ADVERTISEMENT

Predict our 2017 season ITT

ChuckThomas12

Team MVP
Jan 15, 2016
Western Iowa
Another year of lining up juggernauts in our non conference schedule should help, but this year's schedule is progressively harder than the seasons prior.

Wyoming -WIN-

@ Iowa State -WIN FOR SURE-

North Texas -WIN-

Penn State -LOSS-

@ Michigan State -WIN-

Illinois -WIN-

BYE

@ Northwestern -LOSS-

Minnesota -WIN-

Ohio State -LOSS-

@ Wisconsin -LOSS-

Purdue -WIN-

@ Nebraska -WIN-

8-4 overall - but Michigan State could be tough on the road. Dantonio bounces back in my opinion after a down year.

Thank goodness we really go after those cupcakes before conference play, it definitely helps Kirk on a year like this.

I'll leave the Bowl prediction out of this and probably off the t-shirt we make, as it's been nearly a decade since the last time we won one of those. Seems like we always lack the speed & skill position players to compete with whomever we get matched up with; tough to see that changing in the near future.

All in all, another 7-9 win season for Kirk - which is just fine for the majority of us, right? He is a stand up guy, after all.

Reactions: joemc2
The Wyoming game is scary to me. They lost their RB but their QB is coming back. They had a decent year in the MWC last year. Think we win but wouldn't surprise me if we don't.

I can see 7-9 wins.

High probability for losses-PSU,OSU
Probably lose-Wisconsin
50/50-MSU,MN,Nebraska
Probably win-Wyoming,Illinois,Northwestern
High probability of win-ISU,North Texas,Purdue

Where do you see this team being so much weaker then last? I give you the schedule is tougher.

We certainly have some questions at DT and QB to be answered, but arguably WR is improved, pass rush potentially is better, and the run game is very proven.

Reactions: hawkhorn
Wyoming game will be close.. And of course Nebraska will win.. Michigan St. could still be down. Have no idea what to expect from them.. Catching Penn St. early in the year is a good thing. Iowa could win that one..

Iowa has a rare B1G opener at home. In 18 years under Kirk Ferentz, rare for Iowa to open at home.

5 home
4 away

Greg Davis was 5-0 in B1G road openers. The first came in 2012 at MSU.

Iowa will be competitive. Schedule is manageable, like past two seasons.

North Texas went to a bowl game last season. Wyoming is pretty good. Iowa State in Ames for KF? Not quite a slam dunk. Not knowing what the offense will be like, it's impossible to make any meaningful W/L analysis now, and I wouldn't count anything as a sure win.

Iowa has been playing well in Ames for some time. ISU did have a nice 44-41 win.

Good series for visitors.

We don't have wadley I'd be more concerned for our early September games. But with akrum and all our OL back makes me not as nervous about them and isu game. 2nd halves expect our line and akrum to wear down and thrash all 3 of them. Even against Michigan and Floridas elites D with no passing game akrum got 100+ yards. Vandeberg back be great security blanket for new qb early in the year and D that returns 8 experienced starters, 9 if you count rugumba who started at end of the year.

2017 Schedule Prediction:

vs WYO- W
@ ISU - L (think they will be motivated and QB first true road test)
vs NTU- W
vs PSU- L (loaded team top 5 team)
@MSU- L (Dantonio won't allow his players to be lazy again)
vs ILL- W
@ NW- W (hawks beat the cats)
vs MINN- W (they will be bad)
vs OSU- L (Could be top 2 team in the nation)
@ WISKY- L (Very good squad returning, new DC, but still good)
vs PU- W
@ NEBBIE- L (Could be a battle of two teams fighting for bowl births)

6-6 as of right now. I am hoping we see some new wrinkles from our OC and QB coach so that we are not as predictable as before. Also I think our defense will be good for the most part, but the back 7 might struggle at times and with new DT's could be rough for the LB's.

I would say 6-6 is the bottom. I do not see Iowa doing any worse. I can chalk up right now 3 losses (PSU, OSU, @WISKY). The other 9 games could go either way. Iowa could win or lose those.

Reactions: PCBHAWK
Way to early---

Wyoming --> W 1-0(0-0)
This game will be close, but I think the Hawkeyes will gain the advantage since it is in Kinnick. Score: Iowa 24, Wyoming 17

@ Iowa State--> L 1-1(0-0)
The Matt Campbell era catches fire and the Clowns upset Iowa. We all know how this game goes under KF. Score: Iowa State 17, Iowa 13

North Texas--> W 2-1(0-0)
Not even close. Good rebound game from the Score: Iowa 38, North Texas 10

Penn State--> L 2-2(0-1) Don't see this as a win, especially after our game last year in Happy Valley. Penn State will be one of the favorites to do extremely well again next
year. Score: Penn State 27, Iowa 17

@ Michigan State--> L 2-3(0-2) Same story as Wyoming. This game will be close, but I give the edge to MSU for it being in East Lansing. Score: MSU 20, Iowa 17

Illinois--> W 3-3(1-2)
A much needed win. Iowa has the best game of the 2017 so far against Illinois at home. This game eases apathy in the fan base (maybe). Score: Iowa 41, Illinois 14

Bye

@Northwestern--> W 4-3(2-2)
Momentum from the Illinois win carries over the bye week (scary I know). Hawks steal one in Evanston with a late score and solid defense. Score: Iowa 23, Northwestern 21

Minnesota--> W 5-3(3-2)
Iowa is catching fire heading into the showdown with Ohio State, a three game wining streak and a night game at home with the Buckeyes. The Hawkeyes handle Minnesota by expanding their lead in the 2nd half. Score: Iowa 31, Minnesota 21

Ohio State--> L 5-4(3-3)
Tough and close first half, but Iowa can't keep up with OSU's talent in the 2nd half. Iowa holds Ohio State to the lowest points scored all year but our offense messes it up as usual. Score: Ohio State 26, Iowa 17

@ Wisconsin--> L 5-5(3-4)
Wisconsin again knocks Iowa out of contention for the B1G West division. Another 2016-like game. Boring, not creative and low scoring. Score: Wisconsin 20, Iowa 10

Purdue--> W 6-5(4-4)
Low scoring battle with our most hated rival. We have some boo birds for lack of offense. Purdue keeps it interesting, but defense forces a turnover late. Score: Iowa 12, Purdue 7

@ Nebraska--> W 7-5(5-4)
The best game of the 2017 season @ Nebraska. Bugeaters lose 3rd straight to the Hawks as offense finally comes alive. Mike Riley is fired. Score: Iowa 34, Nebraska 24

Iowa to Music City Bowl against another speedy SEC team. We all know the result
Final: 8-5(5-4)

Way to early---

Wyoming --> W 1-0(0-0)
This game will be close, but I think the Hawkeyes will gain the advantage since it is in Kinnick. Score: Iowa 24, Wyoming 17

@ Iowa State--> L 1-1(0-0)
The Matt Campbell era catches fire and the Clowns upset Iowa. We all know how this game goes under KF. Score: Iowa State 17, Iowa 13

North Texas--> W 2-1(0-0)
Not even close. Good rebound game from the Score: Iowa 38, North Texas 10

Penn State--> L 2-2(0-1) Don't see this as a win, especially after our game last year in Happy Valley. Penn State will be one of the favorites to do extremely well again next
year. Score: Penn State 27, Iowa 17

@ Michigan State--> L 2-3(0-2) Same story as Wyoming. This game will be close, but I give the edge to MSU for it being in East Lansing. Score: MSU 20, Iowa 17

Illinois--> W 3-3(1-2)
A much needed win. Iowa has the best game of the 2017 so far against Illinois at home. This game eases apathy in the fan base (maybe). Score: Iowa 41, Illinois 14

Bye

@Northwestern--> W 4-3(2-2)
Momentum from the Illinois win carries over the bye week (scary I know). Hawks steal one in Evanston with a late score and solid defense. Score: Iowa 23, Northwestern 21

Minnesota--> W 5-3(3-2)
Iowa is catching fire heading into the showdown with Ohio State, a three game wining streak and a night game at home with the Buckeyes. The Hawkeyes handle Minnesota by expanding their lead in the 2nd half. Score: Iowa 31, Minnesota 21

Ohio State--> L 5-4(3-3)
Tough and close first half, but Iowa can't keep up with OSU's talent in the 2nd half. Iowa holds Ohio State to the lowest points scored all year but our offense messes it up as usual. Score: Ohio State 26, Iowa 17

@ Wisconsin--> L 5-5(3-4)
Wisconsin again knocks Iowa out of contention for the B1G West division. Another 2016-like game. Boring, not creative and low scoring. Score: Wisconsin 20, Iowa 10

Purdue--> W 6-5(4-4)
Low scoring battle with our most hated rival. We have some boo birds for lack of offense. Purdue keeps it interesting, but defense forces a turnover late. Score: Iowa 12, Purdue 7

@ Nebraska--> W 7-5(5-4)
The best game of the 2017 season @ Nebraska. Bugeaters lose 3rd straight to the Hawks as offense finally comes alive. Mike Riley is fired. Score: Iowa 34, Nebraska 24

Iowa to Music City Bowl against another speedy SEC team. We all know the result
Final: 8-5(5-4)

10-2 we lose to Ohio st in an undefeated top 10 matchup and have a hangover loss to WI. We shall win the rest. ISU is not beating us.

Just saw that Wyoming is top 25 team in a few early top 25 predictions.....still think we win this game by pounding the ball right between the tackles and finish the year 10-2 losing to OSU and somebody else (take your pick) and then win the rematch game against OSU in the BTCG and then redeem ourselves in the Rose Bowl by spanking USC. FInish the year 14-2 :)

Wyoming -Win

@ Iowa State -Win

North Texas -Win

Penn State -Win

@ Michigan State -Loss

Illinois -Win

BYE

@ Northwestern -Loss

Minnesota -Win

Ohio State - Loss

@ Wisconsin -Win-

Purdue -Win

@ Nebraska -Win

Reactions: ichawk24
6-6 is our floor and 9-3 is our ceiling. Don't think we can beat PSU or OSU. I think we lose to Wisconsin or Nebraska in division. Too many unknowns right now to have a very good feel. I will be surprised if we aren't at least a pretty good team.

I am optimistic about our record next year and I see many people stating we lose to PSU......I would think after this year's PSU performance the team would have a more than spirited effort next year.....I think because of that we come out with a W

7-8 wins with a birth to the Music City Bowl where we lose to an ACC team like Virginia Tech by two touchdowns.

New QB, still no talent at WR, this year could get ugly fast.

Wyoming -WIN maybe but not 100%

@ Iowa State -loss in a close one

North Texas -WIN-

Penn State -LOSS and won't even be close

@ Michigan State - loss MSU bounces back from a bad year last year

Illinois -WIN-

BYE

@ Northwestern -LOSS-

Minnesota -WIN-

Ohio State -LOSS-

@ Wisconsin -LOSS-

Purdue -WIN-

@ Nebraska -loss

Could miss a bowl this year really easy.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
I don't try to pick each game this early. I believe we will end up 7-5 and if we have some luck maybe 8-4. Spring practice is going to be important for Stanley as he takes over the role of a starter. As he goes, so goes the offense. There some big shoes to fill on the defensive side of the ball. If we can adequately fill those shoes then I think we have a chance to be a pretty decent team.

I would argue the offense will be as good with a remote chance at better in 2017. I get that we have a new QB and new receivers but follow me for a second;
Last year we had a dinged up (albeit good) QB with limited mobility (due to aforementioned dingedness) and play calling that looked like it was from 1902. KOK loves himself some TE passing game and certainly is more "open" than Greg Davis' garage door would even be. Couple that with a returning o-line and Wadley in the backfield, I think we will be fine.
Go ahead and rip me apart.

Reactions: DirtyD1971
vs WYO- W
@ ISU - W
vs NTU- W
vs PSU- L
@MSU- W
vs ILL- W
@ NW- L
vs MINN- W
vs OSU- L
@ WISKY- L
vs PU- W
@ NEBBIE- W

Wyoming -W

@ Iowa State -W

North Texas -W

Penn State -L

@ Michigan State -W

Illinois -W

BYE

@ Northwestern -W

Minnesota -W

Ohio State - L

@ Wisconsin -L

Purdue -W

@ Nebraska -W

9-3. I'd be pretty happy with that but I think that is our ceiling and we get all of the breaks. I think our worst case scenario is 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT