19. Miami (FL) ACC
20. Texas A&M SEC
21. Arizona B12
22. NC State ACC
23. USC B10
24. Kansas B12
25. Iowa B10

Others receiving votes:​

Washington (123); Louisville (95); Virginia Tech (64); SMU (47); Memphis (44); Boise State (30); Auburn (25); West Virginia (22); Wisconsin (17); Liberty (15); Iowa State (15); Kentucky (12); Florida (11); South Carolina (10); North Carolina (6); UNLV (5); Maryland (5); UCF (4); Texas Tech (4); UTSA (3); Tulane (2); Texas State (2); Nebraska (2); Colorado (2); Appalachian State (2); Troy (1); Syracuse (1); Miami (OH) (1); James Madison (1); Air Force (1)

Last edited:
Scott Frost taught everyone an expectations lesson with respect to Nebbie football. They're going to have to win more than 5 games before the hype machine gets ginned up again.
So did Callahan, so did Riley, so did Pelini. There have been a number of over hyped head coaches at Nebby

Preseason Coaches Poll​

1. Georgia (46) SEC
2. Ohio State (7) B10
3. Oregon B10
4. Texas (1) SEC
5. Alabama SEC
6. Ole Miss SEC
7. Notre Dame ACC / Independent
8. Michigan B10
9. Penn State B10
10. Florida State ACC
11. Missouri SEC
12. LSU SEC
13. Utah B12
14. Clemson ACC
15. Tennessee SEC
16. Oklahoma SEC
17. Kansas State B12
18. Oklahoma State B12
19. Miami (FL) ACC
20. Texas A&M SEC
21. Arizona B12
22. NC State ACC
23. USC B10
24. Kansas B12
25. Iowa B10

Others receiving votes:​

Washington (123); Louisville (95); Virginia Tech (64); SMU (47); Memphis (44); Boise State (30); Auburn (25); West Virginia (22); Wisconsin (17); Liberty (15); Iowa State (15); Kentucky (12); Florida (11); South Carolina (10); North Carolina (6); UNLV (5); Maryland (5); UCF (4); Texas Tech (4); UTSA (3); Tulane (2); Texas State (2); Nebraska (2); Colorado (2); Appalachian State (2); Troy (1); Syracuse (1); Miami (OH) (1); James Madison (1); Air Force (1)
Coaches not expecting much from the G5 this season. Hopefully one team will emerge as the clear best-of-the-rest and we have a fairly good #5-#12 first round CFP game.

On average, about 9 teams that start the year in the Top 25 finish the season unranked. So, who are the 9 from this year's poll?

I'm going with:

1. Michigan
2. Missouri
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma
5. Oklahoma State
6. Miami
7. Texas A&M
8. Arizona
9. USC

Klatt's Top 25...........................he did it and put Braska in there.

25. Texas A&M

Here's a team that I've given a lot of grief to over the years, but it's a team I do believe in, and I like the direction they're going. Mike Elko begins his era there after the six seasons under Jimbo Fisher. What did six seasons and $76 million in buy-out money get you? A top-25 spot. Good job, that's money well spent.

Elko is familiar with College Station. I like him long-term — I question what they will be this year, but they still have talent, even with all the departures they've had in the transfer portal.

One big addition that I really like: their new offensive coordinator. This was a great hire, Collin Klein, coming from Kansas State, and I really like him as a coach.

24. Iowa

Iowa is just so steady. When you take a closer look, you realize it's going to be rock solid on defense again — shocking to nobody — and it should be better on offense. I said it, publicly here and into a microphone. We'll see if that happens.

I'm a big believer in Kirk Ferentz. It's a team that won 10 games last year and has 17 starters returning. By the way, Iowa had the worst offense in the country. So if the Hawkeyes are able to pair a veteran defense with what should be an improved offense, and looking at a very favorable schedule, watch out.

23. Nebraska

I'm high on this program. Matt Rhule told us on "Big Noon Conversations" that he feels like he's ahead of schedule at Nebraska. It's a team that went 5-7 last year. On its face, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. However, if you dig a little bit, you'll see that the Cornhuskers lost four of those games by exactly three points, and they turned it over 15 times in those games. Those could easily become wins, and then you're talking about an eight-win team in its first year, and don't you feel a whole lot different about that?

By the way, 13 of those 15 turnovers were by the quarterback. So now they're getting a new quarterback, and maybe that's Dylan Raiola. I know he's a true freshman, and you never know exactly how he's going to play, but this guy is talented. He looks like Patrick Mahomes. I don't know if he's gonna play like that, but he's a clone of Mahomes. The way he moves reminds me of Mahomes in college when he was at Texas Tech. If he plays like that at all, watch out for Nebraska.

22. Clemson

I understand this might seem like a low ranking for Clemson, but it's been trending in the wrong direction. Cade Klubnik has got to step up. Garrett Riley's offense has got to step up. I look at this schedule and I don't like it. It isn't what it was four years ago, and looking at its schedule, there is a real chance that this team could be 2-3 in their first five games. It's just a bad schedule for them. You're telling me they're going to need to upset Georgia or Florida State to be considered in an at-large situation or even get to the ACC championship game? I don't know that the Tigers got that in them this year.

21. Arizona

This is a team I'm high on. What a year the Wildcats had last year. After the exodus of their head coach, you might think there would be an exodus of players, but that didn't happen. They might have the best quarterback-wide receiver combination in the country with Noah Fifita and Tetairoa McMillan. I'm a big fan of Brent Brennan, their new head coach.

Arizona could make some waves in the new Big 12. Now, the Wildcats do have to play at Kansas State and at Utah within the first four games of the year. They are going to need to win one of those games. If they do that, the rest of the schedule is very manageable.

20. Kansas

I think we all need to be prepared for the fact that if Kansas has its quarterback, Jalon Daniels, healthy all year, then it could not only have the Big 12 Player of the Year, but it could be competing for a Big 12 championship game spot. Which means if Kansas wins that, the Jayhawks would be competing for a playoff spot. I don't think that's out of the question.

Don't be surprised if this team is 7-0 in October, as the schedule sets up pretty well for the Jayhawks early.

Washington seems highly over-rated to me at #26. Lost their whole team and coaching staff.

OK also highly over-rated given their schedule. They may end up 6-6 this year.
I expect WA to reload on talent. The coaching change is a bigger question, sure. I'd be surprised if they're as bad as people are predicting.

Nebby and Wisky have really good coaches and I expect them to trend up. They will take some games away from some folks.
I'm still not sold on a Wisky "air raid" offense re: who is at QB/WR, etc, it just doesn't make sense. Wisky and Iowa both very self aware relative to their schemes and who they are/aren't. They will def have to prove it. Slinging the ball 50 times a game in Madison just isn't Wisky football.

Klatt's Top 25...........................he did it and put Braska in there.

25. Texas A&M

Here's a team that I've given a lot of grief to over the years, but it's a team I do believe in, and I like the direction they're going. Mike Elko begins his era there after the six seasons under Jimbo Fisher. What did six seasons and $76 million in buy-out money get you? A top-25 spot. Good job, that's money well spent.

Elko is familiar with College Station. I like him long-term — I question what they will be this year, but they still have talent, even with all the departures they've had in the transfer portal.

One big addition that I really like: their new offensive coordinator. This was a great hire, Collin Klein, coming from Kansas State, and I really like him as a coach.

24. Iowa

Iowa is just so steady. When you take a closer look, you realize it's going to be rock solid on defense again — shocking to nobody — and it should be better on offense. I said it, publicly here and into a microphone. We'll see if that happens.

I'm a big believer in Kirk Ferentz. It's a team that won 10 games last year and has 17 starters returning. By the way, Iowa had the worst offense in the country. So if the Hawkeyes are able to pair a veteran defense with what should be an improved offense, and looking at a very favorable schedule, watch out.

23. Nebraska

I'm high on this program. Matt Rhule told us on "Big Noon Conversations" that he feels like he's ahead of schedule at Nebraska. It's a team that went 5-7 last year. On its face, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. However, if you dig a little bit, you'll see that the Cornhuskers lost four of those games by exactly three points, and they turned it over 15 times in those games. Those could easily become wins, and then you're talking about an eight-win team in its first year, and don't you feel a whole lot different about that?

By the way, 13 of those 15 turnovers were by the quarterback. So now they're getting a new quarterback, and maybe that's Dylan Raiola. I know he's a true freshman, and you never know exactly how he's going to play, but this guy is talented. He looks like Patrick Mahomes. I don't know if he's gonna play like that, but he's a clone of Mahomes. The way he moves reminds me of Mahomes in college when he was at Texas Tech. If he plays like that at all, watch out for Nebraska.

22. Clemson

I understand this might seem like a low ranking for Clemson, but it's been trending in the wrong direction. Cade Klubnik has got to step up. Garrett Riley's offense has got to step up. I look at this schedule and I don't like it. It isn't what it was four years ago, and looking at its schedule, there is a real chance that this team could be 2-3 in their first five games. It's just a bad schedule for them. You're telling me they're going to need to upset Georgia or Florida State to be considered in an at-large situation or even get to the ACC championship game? I don't know that the Tigers got that in them this year.

21. Arizona

This is a team I'm high on. What a year the Wildcats had last year. After the exodus of their head coach, you might think there would be an exodus of players, but that didn't happen. They might have the best quarterback-wide receiver combination in the country with Noah Fifita and Tetairoa McMillan. I'm a big fan of Brent Brennan, their new head coach.

Arizona could make some waves in the new Big 12. Now, the Wildcats do have to play at Kansas State and at Utah within the first four games of the year. They are going to need to win one of those games. If they do that, the rest of the schedule is very manageable.

20. Kansas

I think we all need to be prepared for the fact that if Kansas has its quarterback, Jalon Daniels, healthy all year, then it could not only have the Big 12 Player of the Year, but it could be competing for a Big 12 championship game spot. Which means if Kansas wins that, the Jayhawks would be competing for a playoff spot. I don't think that's out of the question.

Don't be surprised if this team is 7-0 in October, as the schedule sets up pretty well for the Jayhawks early.

Klatt has been promoting Debby to improve for years. Hasn't happened yet. Picked Debby higher than the hawks even though we've owned them for years. When was their last winning season? 2016?

I'd say Arizona definitely overrated.
Apparently someone didn't get the memo that Jedd Fisch went to UW. Huskies may not be as good as last year, but they're getting no respect whatsoever. They won't make the national title game again, but I highly doubt they'll fall off a cliff and finish 5-7 either.

I'm sure the SJSU coach was a solid hire, but... not buying Zona as Top 25.

Apparently someone didn't get the memo that Jedd Fisch went to UW. Huskies may not be as good as last year, but they're getting no respect whatsoever. They won't make the national title game again, but I highly doubt they'll fall off a cliff and finish 5-7 either.

They have 2 returning starters, it is going to be an insane uphill battle with that lineup. They are at Iowa, at Penn State, at Oregon, with USC, and Michigan at home. they will be 7-5 or 6-6.

I know on the Training Camp Tour that DInardo I believe commented they (Washington) may have trouble with physical teams, especially on defense.

I believe they had 40 something new guys in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT