ADVERTISEMENT

Practice nuggets..

Issues between the ears or no leadership to develop as a QB, especially footwork and mechanics In almost 25 years few qbs have gotten better at playing the position

This staff lacks quality development at the QB position.

Hmmmm….how do you feel about the QB coaches he has hired and the camps he has been to, figure into the mix?

oh and the Qbs in the program that have improved their numbers from year 1 to 2 to 3?

Eagerly anticipating your response…

Instead of trying to compare the stats, wins, etc. of a guy with 2 years of experience to a guy with a few appearances, I would take a different approach.

We can win 8 games with poor QB play because of our defense. But top teams are usually going to score in the 20s against even top defenses. SP proved in his first year that he couldn't lead the offense to match that. Many claimed before his second year that he would be vastly improved. But there was strong evidence to strongly doubt that claim. His second year confirmed that doubt. If the desire is to win more that 8 games, SP should be eliminated from contention. He's had 2 years which is close to the average career playing time of college QBs. Enough! Playing him in the bowl game was a travesty and a lost opportunity.

Where to from here? AP would appear to have a higher ceiling. He sees the field better, is more mobile, less afraid to throw downfield..... Even Tracy as much as said that he's better. Is he more risky? Probably. But our overall offense is not a juggernaut so more risk is going to be essential to give us a chance against top teams. And the coach's effort is better spent finding ways to reduce one guy's risk than to try to develope another guy's skills that don't exist.

And if after a few games, if AP is not progressing? Time for a Labas shot. We have nothing to lose.
If we don't do something different, 8 games, here we come.

Very intrigued here…please expound.

Tyler Tracy, the kid who although a good kid & solid teammate still had a poor year and then left? He said Padilla was better? And that’s important, why?

Padilla was clearly better, why do so many not agree? His stats were worse….

Nothing to lose……hmmmm, we don’t ? If that is true then he’ll it doesn’t really matter. You don’t really care about winning games, you're just interested in finding who “you” ascertain is the best QB & of course only you would know that and you can’t know until you see him play, right?

What we need is a guy who runs for 60, throws for 300 and just Does his own thing.

Ints, fumbles, bad plays aren’t important because Romanhawk says we have nothing to lose…..

Honestly some of you guys….I wouldn’t let within 20 miles of a decision making table.

Nothing to lose…. WTH! And what we’re in year like 15 of wildly criticizing the coaches because they’re making the wrong decisions & “losing”… yeeetttttt playing a QB that hasn’t played “equals nothing to lose”

Tyler Tracy, the kid who although a good kid & solid teammate still had a poor year and then left? He said Padilla was better? And that’s important, why?

you can’t know until you see him play, right?

Honestly some of you guys….I wouldn’t let within 20 miles of a decision making table.
Most of your post is incoherent, but I'll make a couple of comments on the above.

Tracy's comment was made before the season started so hasn't made as an excuse for his season. And I'll let you in on a little secret: WRs are in the best position to evalauate the overall effectiveness of the passing game including that of the QB.

Nobody knows until the QB is seen in game conditions. That's been part of the problem.

Most of your posts try to ridicule other's decision making ability. What gives you the idea that your opinions, as humble as they may be, make you some kind of decision making guru?

It is just mind-boggling that some are anxious to repeat for a third time, a scenario that has proven
to be a failure. Set AP aside for now. This situation is so clearly in need of change that with 3 weeks of practice, I would rather start De Jean at QB in the first game. He would at least give us the accuracy,
mobility, and performance under pressure that we need but don't have, while not having the super strong arm which we don't need.

Most of your post is incoherent, but I'll make a couple of comments on the above.

Tracy's comment was made before the season started so hasn't made as an excuse for his season. And I'll let you in on a little secret: WRs are in the best position to evalauate the overall effectiveness of the passing game including that of the QB.

Nobody knows until the QB is seen in game conditions. That's been part of the problem.

Most of your posts try to ridicule other's decision making ability. What gives you the idea that your opinions, as humble as they may be, make you some kind of decision making guru?

It is just mind-boggling that some are anxious to repeat for a third time, a scenario that has proven
to be a failure. Set AP aside for now. This situation is so clearly in need of change that with 3 weeks of practice, I would rather start De Jean at QB in the first game. He would at least give us the accuracy,
mobility, and performance under pressure that we need but don't have, while not having the super strong arm which we don't need.
Speaking of Dejean an actual practice nugget heard on radio he's been working a lot more at safety over CB. Nothing earth shattering but he was 2 deeps at CB for the bowl game. I could easily see him playing some cash or be setting him up to take over for Merriweather after he leaves at SS.

Speaking of Dejean an actual practice nugget heard on radio he's been working a lot more at safety over CB. Nothing earth shattering but he was 2 deeps at CB for the bowl game. I could easily see him playing some cash or be setting him up to take over for Merriweather after he leaves at SS.
Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I thought when they recruited him the speculation was he would be a safety long-term. He cracked the 2-deeps last year as a CB in part because of how well he’d been practicing and the injuries at CB opened space on the depth chart there.

Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I thought when they recruited him the speculation was he would be a safety long-term. He cracked the 2-deeps last year as a CB in part because of how well he’d been practicing and the injuries at CB opened space on the depth chart there.
Believe you are right. Just didn't know if a case where brought him in as one position but do to need and success would switch spots and keep him there. But I take this as a positive they feel better again with CB depth unlike the end of last season with injuries with Hankins and Roberts. Couldn't find it but I think when spring depth chart sent out still had him at CB. PP must like what he's seeing from some of the other guys to move him back to safety spots plus having Moss return.

Reactions: IowaFBfansAreClowns
Believe you are right. Just didn't know if a case where brought him in as one position but do to need and success would switch spots and keep him there. But I take this as a positive they feel better again with CB depth unlike the end of last season with injuries with Hankins and Roberts. Couldn't find it but I think when spring depth chart sent out still had him at CB. PP must like what he's seeing from some of the other guys to move him back to safety spots plus having Moss return.
I think they’re also REALLY high on the CBs they brought in this year, especially Hall.

Yeah he was at CB out of need.

Reactions: IowaFBfansAreClowns

Lol…. Of course you would, start Dejean. As far as I know not one single team offered him as a quarterback and you would start him. You know, because his accuracy & performance is so good….had I known you go to practice and see the Dbs perform Qb drills I’d have given you more respect….That is priceless and I don’t need to say anything more about who you are.

It’s easiest when you make yourselves look stupid!

Last edited:
Lol…. Of course you would, start Dejean. As far as I know not one single team offered him as a quarterback and you would start him. You know, because his accuracy & performance is so good….had I known you go to practice and see the Dbs perform Qb drills I’d have given you more respect….That is priceless and I don’t need to say anything more about who you are.

It’s easiest when you make yourselves look stupid!
but, but, but the wildcat and making plays with his feet, if for nothing else extending the play....other teams do it so Iowa needs to get with the times..........

I had to add a thought… I’m assuming you’ve seen his high school numbers they were extremely impressive, yet as far as I know not one significant college football program offered him a chance to be quarterback. Or at least we know for a fact if they did he still opted to come to Iowa and play on defense… Why do you think that is?

And you want him to play quarterback here at Iowa… Buddy, I don’t think I have to go out of my way to ridicule your decision making I think you’re doing fine all on your own!

Reactions: F5n5
I'd really like to know WHY it's so damn hard for you to stay on topic regarding practice information?
On 2nd thought I don't give a rat's ass .

Please make an attempt and start your own thread about anything regarding the QB stuff.

This thread was for spring football information , and for some ODD reason you want to make this thread about WHAT YOU WANT to discuss ......... and not what the thread title was asking for

NO ONE want's to wade through that to try and find some information on how spring practice is going .

Go away, and start you're own thread !

I'd really like to know WHY it's so damn hard for you to stay on topic regarding practice information?

Please make an attempt and start your own thread about anything regarding the QB stuff.

This thread was for spring football information , and for some ODD reason you want to make this thread about WHAT YOU WANT to discuss ......... and not what the thread title was asking for

NO ONE want's to wade through that to try and find some information on how spring practice is going .

Really?! So your saying no one wants to post practice info in here or more likely no one has any?

Speaking only for myself. I assure you I will stop talking about quarterbacks long enough to read any new practice insight, but since the whole nature of a message board is to share information….I’d wager if there was any practice thoughts, wed be seeing them. The real problem brother is there isn’t any….

Sooooo, my thought is…you should be asking why there isn’t any more? Because I have a super hard time believing a conversation inside a conversation is really inhibiting people from posting practice info.

Because if it really were they would’ve just started a new thread about interesting practice information…….

I’d guess what you’re really saying is you’re tired of reading about quarterback information in the hopes the most recent posts were really about “new“ practice information. Which I would readily agree is fair but come on… If you’ve been following the thread every time you jump in it it drops into the most recent information and it doesn’t take very long to tell if it’s about practice or about quarterbacks, right?

Then find a thread to post your thoughts about the QB'S in, it don't BELONG in this thread.

I'm pretty sure if you tried you could find one or start your own .

If I wanted to discus the QB'S I wouldn't look in the practice thread to do so.

Then find a thread to post your thoughts about the QB'S in, it don't BELONG in this thread.

I'm pretty sure if you tried you could find one or start your own .

If I wanted to discus the QB'S I wouldn't look in the practice thread to do so.

Do me a favor, go back and count the amount of “practice nuggets“ & the amount of other shit and I think you’d find a thread that was already on the second possibly third page of this forum….

Meaning…..?! Nobody would be posting practice nuggets in it because it’s relevancy had forced it off the main page.

So we are actually helping to keep the topic alive. Quite frankly it’s the only thread I’ve posted in recently. I too am just waiting for relevant information about practice!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Really?! So your saying no one wants to post practice info in here or more likely no one has any?

Speaking only for myself. I assure you I will stop talking about quarterbacks long enough to read any new practice insight, but since the whole nature of a message board is to share information….I’d wager if there was any practice thoughts, wed be seeing them. The real problem brother is there isn’t any….

Sooooo, my thought is…you should be asking why there isn’t any more? Because I have a super hard time believing a conversation inside a conversation is really inhibiting people from posting practice info.

Because if it really were they would’ve just started a new thread about interesting practice information…….

I’d guess what you’re really saying is you’re tired of reading about quarterback information in the hopes the most recent posts were really about “new“ practice information. Which I would readily agree is fair but come on… If you’ve been following the thread every time you jump in it it drops into the most recent information and it doesn’t take very long to tell if it’s about practice or about quarterbacks, right?

Ooo. Lookey there. CM butthurt because someone complained about his nonstop complaining about people who complain. Karma.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Ooo. Lookey there. CM butthurt because someone complained about his nonstop complaining about people who complain. Karma.

C’mon man…. You’ve surely seen enough of my posting over the years to know I would consider that an opportunity to cross examine somebody and their thought process and I feel like I successfully did that considering this thread literally would now be on the next page…you’re gonna have to do better than that old man!

PS where are my practice nuggets jackwagon?!😎

I have an answer. Conversations, especially the best ones, rarely follow the original premise. Like, you're sitting in the Deadwood, drunk and high. Talking about the bitch that just dumped a buddy. Then someone says, lets get out the electrics and amps and play songs about double timing tramps outside her apartment. Then someone says, what are you playing these days, etc..., etc... Then another guy says we start with "Your Cheatin Heart" and maybe finish with H-A-T-R-E-D. Before you know it you're arguing about the best guitar players ever, as the sun comes up. No public disturbances were committed. The broken hearted had stopped sniffling and was laughing and arguing that Joe Walsh was the best guitar player ever. Great conversation but, like all good ones it went through 20 topics.

But brother, I too despair of every topic turning into a contest of who can make the snarkiest attack on the Iowa QBs, that the offense and one or both Ferentzes. That song has lost its enchantment.

Last edited:
A couple nuggets from someone close to the program:

- Yahya and Van Ness are absolute studs and DL is loaded - which has been said
- Labas looks good, but opts to run much more than the other QB's - when he does take off, he's tough to tackle (or get a hand on i suppose) - bad news is the opting to run so much, but this comes from lack of experience - good news is it sounds as though he's dangerous with his feet.
- Deavin Hilson (late addition RB from Des Moines) is turning a lot of heads - very explosive and makes people miss - I guess he only played a few games at RB his senior year because his team had a lot of holes and not much size (only going by what I was told). He even played some games on the OL. Point is, he might have been very overlooked and could be a great get when all is said and done.
Well my two cents the throwing qbs last were meh so don’t see how this hurts

Based on what was seen this Spring regarding the OLine, might they be adequate this Fall?
I find it hard to tell whether Petras was inadequate OR whether he had no real chance due to woeful line play. Trying to be fair here.
IF the line doesn't show/shows minimal improvement, having a nonmobile QB like Petras is a recipe for further offensive ineptitude. In such a scenario, a mobile QB is a MUST.

Reactions: iowaflash
In DeJean's interview ... he's indicated that during the spring he's almost exclusively been working at safety and CASH.

Reactions: F5n5
It's odd to think that "on paper" Iowa's secondary is slated to be the weak part of the D. After all, we're replacing two highly productive stalwart starters in Koerner and Belton. Also, we lost the leadership supplied by Hankins too ... even though he didn't play through much of the second half of the season.

Secondary personnel:

Returning multi-year starters:
Moss (CB)

Returning with experience and multiple starts: (not including more experienced guys)
Merriweather (S)
Harris (CB)

Returning highly-trusted top back-ups: (not including more experienced guys)
Roberts (CB)

Returning trusted back-ups with some experience: (not including more experienced guys)
Castro (S/CASH)
Schulte (S)

"Buzz-worthy" young guys: (highly-touted ... but lacks experience)
DeJean (DB - CB/CASH)
Nwankpa (S/CASH)

On top of that ... the rest of the '22 DB class has A LOT of guys ... and a variety of guys too. The common denominator among most all of them ... really good ball-skills for a DB! You know that one or two of those guys are likely to surprise too ...

Presence of depth chart and/or other forms of buzz:
Rexroth (S) - never doubt Phil's ability to develop walk-on safeties
Hall (CB) - early enrollee and great size for a DB
Rexroth to Leo!

Reactions: 3buzzmable
From Chad Liestikow:

Can the D be better than last year?
On Iowa Live on 4/18:

Reese Morgan - Iowa 8-10 deep along D-line when 2 injured guys get healthy. Said Shannon has had a great spring. Lee setting up for a fine year. Van Ness could become a star. Named all the usual suspects in a favorable way.

Reese said last Saturday's practice was the best one all spring, so far. Both OL and DL were very physical.

Reese also said the OL has made great strides since beginning of spring drills.

Also said both OT positions are set. Pencil Colby in at one G spot.

Dolph reiterated the other OG spot and C are still competitions.

Dolph also said Petras is the guy. Well ahead of others. More relaxed and confident.

Somebody said A. Bruce has stood out this spring. The game has slowed down for him.

Everybody praised Moss, not only for coming back, but has practiced harder than ever this spring. Great example and leader.

Reese was asked about success recruiting Iowa kids after Kirk and new staff arrived in 1999. He said Kirk gave him the entire coaching staff for 2 weeks to start building a new recruiting base by scouring the state for talent and making contacts. That laid the foundation for better in-state recruiting they enjoy today.

Great to see Reese still involved and sharp as a tack.

Saville asked Dolph how long he was going to continue to be the Learfield voice for the Hawks? He said at least a couple more years. He said Eddie wants to go on for another 20 years. LOL.

On Iowa Live on 4/18:

Reese Morgan - Iowa 8-10 deep along D-line when 2 injured guys get healthy. Said Shannon has had a great spring. Lee setting up for a fine year. Van Ness could become a star. Named all the usual suspects in a favorable way.

Reese said last Saturday's practice was the best one all spring, so far. Both OL and DL were very physical.

Dolph also said Petras is the guy. Well ahead of others. More relaxed and confident.

Somebody said A. Bruce has stood out this spring. The game has slowed down for him.

Everybody praised Moss, not only for coming back, but has practiced harder than ever this spring. Great example and leader.

Reese was asked about success recruiting Iowa kids after Kirk and new staff arrived in 1999. He said Kirk gave him the entire coaching staff for 2 weeks to start building a new recruiting base by scouring the state for talent and making contacts. That laid the foundation for better in-state recruiting they enjoy today.

Saville asked Dolph how long he was going to continue to be the Learfield voice for the Hawks? He said at least a couple more years. He said Eddie wants to go on for another 20 years. LOL.

Well, if that's the case and Dolph says so, why all the handwringing?

On Iowa Live on 4/18:

I'm guessing the two OT's are Plumb and Richman. I was hoping to hear something positive on Davidkov.

If Jones wins at center will Elsbury win the other OG spot?

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
I'm guessing the two OT's are Plumb and Richman. I was hoping to hear something positive on Davidkov.

If Jones wins at center will Elsbury win the other OG spot?
I can see Davidkov working in at LG. Center is the biggest one to me. I wonder when Myslinski gets back. Seems like it is going to be a battle that lasts into fall. Same with LG. I think Richman is going to be really good this year. Same with Colby.

Reactions: millhawk
I can see Davidkov working in at LG. Center is the biggest one to me. I wonder when Myslinski gets back. Seems like it is going to be a battle that lasts into fall. Same with LG. I think Richman is going to be really good this year. Same with Colby.

Whoever we end up they need to stay healthy so they can develop some consistency.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT