ADVERTISEMENT

Potential 2024 presidential candidate Mike Pence putting $400,000 behind Iowa 3rd District TV ad

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Sounds like a pretty stupid ad:

Former Vice President Mike Pence's political advocacy group is putting more than $400,000 into TV ads in Iowa's 3rd Congressional District as part of a broader $10 million ad campaign, the group said.

It's also a notable effort by Pence, who has been a frequent visitor to Iowa, as he seeks to make inroads in the first-in-the-nation caucus state ahead of a possible run for president in 2024.

Advancing American Freedom is launching the ad, which was filmed in the district, on cable and digital. It opens with U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg talking about the transition to electric vehicles before transitioning to a man in a farm field next to a large pickup truck.

"Guys like me don't want an expensive electric vehicle that is made with Chinese batteries," he says. "We love our American made trucks, and we want them to run on affordable American made energy."

The ad touches on a common campaign talking point for Iowa Republicans, who decry Democratic President Joe Biden's focus on policies intended to tackle climate change.

Incumbent Democratic U.S. Rep. Cindy Axne is seeking to fend off a challenge by Republican state Sen. Zach Nunn. Both candidates have made passage of the Inflation Reduction Act, which directs more than $300 billion toward climate initiatives, a central part of their campaigns, with Axne touting its potential benefits and Nunn decrying its possible downfalls.

More:Are Biden's policies a 'benefit for all' or a bane in 'the old pocketbook?' 3rd District rivals disagree

Pence has endorsed Nunn and, according to the Wall Street Journal, called to personally congratulate him on his primary victory in June. Earlier this month, Pence appeared with Nunn at the Iowa State Fair where he campaigned with other Iowa Republicans and glad-handed with fairgoers.

Pence is scary. I appreciate his dedication to his faith, but he wears it on his sleeve in his political life. I have this image of him needing to make a decision, and trying to find a relative scripture verse for guidance. Um, no thanks.

Pence is scary. I appreciate his dedication to his faith, but he wears it on his sleeve in his political life. I have this image of him needing to make a decision, and trying to find a relative scripture verse for guidance. Um, no thanks.

Same here,.. Politically I like Pence, but he's so overly religious that it makes me nervous.

The praying over the drug needle exchange program is how he'd govern.

ADVERTISEMENT