ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Cardiac Damage to College Football Players from COVID-19

Chalkdaddy94

All-Conference
Mar 19, 2011
Iowa City
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-causes-heart-damage-healthy-people.html

This is exactly why athletes and everyone in general should be taking COVID-19 very seriously and stop comparing it to the flu. It’s not just the number of deaths immediately caused from the virus, but also the potential long-term cardiac damage and heart related deaths that could come in the future.

Players should 100% be concerned about this impacting them in their potential future sports careers and lives in general. Of course we need to do more research on this, but these initial findings are very concerning and definitely cause for extreme caution.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...vid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

This is exactly why athletes and everyone in general should be taking COVID-19 very seriously and stop comparing it to the flu. It’s not just the number of deaths immediately caused from the virus, but also the potential long-term cardiac damage and heart related deaths that could come in the future.

Players should 100% be concerned about this impacting them in their potential future sports careers and lives in general. Of course we need to do more research on this, but these initial findings are very concerning and definitely cause for extreme caution.
Meh, too late for that information now....

Let them decide for themselves, they are adults. And they will be at more risk not playing than playing.

Most viral infections cause temporary cardiac inflammation.
This is partially true. With the flu it is thought to be rare (less than 10% of cases). The concern is that with COVID it looks like it is much higher than this.

I think the key here will be getting a vaccine out ASAP. This will equip your immune system with some T-cells that are designed to specifically fight off the COVID-19 virus, thus hopefully leading to a lower chance of cardiac damage (which from my understanding is most likely coming from your own immune system’s response to the presence of the virus.

Anyone over the age of 18 should be able to make their own decision, and if young adults and coaches want to play, I say let them play. To be honest, it's really hard in this country to know what is going on depending on what news channel, and which expert doctors you listen to. Politics, in news, politics in sports, politics in Covid. I miss the days when there was just the news and not everyone had an agenda.

Michael Ojo, former FSU basketball player (age 25) died 3 days ago in Belgrade, Serbia, during a practice, of heart attack. He had just recovered from coronavirus. Might be unrelated, but too close not to suspect at least.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
Let them decide for themselves, they are adults. And they will be at more risk not playing than playing.
This. if they are playing they will be tested twice per week, and the medical staff will be on the lookout for complications like myocarditis. If they aren't playing football their access to the medical people is likely diminished and they would be at a greater risk for complications going undetected. . Give them a chance to play, it can always be shutdown if necessary. Go Hawks !

Reactions: Simbahawk4
So if there is no football is everyone going into quarantine then?
It's the only thing that makes sense.

Get back under your beds...no, not just you who are in nursing homes. All of America...even those who are at almost no risk.

Doing that ourselves and demanding it of others will then show others how virtuous we are.

This is partially true. With the flu it is thought to be rare (less than 10% of cases). The concern is that with COVID it looks like it is much higher than this.

I think the key here will be getting a vaccine out ASAP. This will equip your immune system with some T-cells that are designed to specifically fight off the COVID-19 virus, thus hopefully leading to a lower chance of cardiac damage (which from my understanding is most likely coming from your own immune system’s response to the presence of the virus.
Myocarditis is an issue when it goes undetected. Not when you are under constant medical observation. When identified it is quite manageable and most of the time you have it is so mild you are just tired.

Reactions: Legs94

I might get hit by lightning tomorrow also should I stay indoors

Is it over for every business that’s lost an employee who got sick while at work? How do you prove they got sick while playing football? Or in the grocery store, at the gas station, from their family etc.

My thinking is that does any school want to be first one to have a student-athlete die?

These are the same people willing to let players scramble their brains with concussions and CTE, but now they are worried about inflammation? Something isn’t making sense.

There is not a lot rational about this. Basically no one wants to do anything that has even the hint of the possibility of risk. By the standard of some unknown threat to heart conditions from COVID, shouldn't sports be cancelled forever and everyone stay in their homes forever? I mean, if it saves just one life...

Reactions: unclesammy

Another chicken little putting all their eggs in the magical vaccine basket.

Regardless of what optimistic rumors you’re hearing, there isn’t a truly viable vaccine on the horizon, so get ready to watch football re-runs on BTN for the next 18 months.

Btw, why are basketball players at less of a risk?

or baseball players?

or hockey players?

or MMA fighters?

They are all out there competing right now...voluntarily. If this long term health risk was actually real (supported by more than a few cases) I strongly suspect it wouldn’t matter how much they’re getting paid right now to play. At least 90% of them would immediately stop.

This whole thing reeks of paranoia or politics or both.

Another chicken little putting all their eggs in the magical vaccine basket.

Regardless of what optimistic rumors you’re hearing, there isn’t a truly viable vaccine on the horizon, so get ready to watch football re-runs on BTN for the next 18 months.

Btw, why are basketball players at less of a risk?

or baseball players?

or hockey players?

or MMA fighters?

They are all out there competing right now...voluntarily. If this long term health risk was actually real (supported by more than a few cases) I strongly suspect it wouldn’t matter how much they’re getting paid right now to play. At least 90% of them would immediately stop.

This whole thing reeks of paranoia or politics or both.

Yeah it doesn't make any sense. Notice how now that the stratified data by age that was published on Aug. 1 finally came out (which shows that for those age 24 and under, you are many magnitudes more likely to die from a car accident and somewhat more likely to die from influenza than COVID), the argument has now shifted to this mysterious long-term lung/heart damage. Which of course can't be proven one way or the other at this time, so the argument gets to be pushed that we need to cancel due to precaution.

As you pointed out, how about people be given the ability to make a decision based on their comfort with the risk? This is not analogous to coaches/trainers pulling a concussed player out of a game and now allowing them to go back in the game. There is far more data/science to support keeping a concussed player out of a game than preventing people from playing at all due to some possible health risk.

Several weeks ago I read a report where they did autopsies on 50-60 people who died of Covid. Some died from heart attacks that appeared to be from myocardia (?). Upon the autopsy they found absolutely no trace of it in the heart. There were other proteins that shouldn't be there I think. Also strange proteins in other organs like brain and kidneys. They suspicion was those in the brain are what caused memory and smell/taste issues in some people. This virus is just strange. Anyway, I don't think the lingering effects are a major problem

It takes years to properly develop and test a vaccine (or any other drug) for safety and efficacy.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Of course not. The only people quarantined thus far have been the sick and those with potential exposure. No one else has been confined to their residences.
You said the risk is to coaches and other non players that the players will interact with. Unless Kirk is quarantined in a no football environment he will face a like risk if football is a go. Coach Ferentz is still going to the grocery store, getting gas, going into the office, working the donors, etc.

The point being there is not a risk free option no matter how hard they try to find one. The difference is that with football the players get the appropriate care, nutrition etc.

Reactions: unclesammy
You said the risk is to coaches and other non players that the players will interact with. Unless Kirk is quarantined in a no football environment he will face a like risk if football is a go. Coach Ferentz is still going to the grocery store, getting gas, going into the office, working the donors, etc.

The point being there is not a risk free option no matter how hard they try to find one. The difference is that with football the players get the appropriate care, nutrition etc.
No, I didn't say that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT