ADVERTISEMENT

Prepare for NIT

Last year Iowa's 3 quarter court press against Purdue was great. Towards the end of the season they were a playing solid defense. So did they get worse by losing Jok and adding Garza and Nunge. Look there are lots of defensive of schemes out there. It's up to Fran to find the right one. Defensive ball pressure is a great luxury to have. But it is rare. Even quick guards struggle with ball pressure. It's not as common as you might think. I don't remember Iowa having anybody. Murray was a great defender but not an on the ball hawk. Horner was one of the slowest I could think of and those teams were ranked. It comes down to assignments and rotating. Mostly just knowing and trusting each other. It's something Frans teams struggle early with every year because for some reason he thinks he can play 12. The depth isn't real the cream will rise and Iowa defense will be very good real soon.

If nothing else I thought Grambling played their best and Iowa got caught sleepwalking for large chunks of the game. A positive imo that they were able to lockdown and close the game out down the stretch.

Lots of learning moments for these guys and they didn’t lose the game in the process a la Nebraska-Omaha last year.

I agree on the Grambling part...but no way the sleepwalking in large chunks..sitting in Carver I didnt see any sleepwalking at all....the game was more about how well Grambling was playing opposed to how bad we were.

Do we have more talent than Grambling.?..yes and we did win. I have no idea that Grambling played their best...i dont think anyone really does...unless you follow & have watched them play before last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanL53
I was a slow footed point guard and as long as I knew where my help was coming from and trusted that it was there. I was able to put pressure on opposing guards by just know the scheme and what I needed to take away. That's why I stress playing 8 cause you have to know each other and each other's tendencies. Teams like Kentucky can just line up superior athletes and lock you down. But there are other ways. Who was the last Wisconsin defender that you said was just to quick. It's scheme and trust.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Grambling played really well. That being said, it's pretty safe to say that they would be at the bottom of our conference. We dodged a bullet last night and this game may really help us down the line.

as disturbing (your words) as Iowa's man-man defense was...Grambling shot less than 43%...Grambling scored 21 of their points off turnovers & errant passes...especially in the first half.

we shot well over 50%...I'll take those offensive shooting & opponents shooting percentages every game.

I'm sure the coaches in game film will point out each & every play that you have pointed out...after 3 games there is zero evidence to suggest this team doesnt have the potential of making the NCAA instead of the NIT.

Holding Grambling to 43% shooting is not a good number. Against a really good team, yes it could be. Grambling shot 38% against VCU. I never said Iowa doesn't have the potential to make the NCAA tournament. It doesn't change the fact that the effort on the defensive end was just plain bad last night. That's all.

The Grambling game was perfect for two reasons: (1) It provided the team with a little adversity in the second half to see how they would handle it, and (2) It gave our naysaying fans a chance to predict gloom and doom for the rest of the season.

You'll have to forgive me if I don't abandon ship after our third game, which pitted us against a spunky, quick, motivated team.

Moss is coming off a ankle injury. so what you expect him to run sub 3 second 40's, lets wait till later in the season to discuss this team lack of speed, Athletic and defensive ability.

If Moss is running sub 3 second 40's when he 's healthy, he's playing the wrong sport.

Grambling St. made 8 more 3’s vs Iowa than vs VCU. VCU made 7 more 3’s than Iowa vs GSU. That’s a big swing in just 3 pointers. Let’s not get carried away. Some of that is defense, but not all.

Holding Grambling to 43% shooting is not a good number. Against a really good team, yes it could be. Grambling shot 38% against VCU. I never said Iowa doesn't have the potential to make the NCAA tournament. It doesn't change the fact that the effort on the defensive end was just plain bad last night. That's all.

and I said the effort last night was not disturbing....and it certainly was not plain bad...unless of course you would prefer to hand pick those plays to make your point.

disturbing & bad are not even close...

I agree on the Grambling part...but no way the sleepwalking in large chunks..sitting in Carver I didnt see any sleepwalking at all....the game was more about how well Grambling was playing opposed to how bad we were.

Do we have more talent than Grambling.?..yes and we did win. I have no idea that Grambling played their best...i dont think anyone really does...unless you follow & have watched them play before last night.

I think the announcers said several guys for Grambling had just become eligible, and that the starting five were all new? If so, nobody...not even the great masters of rankings...know how good Grambling State will be.

Last year Iowa's 3 quarter court press against Purdue was great. Towards the end of the season they were a playing solid defense. So did they get worse by losing Jok and adding Garza and Nunge.

Nope, they got better. Or at least they will be better once they settle in. Jok was practically a defensive liability. Garza and Nunge have already displayed more than enough defensive talent to cover Jok's lost D....

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
Peter wasn't a great defender. This squad looks like they will improve on defense. The pressing and trapping with Garza on the back and Nunge on the front. Boys like Big AW, the Baer, Nunge, Bo and even Brady are good in that defense.

Hopefully they will stay in those kinds of Ds and then drop into an aggressive zone.

and I said the effort last night was not disturbing....and it certainly was not plain bad...unless of course you would prefer to hand pick those plays to make your point.

disturbing & bad are not even close...
so now we're arguing over disturbing and bad? I give up. People bound to make the case that Grambling is good and the defensive effort last night was okay are going to believe it no matter waht.

all 5 of Grambling's were JUCO transfer and there were 3 more that came off the bench. we are talking about players that have played before but not together.

so now we're arguing over disturbing and bad? I give up. People bound to make the case that Grambling is good and the defensive effort last night was okay are going to believe it no matter waht.
no because posters like you will never ever give the opponent any credit for anything close to be talented.

all 5 of Grambling's were JUCO transfer and there were 3 more that came off the bench. we are talking about players that have played before but not together.

They were good shooters and pretty quick with the ball,... I think they end up being a decent team by end of the season...

ya words matter...you called Grambling bad...(you see its all or nothing with you)

you said its doesnt matter how Iowa goes about trying to stop a team (zone,man,press) - it matters only if they can ....(again its all or nothing with you)..

you said Iowa was bad defensively last night (all or nothing).

you pointed out every possession you could come up with when there was a breakdown (yep there it is all or nothing)....of course you failed to mention how many minutes Grambling failed to score...maybe we just got lucky in the zone defense?

No one said Grambling is good...what we said was they played well...as difficult as this may be...ya sometimes the other guys do play well..

Based on the fact we have added 2 bigs + the added year of experience..I would suggest we will be a better rebounding team which makes us a better defensive team.

While there will be some B1G teams that have quicker (lateral) guards..not all of them do. And just because a team has quicker lateral guards doesnt mean they cant be defended..they still have to run their offense,,they still have to make shots...

it looks like an NIT year. The biggest issue is the backcourt is in need of another vey good player. Not enough lateral quickness out front leads to a tremendous number of defensive break downs.

I wish I had some of the insight that you find on this sight, I would be a millionaire!

To early to say pretty young iowa team with lots of depth. I like our inside guys. And j bo can hit free throws at the end of close games to maybe steal a few wins at the end of games.

The depth is way overrated. We have some really good front court players but not enough in the backcourt by a long shot. Our defense is so poor there's no way this will work. They need to develop Dailey but are reluctant to do this so there's no answer off the bench in the backcourt.

So insightful...

it looks like an NIT year. The biggest issue is the backcourt is in need of another vey good player. Not enough lateral quickness out front leads to a tremendous number of defensive break downs.
What if we do EXECUTION HUH? 16 here we come!

It's a realistic and honest assessment. That is we are short a really good guard that can play both ends adding to our depth. We are not quick enough in the backcourt to play quality defense. We are unable to pressure the ball and stay in front. We are fine in the front court and wing with Nunge.

This is based on our deficiencies last year and now 5 games into this year. It's not fixable because it's personnel. On top of that it looks like JBO is playing hurt so if he slumps offensively this season due to injury look out.

The B1G is going to be tough this year and many teams have size and athleticism. We will be exposed probably sooner than league play.
I really don’t like it when you say realistic when it’s clearly your opinion. The reality is none of us know how this season will play out.

Personally, I am optimistic and believe our bigs will be difficult for teams to handle. Both freshmen are difficult matchups because they are inside/out threats. Grambling struggled once we went with Nunge, Cook, and Garza. Nunge’s ability to hit 3’s is hard to defend with both Cook and Garza with him. Throw in the 3 point shooters JBo and Moss and this lineup is really tough to stop.

Also, I believe the defense will improve from last year because of the length on this team. Last night after getting down 59-56 the defense was really good. A lot of that was due to having Nunge, Cook and Garza on the floor together.

I believe these things will make an NCAA invite a reality, but that’s just my opinion.

I really don’t like it when you say realistic when it’s clearly your opinion. The reality is none of us know how this season will play out.

Personally, I am optimistic and believe our bigs will be difficult for teams to handle. Both freshmen are difficult matchups because they are inside/out threats. Grambling struggled once we went with Nunge, Cook, and Garza. Nunge’s ability to hit 3’s is hard to defend with both Cook and Garza with him. Throw in the 3 point shooters JBo and Moss and this lineup is really tough to stop.

Also, I believe the defense will improve from last year because of the length on this team. Last night after getting down 59-56 the defense was really good. A lot of that was due to having Nunge, Cook and Garza on the floor together.

I believe these things will make an NCAA invite a reality, but that’s just my opinion.

A couple of things. First I attend the majority of games. Given my distance from Carver I elect to miss a few like Grambling choosing to watch them from home. I also like Fran very much and think he's done a very good job and I enjoy watching his brand of basketball. Does not mean I don't have my own observations. I'm not a koolaid drinker and choose to state my views from a point of objectivity or as close as a fan of a team can get. Bottom line is I'd be thrilled to make the big dance every year including this one. Who wouldn't?

How does my realistic assessment conflict with the notion of an opinion? I do not state it as your opinion or anyone else's?

I have a deep respect for what it takes to make the NCAA tourney especially from a power 5/6 conference and from a 14 member conference like the B1G with a strong number of established programs. It's not like it used to be when we could line up 10-12 patsies in the non-con and then go 9-9 in the conference and punch our card for the dance with 20 wins. This ridiculous RPI metric gets involved today and the competition for a bid is fierce among many power league schools.

In addition it's not easy to make the NIT anymore like it used to be when they used to throw out bids to the power 5/6 conference teams who did not make the big dance like candy. Today's version only takes a couple at most from each power 5/6 conference and the rest are for the little guys left out. The point being me saying this team is a likely NIT candidate should not be a slap in the face. It means this team has had a solid campaign and is an absolute near miss from the big dance. Just like last year where I felt we had a team worthy of bid but did not make it.

I see this team in that 19-21 win range. The issue is where will our SOS be and who are the big wins and bad losses. With that kind of record, it's going to be square on the bubble. We have a real good team but there is a serious deficiency on the defensive end. I love and want high scoring teams but there will be nights where we are not scoring it and combined with our inability to stop someone due to our lack of quickness and depth in the backcourt this will spell defeat. We are almost there as a program but not quite there yet to have lofty expectations.

Last edited:
A couple of things. First I attend the majority of games. Given my distance from Carver I elect to miss a few like Grambling choosing to watch them from home. I also like Fran very much and think he's done a vey good job and I enjoy watching his brand of basketball. Does not mean I don't have my own observations. I'm not a koolaid drinker and choose to state my views from a point of objectivity or as close as a fan of a team can get. Bottom line is I'd be thrilled to make the big dance every year including this one. Who wouldn't?

How does my realistic assessment conflict with the notion of an opinion? I do not state it as your opinion or anyone else's?

I have a deep respect for what it takes to make the NCAA tourney especially from a power 5/6 conference and from a 14 member conference like the B1G with a strong number of established programs. It's not like it used to be when we could line up 10-12 patsies in the non-con and then go 9-9 in the conference and punch our card for the dance with 20 wins. This ridiculous RPI metric gets involved today and the competition for a bid is fierce among many power league schools.

In addition it's not easy to make the NIT anymore like it used to be when they used to throw out bids to the power 5/6 conference teams who did not make the big dance like candy. Today's version only takes a couple at most from each power 5/6 conference and the rest are for the little guys left out. The point being me saying this team is a likely NIT candidate should not be a slap in the face. It means this team has had a solid campaign and is an absolute near miss from the big dance. Just like last year where I felt we had a team worthy of bid but did not make it.

I see this team in that 19-21 win range. The issue is where will our SOS be and who are the big wins and bad losses. With that kind of record, it's going to be square on the bubble. We have a real good team but there is a serious deficiency on the defensive end. I love and want high scoring teams but there will be nights where we are not scoring it and combined with our inability to stop someone due to our lack of quickness and depth in the backcourt this will spell defeat. We are almost there as a program but not quite there yet to have lofty expectations.

See the statements in bold and a reminder you recently brought up a debate we had LAST year about a game played what, eleven months ago. That's a long time ago to be still waving a victory flag. I don't think you are objective at all.

I think you meet this standard...a crazy person seldom knows they are crazy. You just THINK you are objective.

And, many fans on here have followed the Hawkeyes for a very long time.

Now, I'll return to respecting your opinions as soon as I see you respecting the opinions of others.

A couple of things. First I attend the majority of games. Given my distance from Carver I elect to miss a few like Grambling choosing to watch them from home. I also like Fran very much and think he's done a vey good job and I enjoy watching his brand of basketball. Does not mean I don't have my own observations. I'm not a koolaid drinker and choose to state my views from a point of objectivity or as close as a fan of a team can get. Bottom line is I'd be thrilled to make the big dance every year including this one. Who wouldn't?

Well you and I have similar experiences watching the Hawks so I guess by your definition I’m being realistic in my assessment that we will make the NCAA’s.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Look at Iowa’s schedule. They should start 13-0. 11-2 if they stub a toe or two against equal competition, like a Va Tech. Then the B1G foot race starts in earnest. No reason to think this team can’t win 20-22 reg season games, especially when two of their best players (Garza and Nunge) are true freshmen who should only get better, and the team’s heart and motor (Baer) hasn’t even logged a minute yet.

See the statements in bold and a reminder you recently brought up a debate we had LAST year about a game played what, eleven months ago. That's a long time ago to be still waving a victory flag. I don't think you are objective at all.

I think you meet this standard...a crazy person seldom knows they are crazy. You just THINK you are objective.

And, many fans on here have followed the Hawkeyes for a very long time.

Now, I'll return to respecting your opinions as soon as I see you respecting the opinions of others.

It was from the past but the point was I tried to mention that Seton Hall out of the Big East has become a really solid program again. Several poo-poo'd that warning and blew it off only to be stunned that we lost only to go into meltdown mode.

I'm not asking for respect of my opinions in the least. Why does that matter? Hold grudges if you want to.

Last season should be a stark and fresh reminder of how close the margin is at Iowa to being in or out of the big dance. We had a team worthy of being just barely in but were left out.

anyone who starts a Thread get prepared for the NIT after this team has played 3 games,,,,,is a moron...a freaken moron.

Usually when there's something that cannot be argued in an opinion it's confirmed when the rebuttal opinion comes back with name calling. That's a dead give away for 'yes I have concerns too'.

Usually when there's something that cannot be argued in an opinion it's confirmed when the rebuttal opinion comes back with name calling. That's a dead give away for 'yes I have concerns too'.

and U are so smart..u now can determine what concerns others have and the dead give away that determines that.

U are such a smart guy to start a dumb ass thread...being such a smart guy U could have at least waited til we lost a game...

I only have one opinion of U and it has zero to do with Iowa BB.

U know the guy that was yelling last night when we shot free throws...that wasnt U was it? I loved it went the band told him to shut up when he got ahead of himself.

It was from the past but the point was I tried to mention that Seton Hall out of the Big East has become a really solid program again. Several poo-poo'd that warning and blew it off only to be stunned that we lost only to go into meltdown mode.

I'm not asking for respect of my opinions in the least. Why does that matter? Hold grudges if you want to.

Last season should be a stark and fresh reminder of how close the margin is at Iowa to being in or out of the big dance. We had a team worthy of being just barely in but were left out.

I'm not the one that brought up something from a year ago...

And as far as last season, I just posted some fan opinions about it and it sure doesn't seem like many thought we were a just barely in team.

and U are so smart..u now can determine what concerns others have and the dead give away that determines that.

U are such a smart guy to start a dumb ass thread...being such a smart guy U could have at least waited til we lost a game...

I only have one opinion of U and it has zero to do with Iowa BB.

U know the guy that was yelling last night when we shot free throws...that wasnt U was it? I loved it went the band told him to shut up when he got ahead of himself.

So let me get this straight.... you are the one expressing displeasure instead of just stating your rebuttal of why you think we will make the tourney which you could be proven right ... but while you are tossing out vitriol you are thinking I am the one yelling at the game against Grambling? Ok.

So let me get this a straight.... you are the one expressing displeasure instead of just stating your rebuttal of why you think we will make the tourney which you could be proven right ... but while you are tossing out vitriol you are thinking I am the one yelling at the game against Grambling? Ok.

what U should get straight is I think you are a moron for posting a thread Prepare for NIT after 3 games and then tell others to be objective & not drink the kool aid. NOW thats funny.

U obviously were not at the game last night..as U didnt get the yelling & the band part.

Where did I say we would make the NCAA? OR not....lets try this again..to judge this team from 3 games is brutally unfair and I would suggest there isnt a player on this team who wouldnt think they need fans like you like they need a toothache.

I'm not the one that brought up something from a year ago...

And as far as last season, I just posted some fan opinions about it and it sure doesn't seem like many thought we were a just barely in team.

I brought it up so it's on me. I think it was in relation to something disputed or being discussed. When we make the tourney this year which would be great you can hold this opinion over me forever. No problem from my end.

We had some excellent wins last year including wins over tourney teams ISU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, Purdue, etc. and one ripped away at Minny. We some bad losses too including UNO. We tied at 10-8 for fifth in the B1G with 4 other teams and were the only one of the 4 not to get in. We lost Tyler Cook early in he season for a stretch which was not factored in. I'd argue we had as many good wins as many of the final 4-8 teams to get invited. I'd also bet there were a number of teams that got in that did not beat 5 different tourney teams. The RPI is total crap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT