ADVERTISEMENT

Premium gasoline

unsubstantiated

HB All-American
Oct 21, 2004
Remember when premium gas was ten or maybe twenty cents higher than regular? Back then it was 5 or 10% higher. I put 91 octane in my motorcycles, they run much better on it. (they actually prefer 93, but I cant get it in Iowa)

It's usually only 3 or 4 gallons at a time, and I dont really pay much attention to gas prices, but today I noticed that it is one dollar more than the 89 octane. $3.49 vs. $2.49, or 40% higher. WTH? When did this change so drastically?

My cars can ONLY take premium, so I admit I don't pay much attention to the price differential, but that sounds high to me. I usually feel like it's in the 40-50 cent range, which is still higher than 5-10%... if that's the case, my *GUESS* would be that there is less refining capacity for premium, and hence it is slightly rare?

Probably just a temporary distortion as refineries switch over from summer blends to winter blends.

I'll have to keep an eye on it next summer. The worst part is that I filled up my 5.5 gallon tank, which I probably wont even burn this year. Most will get drained and dumped into my old truck anyway.... oh well.

I use it for all my small engines (mower, weed eater, blower/vac, ice auger) and only one gas station in town even carries it. 10% ethanol has been about 25 cents cheaper than regular and premium is 25 cents more expensive than regluar.

Remember when premium gas was ten or maybe twenty cents higher than regular? Back then it was 5 or 10% higher. I put 91 octane in my motorcycles, they run much better on it. (they actually prefer 93, but I cant get it in Iowa)

It's usually only 3 or 4 gallons at a time, and I dont really pay much attention to gas prices, but today I noticed that it is one dollar more than the 89 octane. $3.49 vs. $2.49, or 40% higher. WTH? When did this change so drastically?

So long as there is that big a disparity, might be worth picking up a couple hits of octane boost at the automotive shop until the prices level off. I think those are only $3 or $4 and treat 12 gal or more.

What motorcycles do you have? Mine takes 87 and runs perfectly fine but it's a low compression motor.

In my old bike I was running 10.5:1 compression and needed 91 minimum and hatred paying more.

Reactions: cigaretteman
So long as there is that big a disparity, might be worth picking up a couple hits of octane boost at the automotive shop until the prices level off. I think those are only $3 or $4 and treat 12 gal or more.

Definitely looking into that next spring if that difference is still as large.

It's all about volume available and demand.

If 10% of cars require 91, they probably carry 10% of their total capacity in 91. Lower volumes purchased by stations = higher cost to buy per unit, and the cost is passed to end users.

Then add in ethanol into the mix vs straight gas...straight gas will cost more. Personally being a 91 octane car guy x 2...I'm stuck going to stations that carry 91. I also avoid ethanol at all times if I can, so I'm paying 40 to 60 cents per gallon more for every tank.

It sucks...but I wouldn't drive anything different. I like great cars. I've owned 3 cars now that had to run on 91, and they all are/were fantastic vehicles. The extra gas cost is worth every penny.

I even use straight gas 91 in lawn mowers etc and my boat. They run great on it.

What motorcycles do you have? Mine takes 87 and runs perfectly fine but it's a low compression motor.

In my old bike I was running 10.5:1 compression and needed 91 minimum and hatred paying more.

I have 2 dual sports that are '05's but they have mid 80's engine technology. My 2000 Kawasaki sport/touring bike has an engine that originated back in the mid 70's, as the old KZ 750 in-line 4 cyl. Not sure about the compression or what the manufacturer recommends, but they just run better with higher octane. Less pinging and it seems like the carbs stay cleaner. (I HATE f-in around with carburetors)

My cars can ONLY take premium, so I admit I don't pay much attention to the price differential, but that sounds high to me. I usually feel like it's in the 40-50 cent range, which is still higher than 5-10%... if that's the case, my *GUESS* would be that there is less refining capacity for premium, and hence it is slightly rare?

Pepper - Just curious, what make of cars do you drive?

Reactions: cigaretteman
It's all about volume available and demand.

If 10% of cars require 91, they probably carry 10% of their total capacity in 91. Lower volumes purchased by stations = higher cost to buy per unit, and the cost is passed to end users.

Then add in ethanol into the mix vs straight gas...straight gas will cost more. Personally being a 91 octane car guy x 2...I'm stuck going to stations that carry 91. I also avoid ethanol at all times if I can, so I'm paying 40 to 60 cents per gallon more for every tank.

It sucks...but I wouldn't drive anything different. I like great cars. I've owned 3 cars now that had to run on 91, and they all are/were fantastic vehicles. The extra gas cost is worth every penny.

I even use straight gas 91 in lawn mowers etc and my boat. They run great on it.

I'm kind of a 'gas snob' after getting some watery/dirty gas at Casey's once a few years back that caused all kinds of problems with two of my vehicles. (If I run out of gas in front of a Casey's I will PUSH that MFer to the next station, lol) I try to buy BP whenever I can. My truck and cars have always recommended 87, so I dont question that.

I have 2 dual sports that are '05's but they have mid 80's engine technology. My 2000 Kawasaki sport/touring bike has an engine that originated back in the mid 70's, as the old KZ 750 in-line 4 cyl. Not sure about the compression or what the manufacturer recommends, but they just run better with higher octane. Less pinging and it seems like the carbs stay cleaner. (I HATE f-in around with carburetors)

If you're getting pinging then you need the higher octane. Higher octane won't help with the carb gunking up, though. It isn't any cleaner.

The ethanol is havoc on carbs. I always made sure to run non-ethanol in the carb bike.

I don't normally pay attention to premium prices, but this morning 87 is $2.17 and 93 is $2.67 at my local station. Your 89 and 91 prices don't make sense.

I use premium in my car, and I noticed a dollar difference between 87 and 91 a few weeks ago, then last time I got gas it was more around 50 cents. Seems to be fluctuating quite a bit. I usually don't pay attention, and just put in a full tank and swipe the credit card and hy vee fuel saver card.

You can get 93 octane gasoline (refined 93--no ethanol added) at Jim Lind Shell in Waterloo. It will cost you because he has this trucked in from a long ways away. It is what I put into my vehicles

I've got a 2015 ATS and it takes 87 octane gas. It's a 3.6L V6, not a turbo.

It's actually E85 capable as well. Need to be careful with that though. The gas mileage is less than regular unleaded, so I have to weigh price difference vs. mileage impact of using E85. If it's a "push" I'll go with E85 to support Ethanol and stick it to the Arabs.

Probably just a temporary distortion as refineries switch over from summer blends to winter blends.
Interesting - gas in Alabama today is 1.85, in Cedar Rapids it is 2.25, in Iowa City it's around 2.38...

This whole Winter\Summer switch is BS as the prices don't drop when moving to the Winter blend (as they should due to higher RVP rate).

I'm kind of a 'gas snob' after getting some watery/dirty gas at Casey's once a few years back that caused all kinds of problems with two of my vehicles. (If I run out of gas in front of a Casey's I will PUSH that MFer to the next station, lol) I try to buy BP whenever I can. My truck and cars have always recommended 87, so I dont question that.

I'm a K&G guy myself because it's closest, but BP is my preference.

I had a lot of trouble with Casey's in the past. I will never buy gas from them again if I can help it.

You despise oil companies because they're smart enough to know that idiots like you will throw money away?

Nah, I just like to bag on big oil companies, and I've got plenty of other reasons to do so. Later in the article it explains that the cheaper domestic oil is cheaply and easily refined into low-octane blends, while the pricier OPEC oil is more easily turned into high-octane premium. I guess I can accept that reason even if I'm not happy about buying foreign oil.

Fortunately my pickup's 30 gal tank and my car's 20 gallon tank are more than happy with the environment-raping cheap stuff. The 4 or 5 gallon tanks on my bikes that get 45-60 mpg are the only ones that need the expensive, terrorist oil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT