ADVERTISEMENT

Prepare for NIT

To early to say pretty young iowa team with lots of depth. I like our inside guys. And j bo can hit free throws at the end of close games to maybe steal a few wins at the end of games.

Reactions: buchs and perryhawk
We may be one guard away from being great (Weiskamp), but don’t need to be great to make NCAA. We almost made it last year even after losing much later in the season to Nebraska-Omaha. One middling performance and double digit victory against Grambling State hardly dooms us. We are almost missing our backup PG — who is better than Ellingson in that role — as well as Baer, a top 5 player for us.

To early to say pretty young iowa team with lots of depth. I like our inside guys. And j bo can hit free throws at the end of close games to maybe steal a few wins at the end of games.

The depth is way overrated. We have some really good front court players but not enough in the backcourt by a long shot. Our defense is so poor there's no way this will work. They need to develop Dailey but are reluctant to do this so there's no answer off the bench in the backcourt.

it looks like an NIT year. The biggest issue is the backcourt is in need of another vey good player. Not enough lateral quickness out front leads to a tremendous number of defensive break downs.
I agree with you for the most part, but I am not ready to go there (NIT) yet. Every team this time of year has some deficiencies and some things to work on. This team will look a lot different in February/March and have lots of ups and probably a few downs along the way this year.

We need at least one or couple more athletic wings. In the end, you can't overcome that fact and it will probably come back to bite us more than a few times this year contributing to some losses. That and our FT shooting. Who knows? I really like a this team but it is not perfect.

Dailey showed well in the first half. It was concerning that Fran still felt the need to play Ellingson over him in the second half. Ellingson was beyond terrible. Our backcourt is hurt and in trouble.

I agree that Dailey should get more minutes than Ellingson. Hope Connor can come back soon. Hes the best back-up pg

That's moronic. This team is NCAA shoe-in as long as JBo doesn't get injured. With Baer and McCaffrey back we will be just fine

Let's see how we feel after the Caymans. I think you are going to see we cannot play defense to level needed to reach the NCAAs. Like our front court and young players but we see lacking a really good player in the backcourt. A player who can play both ends.

Let's see how we feel after the Caymans. I think you are going to see we cannot play defense to level needed to reach the NCAAs. Like our front court and young players but we see lacking a really good player in the backcourt. A player who can play both ends.

This team is better than last year's team and we would have made the NCAAs last year if it weren't for that cheating jackhole ref in Minnesota!

Reactions: perryhawk
We will have a better back court than people think as long as jay bo stays healthy. We should be a 11 or 12 seed in ncaa this year. Give grambling state some credit.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
I agree that Dailey should get more minutes than Ellingson. Hope Connor can come back soon. Hes the best back-up pg

I like Connor who is heady and a solid player but he's not a next level player. He also lacks lateral quickness to play really good man-2-man pressure defense on the point. He's going to miss another 3-4 weeks so it's best just to red shirt him now and go with Dailey.

Last edited:
Please remember if we get in a bit of slump brian ferentz can draw up some offensive plays for fran. We should be in the top six in the big ten and make the ncaa with ease. With help from brian.

According to many on these boards, we're more athletic than we've been in a long time and have plenty of talent to make a deep tourney run. I don't see it and zone isn't a fix all for lack of quickness.

We've gotta get quicker in the guard court. All these slow nearly seven footers aren't going to be enough to win the big games we need to. Love all the guys, but when any team with a defensive pulse decides to put the clamps on, we're screwed because we won't have the same defensive ability to keep them from scoring.

See my thread from last spring (for those with Lounge access)...

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/we-are-not-athletic-enough.184024/#post-4178356

Lots of "Drama Queens" weighing in.
It's very early and the team was uninspired. I'll be concerned if they are still uninspired in early December against Big 10 teams.
They are excited about going to the Cayman Islands and this was a trap game.

Again I buy the lack of inspiration but there's something there is no answer for and that is lateral quickness in the back court to play good defense and prevent teams from breaking us down. That's not fixable because it's a personnel issue. All we can try to do is mask it or pray the other team has an off night when better opponents come onto the schedule.

There's likely no answer for it but I'd sure as heck give Dailey much more run than what he got in the second half (zero). He's quick and long. Has a bball IQ, good passer and can hit some shots. He needs confidence but that means getting him on the floor to play through some mistakes, etc. if he comes around we have another backcourt option for depth.

Board play from cook graza and nunge should make up enough points inside to offset our speed problems at guard. How many teams make the ncaa now. 68 ? That should not be to hard with the front line we have. And a shooter like jay bo.

Last edited:
Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Let's see how we look in the Caymans. That's going to give us a better preview of how well we can play with a major deficiency.

Also remember teams in the B1G are built more similar to us instead of these tiny, quicker teams.

Good grief, it was only a matter of time we had a mediocre game and have some joker write a sky is falling thread. This team is the same as last year minus Jok and plus Nunge, Garza and Connor.

We missed the 6th man of the year tonight. No reason to believe this team won't win 20 games.

it looks like an NIT year. The biggest issue is the backcourt is in need of another vey good player. Not enough lateral quickness out front leads to a tremendous number of defensive break downs.
i will take that bet barring injuries to cook garza nunge bohannon moss.

Reactions: perryhawk
Also remember teams in the B1G are built more similar to us instead of these tiny, quicker teams.

True but I think the league is going to be very, very competitive.

Look I'm not saying we are bad... just not good enough in the backcourt to get over the top to meet expectations this year. Let's see what happens but this will be the primary issue of what I proclaim occurs.

I like Connor who is heady and a solid player but he's not a next level player. He also lacks lateral quickness to play really good man-2-man pressure defense on the point. He's going to miss another 3-4 weeks so it's best just to red shirt him now and go with Dailey.
This is nonsense. Dailey is not a point guard and Ellingson is a 2. Connor will be back and boy do we need him.

Wagner while I love his defense, he needs to learn how to score more
0-0 from the field 1-2 from the FTL, 1 rebound and 1 point, as a starter he needs to get up to 6-7 points per game. this is where Iowa is missing Baer as he led the team in steals, rebounding and Blocked shots. these were his stats the year he was named the BT 6th MOY
23.8 mpg 7.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.3 bpg shooting 44.8% from the field and 39.5% from 3. that a lot to have sitting on the bench.

now unless you the sky is falling posters were expecting this to be a 60-70 point blow out, go crawl back under whatever rock that you crawled out of.

and take this shit to the FB Forum.

Wagner while I love his defense, he needs to learn how to score more
0-0 from the field 1-2 from the FTL, 1 rebound and 1 point, as a starter he needs to get up to 6-7 points per game. this is where Iowa is missing Baer as he led the team in steals, rebounding and Blocked shots. these were his stats the year he was named the BT 6th MOY
23.8 mpg 7.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 1.3 bpg shooting 44.8% from the field and 39.5% from 3. that a lot to have sitting on the bench.

now unless you the sky is falling posters were expecting this to be a 60-70 point blow out, go crawl back under whatever rock that you crawled out of.

and take this shit to the FB Forum.

I agree about Wagner's diminished role when Baer returns but Baer's impact was swallowed up by Nunge and then some tonight at the 3. He played 27 minutes and get back to us after you check out his box score. The front court and wing is not the issue we are discussing here. It's the backcourt and lack of ability to play defense on the perimeter. That's what will make this an NIT team this year.

I thought the season was over? Now we have to wait for you to evaluate 3 more games?

When did I say the season was over? I said prepare for the NIT. I'm saying just watch the Caymans then you might see it as an NIT team. If they do well then I'm likely wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT