ADVERTISEMENT

Pottebaum

I gave him a shoutout in the Top 5 players of the game thread after Michigan state and he’s only gotten better from there

Fullback is a rather insane position and he plays it with no fear. He’s honestly a hell of an athlete, he’s like a rocket shot out of his stance.

most teams are soft as hell these days, and Iowa sticking to its physical style of play has benefited them greatly.

just seeing Pottebaum on the field has to make linebackers and safeties nervous

Pottebaum is a freaking tank..... that TD by Goodson, Pottebaum lead the way and #1 from PSU didn't want none of Potte and just tried to side step him so he didn't get hit 😅

On the QB sneak touchdown he blasted into Petras’s back to push the pile into the endzone. Not sure we make it in on that play without that.

Fullback is a rather insane position and he plays it with no fear. He’s honestly a hell of an athlete, he’s like a rocket shot out of his stance.

most teams are soft as hell these days, and Iowa sticking to its physical style of play has benefited them greatly.

just seeing Pottebaum on the field has to make linebackers and safeties nervous

Agree with some teams are soft these days. You could see the PSU defenders brace for impact when Pottebaum was readying the boom. Its's not like Pottebaum is an elite blocker either he just lowers the shoulders and hits really hard. They could have dipped their shoulders and still got a hand, arm or shoulder on the ball carrier but instead they just balled up and took a hit. IDK maybe coaches were just teaching us to be kamikazes back in my day but their was a lot more sacrificing your body back then. Major props to Pottebaum. Love those FB players that love to hit. The Iowa D has a few of the players right now and they're all young and will be around a few more years.

What is the name of the previous FB escaping me? Did he graduate? Has Pott been in since week 1?

Last edited:
‘Brady Ross graduated.
Hep, and this guy reminds me of Drake Kulick. That was one crazy MFer. Remember when he broke his leg and they were carting him off, while he's yelling at his team mates they better not F------- lose this game..... PRICELESS!

My personal favorite was Paul Kujawa....

Add in Sweet Lou Montgomery!

Love listening to the voice of the Packers Wayne Larivee when he used to do college games on tv and radio. Great announcer.

I remember mid/late ‘80s team with a dual fullback threat. David Hudson and Richard Bass. Might be wrong, but thought Bass was the player Hayden called a “rolling ball of butcher knives”.

The most recent in a lineage of blocking beasts...and he has a classic name for the position

We need a Monte Pottebaum thread, he has been blowing it up at Fullback as the lead blocker...
Monte is an excellent athlete who is a good runner and can catch the ball out of the backfield too. He has a lot of the same attributes that Brady Ross had. We are lucky to have him .

He has to be on the all name team too...Monte Pottebaum is just a great fullback name.

Reactions: hawkandroll
He really has two great things going for him:
1) He's a fearless beast.
2) With the fluidity of blocking assignments, he seems to be really good at finding the right guy to take out.

I really like watching him play and he's a huge factor in our success running the ball. Tying up a player in the FB role can really hurt you...unless you've got someone like Pottebaum. Then it's a massive asset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT