Mgkcbb

Rookie
Apr 2, 2016
Isiah Moss

Last season
39% from 3 on 4 attempts per game
88% FT shooter
1.9 assists/1.2 turnovers per game.

Could see him having a Jok/Marble like breakout for Iowa next season. At 6'6 with his athleticism, with his shooting ability, and two years of experience now, no reason he can't be one of the best guards in the conference.

Decision making and defense should improve this year since it started really coming along towards the second half of last year.

He only had more than 1 turnover in 5 of his last 18 games, and all five of those games he only had 2 turnovers. He had multiple 3 and 4 turnover games his first 14 games last year so he clearly made strides in that area the second half of the season.

There's a whole lot to like about his game.

I watched his interview about the NBA process. And I know I probably wouldn't handle interviews very well, but man, he needs to get some more enthusiasm. Aggressive, confident, excitement about the coming season, all things I didn't hear in that interview from him.

Reactions: Iowa210
He has to tighten up his handle. He struggles to create for himself because his handle is so weak. I think he’s probably better off trying to replicate Jok’s game (spot up shooter, move off curls) and add some cutting and transition rather than try to play like Marble who had an NBA quality handle and could create for himself and others attacking the basket.

Isiah Moss

Last season
88% FT shooter

Could see him having a Jok/Marble like breakout for Iowa next season. At 6'6 with his athleticism, with his shooting ability, and two years of experience now, no reason he can't be one of the best guards in the conference.

Decision making and defense should improve this year since it started really coming along towards the second half of last year.

He only had more than 1 turnover in 5 of his last 18 games, and all five of those games he only had 2 turnovers. He had multiple 3 and 4 turnover games his first 14 games last year so he clearly made strides in that area the second half of the season.

Shooting nearly 40% from 3 is pretty dang good. Shooting 88% from the FT line is really good.....so, he obviously needs to shoot more and be more aggressive going to the basket and drawing fouls.

If he reduces turnovers (good info from the OP!) and becomes more aggressive he has the ability to be a very efficient player offensively. This young man has tremendous ability but it really does come down to his mental approach to the game. My wild azz guess is that this is a young man who takes a step forward this year, might not be huge, but is then in for a big senior year.

He is capable of being a good defensive player....long and athletic, but if he gets more aggressive on defense does he have trouble with foul issues?

Hoping this young man is starting to get it mentally and starting to feel comfortable and confident.

I expect some improvement, but not a breakout. He has all of the tools to be a good college player every night. But he doesn’t have the killer instinct to make it happen. He has 2nd round draft pick talent but doesn’t have the make it happen desire to show he belongs there on the court.

Hopefully he proves me wrong this year, but that killer instinct is typically something you’re born with not something that you can develop.

He's shown ability in spurts at times.

And he's often disappeared in games.

Unlike some on the roster, his athletic ability appears comparable to his B1G counterparts.

He needs to show more consistency, aggression/intensity, play some semblance of perimeter D, and stronger handles off the bounce.

I'll believe a breakout year at the end of the season when we can review the entirety of the year's performance. As with the purported emphasis on team defense, we've heard this before and it rings somewhat hollow when compared with what has actually happened on court.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Moss is a good pick. He has the potential. If he can stay consistent, on the good side, and pickup the pace on D & rebounding. He will be a huge asset...

My pick is Maishe. If he can get the weight and stay aggressive, he could be that player we need to drive the ball. Then finish or dish.

Isiah Moss

Last season
88% FT shooter

Lots of guys on this team have the potential to improve drastically. That is good and bad. My unconventional pick is Nicholas Baer. Last year he got off on the wrong track with the hand injury and never really got his game together. As a sophomore he showed that Aaron White-like ability to be everywhere and make plays to take over brief stretches of a game and energize his teammates. I think as a senior he will be on a mission.

After last year, a lot of guys could step up a lot.

I was expecting a LOT more from Moss last year, because he has the physical skills to score more and play much more aggressively on defense. In terms of skills, as mentioned, he needs to work on his ball handling. He could be a real weapon if he was a threat to drive or shoot the 3.

Baer will never be a star, but I think he is a lot better than what we saw last year. Fran needs to put him into situations where he is the match up they want, mostly against a bigger 3 or at the 4, where it is very crowded.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Nunge, who I believe has much more than we have seen. Playing him at the 3, at least against guard types, really put him in the wrong place. This is a guy who could be our best 4 his last two years.

I think Dailey will help cover the 2 or 3, and will continue to improve, but I don't see a star. If nothing else, he should allow Moss and JoeW to play aggressively, and not worry that much about foul trouble. I think he will play with much more confidence, and hopefully he will be stronger.

I do not see huge improvements from JBo, Cook or Garza offensively. I hope that we will at least see better defense from all 3. For Cook it is mostly an effort problem IMO. For Garza, he needs to better understand positioning and be smarter at how to establish it.

If one of Conners strengths is passing, maybe that will help several of our players improve their. If they get the ball in the right place they may be able to get their shots off and help their confidence.

If one of Conners strengths is passing, maybe that will help several of our players improve their. If they get the ball in the right place they may be able to get their shots off and help their confidence.
In the very short time we were able to see him on the court what stood out was his understanding of ball movement and player positioning on offense.
So, yes, I would expect him to boost his teammates confidence as they should be more organized in their half court sets when he is on the floor.

I expect some improvement, but not a breakout. He has all of the tools to be a good college player every night. But he doesn’t have the killer instinct to make it happen. He has 2nd round draft pick talent but doesn’t have the make it happen desire to show he belongs there on the court.

Hopefully he proves me wrong this year, but that killer instinct is typically something you’re born with not something that you can develop.

I don't think Moss has 2nd round NBA talent....he's not anywhere close to being as good as All B1G players like Jok or Uthoff and neither of those guys were drafted. In Moss I see a decent athlete, decent shooter, decent finisher on break, poor dribble drive scoring game in 1/2 court, below average handles, below average defense, maybe honorable mention B1G level player.

Dailey might surpass Moss this year.

In the very short time we were able to see him on the court what stood out was his understanding of ball movement and player positioning on offense.
So, yes, I would expect him to boost his teammates confidence as they should be more organized in their half court sets when he is on the floor.
I agree with this. I also think that playing a true 3 most of the time will improve the Hawks on both ends. If JoeW is as good as advertised and both Moss and Dailey are better, we could be a lot better at the 2 and 3.

Isaiah reminds me of Josh Richardson formerly of the Tennessee Vols now plays for Miami. Hope he continues making strides in the confidence department.

I don't think Moss has 2nd round NBA talent....he's not anywhere close to being as good as All B1G players like Jok or Uthoff and neither of those guys were drafted. In Moss I see a decent athlete, decent shooter, decent finisher on break, poor dribble drive scoring game in 1/2 court, below average handles, below average defense, maybe honorable mention B1G level player.

Dailey might surpass Moss this year.

If Moss does not step it up, I believe that Dailey will surpass Moss.

Neither play with much confidence, need one of them to step up. Moss has the talent but does he have the desire. If he doesn't, he will lose his starting spot to a freshman.

All interesting thoughts on who will break out! Breakout is a strong word.

Breakout:
Team flow & chemistry due to having CMac backing up JB. Better flow & chemistry will fuel better D.

Here is the order and what I think we will see the most consistant improvement in:

1 Cook:
mid-range shooting, handles, better on D (sweet looking shot)
2 Garza: Consistency on both ends will lead to more finishes and FT's.
3 Pemsl: mid-range shot will surprise
4 Nunge: shooting and D
5 Kriener: passing
6 Expect everyone else to improve their individual games

Last edited:
Isiah Moss

Last season
88% FT shooter

Moss or Dailey.need to step up a BIG step.pleese.And if nothing hard defense Ask AW...

If Moss does not step it up, I believe that Dailey will surpass Moss.

The good news is that both Dailey and Moss have tremendous ability....the question as I see it is can they capitalize on that talent by improving skills, understanding how to be successful on the court, and adopting the assertiveness and aggressiveness to do that.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
All interesting thoughts on who will break out! Breakout is a strong word.

Breakout:
Team flow & chemistry due to having CMac backing up JB. Better flow & chemistry will fuel better D.

Here is the order and what I think we will see the most consistant improvement in:

1 Cook:
mid-range shooting, handles, better on D (sweet looking shot)
2 Garza: Consistency on both ends will lead to more finishes and FT's.
3 Pemsl: mid-range shot wil surprise
4 Nunge: shooting and D
5 Kriener: passing
6 Expect everyone else to improve their individual games

You simply listed what each player needs to work on improving most.

I hope you’re right.

I agree for the most part. I see the talent, but Moss doesn't bring the intensity that could make him special. In looking back at Uthoff though, it wasn't until his redshirt Jr year that he started being consistently good, and his Sr year he was an All-American. I haven't given up on Moss yet, but I wouldn't pick him as the breakout player either. I just haven't seen the spark yet to believe it will happen.

We need someone to wants to play D and go all out doing it. IF anyone of a number of guys is willing to set the tone on the D end they will likely be well on their way to a breakout season, because they will get minutes.

The lack of "want to" by last years team was getting real old by season's end. There were some guys that I can't remember diving on the floor one time all season.

He had a better sophmore year statistically than Jok. He's not 6'6" and his defense never came along.

There is room for improvement by every player on the roster, of course. Certainly no one has peaked.

If JBo can get his plantar fasciitis under control, I think he will have a much better all around game this year. I've had plantar fasciitis in my life, and it's hard to play golf, let alone basketball. JBo will never be described as an explosive player, but his first step on offense and defense will definitely improve if his feet don't hurt.

Garza has that star quality you'd hope to find in every player. Fearless, tireless and gifted. If he can improve his footwork on offense and defense he's going to make a lot of noise.

To be above .500 in the B1G in 18-19, Iowa needs,

1. Someone (or a couple) that can break down the defense and score. It can be from any position on the floor, but you can't have the opposing defense simply guard the 3.

2. Rim protection. I am so tired of the other team doing layup drills during the game.

3. Much better ball security. Last year was the worst I've ever seen. Especially those that lead to dunks on the other end.

Effectively improving #2 and #3 will make the defense "look" better, even if it isn't much better.

Any Hawkeye success starts and ends with Moss. If he is doing well, the team should be.

Isiah Moss

Last season
88% FT shooter

How about this? The one position I want to see the most improvement from is the 3.

Between the available players of Moss, Weiskamp and Dailey (am I missing someone) I want to see real consistent scoring, rebounding and defense. I think all 3 are good passers, too. I want to see them prosper in transition.

I think the teams success can be gauged here.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
How about this? The one position I want to see the most improvement from is the 3.

Between the available players of Moss, Weiskamp and Dailey (am I missing someone) I want to see real consistent scoring, rebounding and defense. I think all 3 are good passers, too. I want to see them prosper in transition.

Nicholas Baer too

Moss or Dailey.need to step up a BIG step.pleese.And if nothing hard defense Ask AW...

Robbie Hummel on BTN did a summer preview of teams earlier this summer. He brought up an excellent point said if Cook, Moss and Dailey step up on the defensive end of the floor that Iowa could be a surprise a lot of people with a nice bounce back year. Went on to say everything that has been talked about since the end of the season here about defense and how bad it was last season. Add those guys in with an ever improving Garza in the middle could mean a world of difference.

Robbie Hummel on BTN did a summer preview of teams earlier this summer. He brought up an excellent point said if Cook, Moss and Dailey step up on the defensive end of the floor that Iowa could be a surprise a lot of people with a nice bounce back year. Went on to say everything that has been talked about since the end of the season here about defense and how bad it was last season. Add those guys in with an ever improving Garza in the middle could mean a world of difference.
Agree. BASIC "D" can be done with desire.AW??? On the same page.Starts with Top and goes from there.Go Hawks.

Some take aways from these two posts.....

1) I don't think the defense can be worse than last year...literally, that might be nearly impossible.
2) It's quite possible that Moss and Dailey do take a step forward...along with an upgrade in Joe W....that could be a big deal-net positive.
3) Garza really had a hell of a good year for a freshman center...really good. If he just gets stronger and plays better defense it should be a real positive.
4) A nice bounce back year is certainly possible and obviously not guaranteed.

I look at the addition of Joe W. and see some of the stuff on Dailey in the off season and think we will be better at the 2/3. I think that Cook will play better (and he was pretty good) even if that is just reducing turnovers. I think that a healthy Connor and JB and the PG position will be improved.....start feeling pretty positive about next year and then I watch some games from last year like the Purdue game at home and get cold chills....very sobering.

I can't wait for the season to start.

Reactions: keosauquahawk

Some take aways from these two posts.....

1) I don't think the defense can be worse than last year...literally, that might be nearly impossible.
2) It's quite possible that Moss and Dailey do take a step forward...along with an upgrade in Joe W....that could be a big deal-net positive.
3) Garza really had a hell of a good year for a freshman center...really good. If he just gets stronger and plays better defense it should be a real positive.
4) A nice bounce back year is certainly possible and obviously not guaranteed.

I look at the addition of Joe W. and see some of the stuff on Dailey in the off season and think we will be better at the 2/3. I think that Cook will play better (and he was pretty good) even if that is just reducing turnovers. I think that a healthy Connor and JB and the PG position will be improved.....start feeling pretty positive about next year and then I watch some games from last year like the Purdue game at home and get cold chills....very sobering.

I can't wait for the season to start.

I wouldn't count on a big leap forward in defense, but a finger in the dyke is better than what happened last year. Stop allowing the "freebies". When it looks that easy, it is.

Am confident, minus injury, that we'll be fine at point guard. Even better. Way better. How's that for confidence?

The 4 and 5 need to be imposing if the ball makes it that close to the rim. A coordinated effort to limit even some of the easy looks is an improvement. And rebound, rebound, rebound.

Reactions: jasonrann
I wouldn't count on a big leap forward in defense, but a finger in the dyke is better than what happened last year. Stop allowing the "freebies". When it looks that easy, it is.

Am confident, minus injury, that we'll be fine at point guard. Even better. Way better. How's that for confidence?

The 4 and 5 need to be imposing if the ball makes it that close to the rim. A coordinated effort to limit even some of the easy looks is an improvement. And rebound, rebound, rebound.

We were so bad on defense last year that any improvement should be significant......some level of limiting dribble penetration, fewer missed assignments (better rotations) leading to fewer wide open shots, and fewer turnovers resulting in dunks and layups.

He has to tighten up his handle. He struggles to create for himself because his handle is so weak. I think he’s probably better off trying to replicate Jok’s game (spot up shooter, move off curls) and add some cutting and transition rather than try to play like Marble who had an NBA quality handle and could create for himself and others attacking the basket.

Joks bread and butter was high screen action with the ball in his hands. He actually wasn't very good at getting open off of the ball.

Agreed Moss handle needs huge improvement, he really cant go anywhere with it as it stands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT