky badgers win on a last second field goal.

Indiana - 52-24 W
Iowa offense begins to really "click".

Penn State - 24-19 W
Penn State's tough, but they won't have the offense to match us point for point.

Illinois - 49-24 W
Illinois is starting to build themselves a roster full of play-makers. Unfortunately, there's nobody coaching who's smart enough to know what to do with them.

Purdue - 32-28 L
I'm still scratching my head as to what happened last year against Purdue. It was the best I've seen an Iowa team play the boilers in a great while. Well, only a few years. (Actually, we've played Purdue pretty well recently). We executed very well last year in that game. I think this will be one of the more difficult games this year.

Michigan State - 28-14 W
MSU no longer running the Spread Offense can't hurt us.

Northwestern - 31-21 W
Gone are the days Iowa beats NW by 52 points.

Minnesota - 36-14 W
Minnesota will be better than people expect. Just not this year.

Western Michigan - 49-14 W
Iowa finishes 11-1. I'd love another crack at Texas in a BCS bowl.

This post was edited on 7/19 11:04 PM by HkFanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

9/1/07 Northern Illinois - W 38-17
9/8 - Syracuse - W 45-10
9/15 - at Iowa State - W 28-13
9/22 - at Wisconsin - L 20-23
9/29 - Indiana - W 48-35
10/6 - at Penn State - L 17-28
10/13 - Illinois - W 24-17
10/20 - at Purdue - W 35-24
10/27 - Michigan State - W 28-17
11/3 - at Northwestern - W 54-6 (I have lots and lots of contempt for NW so I hope the Hawks drub these cats.)
11/10 - Minnesota - W 34-23
11/17 - Western Michigan - W 35-14

Hawks Finish 10-2 and defend Ft. Kinnick all year long. Cap1 Bowl comes calling and Hawkeye fans show up as always with 55,000 strong in Orlando. Hawks win a hard fought match up against an LSU team that has revenge on there mind.

Originally posted by Al Gore, Technology Czar:
Purdue 38, Iowa 14 (3-5)

Al, I see you let up a little from your 5-7 prediction last winter.

I think offensively we could be explosive. Seasoned RBs to lead the running game. Speed at WR with DJK and others. I'm not sold on our dee line. I think they will be the weak link. I hope to see tremendous improvement in our special team return game. I see loss at Wiscy and Penn ST. 10-2.. A bowl in Florida.

Win - 9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field)
Win - 9/8 - Syracuse
Win - 9/15 - at Iowa State
Win - 9/22 - at Wisconsin
Win - 9/29 - Indiana
Loss - 10/6 - at Penn State
Win - 10/13 - Illinois
Loss - 10/20 - at Purdue
Win - 10/27 - Michigan State
Win - 11/3 - at Northwestern
Win - 11/10 - Minnesota
Win - 11/17 - Western Michigan

Regular season 10-2

Finish 11-2 Ranked in top 20 with win over Georgia in the Cap One bowl.

Originally posted by MAXIMUSHAWKEYE:
I think offensively we could be explosive. Seasoned RBs to lead the running game. Speed at WR with DJK and others. I'm not sold on our dee line. I think they will be the weak link. I hope to see tremendous improvement in our special team return game. I see loss at Wiscy and Penn ST. 10-2.. A bowl in Florida.

There is defintely some speed at WR. Lets hope KOK can utilize all of Iowa's weapons. I'm afraid we will see the same conservative, predictable offense this season.

Iowa vs. NIU (42-10) W
Iowa vs Syracuse (37-7) W
Iowa vs Iowa State (27-10) W
Iowa vs Wisconsin (17-13) W
Iowa vs. Indiana (42-24) W
Iowa vs. Penn State (13-6) W
Iowa vs. Illinois (31-10) W
Iowa vs. Purdue (17-27) L
Iowa vs. Michigan State (31-17)W
Iowa vs Northwestern (45-14) W
Iowa vs Minnesota (38-17) W
Iowa vs. Western Michigan (31-13)W

My prediction is 11-1 with a birth in the BCS. Some may think Im crazy, but there isnt a single game on the schedule Iowa doesnt have a decent chance to win. Thats my prediction and Im sticking with it. I'll see everyone in Pasadena

9/1 - Northern Illinois (at Soldier Field) W
9/8 - Syracuse W
9/15 - at Iowa State L
9/22 - at Wisconsin L
9/29 - Indiana W
10/6 - at Penn State L
10/13 - Illinois L
10/20 - at Purdue L
10/27 - Michigan State W
11/3 - at Northwestern W
11/10 - Minnesota W

7-5

Originally posted by DougE88:

Originally posted by Al Gore, Technology Czar:
Purdue 38, Iowa 14 (3-5)

Al, I see you let up a little from your 5-7 prediction last winter./images/smilies/3dgrin.gif

My optimism about our offense increased slightly after the spring game.

9-3 - losses to Wisky, PSU and either Purdue or Northern Ill. (I'm a little worried Jake might be too hyped up for that one in his home town ... if he plays real well, then I like our chances all year).

-Iowa 24, NIU 17: Iowa comes out tight because every member of the team and the staff is believing that NIU is a very good opponent, we play tight with the foot on the brake the entire game. Fortunately, NIU is not good, and the home crowd allows the Hawkeyes to hang on.

-Iowa 38, Syracuse 16: Iowa comes out and plays well in front of the night crowd.

-Iowa 24, ISU 21: Much like Syracuse, the entire team will believe that it will take 60 minutes of mistake-free football in order to win, so the Hawkeyes play tight, and try to play field position football. Fortunately, ISU is bad enough that it won't matter.

-Wisconsin 23, Iowa 17: Wisconsin is just a little better on both lines. Jake has a couple of costly turnovers---first big road game.

-Iowa 38, Indiana 21: Coach Hoeppner's fire and resiliance was the biggest thing they had going for them and sadly, he is no longer around. Hawks roll and DJK has a big game.

-Penn State 34, Iowa 20: Anthony Morelli has all day to throw and has a big game. Jake plays much better, and starts to look comfortable playing a Big Ten road game.

-Iowa 34, Illinois 24: Juice will make some plays, but the Hawkeye offense is too much for the Illini. Young and Sims run wild.

-Purdue 38, Iowa 27: Painter, Lymon, Bryant and the gang have a field day in WL. The young Iowa offense continues to play well, getting fans very excited for 2008.

-Iowa 28, Michigan State 13: The Hawkeye defense plays well. Big game for Jake.

-Northwestern 34, Iowa 30: Until I see any different, how can I predict anything different?

-Iowa 42, Minnesota 20: Young and Sims each go for over 100 and Jake has a nice day through the air.

-Iowa 31, WMU 17: Nothing like Senior Day against WMU. Damian Sims ends his Kinnick career with a long touchdown run, and Iowa secures a bid in the Champs Sports Bowl. Michigan goes BCS, Ohio State to the Cap One (they don't want Wiscy again) Wisconsin to the Outback, and Penn State to the Alamo.

8-4, Champs Sports Bowl. A lot of promise for 2008, but overall, a disappointing and stale season. I hope I'm wrong, but I need to see something to show me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT