ADVERTISEMENT

Pregnant and she didn't know it?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I was talking to a woman a few days ago and she mentioned an acquaintance who had gone into labor last Monday, and delivered a full term baby, yet denies she knew she was pregnant. This isn't entirely uncommon. You hear about it, but, does anyone believe it? I've talked to multiple women since then who have children and asked if they believe it's possible to go full term without knowing. One was an RN friend who has had three kids. She gave a very tepid answer saying it's possible, but, unlikely. A woman would have to discount months without no menstrual cycles, baby kicks, and every other pregnancy related cue. My friend offered that she could only see it in a heavy woman, who might be prone to irregular cycles.
What do you say, HROT?

Last edited:
There was an entire tv series about this a few years ago...

One of the guys that used to work for me and his gf were the subjects of one episode...

I knew a woman that this happened to, she was a really fat woman. She invented a meal in the middle of the afternoon she called second lunch.

Reactions: Kenneth Griffin
My sister didn't know until she was 3 weeks out from having the kid. She isn't heavy at all either, husband was in marines, was over in Japan and didn't find out until the kid was born. She never really showed at all. Gained about 15 pounds was it. I guess she just attributed a lot of the signs as stress from him being overseas.

I was talking to a woman a few days ago and she mentioned an acquaintance who had gone into labor last Monday, and delivered a full term baby, yet denies she knew she was pregnant. This isn't entirely uncommon. You hear about it, but, does anyone believe it? I've talked to multiple women since then who have children and asked if they believe it's possible to go full term without knowing. One was an RN friend who has had three kids. She gave a very tepid answer saying it's possible, but, unlikely. A woman would have to discount months without no menstrual cycles, baby kicks, and every other pregnancy related cue. My friend offered that she could only see it in a heavy woman, who might be prone to irregular cycles.
What do you say, HROT?
Hate to admit it but my cousin's first wife had the same situation. They rushed her to the hospital late one night thinking she was suffering from acute appendicitis...about an hour later the nurse comes out to tell him he is now the proud father of a baby girl. According to my aunt he passed out on the floor. It is still hard for me to believe a woman can carry a child full term and not be aware of it especially with the prenatal medical needs for both the mother and unborn child...and yes his wife was and still is a tad bit on the hefty side.

What do you say, HROT?

As a paramedic I've delivered 5 babies in 25 years. Of those five, two said they didn't know they were pregnant. I tended to believe them but who knows. One of them, after the delivery, said "there is no way I'm pregnant". I told her, you're right, now.

My wife taught the daughter of a friend of ours. One day the little girl came in saying her mom went to the hospital the night before for back pain. The little girl's dad came to pick her up that afternoon and my wife stopped him to ask if his wife was ok. He held up his wrist to show the baby bracelet...actually he had one blue and one pink. She had twins and had no idea she was pregnant. She really isn't fat, either. The babies are two now..

What do you say, HROT?

Yes, it happens. My Dad told me the story of a farm neighbor lady who was quite large and already had 2 children went to the doctor because of persistent indigestion. She got to feeling around on her abdomen and also feared she maybe had a tumor or cancer growing in her. This was back I the early 60's.

After the doctor checked her out thoroughly, he smiled and told her she was 8 months pregnant. A month later, she had a healthy baby boy. He's had the nickname ' the little tumor' ever since.

I have to think in most of these cases there is some sub-concious denial going on.
I just can't wrap my head around a woman not knowing she's pregnant. There's so much stuff going on, so many changes happening, over the course of the majority of a fricking year, and they didn't think something was up?

It is impossible for them not to know. A woman has to be in a heap of denial for this to take place.

I just can't wrap my head around a woman not knowing she's pregnant. There's so much stuff going on, so many changes happening, over the course of the majority of a fricking year, and they didn't think something was up?
Correct... They know, but they don't want to acknowledge it. Even the most minor of changes would warrant suspicion.

I dont believe this. Maybe in a very large woman, but the baby moves around... you could see my wife's (no pic) belly moving as the baby was moving. She always remarked how weird it felt to have something moving around inside you... that the sensation was strange. I dont understand how you wouldnt know unless very large.

Should I run this by the wife when she makes a big deal about her past pregnancies: "It really could not of been that much of a burden, there are fat people everyday who carry children to full term without even knowing it?"

Reactions: torbee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT