ADVERTISEMENT

Practice nuggets..

I love everything that works and I hate everything that doesn’t! and I’d say I’m pretty representative of almost everybody… I’m just a little more honest about it.

I love A third & 1 one fade, when it works I absolutely loath it when it doesn’t, and so on and so on and so on and so on….
Give me $1 and I will tell you what happened yesterday and everything you should have done different.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Budmayr : So as an unpaid volunteer coach, I assume that means he can discuss things directly with the players without the constraints imposed on a consultant. There have been several comments about Budmyar having direct interactions with players in the past couple of weeks. If so, nice move by KF.
Probably staying in Brian’s old room at Kirk and Mary’s.

Understand the gist of what you’re saying, but still think despite a 49% completion rate, it’s kinda hard to say that Padilla failed in any sense when his meaningful minutes always resulted in Hawk wins. We can’t exactly say the same for Petras, pointing at the last half of the season plus bowl game. And before too many of my fellow Hawk fans jump and point out Padilla’s wobbly balls, or other insignificant deficiencies while winning games in 2021, please remember his completion percentage was 67% in high school, so given the adequate support of OL and less drops, I firmly believe that given ENOUGH of a chance (as SP was given), Alex will lead us to the B10 Championship game again, because his QB play alone will not be the reason we lose games, if we lose games.
Lol. So Spence gets blamed for not great game when Hawks win but hey guys don’t say the same when Alex does it.

Lol. So Spence gets blamed for not great game when Hawks win but hey guys don’t say the same when Alex does it.
I don't really understand why people argue about who the tallest midget in the room is. Neither player has shown yet that they can be particularly effective in leading the team's offense. Hopefully someone emerges because if neither improves significantly over last year the offense will again be offensive.

I don't really understand why people argue about who the tallest midget in the room is. Neither player has shown yet that they can be particularly effective in leading the team's offense. Hopefully someone emerges because if neither improves significantly over last year the offense will again be offensive.

In my opinion and it’s almost a subconscious type of thing with being right or wrong and just the kind of mental make up you have, but…

Many of these guys are so out loud with their opinions and so hostile and negative. That at this point in time they can’t hardly even pull for Spencer Petras to be the quarterback & since they haven’t seen enough of Padilla he is automatically better because Spencer is in capable of improving at the ripe age of 22…Doh!! Hard to believe I know.

They also know if Padilla isn’t the answer then we better as hell hope the red shirt freshman who has never played is…

It really is a self-limiting thought process but let’s be honest….angry, hostile men on a message board doesn’t reek of being objective or deep thinking, right?

In my opinion and it’s almost a subconscious type of thing with being right or wrong and just the kind of mental make up you have, but…

Many of these guys are so out loud with their opinions and so hostile and negative. That at this point in time they can’t hardly even pull for Spencer Petras to be the quarterback & since they haven’t seen enough of Padilla he is automatically better because Spencer is in capable of improving at the ripe age of 22…Doh!! Hard to believe I know.

They also know if Padilla isn’t the answer then we better as hell hope the red shirt freshman who has never played is…

It really is a self-limiting thought process but let’s be honest….angry, hostile men on a message board doesn’t reek of being objective or deep thinking, right?
I agree with most of this but then why argue with them about it? The offense had multiple issues last year, but when given the opportunity neither one shined. Petras has had more time in the system and now a lot of starts under his belt. He didn't really improve and played pretty poorly so a lot of people are ready for something different. Padilla has had fewer opportunities so these same people are hoping that he has more room to grow. There's really no other option because the organization has made it sound like Labas isn't ready meaning he's probably a year away from a real opportunity to play.

I agree with most of this but then why argue with them about it? The offense had multiple issues last year, but when given the opportunity neither one shined. Petras has had more time in the system and now a lot of starts under his belt. He didn't really improve and played pretty poorly so a lot of people are ready for something different. Padilla has had fewer opportunities so these same people are hoping that he has more room to grow. There's really no other option because the organization has made it sound like Labas isn't ready meaning he's probably a year away from a real opportunity to play.

Agreed… The only issue I really ever take with them is their presentation and just the constant consistency of it all. We get it the quarterback sucked, and they really did and we also get that the offense in totality sucked, but really this isn't a new phenomenon.

And if your opinion is (not you) well that’s why we are constantly complaining about it….the problem is the head coach and the head coach for all intents & purpose, has done a terrific job for 20+ years and has dramatically improved the team‘s long-term upside, in my humble opinion, in just the last five years …

We’re not likely to get “everything nice“ nobody else does unless you’re Alabama or Ohio State of course.

So with that information in tow, we better be hoping Petras and Padilla both improved dramatically and it really is a hard decision…

Agreed… The only issue I really ever take with them is their presentation and just the constant consistency of it all. We get it the quarterback sucked, and they really did and we also get that the offense in totality sucked, but really this isn't a new phenomenon.

And if your opinion is (not you) well that’s why we are constantly complaining about it….the problem is the head coach and the head coach for all intents & purpose, has done a terrific job for 20+ years and has dramatically improved the team‘s long-term upside, in my humble opinion, in just the last five years …

We’re not likely to get “everything nice“ nobody else does unless you’re Alabama or Ohio State of course.

So with that information in tow, we better be hoping Petras and Padilla both improved dramatically and it really is a hard decision…
I agree. The last several years have definitely seen an uptick in recruiting and performance, but primarily on the defensive side of the ball. They are absolutely loaded right now and the future is really bright on that side of the ball. People are excited about it and rightfully so.

The offense on the other hand... Not so much. There is some talent but none of it has really shown out yet. We really need just competent play from Petras or Padilla and the oline to see what they can do. 🤞🤞

Or with that red jersey off😩
Good luck finding any coach who intentionally puts the qb in harms way during practice…

ive said before, I wish they would design drills meant to force the qb to throw off schedule or off balance. I’m confident Petras can make good plays…if he has a clean pocket and/or play is on schedule. Where he struggles is if things go wrong and he has to improvise.

I'm fairly confident that whoever KF decides is our starter at QB this season will undoubtedly be the guy who gives Iowa the best chance of winning the games. Period, end of story,. This insistence by some that KF plays favorites due to some loyalty code or other conspiratorial factor by the nattering nabobs is pure unadulterated hogwash. Every year it's the same BS from a segment of our fanbase, the other QBs not playing are the best QBs we have. Guess what? They're almost always wrong about that.

SP meaningful minutes first 6 games of 2021, Hawks were 6-0. Spence = certainly does enough to remain QB1. Last 8 games of 2021 SP’s meaningful minutes, Hawks were 1-4. IMO, I want to see more of the guy whose meaningful minutes resulted in Hawks 3-0 record in 2021, just saying….

My guess is he is still being paid by CSU this Spring, since HC was fired. Maybe will make him paid consultant later.
Wouldn’t be surprised if this is a tryout of sorts as well, like you I won’t be surprised if he gets a paid job in the fall.

Reactions: haightt

So very true. Stats aren't everything but Spencer, who has bad stats, still has far better stats than Alex. Indeed, Alex wasn't close to .500 in the games he started.

The pics released, I think yesterday, show Alex still throwing sidearm with a very low point of release. I like his potential mobility, although he wouldn't run when had room to run for significant yardage. He certainly "feels" the pocket pressure better than Spencer.

In the end, however, the QBs first and most important skill is ball delivery-gotta throw accurate catchable balls. I fear Alex just cannot reliably do that. Spencer can. Not a great pair. Hence all the unusual level of unusual (for Iowa) the coaches and players are talking up Joe. Just ask yourself when was the last time Kirk Ferentz said a kid made plays that had Kirk saying "wow"?

I'm fairly confident that whoever KF decides is our starter at QB this season will undoubtedly be the guy who gives Iowa the best chance of winning the games. Period, end of story,. This insistence by some that KF plays favorites due to some loyalty code or other conspiratorial factor by the nattering nabobs is pure unadulterated hogwash. Every year it's the same BS from a segment of our fanbase, the other QBs not playing are the best QBs we have. Guess what? They're almost always wrong about that.
Maybe but KF's idea of the guy who gives us the best chance to win might not be the best chance.
Politics do play a role at this level. I have first hand knowledge. So to say KF has loyalty and doesn't play favorites is a farce.

Thanks
Maybe but KF's idea of the guy who gives us the best chance to win might not be the best chance.
Politics do play a role at this level. I have first hand knowledge. So to say KF has loyalty and doesn't play favorites is a farce.

Hmmmm….. so you’re saying KF is abnormal or he’s representative of coaches in general… My experience tells me if your employees routinely think you’re unfair or are making “biased“ decisions they don’t work hard for you and they don’t have one of the best stretches in the history of their program…?!

just pointing out the obvious….

Thanks

Hmmmm….. so you’re saying KF is abnormal or he’s representative of coaches in general… My experience tells me if your employees routinely think you’re unfair or are making “biased“ decisions they don’t work hard for you and they don’t have one of the best stretches in the history of their program…?!

just pointing out the

Thanks

just pointing out the

Thanks

just pointing out the obvious….
Fair enough. I believe loyalty and safe trumps most talented in some situations

Budmayr : So as an unpaid volunteer coach, I assume that means he can discuss things directly with the players without the constraints imposed on a consultant. There have been several comments about Budmyar having direct interactions with players in the past couple of weeks. If so, nice move by KF.
Not true. Des Moines Register had a good article on just that subject. NCAA Section 11.7 spells out the rules on the 15 coaches who can have direct player contact. Budmyar is coaching Brian, not the players. He is observing and then making coaching recommendations on how to peel back the layers on a play, aka "simplify" the defensive reads a QB or receiver make to determine routes according to looks. Tremendous addition to help Kirk, Brian, and Kelton with details that they can then implement. This also helps Budmyar re-sell himself as a sought after coach. When they succeed in making the offensive cadence improve they will need to find the money to hire him or he will be moving on to an SEC program.

Fair enough. I believe loyalty and safe trumps most talented in some situations
This suggests that you know some folks on the team. You do realize that the players themselves are novices. Each of whom are themselves vying for a position.

See the video of Phil Parker ... the guys decide who play.

In all frankness, players sometimes have a tendency of being kinda stupid. In athletics ... folks revere the impressive athlete ... but in a game like football ... there are plenty of aspects where the game of football is a bit like a game of chess. Each players has a role to play ... and if they cannot be trusted or if they cannot perform their job with adequate consistency ... then they don't deserve to hold the job.

I can give you over 20 years of examples where Kirk has made or has encouraged the making of fair decisions. Those decisions don't always favor seniority either. Also, don't mistake loyalty for trust. Good teachers are loyal to all their pupils ... but they're apt to give responsibility to those who have earned TRUST.

As Coach Bell aptly said ... trust ... it's earned in drops and lost in buckets.

This suggests that you know some folks on the team. You do realize that the players themselves are novices. Each of whom are themselves vying for a position.

In all frankness, players sometimes have a tendency of being kinda stupid. In athletics ... folks revere the impressive athlete ... but in a game like football ... there are plenty of aspects where the game of football is a bit like a game of chess. Each players has a role to play ... and if they cannot be trusted or if they cannot perform their job with adequate consistency ... then they don't deserve to hold the job.

I can give you over 20 years of examples where Kirk has made or has encouraged the making of fair decisions. Those decisions don't always favor seniority either. Also, don't mistake loyalty for trust. Good teachers are loyal to all their pupils ... but they're apt to give responsibility to those who have earned TRUST.

As Coach Bell aptly said ... trust ... it's earned in drops and lost in

As Coach Bell aptly said ... trust ... it's earned in drops and lost in buckets.
Botched the first reply. I think KF loyalty has held the program back.

Reactions: DewHawk
So, basically, the unpaid help solved what KF, BF, and KOK couldn't figure out?
Not sure how you inferred that from what I said. I think it’s fair to say they’ve been able to figure out quite a bit up u til now, even if it’s not always the solution we as fans look for.

sometimes afresh perspective can help a great deal too.

I don’t mind if Labas is willing to run if it’s there. We have been willing to do that before, even with Stanley. I do want to make sure he’s not in the mindset of taking off too soon, when hanging in there would give a receiver that extra second to come open. It’s a fine line to be sure.
There's two aspects of "extending plays".
1) avoiding a sack
2) turning "disaster" into "delight"

Right now, we don't even have #1, but saying that, we really need a QB that can bring both. Just avoiding a sack is great, but we really need the guy who can avoid the sack AND still be looking downfield. The guy who just takes off as a "default" eventually creates mindset of OL risking "illegal receiver" penalties when they react by pushing downfield before QB gets rid of the ball.

Not sure how you inferred that from what I said. I think it’s fair to say they’ve been able to figure out quite a bit up u til now, even if it’s not always the solution we as fans look for.

sometimes afresh perspective can help a great deal too.
This. Nice to get feedback from a former foe. I hope that it will help to break any bad tendencies that Iowa has fallen into over the years.

BACK TO NUGGETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me, this is the key. With the exception of 2004, Iowa has always had their best seasons when they were balanced on offense and able to control clock by running the football.

All signs point to the Iowa defense being stout again this season. Can you imagine the numbers they will put up if the offense is moving the chains and controlling TOP?

How is our run game going to be? Will we be able to pick up a first down on short yardage without having to resort to a QB sneak? It would be nice to be able to depend on our running backs to pick up a yard or two when needed. Feels like it's been a while since we've been good at that.

To an extent you’re right, but it’s not that simple. Yes, at the time a quarterback is officially named the starter, it’s probably safe to assume he is most likely the best choice. However, that doesn’t account for which quarterbacks will better develop over time, as that is always an unknown. So, yes, while Kirk is going with whom he feels is the best option at the time, and just because in hindsight (e.g.) Brad Banks turned out to be much better than Kyle McCann, doesn’t necessarily mean he was in fact the better choice in 2001. We just don’t know how much Banks developed from 2001 to 2002.

I will also say, in defense of Ferentz seeming to be reluctant to change quarterbacks midway through the season, that a good reason for that is the playing field is not level, in that you’re asking a kid—who’s yet to see the field in college outside of garbage time—to come in and compete at a high level against defenses that are already in midseason form. For a quarterback with no starting experience whatsoever, that is a brutal, daunting task, especially when you consider how demanding the quarterback position is regardless of experience. So, yes, I understand why Kirk isn’t so quick just to throw in the backup because the starter is stinking up the joint. I mean, lol, look at all the games Stanley had his struggles and we were screaming for the backup—who was none other than Spencer Petras. I wonder how that would have turned out. 🤔

With all of that said, quarterback play has not been good overall for quite some time. It was pretty decent (with rare exception) in the 2000s. The 2010s and into the 2020s has been a much different story, though, where good play seems to be the exception. And I don’t think it’s as simple as Kirk “playing the wrong guy.” And I don’t think you can chalk it up to poor recruiting, either, as many of these guys came into the program somewhat heralded. I can’t speak to quarterback development, because obviously none of us are in the know (I will go out on a limb, though, and guess Brian Ferentz won’t move the needle), which then ultimately leads to the question of the offensive system itself. Is it “too complex”? Is it, as they say, the opposite of “quarterback friendly”? I don’t know. Hopefully, they are getting that figured out and adjusting accordingly.

Last, I will say in hindsight, and I emphasize hindsight, that starting Petras last season was a mistake. Was he “better” in practice than Padilla and Labas? Probably. Does that necessarily mean Petras was going to be better in actual games, especially as the season progressed? Honestly, I don’t think so. And this is where things get tricky. At some point, you have to figure out which players have higher ceilings and greater potential to have a more positive impact on the guys in the huddle. For instance, when Padilla came into the Northwestern game in relief of Petras, everything seemed to change—from the body language and energy of the other ten guys on offense to the actual plays being made. Now, did Padilla have his struggles that carried over into other games? Absolutely. But keep in mind all his opponents were in midseason form while Alex was still learning on the fly.

Ultimately, here’s the point: sometimes you have to go with the guy who has the best potential to elevate the team’s overall play and let him take his lumps early. While we will never know for sure, the Alex Padilla we saw against Illinois and Nebraska probably would have been much better and more consistent had he been the starter since week one. With Spencer Petras, we pretty much know what we’re going to get and what his ceiling is: he’s got a strong arm and is capable of throwing an accurate ball downfield but in general is erratic, wildly inaccurate, and lacks poise in the pocket while being terribly immobile. That is Petras in a nutshell and that is pretty much his ceiling and what you’re going to get with him. That is just not something that’s likely going to change regardless of how many terrific throws he makes in practice.

In short, if Joey Labas has the highest ceiling and greatest potential, that’s whom you need to go with on week one. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. With Petras, we know the results. It’s about as obvious as obvious gets.

Last edited:
To an extent you’re right, but it’s not that simple. Yes, at the time a quarterback is officially named the starter, it’s probably safe to assume he is most likely the best choice. However, that doesn’t account for which quarterbacks will better develop over time, as that is always an unknown. So, yes, while Kirk is going with whom he feels is the best option at the time, and just because in hindsight (e.g.) Brad Banks turned out to be much better than Kyle McCann, doesn’t necessarily mean he was in fact the better choice in 2001. We just don’t know how much Banks developed from 2001 to 2002.

I will also say, in defense of Ferentz seeming to be reluctant to change quarterbacks midway through the season, that a good reason for that is the playing field is not level, in that you’re asking a kid—who’s yet to see the field in college outside of garbage time—to come in and compete at a high level against defenses that are already in midseason form. For a quarterback with no starting experience whatsoever, that is a brutal, daunting task, especially when you consider how demanding the quarterback position is regardless of experience. So, yes, I understand why Kirk isn’t so quick just to throw in the backup because the starter is stinking up the joint. I mean, lol, look at all the games Stanley had his struggles and we were screaming for the backup—who was none other than Spencer Petras. I wonder how that would have turned out. 🤔

With all of that said, quarterback play has not been good overall for quite some time. It was pretty decent (with rare exception) in the 2000s. The 2010s and into the 2020s has been a much different story, though, where good play seems to be the exception. And I don’t think it’s as simple as Kirk “playing the wrong guy.” And I don’t think you can chalk it up to poor recruiting, either, as many of these guys came into the program somewhat heralded. I can’t speak to quarterback development, because obviously none of us are in the know (I will go out on a limb, though, and guess Brian Ferentz won’t move the needle), which then ultimately leads to the question of the offensive system itself. Is it “too complex”? Is it, as they say, the opposite of “quarterback friendly”? I don’t know. Hopefully, they are getting that figured out and adjusting accordingly.

Last, I will say in hindsight, and I emphasize hindsight, that starting Petras last season was a mistake. Was he “better” in practice than Padilla and Labas? Probably. Does that necessarily mean Petras was going to be better in actual games, especially as the season progressed? Honestly, I don’t think so. And this is where things get tricky. At some point, you have to figure out which players have higher ceilings and greater potential to have a more positive impact on the guys in the huddle. For instance, when Padilla came into the Northwestern game in relief of Petras, everything seemed to change—from the body language and energy of the other ten guys on offense to the actual plays being made. Now, did Padilla have his struggles that carried over into other games? Absolutely. But keep in mind all his opponents were in midseason form while Alex was still learning on the fly.

Ultimately, here’s the point: sometimes you have to go with the guy who has the best potential to elevate the team’s overall play and let him take his lumps early. While we will never know for sure, the Alex Padilla we saw against Illinois and Nebraska probably would have been much better and more consistent had he been the starter since week one. With Spencer Petras, we pretty much know what we’re going to get and what his ceiling is: he’s got a strong arm and is capable of throwing an accurate ball downfield but in general is erratic, wildly inaccurate, and lacks poise in the pocket while being terribly immobile. That is Petras in a nutshell and that is pretty much his ceiling and what you’re going to get with him. That is just not something that’s likely going to change regardless of how many terrific throws he makes in practice.

In short, if Joey Labas has the highest ceiling and greatest potential, that’s whom you need to go with on week one. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. With Petras, we know the results. It’s about as obvious as obvious gets.

This was a really good post but I still bristle at the suggestion “we know what we’re going to get“… You made a really good point about many of these yahoos struggling with the fact that often times the backup quarterback we were clamoring for last year comes in and sucks worse. Showing of course the fans really having no clue… To me the “knowing what we have“ is not only unfair but it’s extremely shortsighted…

The first two years of Josh Allen’s NFL career weren't To brilliant. Plenty of grumbling forms fans suggesting it was a another “missed draft pick“.

The reverse is also true we’ve had quarterbacks come into the NFL and look pretty good the first couple years and then get worse… So I categorically deny and even am even somewhat “bothered“ by the implication a 22 year old can’t get better…

Especially when you consider it literally appears to be a nerve issue. He has all the tools but his pocket awareness is piss poor and that comes from an over tweaked nervous system and the inability to slow things down. There’s no way in hell you can convince me that can’t improve…

Just like I can’t prove to you it will… Because there’s instances in history of both outcomes happening.

Im going to say this again as I have probably said 10 times already. I’m on board with everybody hoping that Joey LaBas is the answer.

But I felt no more comfortable with Padilla playing, then I did with Petras. In fact I dare say he made me even more nervous, he threw some really stupid passes!

This was a really good post but I still bristle at the suggestion “we know what we’re going to get“… You made a really good point about many of these yahoos struggling with the fact that often times the backup quarterback we were clamoring for last year comes in and sucks worse. Showing of course the fans really having no clue… To me the “knowing what we have“ is not only unfair but it’s extremely shortsighted…

The first two years of Josh Allen’s NFL career weren't To brilliant. Plenty of grumbling forms fans suggesting it was a another “missed draft pick“.

The reverse is also true we’ve had quarterbacks come into the NFL and look pretty good the first couple years and then get worse… So I categorically deny and even am even somewhat “bothered“ by the implication a 22 year old can’t get better…

Especially when you consider it literally appears to be a nerve issue. He has all the tools but his pocket awareness is piss poor and that comes from an over tweaked nervous system and the inability to slow things down. There’s no way in hell you can convince me that can’t improve…

Just like I can’t prove to you it will… Because there’s instances in history of both outcomes happening.

Im going to say this again as I have probably said 10 times already. I’m on board with everybody hoping that Joey LaBas is the answer.

But I felt no more comfortable with Padilla playing, then I did with Petras. In fact I dare say he made me even more nervous, he threw some really stupid passes!
Good post.

I, like you, believe the majority of Petras’s issues are between his ears. When it comes to arm strength and being able to make all throws, he has the ability. No question. Unfortunately, as we pointed out, ability isn’t the issue. Mental acuity and fortitude are. Does that mean he absolutely, 💯 can’t overcome the mental issues that hold him back? No. It simply means to this point we have seen no evidence to suggest he can or even might.

I, like many, gave Spencer a free pass in 2020 because of the impact COVID had on practicing and player development. Unfortunately, a full offseason in 2021 did nothing to improve his ability to overcome the mental obstacles hampering him. Thus, the likelihood of that improving significantly now is not very good. In short, some guys are gamers and others are just not. When you add the fact he is terribly immobile and limited athletically, that doesn’t bode well for him having an elevated ceiling. So, while I agree a young man in his early twenties is fully capable of change and improvement, in the case of Spencer Petras, the likelihood of that being substantial is pretty small—hence why I said we pretty much know what we have with him. Does that mean I’m rooting against the kid and hoping he fails? Absolutely not. I sincerely hope, especially if he is in fact the starter, that I’m proven wrong. And while there is a chance Spencer has a miraculous transformation heading into the 2022 season, the odds of that happening just aren’t very good. Hence my position.

In terms of Joey Labas, I am in no way shape or form saying he is definitely, beyond a reasonable doubt, 💯 guaranteed “the answer.” I’m simply saying we have a fairly certain idea of what is not the answer, and therefore, by default, it should be incumbent upon young Labas to be given the opportunity to prove his stature of being worthy to be named the starting quarterback for the Iowa Hawkeyes. That is the one and only assertion I am making when it comes to Joey Labas.

Picking the best QB:

QB Perfect defensive pre-snap reads, picking up coverage and rush packages, calling the best hot routes and other necessary audibles.

QB with little time in the pocket...
  • Quick twitch accuracy to Receivers that stay on their route, get separation from defender
  • Sack avoidance
  • Scramble for no loss or gain.
  • - OR throw incomplete

QB with 3 + Seconds with open receivers on precise routes with separation form defender
  • Perfect accuracy to open receivers (who don't drop the pass)
  • No one open:
    • Throw incomplete safe
    • Scramble for gain.

Developing and picking the best QB, with the best chance to complete 2 out of every three passes (66%), 0 interceptions, 0 sacks, 0 fumbles, ideally 200 yds plus, 2-3 TDs a game, is no easy task, right?

The most important position requiring the highest standard of performance and consistency of any position on the team.

Lots to teach, lots to evaluate, lots of dependencies on OL and Receivers doing their jobs consistently in practice so that the best QB can emerge in practice and with many prayers on blended knee, translate to real Game Speed at least to medium level competition, and skill and performance that holds up against all the elite opponents.

I have seen several games/partial games with SP where all of this seemed to come together, I really can't say Alex has played obviously better than SP yet AND Joey has nothing on video against any collegiate level opponent to prove he is ready.

Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Good post.

I, like you, believe the majority of Petras’s issues are between his ears. When it comes to arm strength and being able to make all throws, he has the ability. No question. Unfortunately, as we pointed out, ability isn’t the issue. Mental acuity and fortitude are. Does that mean he absolutely, 💯 can’t overcome the mental issues that hold him back? No. It simply means to this point we have seen no evidence to suggest he can or even might.

I, like many, gave Spencer a free pass in 2020 because of the impact COVID had on practicing and player development. Unfortunately, a full offseason in 2021 did nothing to improve his ability to overcome the mental obstacles hampering him. Thus, the likelihood of that improving significantly now is not very good. In short, some guys are gamers and others are just not. When you add the fact he is terribly immobile and limited athletically, that doesn’t bode well for him having an elevated ceiling. So, while I agree a young man in his early twenties is fully capable of change and improvement, in the case of Spencer Petras, the likelihood of that being substantial is pretty small—hence why I said we pretty much know what we have with him. Does that mean I’m rooting against the kid and hoping he fails? Absolutely not. I sincerely hope, especially if he is in fact the starter, that I’m proven wrong. And while there is a chance Spencer has a miraculous transformation heading into the 2022 season, the odds of that happening just aren’t very good. Hence my position.

In terms of Joey Labas, I am in no way shape or form saying he is definitely, beyond a reasonable doubt, 💯 guaranteed “the answer.” I’m simply saying we have a fairly certain idea of what is not the answer, and therefore, by default, it should be incumbent upon young Labas to be given the opportunity to prove his stature of being worthy to be named the starting quarterback for the Iowa Hawkeyes. That is the one and only assertion I am making when it comes to Joey Labas.

For the record never would’ve I thought you were rooting against Petras, we aren’t lock step on the way we think but your reasoning is very linear and I’m following you…

Happy Easter!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT