ADVERTISEMENT

Prepare for NCAA

its going to a grind but I think we can get 19-20 wins and if we can keep the RPI around 30-40 we should get in.

We all know JoBo has to stay healthy and we really need some more scoring from the guards. I think Moss is ready to step up.
Another way to look at this game is ‘how ‘bout those freshmen’? They, along with the core expected to dominate this team (JB, Moss, Cook) refused to let this team lose in a team slump game before an anticipated trip, JB had a bad shooting night, we lost our primary back up PG probably for the month, and the normal spark plug in these situations (Baer) is still out. Imagine when we’re healthy?

19-20 wins won't be enough. We will need 21 or 22 and some quality wins and I think we will get them. There is a lot to like about this team.

who other Cinci is going to beat this team in the OOC? at worst this team will go 12-1 in the OOC, and I don't see this not going at least 10-8 so that puts them at 22-9.

one thing I heard from Bobby was that Grambling had a 6'7 guard on JBo. and they had 5 JUCO transfers starting, so these were kids out of HS playing for Grambling. and they had 3 more JUCO's waiting to come off the bench.

who other Cinci is going to beat this team in the OOC? at worst this team will go 12-1 in the OOC, and I don't see this not going at least 10-8 so that puts them at 22-9.
I think Virginia tech beats Iowa.. that's a tough place to play! Virginia tech was in a funk tonight much like Iowa. Outside of that I think Iowa can win them all for OOC

Tom said 23-8 in his fearless forecast .....? I like this but Baer not being around could cost us a few W's.

one thing I heard from Bobby was that Grambling had a 6'7 guard on JBo. and they had 5 JUCO transfers starting, so these were kids out of HS playing for Grambling. and they had 3 more JUCO's waiting to come off the bench.

So what they had JUCOS? What's the big freaking deal about that? Is that another useless stat you will be tracking for us this year now? They had an RPI of 345 out of 351. Bottom 20 team in all of D1. How good could those players have been? VCU beat them by 30+.

HOW long is Connor going to be out?
these were the top 5 in minutes tonight and other stats
Moss 30 minutes 15 points 3-6 from 3, 2 assists and 2 steals. with 4-4 from the FTL which leaves him perfect thru 3 games
Cook 29 minutes 15 points 7 rebounds 7-9 from the FTL 1 steal and 1 block
JBo 28 minutes 12 points 9-10 from the FTL 7 assists, 2 steals and 1 TO
Garza 28 minutes 13 point, 9 rebounds, 2 steals and 3 blocks
Nunge 27 minutes 17 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 block

looks like the rotation was cut quite a bit, now its just a matter of getting Baer back and then Connor. then onto BT Play. Moss is doing just fine thank you very much as this team does not need a Jok clone as far has scoring goes.

So what they had JUCOS? What's the big freaking deal about that? Is that another useless stat you will be tracking for us this year now? They had an RPI of 345 out of 351. Bottom 20 team in all of D1. How good could those players have been? VCU beat them by 30+.
that rating was from last year and those players have all been replaced and the VCU game was their 1st of the year.

go back to the FB board with you superior nose in the air so you can stop cutting furrows in the Moon.

that rating was from last year and those players have all been replaced and the VCU game was their 1st of the year.

go back to the FB board with you superior nose in the air so you can stop cutting furrows in the Moon.

Again who cares that a bottom 20 D1 team has JUCOS? What does that mean? I'll answer this for you and it means nothing.

this team defense is getting better with each game. Nunge had his best game of the season playing the 3
Moss is showing consistency vs last season JBo is still JBo but is cutting down on his TO's,
Garza is as consistent in rebounding scoring and blocking shot as you can expect out of a FR,
when Baer returns the defense will improve even more. face it Baer is the leader off the bench.

one more note on JBo he is making more f a concentrated effort in penetrating the lane and tonight showed that by him going 9-10 from the FTL, last season he only attempted 55 FT attempts in 34 games.

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
75% FT. Nunge becoming a star. Accomplishing a win without Baer (the normal spark man in games last me this), back up PG Connor, and bad day shooting for JB. Imagine how much better the team is when they’re back.

Reactions: lovedwatchingLester
one more note on JBo he is making more f a concentrated effort in penetrating the lane and tonight showed that by him going 9-10 from the FTL, last season he only attempted 55 FT attempts in 34 games.

Because you did not watch the game you did not know 8 of those free throw attempts were all due to fouls at the end of the game as Grambling was trying to extend the game. LOL!

Because you did not watch the game you did not know 8 of those free throw attempts were all due to fouls at the end of the game as Grambling was trying to extend the game. LOL!
True and I thought he over did trying to take it to the hoop last night when he is at his best is when he is the distributer and can get a kick out . Last night IMO the Hawks tried a bit too much to thread the needle with their passing and were more hesitant to shoot the 3 when they were open, but there was much more to it last night. Missing free throws, turnovers leading to run outs, not hustling back and having not zoned in the previous 4 games made their rotations slower than they should be. Big thing last night also was much less talking to each other.
"This they have to overcome".
That aspect was horrible, by far the worst I have seen this year and I have been at every game, including the exhibitions. 3 players going for a shot block , nobody blocking out at times, 2 players rebounding the same ball and it getting tipped away to an opposing player. Communication, free throws again, slow getting back to prevent run outs and no one stopping the runout. At times it looked like a PTL game. It didn't look like they were very prepared to begin the game and Grambling was right from the tip, organized , knew how they wanted to attack and they had some bigs that could leap and as will be the pattern they had very quick guards. They also had very quick hands and our interior passing was a split second late resulting in a lot of those turnovers. Ugly win but we are still very young and maybe last year we lose that game. I still think we will be no worse than 4th in the B1G, this has a lot to do with a very favorable schedule but also because I believe we have a lot of improving on defense that will occur . We have 8 or even 9 really good talented players and not much drop off after that. As we improve teams are going to struggle to keep our bigs off the boards and getting lots of put backs and ones. Hitting those free throws will be the difference between a good and great season. Cook appears to understand that and I think he'll be pushing 80% or close to it by season's end, but he has to prove it every game.

I like your optimism. Road games at Virginia Tech and at Iowa State. I doubt Iowa is favored in either of those. Colorado on a neutral court close to a pick-em.

ISU is not the same as they lost 5 starters and PG Morris who was the clear leader of the team, VT there are mixed reports out there, some are predicted them to finish 9th in the ACC, Baer should be back in time for that game.
Grambling almost became this years teams UNO.

JBo will not have very many nights like he had last night, and has for the FT's JBo didn't give them much of a choice as to who to foul, I personally like that 9-10 FT stat going forward.

as for the score I don't care if its by 1 point or a 100 points, to be pushed by a team that they should beat gives the coaches something to point too to get these players attention that maybe just maybe they are not good enough that all they have to do is just show up.

When our SOS is 347 out of 351 our RPI will not be very high. Hell we will be lucky to be in top 100 with that weak of schedule. Also our Big Ten slate is not that difficult, we need to get/steal some W's on the road vs good teams.

If we get to 23+wins I think we will be a lock for NCAA.

IF we are between 19-22, we will be sweating it out on Selection Sunday. Unless we upset Cinici, MSU, Minny or Purdue.

We truly want big ten teams to win all their non con games as well as the cincy Colorados Iowa states (yes) and va techs.. Also southern Utah drake and northern illiois need to stay out of the 300s!

Try not to take too much from a single game... against our weak schedule we're averaging a 26 point margin of victory. In the single close game, a team that shot 15% from 3 in their first game shot 41% against us (and 100% on 6 FTs).

We're without a backup point guard, and JBo has only played 22 minutes per game so far.

We expected to be 3-0 at this point, we are 3-0 at this point. Nothing major has changed except that we'll be missing Connor for the non-conference slate. Baer should be back soon from his finger injury, and can provide a steadying presence as we start getting into more challenging games.

Reactions: SotaHawk87
Cook 7/9, Moss 4/4, Pemsl 3/4 had something to do with the 75% FT in this game as well as JB’s 9/10.

Cook 7/9, Moss 4/4, Pemsl 3/4 had something to do with the 75% FT in this game as well as JB’s 9/10.
look at last seasons #'s
Pemsl 57.5 % from the FTL
Cook 59.8% from the FTL,
Moss 74.2% from the FTL

they did not exactly tear it up from the FTL last season. so yes they did contribute but only much better than they did last season.

coming from the Iowa basher, that hates anyone that is positive in thinking that Iowa is going to do better than last season as all is want these teams to fail.
Wrong again. Who said I want the Hawkeyes to fail? All I said was that this wasn't a very good start to the season and we won't make the NCAA Tournament if we don't play better going forward. It's called criticism, not hate. Either way, it's a long season and hopefully we get better from it, though I wish we could've won yet learned from it

ADVERTISEMENT